the Little piece of Park

The Sensible Ones

 

 

Morning shift was not really her thing. For an unknown reason, she was the only employee who got to be put on the morning shift. She found it boring to just stand behind the counter and playing with her phone. From nine to twelve, the amount of customer that came and go to Coffeeine can even  be counted by finger. 

 

 

CLACK

 

 

Areum immediately put her phone away and bowed, welcoming the fifth costumer for today.

“Good morning, may I help you with—“

And as she looked up, 

“You?? What are you doing here?” She could hide her look of surprised. 

 

“Hey, was that a new way of greeting the customer?”. Ken took off his sunglasses, and attach it on his shirt. He pulled the nearest chair that he can find from the door, took off his jacket and sat down.

“One frappe chino please”

 

Areum tried to not jump from the counter and hold her urge to choke him up.

“ey chaebol, this is not a restaurant, you have to come here and get your order!”

 

“Hm? jinjja?” Ken stopped scrolling his phone,

CLICK

And took a selfie. “But this place is so quiet—” He changed position as he included Areum to the scene.

“Areum! Smile!”

 

“Hey, I’m working—“

 

CLICK

 

“Ah, look at this girl behind me, why is she so not cute at all” He commented the photo, and took another one

CLICK

“Ah, this one is much better, I can upload this one and—“

 

“Jae hwan are you going to get your order or not?” Areum was not in the mood for any kind of Ken’s scenario.

 

Ken rolled his eyes as he put his phone down, and took his wallet. “What can I get with 1500 won?”He got up from his chair and walks to the counter.

 

“You can get a mineral water,” Areum open the cooler, and grab a bottle of it.

“The total is 1200 won”

 

“Alright,” He gave her his only money in his wallet.

A sneered left out of her face “50,000? I thought you were broke?” as she stopped her hand from receiving the money.

 

“Of course not, do you really think I would go around the town with less than 100,000 won in my pocket?” He grinned,

“I just need some small changes, can it be in coins?”

 

“No, we ran out of it,” She took the money from Ken, and gave him the change.

“Don't you have a better thing to do? Like classes?”

 

“I do have one! That's why I’m looking for coins, its for today lectures, the lecturer is so weird! He makes us to do some weird stuff, I bet he doesn't know how hard it is for me to look for coins” Feeling staisfied, Ken opened the bottle and took a sip.

“Ah, I think I’m just going to skip that class. Going to Ravi’s studio and play with Kyunggi is much more fun”

 

“No, you should go to that class. Not everyone has the chance to go to college ,you know—” 

“Eh, so Ravi took Kyunggi with him? is that okay?” Areum quickly changed the topic.

 

“Yeah,” 

Not just his toned, he changed his look too into a sorrow one. 

“Hey, what time does your shift end?”

 

“Three, I guess? why?”

 

 

“Okay, then I’ll come back at three!” He smiled, and put his hand on the counter and leans forward

 

“for what?—”

 

CLICK

 

Ken took a candid of Areum’s opened mouth.

“For fun! See you!!” He turned around and wave his hand goodbye right before he left the place.

 

 


 

 

 

“Hyukkie!! Hyukie! she’s here!!” A tap on His shoulder stopping him from moving on to the next class,  which was math.

“Ah! come on! just skip this class!”

 

“Said someone who almost fails for the sixth times” Hyuk threw his friend’s hand away,

“Sungjae, I’m pulling you in” He grabbed his friend by the blazer and drag him to the class.

 

“Ahh! No! Let's just skip the class! I want to see her! I want to see her!!” He whined, as he pulled his friend out.

“Come on! theres no way I can get to meet her unless you’re coming with me!”

 

“Yook Sungjae, I’m telling the teacher—“

 

Sungjae let his hands off and fixed his tie. “No! no! fine!”

“I’ll go to this class, but you have to come with me after school, okay?”

 

“Where?”

 

“Clubbing!” Sungjae winked

“Just kidding, I forgot that you’re hella rich and must stay out of trouble”. He went in first, and leave Hyuk alone in front of the class.

