what should I do

The Sensible Ones

Hyuk looked at the menu and then to his friends, “Now why do we only have four chairs?”

“That I don’t know… she just told me to come here and that everything is already taken care of” Areum nodded, as she already made up her mind for her dinner menu.

Leo and Hongbin read the menu in silence. But unlike Hongbin, Leo still had his attention on Kyunggi and Areum, as he kept stealing glances to the both of them. Hongbin was like a statue, a living and hungry one. 

“Her?” Leo muttered.

“Ah— yeah, Eunju, she took care of everything—“

“How is she involved?” Again, Leo threw another question.

“Um,” To her, Leo was colder than the usual, but she got that. “I— I, you know, I’m currently staying at her friend’s house, so… yeah…”

Her friend’s house? Within the 10 minutes that has passed, His head was already full with questions and assumptions. Who? I mean, like, how, and why and—

“I’m sorry, guys, I really do” She lowered her head, making everyone surprised. “I’m sorry that I made you worry and of course, it was pretty childish of me and I—“

“No, it wasn’t,” Hyuk cut her off, and his words got her into lifting her head up again. “I’m— no, we’re sorry that we weren't sensible enough towards you and Kyunggi. You know, I guess, its because we’re pretty dumb in term of… em… you…” 

Areum chuckled, letting her heavy weight flew away from her shoulder and smile brightly, “I forgot the one condition that you guys asks from me, giving you guys tips and knowledge about girls, hahaha”

Hyuk, who was blushing pulled his cheek into a smile, and so did Leo. Behind the Menu book, Hongbin was also smiling, And I thought she couldn't be prettier than she was. 

 


 

“Why are we here??” Hakyeon shook his head, “Ravi, I am not in the mood of—“

“My treats,” Ravi got out of the car, and went to the wooden door, proudly opened it for his two friends. “And you both can order anything, Bulgogi, samgyeopsal, dwaeji bulgo—“

Ken brushed into Hakyeon and Ravi, who stood right in front of him, as he made his way to enter the place, “Table for three, right?”

 

 

 

 

 

They sat on a table for four, but the other chair was used to put on Ken’s coat. The grill was big enough for the three of them, but probably not for the amount of meats that jumped in Ken’s head. “Meat! meat! meat—“

“Again, why are we here?” Hakyeon pricked the eyes of his dongsaeng with his own eyes. “What are we doing here?”

“Helping our friends, of course” He just smiled back at him and started to grill the first piece of meat. “We need to stop pretending that there’s no drama cause really, our life is indeed a one big play and we’re just the supporting roles” Ken and Hakyeon drop their eyes for Ravi, “So Why don't we compete on getting the trophy for the best supporting actor?”

 

 


 

 

"Kyunggi misses you guys the most though," Areum slowly feed her brother. "He kept saying hyung! hyung! and there was this one time where I have to imitate each of your voice so that—“ While she told the story in a full excitement and energy, the other three were rather flat, in their own way. They just stared at her, only at her, with a very delicate eyes that made her confuse ; “You guys okay?”

We’re totally not okay,  Hongbin shook his mind, your cuteness should be a crime. 

When Hyuk ate the last chicken of his soup, he got choked on it. “Em?”

“Yeah, I’m okay” Leo nodded nonchalantly. 

“So… yeah, we both miss you all,” Once again, she unconsciously struck their hearts with a smile. “But by all, I mean.. where are Ravi, Ken and Hakyeon?”

“I’ve tried to call Hyung but he’s not picking up,” Out of the blue, one has finally let a voice came out of his mouth.

“Ah,” Areum mouthed, “Well, it’s not like this will be the last time you guys would see me so,” and shrugged. “And, I haven't heard a thing about you guys! How’s life??”

In their heads, they shared the same thought: It’s okay, but we just miss and ‘cough’ love you so much. 

Hyuk chuckled, “its only been what, two weeks?”. “it was a fourteen days of living up to my routines, but its just quieter than usual”

“It does, I don’t know—“ With enthusiasm, Areum dare to express her feelings. "You know, It felt like months! I just— yeah, I just miss you all”

“Me too,” 

“Me too,”

“Me too,”

 


 

 

“Lets just accept the fact that your brothers, and also your cousin, Ken, are in love with the same person” Ravi casually started the conversation and broke the awkwardness, “which side are you guys in?”

Ken has lost his appetite, “Huh?”

He ended up cook the meat by himself, thus he had the pleasure of giving the portion for his friends as he likes. “It was a good thing though, that they didn't rashly make a move when she still live with us, cause, can you imagine how awkward and uncomfortable she could be?”

