it must be? too much?

The Sensible Ones

“So Leo, you can actually drive?” After Areum finished to place her brother on the baby car seat, she went to her seat in front, as Leo awaited inside of the sedan.

 

“Yes” Leo buckled up, turn on the engine and tuned in on the radio. “Is this okay?” he didn’t even forget to ask other’s opinions.

 

“Its okay, I’m going to listen to my own playlist anyway—“

 

“You should stop doing that,” Leo turned his face on her, and sighed, “It's disrespectful”

 

Areum couldn't find any excuse for that, he was right, it was indeed disrespectful. There was only her, Leo and Kyunggi in the car, and if she chose to separate herself from his then it was like asking him to drive her, and he’s not a driver, he’s a friend. “Yeah, sorry..” 

 

After a while, Leo realized that he was talking a little bit too loud, “No, sorry for my unfriendly tone”.

 

Areum gave him the OK sign, “No, it's okay, Its me who should say sorry—“

 

“No, its me”

 

“No—“ But then she cracked into a laugh, “Sorry, but we should stop saying sorry”

 

Same as her, Leo agreed. “Yeah, we should, sorry—“ He chuckled, “haha, lets go”

 

 


 

 

“Tell me what did I miss?” Hyuk joined his hyung on the table.

 

Those who were left at home were having the same face of disappointment. “I don't know ask your cousin” Ravi got up from his chair and goes to the living room.

 

Hakyeon scanned around the atmosphere, “It's just Taekwoon being taekwoon, you know—“

 

 

 

 

“Can you stop covering for him?” Hongbin intruded his brother, “Seriously, it's obvious, he just wants to steal her away”. Hongbin looked at everyone, who was also looking back at him. He then realized that he was being too ‘honest’, “Guys I mean—“

 

“Hongbin, can I talk to you for a second?” Hakyeon gazed at him, “As brother to brother?” He got up from his seat and come to his brother, asking him to get up and walk with him.

 

“What? Why?” in refusal, Hongbin stayed in his chair.

 

“You little brat, when I say come with me then you have to come with me” Hakyeon grabbed his brother’s arm and dragged him to the other room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

And so, Only the Park brothers who were left in the dining room. “Hyung,” The maknae approached his brother who still continued eating. “What— what did I miss again?” and it was because He's confused, about what just happened.

 

“Wait, You don't get it?” Ken put down his knife and fork, “Like, at all?”

 

Hyuk nodded at him. 

 

“Okay… I thought It was kinda obvious” Ken tried to recall, “Well, if you don't get it, then it will probably make your life easier” He chuckled.

 

“Hyung I don't get it, and I don't get you” Hyuk sat next to him, “Like, at all”

 

Ken gave his brother a warm hug, “Bro, I don't know what kind of battle that you're going through ahead—“

 

“Battle?” Hyuk backed away,

 

“Hsst! Let me finish it! I want to sounds cool!” But Ken pulled in for the unfinished hug, “What ever happened in the future, I will have your back, no matter what—”

 

“No matter what?” Hyuk just laughed at his brother, as he was being more random than the usual. “Even if it hurts? Or unbeneficial?”

 

 

 

 

Ken tightened his grip, and hid his face on his brother’s shoulder, “Yes, even if its uncool and and lame and—“ He choked on his word, “And yeah, I’ll be right here” He looked up and grinned at his brother, “Okay, Hyukkie?”

 

No matter how annoying his brother is, that kind of things always remaining Hyuk on the person who always got his back, even before he was born. “Okay, Hyung, stop being dramatic” He gave him a tissue that just happened to be in front of him.

 

“Can you wipe it for me” Ken clung onto him, “Please?” And pointed at his watery eyes.

 

“Ah, fine” This side of Ken, “You should do this kind of thing to your girlfriend, not me”. Hyuk gently wiped his brother’s tears.

 

“Well, of course, but after you” Ken winked.

 

Hyuk put his hand down, “What?”

 

“No, never mind” Ken got up, and rubbed his brother’s hair. “lalalala~”

 


 

 

Hakyeon dropped his brother’s hand after they got into the room that they shared together. “Now you explain it to me, what was that?” Hakyeon leaned on the door, and threw a judgmental look towards his brother. “You’re the cool one right, so what was that?”

 

And because Hakyeon blocked his only way out, “What do you mean?” So Hongbin could only try his best to pretend that he didn't know a thing.

 

“Huh, I lived three years longer than you, don't mess with me, not now” It was a clear statement from Hakyeon, “Why did you sounds so aggressive earlier?” 