“Park Sanghyuk, I’m going to teach you how to be a real man!”

 

And suddenly Hyuk lost his interest in this class.

“Tsk,” he facepalmed, and go to the toilet,

“he doesn't have to yell it like that”

 


 

 

“Lee Areum Lets go!!” And on the exact time, which was 3 pm, Ken walked into the cofeeshop. He was a bit startled knowing that there are people around him, unlike earlier this morning. People initially stared at him who broke the silence and ruined the mood of an afternoon coffee.

 

“Good afternoon, may I help you with the order?” Wether she didnt  hear that or pretend to not hearthat, Areum still trying to do her obligation which was to smile at the customer, or a possible costumer, no matter what.

 

Ken walked towards the counter while stooping to people, he realised that he was a bit too loud.

“Hehe, sorry” He stooped again in front of Areum.

“So, can we go now?” he whispered..

 

“Wait, my friend is changing, you can wait outside” Areum wiped her hand with a cloth,

“Ah, look, he’s here!”

 

A guy with the same uniform as Areum came out from the back door. He still tried to knot his apron as he walked to the counter. 

 

“Ya, so handsome…” Ken muttered.

“Your friend?” His hand crosses the counter and pokes on Areum’s shoulder.

 

“You can say so,”

Areum moved closer towards Ken, and blew a whisper,

“He’s the second favorite employee after me… a noona killer—“

 

“Ah, is he a friend of yours?” And after the guy  stood behind the counter alongside with Areum, he realised the presence of Ken.

“Anyeonghasaeyo, Seo In-Guk imnida”. He bowed.

 

“Sunbae, this is my—“

 

“Ken, Park ken imnida” Ken shrugged in as he cut off the introduction.

 

“Oh, a foreigner?” In-guk looked at Areum for a confirmation,

 

“Well—“

 

“Yes, you got a problem with that?” Ken narrowed his eyes and shift his nose.

“Areum, lets go! we’re going to be late” He turned around and walks out.

 

Areum and In-guk was a little bit lost in Ken’s action. For Areum, she wondered why were did he lie about being a foreigner, and for In-guk, he was still unsure of Ken’s English that didn’t  sound convincing at all

 

“He’s a bit, you know…” Areum reached for her back, as she tried to untie the apron,

 

“Unique? Well, he seems like a good person” In-guk helped her friend who have a short arm and couldn't reach her back.

“Boyfriend?”

 

“Nope,”

Areum turned around and tied her hair up,

“Sunbae, can we switch shift on saturday?”

 

“Sure! why? you have a plan?”

 

“Yup”

 

“With him?” He pointed at the window where Ken is already cranky and sitting alone outside.

 

“and the others”

“Well, see you tomorrow!” She gave In-Guk a salute, and walk through the back door.

 

“Sure…”

 


 

“Where are we going?” Areum snatched Ken’s phone away, grabbing the attention of someone who’s been sitting in front of a coffee shop and took a lot of silly selfies.

 

“Finish with your job?” He cranks,

“You know you can always go back and help that handsome sunbae serving coffee and—“

 

“Alright then, I can get a raise too so—“

 

“No! no! I was kidding!” Ken stood up and reach for Areum’s hand, stopping her from going away.

“Seriously, he ruins the mood! I don’t like that guy!”

 

Areum sat next to him, and gave his phone back.

“Why? He’s a very good person, a very good adult”

 

“I know, but—“

He got up and walks away. “Never mind, lets go!”

 

“Ya! the bus stop is on that way!” Following her friend, Areum got up and walk towards the opposite direction of Ken.

“Where are you going?”

 

“You can just wait there, I’ll come back in a minute”. Ken didn't turn away, and disappeared in the corner.

 

“What’s up with him… he’s so weird…”. Areum sighed and went alone to the bus stop

    .

 

 

 

 

 

 

“He said a minute, but its almost ten!” Areum looked at the clock on her phone.

“Did he bail on me?”

 

 

WHOOSH.

 

A black sedan emerged and stop in front of her. The driver did not turn the engine off and stayed there. wondering if there was another person in the area., Areum looked around, But a quick look was enough to tell her that she’s alone.

 

“This is not a good thing…” She tried to look inside the car, but the window was too dark.

Weird thoughts started popping into her head.

“Should I go?” Areum looked at her phone again,

“Oh, I can just call Ken and…” She quickly press the last number on the phone call.

 

“The number you are calling is—“

 

BEEP

 

She hung up, and pressed on the numbers again.

 

“The number you—“

 

“Ken, seriously?!” Areum freaked out and look at the car again. 

After a while she stood and got her eyes on the car, there was no respond, thus She tried to make another call.

 

“The number—“

 

And without having a second thought, Areum walked away from the bus stop, hoping that the car would stay there. She kept on looking back, and ended up with the worst scenario. The car did follow her from the back.

“Tsk! This has to be a joke, right?” She got a grip on her back, and walked faster.

 

And as she raised her pace, the car too. The sound of the engine was getting closer and louder. There’s no need for her to look back and check on the car again cause she knew that she was only meters away from the car. 

 

She took a quick stop, kneeled and tightened her shoe laces.  

“Thank god I use sneakers,” Then got up, and run for her life.

 

While running, she didnt stop with the phone call, as she made more of it.

“Ya! pick it up! come on!”

 

“The number you—“

 

“Ravi too? now who should I call? Leo?”

She scrolled for his number.

“Wait! But I don't have his number!“. 

She tried to maintain her pace and breath, dividing her eyes on the street and the phone.

“This is not funny!! Ken! Pick it up—“

 

WHOOOSSH.

 

The car passed by, and stop again in front of her.

 

BEEPPP! BEEP!!.

 

It honked.

 

 

 

Areum stopped running and back away.

“Okay, Areum, relax, you have a blue belt in taekwondo so you—“

She stopped muttering right after she saw the front door open. There was no one on the passenger seat, but then  a guy in a sunglasses leaned out and made an appearance. 

 

He took off his sunglasses and glared at her.

“Ya!!! Why are you running away?!”.

 

“Ken?!”. Areum rubbed her eyes.

“What are you doing in there?”

 

“Driving? du-uh!”

He scoffed.

“Are you going to run again? huh?” 

 

With a sighed arum got herself into the car.

“Who’s car is this?” She looked at Ken who wasn't not amused.

“Nice car…” She felt the leather seat that pampering her shoulder.

 

“it’s Hyuk’s, but he still illegal, so I drive it for him”. He put on his sunglasses again, and held on to the steer. Shifted the gears, and stepped on the pedal.

 

“Woah… you can drive…” Areum felt the nice shift of the car movements. It was smooth. 

 

“Of course I can, do you really think that I use driver?” He shrugged.

 

“No I thought you’re the humble chaebols who uses bus to go anywhere” Areum checked on the back seat, and found it fill with books.

 

“No, that’s Hyuk, not me. I’m the heirs~” He clucked.

 

“Now that you mention it, you don't drive him to school, why?”

 

“Cause I can't wake up early and as you can see, he can use busses”

The car stopped on the intersection, as the light turned red.

“This car is too flashy for him, dad is such a spoiler”

 

“Ah… I see, but where do you keep this car? and what about the Van?” 

 

“We keep it in my house, so I went there earlier today.” 

“And the Van was my car… or Taekwoon’s… I forgot… it just there for some reason.” He took off his sunglasses and wipe it with his shirt.

 

“I thought that you were a kidnapper, your movement was so smooth to the point where it's becoming suspicious—” Areum muttered.

and when she checked on the steer, “Ah, look! There’s even ‘Park Sanghyuk’ written here!” she found another surprise.

 

“Please, Our dad is so tacky…” He pouted.

“And then people said that I was a duplicate of him! that is so—“

 

“Cool!” Areum exclaimed.