“Yeah,” Hakyeon started to eat, and reacted to something. “I realized that too”.

“it could be as awkward as how Hongbin kissed her. You know what... Its like watching a bunch of high school kids involve in a cliche drama and we’re just a part of it, isn't that funny?” Out of nowhere, Ravi started to laugh in vain. “I— I just want this to be done”

Hakyeon poured a glass of soju and gave it to the guy who took off his cap all of a sudden, “Are you sick of it? sick of them? sick of her?”

Ravi gulped down the glass, and even drank it from the bottle by himself. Reclined his back, and kept drinking, making Ken and Hakyeon rather worried. “I just don’t like to see them hurting themselves” 

 

 

 

 

 


“Rather than hurting,” Ken continued to cook, “In hyuk's case, it made him grow, she made him grow”. Ravi opened up his mind again for his friend. “And I’m thanking her for that, she made him believe in love again” Then it was Ken’s turn to drink, as his eyes has drop a tear. "Damn, I like to believe that this tears came from alcohol and not my love to my brother"

“It was the first time that Leo actually talks to me with all his heart,” He didn't drop a tear, but his gazes changed as he lowered his eyes, “I watched him happy, I watched him hurt, and he came to me to ask about what should he do” within time, he also reached for the alcohol since he needed one. “I don't know how should I feel about that, but I feel happy for him”

“Should I also say something?” Ravi has come to the point where he need to purify his mind with a water, “I,” But for his reason, he chose to not. “I just want Hongbin and Areum get together so that Eunju would stop wasting her life with a person who would never treat her right!” He laughed, after he put the bottle down on the table with a noise that made people stared at him, “Am I evil? An opportunist? In a way, I am, but they belong to each other and that I just know!”

 


 

“Em, okay,” While the guys tried to cold down their red face, Areum raised her hand and asked for the bill, “You guys are all done, right? It's already late and Kyunggi have to sleep so I need to go back early”. The waiter came, with the bill, and Areum carefully read through it.

“Oh, can I use this card?”

“Oh, can I use this card?”

“Oh, can I use this card?”

Areum dropped her own card, once she saw three different cards in the air, raised by three different hands. Meanwhile the waiter could only nodded in confusion. “Hehehe, thank you,” Areum just smiled while giving the bill and her card to the waiter. “I owe them a lot,” She grinned, “Like a lot”

 

 


 


“So Areum met up with the boys, huh?” Yoora sat on the couch and shared her bucket of ice cream with the girl who sat next to her, “Interesting, what was your role?”

“Me? Nothing,” Eunju grabbed a whole spoon, and wrapped herself with the blanket, “Just made the reservation and switched my card with her, am I nice or what?”

“You know what, I could never see you as my Daughter or my friend’s daughter,” She louden the volume of the TV and shared the same blanket with Eunju, “You’re good and sometimes you’re too good and you need to stop”

“Unnie saranghae” Eunju turned her head to the left, and make a big heart on the top other head. “But I love Hongbin more so what should I do?”

 

 


 

“Noona how are you going to get back?” The night was cold, so he adjusted the girl’s, the baby boy's coat and scarf with his own hands, as he stood himself in front of them. Leo was having a call with someone, so he could only glare at him. As for Hongbin, he had no chance, but to stay back while mentally wanting to kick Hyuk’s hole.

“taxi, of course,” She smiled, and fixed his brother’s place on her arms, “Look at this boy, he’s getting taller you know!”

“Yeah, I know,” Hyuk lowered his head to match with Kyunggi’s, “I’ll visit you next time”

“Ah, and Hyuk, I don’t know, can you keep it a secret?” Areum took  a step forward and hooked on Hyuk’s ear, “About me living with your mom…”

“Sure, no problem,” Gladly.  “I Mean, I understand so—“ A black sedan stopped right in front of them, and it made Hyuk to pause himself. “Oh great, what do he wants now…”

Areum looked at the dark glass and could only take a glimpse of the driver “Your dad?”.

“No, it’s my driver, but this means that he wants to talk with me, cause then i am not allowed not use the bus” He clucked. Hyuk knocked on the glass twice, and got a reply from the driver with five knocks. “Five knocks?? Am I in trouble or what??”

“Hahaha, just go now Hyukkie” Areum slowly pushed him to the back of the car, “Don’t make Mr.Park Wait,”

Before he opened the door, he stopped and turned around. “Noona, should I take you home?”.

“I said, don’t make Mr. Park Wait,” But since it was Areum, the one who opened the door for him was also her. In additional, she also shoved him in, “Mr.Driver make sure to bring this kid home safely!”

