Chapter 21

Alive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Gardener...?” Seungri was seriously shocked at what the House Keeper just said out. Did he hear it right? A gardener...?

But before Seungri could react from his shock, the loud voice of ‘PRANG’ was heard from around them in which automatically drew the attention of them. Turning to find the source of the voice, Seungri was shock to see the young man he’s been looking for, just stood not far from him with the same shock expression on his face.

“Chan... Chansung...” Seungri stuttered in his words as his eyes never left the figure he used to call ‘best friend’ of his.

However, it seemed like Chansung was the one who snapped out of his shock first as he turned around immediately to leave the place. Seungri reacted fast as he ran towards the figure and stopped in front of him, blocking the young man from walking away.

As the two young men were facing each other, no words were exchanged from both of them as their eyes never left each other; lots of mixed feelings battled inside their hearts.

It was Seungri who first broke the silence with his sincere words, “How... How are you?”

That one sincere question stunned Chansung as he was touched. He sighed as he turned his eyes away from Seungri. “I’m fine.” He answered shortly. Chansung didn’t think himself worthy for Seungri to ask him that question.

Seungri was clearly sad to see his friend who looked away from him. “Yah Hwang Chansung! Why didn’t you come to fetch me when I was released? I am so disappointed in you!” Seungri then decided to get mad at his friend to get his attention. He was really sad to see his friend ignored him. For Seungri, no matter who could have happened before, it’s all in the past. He just missed his friends by his side. He misses all the happy time they used to spend together.

Chansung was definitely surprised at Seungri shout at him that he turned to look at him immediately just to witness a smile on Seungri face. Just at that moment, Chansung burst into tears as he couldn’t take it anymore. He just didn’t deserve the sincere smile Seungri threw at him.

Seungri sighed as he bent down to comfort his friend. “Yah, you haven’t even answered my questions yet.” Seungri tried to joke to comfort his friend from more tears.

“I’m sorry... I’m very sorry...” That’s all Chansung could say at that moment as he broke down in his own tears.

 

It was a while when Chansung calmed down from his tears as both friends sat by the garden bench. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you’re released.” Chansung started to apologize. “I wanted to go there, I just... I...”

However, Seungri seemed to understand his struggle. “It’s okay, I understand. I’m glad to find you now.” Seungri smiled widely at his friend. “What have you been doing for these past 2 years?”

Chansung sighed, “Like what I told you when I visited you in prison, I freed myself from them. I decided to go back to the countryside to live. I started my whole new life. I found a job in a small coffee shop and I helped out in the orphanage frequently. I was there for about 1 year and half. By then, I knew you were about to be released soon. I knew you will come back to countryside so I decided to leave. I moved back to Seoul. I found a job, and here I am; a newbie gardener for this mansion.”

Seungri was listening to his friend story. Deep down inside, he was actually happy to hear that his friend was doing alright in those past 2 years, but it’s also saddened him to think that his friend was avoiding him in the same time. He knew Chansung probably still felt guilty for what happened to him, but Seungri doesn’t want that. He never wanted his friend to blame himself for something he’s willing to take himself.

“And just like what I said to you when you visited me, I have forgiven you for the past. Past is past, Chansung-ah. I don’t want to live your life in avoiding me. I don’t want you to live your life in guilt. We’re brothers, aren’t we? Have you forgiven what we promised each other under our Apple Tree?” Seungri smiled at his friend who finally smiled along at the mention of their sweet memory together.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter