why are you like this?

The Sensible Ones

“Don't enter the room!” Ravi quickly ran to the door and stood in front, stopping Hyuk from touching the knob.

 

“Why?” Hyuk took a step back, “That's my room” and drop his bag. He was practicing tip late and still need to continue it at home. Before he continued to practice the only thing he wanted was to get changed first since his uniform was completely soak with sweat.

 

Ravi lowered his voice, “Areum is inside,” 

 

“Okay, so?”

 

 

 

Eunju answered the question by giving Hyuk the tablet that showed the live view of what happened inside. “Look, even her brother is outside” She pointed at Kyunggi who was asleep on leo’s arm. “Leave her be”

 

“Is she…” Hyuk looked carefully, “is she crying?”.

 

Everyone, including Leo quickly payed attention into the screen. Eunju changed the view into the camera that took an angle from the side where they could see her curled up in the blanket. She was shaking, trembling, but not saying a word. 

 

They looked at the door again and Ravi stuck his ears onto it, hoping that he could eavesdrop or got to hear any word from her. “But she always cries with sound,” Ravi muttered, “but now She’s soundless”

 

“Tsk—“

 

Eunju stopped Leo from going anywhere near the door. “Just look for Ken or something, I’m going to talk with her” She snatched the tablet and went inside the room. Lock it, and left the boys outside.

 

 

 

 

 

“Ken?” Hyuk looked at his two hyungs, “What’s wrong with Ken Hyung?”

 

“Well I think you really did bumped into your brother,” Leo didn't look like he would say a word, and so Ravi took the job of carefully explain it to Hyuk. “not long before you came home, he left with a not really good condition—“

 

“What?? What happened to him?!” Hyuk pulled his hair into a mess as he felt like his heat was turning into a time bomb, “Ne— never mind, I’ll look for him!” and then turned away to the door and went out of the house.

 

Argh! Hyung what is wrong with you?!?

 

 

 


 

 

 

“Do you want to talk about it or not?” Eunju stood still in front of the door as her eyes were looking at the bump on the bed. “Its just me”

 

Areum raised from the bed and sat on it. While keeping her face hidden with the blanket and turning herself into a ball of fabrics, She shook her head. “Can we switch room for tonight?”.

 

“What if I say we can’t?” 

 

“Well…” Areum shift the fabric to peek at Eunjua nd what was she doing, “I really hope that we can, I don't feel like meeting any of them”

 

Eunju moved and sat on Ken’s couch, “And why is that”

 

“Because I just don't want to”. For once, Areum made a time to be selfish.

 

 


 

 

 

“Hyung!!!” Hyuk shouted for his brother, “Hyung, I know you’re here! Where are you?!”. He just finished running five blocks away and panted in between his shouts. “Hyung!”

 

“Hyukkie what are you doing here?” From behind the slide, Ken showed himself.

 

 

They might stand on the same lot, but A sandbox and a  huge playground became a barrier for the two brothers. “How am I supposed to call you my hyung if you’re acting like Kyunggi’s age?” Hyuk sat on one of the swings, “Now you better act like my Hyung and tell me what’s wrong with you”

 

 

 

 

Three years ago.

 

 

“Hyung is it really okay for us to stay here?”  Hyuk dropped his bag and followed his brother onto one of the swings, “Dad will be very angry if he knows that we came home with bus”

 

“Seriously, its not like this is the first time we bailed on mr.Yoon ” Ken swung himself, “I told him that he should tell dad that he picked us up” 

 

 

 

Hyuk helped his brother to swing higher and higher. 

 

Since Ken entered high school and left the little hyuk alone to finish his junior high life, they hardly went home together. Each of them got to be picked by each’s driver. But then, following his brother footstep, Hyuk made it to Hanlim and went to the same school as his brother for one more year, Before Ken had to graduate. And to make up to those times where they hardly see each other face, Ken decided to take his brother to the place where he could live up to his happiness with him.  To play on a playground, like what they used to do when they were just a boy.

 

“Hyung, you’re going to college right?”

 

“Well, only after I graduate” Ken place his feet on the ground and got up. “Which is still 11 months from now” 

 

Hyuk switched places with his hyung and sat on the swing. “Are you going to take music or performance art?”