“I bet your dad is a cool guy too!”

 

Ken turned his face on Areum before he shifting gears,

“Thank you…”

 

“You’re welcome,”

 

 

 

 

In between her words, Areum seemed busy as she looked for something in her bag,

“Where is it…”

 

“What are you looking for?” Ken wondered, Areum was so noisy whenever she’s searching for something. She always brought a lot of things on her bag.

 

“My earphone! I want—“

 

“No! No!” Ken pulled the car over.

“Are you going to ditch me?”. He snatched the phone and plug it to the stereo.

“Okay, what do you want to play? Super junior? big bang? shinwa?”

 

“Ah… Bob Marley…”

 

Rather than drop the phone, Ken chose to gave the phone back to the owner.

“what?”

 

“Yeah, Suddenly I’m feeling bob marley” She clicked the play the button.

 

‘So I've got to push on through. But while I'm gone, I mean, 

Everything's gonna be all right! ‘

 

“Everything’s gonna be all right!!” Areum jammed in.

 

 

 

 

 

“You.. You have a unique taste of music…” Ken muttered as he started to drive again.

 

“But I listen to all kinds of music too, and of course I listen to K-pop! you know, like g.o.d, H.o.t….” With her fingers, she tried to count.

 

“How about the newer generation?” 

 

“Ah, I have fantastic baby! And Sorry-sorry, would you like to listen to that?” She quickly moved her hand on the screen

 

“No, no, it's okay, I’m the one who ask you to use the stereo, it's okay…” 

 

But Areum is insisted to change the music.

“Okay, how about this one—“

 

“No its—“

“Okay……….” Again, Ken was shocked by Areum’s playlist.

“Yiruma? you listen to classical music too?”

 

“Yeah, Me and Kyunggi always listen to this whenever he seems bored or cranky”

 

CLICK

 

In a flash, She took a picture of Ken, “Ahahaha, you too, you seem a bit off today, hope you calmed down a little”

 

Ken tried to ignore the flash and keep on driving.

“Really? Me? Off? huh—“

 

 

 

“Ken, where are we going?” 

CLICK

CLICK

with the phone still on her hand, Areum started to take more picture of the street they passed by.

 

“Eh?”

“Picking up Kyunggi, Ravi said that he needs to go somewhere and he’s not allowed to bring a baby with him”

 

“Ah, I’m so sorry! Taking care of Kyunggi is supposed to be my job, not you guys—“

 

“No, seriously, it's fun. It's like we have a new innocent little brother. Hyuk is no longer innocent, that's why it's fun to have Kyunggi around” Ken chuckled.

“Just look at Leo, he seems like he wants to adopt that child…”

 

“Ahahahaahha, I know, he’s dangerous” With her thought of it, she laughed.

“It must be fun to have a big brother like you guys. I’m glad that Kyunggi is with the right hyungs”

 

 

 

 

 

“The right Hyung, huh….” Ken stopped smiling

“You know when I look at Kyunggi, it makes me thinks about Hyuk too—”

“wait, why am I being this mushy? I supposed to be the snobby one, right?” He changed topics.

 

“Aahahhaha, No matter how snobby and 'kennish' you are, you’re a brother of someone. its only natural”

 

CLICK

 

And like always, without thinking about the other’s feelings, She casually checked on the picture that she just took. “Even if you guys don't look like one....”

 

“Ahahaha, yup, we don't look like one,”

“I’m much more cuter, right??” He smirked.

 

“Aahahahaha, that I don’t know,”

“But I bet you guys must be popular at school--”

 

“Woah! Do you wanna hear the story of the chaebols going to the same school??” He exclaimed.

 

“Sure, should I note the name of girls that you guys dated?” Areum put her hand ready on the phone.

 

“No, no, no, no, no! Lee Areum you ruin the best part!!” Ken pouted.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Not having a girlfriend through the high school was the best part!! Come on!” He claimed,

“Can you believe that the two park, sons of the park who owns the park department store, both are rich, talented, and equally handsome, well the older brother is slightly more handsome, going to the same school and not—“.