 

More than anything, Hongbin hated it when his brother getting all serious, cause then he will always got he wanted, “Look, I was just frustrated, because of the agenda cancellation” He threw himself to the bed. 

 

“Yeah, me too, I don't like it when taekwoon acted like that,” As he spoke, Hongbin started to cover his face with a pillow, “Nor when Areum decided to go with him”. Hakyeon waited for his brother to show his face. “But, Hongbin do you like her?” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re such an old hag” Hongbin ‘shared’ a pillow with him, as he randomly threw it to the door. “Who are you to talk?”

 

The pillow hit him in the face, and it was not really a good thing. “You just avoid the question, but I’ll just pretend that i’m a clueless and a stupid big brother”

 

Hongbin clenched his teeth and fist his hand, “Hyung, please—“

 

“I know you more than anyone” Hakyeon sat next to his brother who still sink his face in the mattress. “I know it when you’re angry, when you’re happy, when you’re sad, when you’re scared, and when you’re in love” He stopped there, catching a breath, “You turn into a sensitive, high schooler, when you’re in love, and I hate that part” He caressed his brother from the back, pat on his shoulder, “But I hate it more when you try your best to hide something from me”

 

Hongbin got up, but still chose to facing his back on him, “What do you want?”

 

Hakyeon leaned on his brother, “I just want to tell you that,” as he  looked at the ceiling as if its a sky a right there “Since you seems trying your best to hide the truth, then my hand  are tied, I won't give you any help” 

 

“Hyung—”

 

 He leaned harder to make his brother fell with him. “And I will stay quiet, so I'm sorry, you’re on your own”

 

 

 


 

 

“Latte, right?” Areum just got back from the coffeshop to buy their delayed breakfast. She handed a cup of coffee to Leo, who looked after her sleeping brother inside the car. “Huh, I don't think it taste better than mine” The fact that she herself is a barista, was a bit ironic

 

“I like your coffee the most,” Leo muttered.

 

“Seriously?!” Areum pausing herself from taking the first sip, “Mine’s taste better?!”

 

It wasn't really obvious whether Leo agreed with it or just casually drink the coffee without making any sound.

 

“Ah, you’re right! Mine’s better!” So it was free for her to a made her own assumption.

 

“What food did you buy?” Leo noticed that Areum still got a plastic bag with her.

 

“Sandwich, do you want chicken or tuna?” Areum gave him a two irresistible option.

 

“No thanks, I’m not hungry, ” he set his eyes back on the road, “is it okay for—“

 

“AISH!! My phone!! I forgot my phone!!”and as always, The girl was being careless, “Aish! baboya!!”    

 

Leo looked around, “Did you leave it on the coffeshop??” 

 

“No-no-no, I did not take out my phone” Areum was sure of it, “Oh lets hope that I left it at the villa, can you please call for it??”

 

He quickly took out his phone and call to the number.

 

 

 

 


 

 

BZZZT

 

Ravi checked on the phone that placed next to his feet on the coffee table. “Isn't this, areum’s?”

 

“Oh yes, we bumped into each other and then she dropped it, I was trying to—“

 

BZZZTTT BZZZTTT

 

Hyuk’s explanations got disturbed by the phone and it sounds. “It's from Leo… so it must be her, right?” Ravi has seen the caller id, but still asking for a confirmation.

 

“Yes! Yes! Pick it up, she must be panicking right now!” Hyuk pressed the answer button and put it in Ravi’s ear.

 

“yobo—“

 

“Ravi is that you” Both of them could hear that it was definitely Leo on the line.

 

“Yes, its me hyung—“

 

“Okay then, see—“

 

“Ravi!! Ravi! Please take care of my phone!” There was also A voice of Areum who also trying to get on the line. “Don't do anything stupid with it, okay??”

 

“ne….” Ravi gave the phone to Hyuk.

 

“Okay, then see you later” And just like that, Leo hung up, not letting the maknae to talk.

 

 

 

“Leo hyung can be….” Hyuk rest edon the couch, “demanding..”

 

“Isn't that an essential feature of a chaebol?” Ravi still got the phone in his hand.

 

“But hyung, I’m an excepti—“

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyuk, do you know this number?” Ravi showed the phone to Hyuk,

 

Areum,

 

is it possible for us to meet some time around today?

 

-unknown number

 

Hyuk shook his head, “No…” 

 

“Should we tell him that she’s not at home?” Ravi tried to look for the number again, and match it with the one on his phone.