 

“None, i’ll take business or economics… or both, who knows” ken shrugged and  then helped his brother on making the first swing, “Okay, I’ll go full force—“

 

“why?” Hyuk stopped his brother from doing it as he stepped on the ground, “I don't get it, you’re even a better singer than I—“

 

“Hsst, I am not okay, my vocal range is just higher than you and that's it, ” Ken held his shoulder and shook him up.

 

“But everyone keep telling me about how awesome you are” Hyuk looked up to Ken, who stood in front of him, “They don't even believe that we’re brothers”

 

Ken rolled his eyes, “That's only because you’re a copy of mom and I’m a copy of dad. tsk, we’re here to have fun okay not being sad and ranting about useless stuff”.

 

He wanted to hug his brother, but it wasn't really his nature to do so. So instead, he gave him a subtle smile and a chuckle to appreciate him. “Will I be a good student like you?”

 

“Oh trust me,” Ken nodded, “You’ll be better than me, I’ll make sure”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ken turned around, “Come on, we’re almost late—“  and found his brother was nowhere around him. “Hyuk?” he quickly ran off  from the bus that just opened its door for him and back to the park. 

 

“Hyuk—“ He wanted to scream his name but then, when he found him, he ended up falling back and hid himself behind the bushes. “Hyuk?” He peeked through the hole to check on his brother.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyuk, my name is Park Sanghyuk” Hyuk offered her a handshake before he filled the bench empty seat next to her.

 

“Of course I know who you are, I’m Yoona, Yoon yoona” She shook the hand, and slid a little, “Thank you for helping me”

 

“No big deal,”

 

 

 

 

Ken ended up silently watching the two of them talking for almost thirty minutes. Since both of them graduated from an all boy school, It was the first time for him to see Hyuk talking to a girl for that long. And it was the first time too for him to see Hyuk constantly smiling for more than fifteen minutes. 

 

“Oh look, it's almost six! My mom will definitely kill me” between the two of them, Yoona was the first one to get up, “But before I leave, can I ask you for one thing?”

 

“Oh— sure”

 

She leaned closer to his ear and set off a subtle whisper. “Well, see you at school!” 

 

Still, with the smile written on his face, hyuk watched her slowly blend in with people on the street and disappeared. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After he saw the empty seat, “Sanghyuk,” Ken came to fill the place.

 

“Ah- Hyung! I thought you went home already!” Hyuk shook his head, “I’m sorry, i—“

 

“I saw everything,” Ken smirked, forcing his brother to blush in front of him. “Hyuk you’re growing up”

 

Hyuk looked away and hid his face, “Let's go home—“ But when he about to get up, a thing stopping him from leaving the place. “Eh? It’s her’s,” Hyuk picked up the pink wallet from the bench. “The wallet?”

 

“Yeah,” Hyuk kept it in his pocket, “I’ll— I’ll return it to her first, Hyung you go home first!” and chased her as he left his brother alone in the park.

 

 

 

 

“But you’ll meet her tomorrow at school….”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing?” Hyuk poked his brother by the cheek and woke him up. In front of the house, while sitting and rest his chin on one hand Ken fell asleep. 

 

“Oh, you’re back” Ken opened his eyes and looked up to his brother, “Lets get in—“

 

Before ken got up, Hyuk settled and sat next to him. “Were you waiting for me?” It was late already and he was ready to be scolded by their dad. But after seeing Ken sitting alone on the porch, still  with his bag  and uniform on he put aside the thought of rushing into the house. “Hyung?”

 

“No, I was just bored” Ken yawned, “aren't you hungry? I can smell some the kimchi rice that Mrs.Shin made with love”.

 

“You’re a bad liar,” Hyuk scoffed, “What if I didn't come home, will you stay here too?”