 

“You guys went to the same school?! You went to Hanlim??” Areum almost jumped from her seat.

“But… but you’re taking business and—“

 

“Why? Was it that weird?” Ken took off his sunglasses just so he could stared at her.

“I can sing you know, I can act too, I’m talented”

“Come to think of it, I should be an idol…”

 

“But… but why are you taking the opposite direction?” Areum tried to connect the dots.

 

“Cause I’m the older brother, the heirs, the one who needs to do what his father told him to do”. Ken shrugged.

“Don't pity me, is not like I waste my dream or anything, I’m still happy with the fact that there’s a huge possibility that I’m going to be richer than Hyukkie”

 

“Right…”

“So you’re okay with it?”

 

“Totally okay with it. It just felt like there’s camera around the house that filming the drama of being the eldest son, like, you know, the heir, but the story are literally about the reality of being the heir… ” Ken blabbers.

 

“Is that why you decided to move out?”.

 

 

 

A long pause from both of them entered.

 

“Yeah, it's easier to be put like that”

He hummed,

“Anyway, where were we?”

 

“Oh, the two chaebols who went to the same school…” As the story expanded, Areum tried to follow him.

 

“Yes! Right! So, I went to hanlim first, I repeat my first year of high school and thats why when Hyuk enters Highschool I’m still a senior,” He explained.

“Dont ask me why I repeat my first year of high school cause its a long story too—“

 

“Okay, next?” Areum kinda get the idea Of Ken who didnt want to talk about why he repeated a year.

 

“Yeah, I wasn't famous at first, I went to school with bus,”

“I repeat! I went to school with bus!!” he raise his finger and exclaimed.

 

“Ahahaha, okay, okay, I buy it”

 

“And then, since I am obliged to keep my grades descent, I don't have time to socialize, that is basically why I didn't have a girlfriend back then,”

 

“How about now?” Areum politely asked.

 

Ken choked up.

“Eh? no— I don’t!” He looked at Areum who doesn't seem interested with her own question.

“Anyway, I was popular, okay??? girl asked for my number and they said that I’m the cutest thing alive!”

 

“Right….” Areum started to play with her phone.

 

“But unfortunately Hyuk is a bit unlucky,” he continued

“Unlike me, he was flashy as Ferrari when he makes his high school debut”

 

“What do you mean?” Areum put her phone down once she’s interested.

 

“Well, he is daddy’s little baby, so dad didn’t want him to wake up earlier to catch on the bus or do anything that is more human alike, so he was forced to go to school with a car, flashier than this one, and bodyguards. Like I told you, our dad is tacky” Ken frowned.

“And since being Hyuk is much more convenient, I went with the same routine as him,”

 

“Ah…”

 

“To come to school with such a flashy ritual in the morning gain attentions, and then suddenly Hyuk become a one hit wonder. They even thought I was his undercover bodyguard….” He quoted with his hands.

 

“Ahahaahahhaha” 

 

 

 

“But it's true that, I am his bodyguard”

Ken sighed.

“I love sanghyukkie! He’s the cutest thing alive after me and Kyunggi! I might be a mean brother at home but I don't want anyone to hurt him at school”

 

“Why would they want to hurt Hyuk?” Areum threw another question.

 

“Hmmm, the thing about being different, and in this case, is about being filthy rich,”

A mutter was all he had.

“You start to wonder what are the things that you can have, that money can’t buy,”

And after a paused to catch up on his thought, Ken continued. 

“I, who have lived as a normal student for two years, have the chance to know what is real and what is not, who is sincere and who is not”

“But Hyuk who was an innocent baby doesn't know anything about life and what awaits. Just like money, people came and goes at him. He has lots of acquaintances, but not a single friend. I start to worry when he asks for more allowance to dad, when he doesn't even eat anything but his packed meals”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, but that wasn't the worse case. Once, he really-really like this girl, he does anything for her, he gives her presents, attentions, and I even thought that they were dating already. But then one day I found her kissing on a restaurant with another guy, wearing the shoes and bracelets that Hyuk gave to her, and—“

 

“How could she do that?!” Areum couldn't help it,

“…”. she just has to curse.