 

“Of course not!!” Hyuk snatched the phone away, “Em, but it seems important—“

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s so important?” And suddenly Ken joined them in the living room, “Oh, did Areum forgot to bring her phone?”

 

“Hyung, do you know this number?” Hyuk showed the phone to his brother.

 

Ken took a look at it. “Wait, I have lots of contacts,” Ken retyped the number to his phone, “Nope, sorry” and found no luck with it.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, isnt that her phone???” Hakyeon jumped on to the sofa and sit next to Ken. “Ah, that girl is so—“

 

Areum,

 

Is it possible for us to meet some time around today?

 

-unknown number

 

“mysterious.. oh my god, what is this??!!” Hakyeon reacted to the message that was passed on to him. 

 

“Hyung Do you know this number??” Hyuk threw the same question as he did to his brother. 

 

Hakyeon shook his head, “No, I don’t,”

 

Everyone kept staring at the phone. “The language… its very formal?” They tried to impose. “The person could be a stranger since he doesn't know that she’s away” Ken tried to read beneath the words.

 

Ravi squinted his eyes, “How do you know that he’s a he??” 

 

“Because he doesn't sound like a girl?” Ken shrugged, as he wasn’t really sure either.

 

“Ex boyfriend?” Hyuk muttered.

 

 

Everyone just exchanging stares at each other, And scoffed at their agreement, “No, That’s impossible”.

 

 

 

 

 

They kept looking at the phone again.”Oh I know!!! The handsome sunbaee!” Ken raise his hand. “Yes! Yes! It must be him!”

 

“Handsome sunbae??” 

 


 

 

 

 

“Hope they don't mess around with my phone” Areum leaned on the window. 

 

“I doubt that,” For that ride, Leo was unusually active in talking. “They’re all idiots. If I were you, i can only pray that they don't look through my gallery and—“

 

“Uuuh~ what's with your gallery, Jung taekwoon??” Areum smirked at him, “Something c o n f I d e n t I a l?” And even add a not-so-charming wink.

 

“No, there's no such things”, Leo wanted to look away or hides his face, but then, he’s driving.

 

“Ahahahhaha, That's okay, I understand that boys need privacy to” Areum threw a more sickening gaze at him.

 

naturally, Leo tried to avoid it, “Please don't do that, I’m driving”.

 

“Oh, right, sorry-sorry” Areum back on her seat.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Leo,” 

 

“Yes?”

 

“Hmmh, never mind” Areum took back her words, and looked away to the window.

 

Leo took a glance on her, “What? What were you trying to say?”.

 

“Nothing, I just ran out of topics…” She muttered.

 

Leo giggled, “That is so not you”.

 

“I know right— eh, anyway, I always wonder, since I’m a very nosy person and you’re the opposite—“

 

“Eh?” Leo couched a little, “Me?”

 

“Yes, you’re the opposite of me! You’re very-very quiet and mysterious and— wait, don't tell me that you never see yourself like that?” Areum got interested all of a sudden.

 

“I never really thought of it, I just—“

 

“You just said the things that are important, right??” Areum tried to finish it for him. “Yes and that's it! We’re like the opposite! Cause, I’m more like Ken, you know, we both blabbers a lot”

 

 

 

 

 

“But you’re better than him” Right there, Leo smiled a little.

 

“Ah!? Seriously?!” The girl gasped at it, “Aish! ahahahahahahaa, I don't think so, though! Ken is cooler than me!”

 

and in a switched, Leo got back to his usual self, “So to you, Ken is a cool person?” 

 

“Yup, of course! He might look sassy and all but like, if you know about—“

 

“Yeah, I know it, I know it all. I know him more than you, ” Leo stopped the car.

 

“Of course.., you’re his cousin anyway…”. Areum felt like she was entering the awkward zone, “Eh by the way, why are we stopping?”

 

Leo set his eyes on her, “We’re arrived”.

 

Arum unbuckled her seatbelt, “Oh, alright!! let me—“

 

But before she got to open her door, Leo got her hand first, “what were you wondering about?”

 

. “Hmm??”’ Areum got back to her seat

 

“Before, you said something about us being an opposite, what was that about?” Leo cleared out his curiosity.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh! yeah!!”  It took her some moments to remember it, “I was just wondering, since I’m a very nosy person and you’re the opposite,” She repeated it, “Have you ever feel bothered by me or anything?”

 

Leo scoffed at it.

 

‘wae?’ Areum wonders inside.

 

“what kind of question is that” Leo put his hand on her head, and her hair, “You wonder too much”