 

For Ken, it was the most ridiculous thing hyuk ever asked. “Of course I won't, I’ll look for you”. He got up and grabbed his brother by the hand as he tried to drag him inside, “Lets go! I’m hungry!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyuk I’m going to stop this,” Ken slowly made his approach, as he walked towards him. “I’ll call dad tomorrow and—“

 

Hyuk sat on one of the swings, “why would you do that?” and waited for his brother to sit on the empty one next to him, “Don't say such thing as lying is bad cause in this case, that's a total bull”  

 

Ken looked away soon after he sat on the swing. Not wanting to meet his brother’s eyes, as he felt awful and partly ashamed for agreeing with his brother’s words. “Because…”

 

“Come on say it, I’m not in the mood of—“

 

“Cause I don't want to see you frown!!” Loudly, Ken burst out his thought. “You know what, I can just call dad now and—“

 

“Why would I—“ Hyuk blinked for three times, and blushed. “Oh— Oh no, don't tell me that…”

 

“Hyuk its so obvious that you like her,” Ken turned around and looked at him, “And for that I—“

 

Hyuk cleared his throat, “First of all, I want to thank you for not saying a word about it, up until now, of course” and then move his hand to the back of his neck as he awkwardly scratches it, “wait don't tell me that you want to call it off because of that….”

 

The only answered Ken got was to Nod. 

 

“Oh my god, Hyung, seriously??” his lips twitched upwards, as he covered it with his hand, “You want to drop the lies cause you’re afraid that I’ll get jealous??”

 

Another Nod from ken. “On the text—

 

“Ahahahahahahaha,” Hyuk burst into a loud laugh, loud enough to make a sleeping cat fell from the fence, “ahahahaha, well, you’re right, I’ am jealous!” And then No nod was left for him, the only reply that he got was his blinking eyes that were left with confusion. “It's normal for a guy like me to get jealous, but Hyung, I am not a kid, it's not like I’m going to hate you or—“

 

“But on the text!! You were virtually scolding me“

 

“Oh, the text? The last text that I sent to you?” Hyuk just remembered a thing, “Well, let's be honest, I was indeed jealous and I’m sorry, I should not be cold to you like that, I was about to correct my words, but my phone ran out of battery—“ And when he saw his brother who didnt change his look and keep on frowning, Hyuk corrected his words. “But I’m okay with being completely jealous for three days as long as my brother won't lose his change on finding the right person,” A subtle smile completed his words, “And I’m pretty sure that the right person is not Eunju Noona”

 

And Finally, Park jaehwan could earn a smile. “Hyuk…”

 

 

 

 

“Hyung are you sure that dad is still in the office?” The two brother snuck inside and silently made their way upstairs.

 

“Yup, just take a bath first, then we’ll eat dinner, go!” He pushed his brother to his room and went back downstairs.

 

 

“Ah, sorry hyuk, I just have to eat first—“ He put away his glass right after he saw a person was waiting for him on the dining table. “dad, welcome home,”

 

“i’m not mad because you took the bus to get back home,” As the man finished his plate already, he grabbed a tissue to wipe his hand, “But the fact that you have no school extras and went home at eight really bothers me” There was nothing that Ken could do but to look down and waited for him to continue it. “Now tell me, whose idea was that, you or sanghyuk?”

 

 

“That was my idea,” Ken fisted.

 

“Well of course it was yours” He got up and clear his throat, “You need to change your attitude or I’m going to change it myself” and walked out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“hyung?” Hyuk who just get out of the shower, came and gave his brother a towel. Ken has not taken a shower, yet, he already worked on some paper on his desk. “Homework?”

 

“Ah, yeah,”

 

“I don't know that our school teaches us something about this kind of things…” The statistic and curves on his brother’s paper made no sense to him. 

 

“Well, they don’t,” Ken grabbed the towel and went to the bathroom.

 

 

 

 

Hyuk stayed there, and looked at the unreadable paper in front of him. There was a pile of it, and the fact that he couldn't understand a thing made him feel bad, “Hyung why are you doing this?”

 

 

 

“The fact that you think too much of me, more than you’re thinking about yourself is so annoying,” Hyuk got up, and sat down on the ground as he face his brother who was still sitting on the swing. “I want to grow up, I’m growing up, I’m not a kid, I want to stand for myself, and I can't do that if you keep looking at me as if I’m your baby brother” Ken pouted and ruffled his brothers hair, “Now I’m eighteen and soon, I’ll be an adult. But still, Everyone saw me as the youngest, as a boy and not a man, even dad. And if Ken Hyung could see me as a man before anyone else, I’ll be very happy”

 

He was holding back, but for listening at Hyuk’s earnest thought, in a whip, tears started to fall off from his eyes. 

 

“I would rant about how much I look up to you, but that would just fill your heads, so, I’ll just stop here” He continued, “Now are we done? Are we ready to go home?”

 

Ken jumped into his brother and wrapped him with his arm, “a man will carry any kind of weight on his shoulder, including his brother,” He giggled, “Give your brother a ride back home”

 

“Argh, Hyung….,” Hyuk hissed and stood up, with his brother tangled on his back. “Wait, but by being like this, I’m supposed to be the Hyung!! Hyung, you have to call me Hyung!!”

 

“Aw, no,” Ken released his hands, and back to his usual self. “Let's go home, Hyung is hungry”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“But did you really just ran out of the house because of that??” after awhile, Hyuk brought it up again. They were sitting next to each other on the bus for a ride back home and Hyuk found it awkward to just sit next to his own brother with no exchange of words.

 

“Well, it was mostly because of that” Ken nodded, 

 

“Come on Hyung, is not like you kissed her or anything, so don't think too much and just know her—“ Hyuk put his finger down, “Wait, but what if you like her after you know her… that would be—“

 

“Impossible,” Ken shook his head, “She’s all yours, don't worry” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’ll help you, don't worry”

 

“No, don’t" 

 

Ken stopped walking away from the bus stop once he felt like his brother weren’t following. 

 

“See, you’re starting it again, seeing me as a child,” none of them realize how late it was, as they took their time on standing in the empty street. “Don't stick your hand on my business, not this one” Hyuk made it clear.

 

A genuine smile left his face, “Okay, up to you--“

 

“But don't help the others too!!” Hyuk pouted, “that is of course if you still want to be my hyung”

 

“Haahahaha, of course, I’ll be neutral!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, you said it was mostly because of that, so what was the rest?” Before any of them open the gate and went inside the house, Hyuk threw a one last question.

 

“Oh, well, it's your girl,” Ken bit his lips, “When we were walking in your school hallway, she dropped her phone, and then, she suddenly changed into another person, like, she literally threw her phone away in the trash bin and then I was surprised so I kinda yelled at her—“

 

“You yelled at her?!?”

 

“Yeah, I know I feel horrible, lets not talk about it, ” Ken opened the gate and went inside. “Have you met her? Is she doing okay?”

 

“The last time i checked, she excludes herself in the room and then no one is allowed to get inside the room except for Eunju noona—“

 

“Oh come on,” instead of placing it on the rack, Ken threw his shoes away. “Eunju again?!?”

 

“What, what’s wrong with her??”

 

“She slapped me!” while patting his cheek, ken rolled his eyes, “Only because— because I kinda being rude to her, okay I need to apologize to her…” 

 

Hyuk collected his brother shoes and put it on the rack. “But still, I don't think that arum Noona is the kind of person that would lock herself just because you scold her..” he continued  with a mutter while he took off his shoes, “Argh, because of hyung I totally forgot about her!”

 

“I should not be happy over this, but thank you” Ken winked, “Well, as for Areum, I dont really know but.. Areum...”

 

 


 

“No, I don't want to switch room” Eunju got up and rest her head, “But if you want to be alone for tonight, then it's okay, I’ll tell the boys that you’re going to own this room for the night”

 

“But that would be awful…”

 

Eunju rolled her eyes, “Well, don't you think locking yourself up is a good thing?”.

 

Areum looked around, as she tried to find an answer. “Fine,”

 

With a grin, Eunju got up and exuded herself, “Okay, I’ll tell the boys to—“

 

“Sleep out side just for tonight.” Eunju stopped herself from touching the knob, “Tell them that I’m sorry but I really need to be alone”

 

“Okay…”

 

“And tell Leo that Kyunggi’s diaper is placed on the bottom left drawer of the counter, just in case”

 

“Okay…” Eunju nodded, “Anything else?”

 

“Oh, yeah, one more thing,” Areum heaved, “I know that this is random, but, Kang eunju have we met before?”

 

“I dont know, you tell me why are you like this” Eunju finally touched he knob and opened the door, “cause it might answer your question”