 

“I know right, and I just took a photo of them and then I show it to hyuk—“

 

“And then what????”

 

“Thank god he did the right thing. He start to forget the girl existence while crying on his pillow all night long,”

“ Hufft, that was painful to watch…”

 

“Hyukkie, you don't deserve such a painful love story….” Areum mumbles, try to not cry.

 

“And after that, Hyuk started to realize on what is real and what is not. He finally realised that he just an unlucky high school student that never really had a friend. He counted all his expands, and look for those who used him. He stopped being too generous, and started to be more human. I was worried when I graduated, will he be okay without me? And thank god that he found a true friend not long after that. Sungjae, if I’m not mistaken his name is sungjae, the only guy who paid for his own meals whenever they hang out” Ken gave a sheet of tissue to Areum as he saw her eyes that started to sparkle with tears.

“What I like about the house right now is that we don't pay for the necessities”. He sneered.

“It means that they never take us for granted, They are the actual good people. We’re friends cause we are friends, not because our dad can pay for you and your son’s life”

for another red light, the car stopped. Giving Ken the opportunity to continued his words.

“Those guys make me realize that not all people bad, that money is not everything”

 

“Ken…” Areum was dumfounded.

“You’re the most philosophical and arrogant plus narcissistic, chaebol ever…”

 

“I know right…”

Ken checked on his phone, and it was almost four.

“One hour left till Hyukkie finish his school, Why am I missing him all of a sudden???”

 

And Its Areum turn to offer him a tissue.

“You love him so much, don't you?”

 

“Since he’s not here, I'm just going to say it. Yes, I love him more than the fact that I’m going to be richer than him!” He sobbed.

“Ah, sorry, I’m not manly at all, sorry…”

 

“Why? I found that really manly. A guy who cares for his family, for his loved ones, there’s nothing unmanly about that” Areum helped him with the tissue.

“Ken, you’re amazing!!! go get a girlfriend!”

 

 

Ken threw his tissue away and look at the girl who’s been listening to his long and unimportant story with all her hearts. He put his hand on her head, and rans through her hair.

“No, You should get a boyfriend, he’ll be the happiest man alive”

 

“ya, ken…” Areum mumbled

“Am I like a sister now? Or?” she looked at the hand of ken who still on her head.

 

Ken got rid of his hand and look away,

“Sorry, Its just that Your hair is too soft—“

“what— What shampoo did you use?” He was fidgety to his bones.

 

“Ahahahaha, I use  the same shampoo as you guys! babo Ken!”

 

“Ya, Babo ken..”

 

 


 

 

 

“Hyuk! why are you still single? its so annoying!! I will never get a girlfriend because of you!!” Sungjae whined as he clinged more onto his friend’s shoulder.

 

“And so does being too touchy-touchy with me,” Hyuk pushed him away and tried to concentrate with his phone.

 

“Ya! You haven't moved on from that girl??” Being treated like that, Sungjae started to play with his friend’s bag for some attention.

“Come on, I know that it wasn’t a good cheot sarang but—“

 

“Do you still want me to accompany you or not? I still can catch on the next bus and go home” Still, he didn't let his eyes off his phone as he walks outside the school.

 

“Sanghyuk!”

And Sungjae last move was to snatched the phone away,

“What the hell is this?!—”

 

“Hey!!! Give it back to me!!!” He tried to reach for his phone, but Sungjae didnt let him.

 

“How to….” Sungjae started to read what’s written on the screen.

“How to date an older woman—“

 

And after a little jumping, Hyuk managed to got his phone back.

 

But it was too late,

“OH my God!!! Park Sanghyuk?!?” Sungjae looked at his friend who is all red and conscious.

“Are you in love?!”