“Ya, noona!” Hyuk hopelessly let Areum put on the seatbelt for him, until, “I am not a kid” He stopped her hand from doing so, and held it tightly. “Ah, I’m sorry—“

“No, its okay,” Areum nodded and pulled up a smile, “you’re never a kid to me, I even often thought that you’re older than me, oppa” winked, then pulled away from the car, so that she could close it with her hands. “Bye! see you later!”

 


 

 

“you—“

“Yeah I do, I ing love Kang Eunju. That spoiled brat who mostly thought about herself, I am bound to her!” The meat were all gone, and  there were only three bottles of soujo that made them sit there. “Oh , we’re all drunk, right?”

“We— we are…” Ken shook his head and started to cry, “Just— Just promise me that we’ll forget everything! Okay! I don’t think Hyuk would still think of me as his brother if he know that I talked about him with you guys! huaaa”

Hakyeon placed his hands on ken’s mouth and muffled it, “Ken-ssi, shut up”.

“Ya, Hyung what if Hongbin does end up with Areum?” Ravi took another sip, and threw his hand to Hakyeon for a pat, “Do you know that he’s the luckiest and unluckiest bastard at the same time?” 

“My brother is a bastard?” The oldest shook his head, “Heol— no! no! I mean, jinjja?!” 

“Hmm, yeah, Like, you know, cause actually, he and Areum—“ Ravi closed his mouth, “Never mind, The love of my life forbid me to tell a soul— look! Even when I’m drunk I’m still faithful! ahahahaha!”

“that they’re what??” While still sobbing, Ken insisted on knowing, “Tell me! ya! I don't believe that he’s luckier than Park Sanghyuk!!!”

 


 

 


After the car left, he got up from the bench and walked up to her, “Areum,”.

She didn't turn around, “Yes?” but she responded. “How was that? I like the food though,”

“I’m going to leave the house,” With that, he made her to look at him, “So,” and only him. “If you want, you can fully use my room and—“

“Do you want me to go back, Hongbin?” Kyunggi was already asleep in her warmth, and so she could focus on Hongbin’s eyes as she glared it with all her might. “While you leave, do you want me to use your room and live with five other guys?”

He couldn't say a word after that, his mouth was shut by her exclamation that left him speechless.

“What happened to you? You cha— you know what, never mind,” Areum sighed, closed her eyes and shook her head. “I don’t even know what to say to you, I’m sorry, I’m just going to—“

“I kissed you not because I want to, but it was because I need to,” With his voice, he didn't need a hand to make her turn away again. “I need to show you that I love you, I need you to see me as more than just a guy that you met one night at your workplace and not just an old friend”

“Ho— Hongbin,” The eyes that were always closed has given up, as it broke down in drops. She became warmer than an amber, as she was in a state where she just want to cry and wrapped herself in a blanket. The only thing that kept her from standing was the fact that her brother’s was sleeping on her arm.  “You— you were not” Areum dropped her head onto his shoulder, leaned on it as she tightened her grip on his brother with one hand, and used the other hand to punch the guy's chest with all her feelings. “I hate you”. 

 


 

“I don’t know, bro…”

“The hyung, what did you just call me?!” Ravi squished his face. “Ya! ya! Get more drinks!”.

Hakyeon let himself listened to him, and drank more of what he shouldn’t, “Hey who’s going to drive—“

Ravi swung his hand on Hakyeon’s glass and ‘helped’ him to finish it. “Who give a about that, bro— , hyung, what did you not know about?!” 

He coughed, “Ah! Ravi! Careful!” and then drink more of it, “And watch your mouth too!”

“Hyung-ah, you still haven't answered my question! what did you not know about?!”

“Many things, Hakyeon hyung is stupid when he's drunk” The crying Ken made a time to laugh for himself, “So stupid that he believe on Jung Taekwoon going to end up with Lee Areum ahahahahaha!”

“Hahahahah, I know right, this hyung is so funny!” FInally, Ravi and Ken could be on the same page, “The only thing that Leo Hyung could do is baby sitting— oh i know, he is babysitting-zoned!” since it came to cornering Hakyeon. “Like, friend zone, but this time you’re a babysitter who didn't get paid, hahahahaha”

“Ahahahahaaahahhahahaha! Leo should just sit! hahahaha” The Joke was not funny, but Ravi’s laugh was certainly precious. That was, at least according to Ken, and basically everyone.

“Ya! Jung Taekwoon is indeed potential to be a nanny, but thats just one of his skill!” Hakyeon almost got up and hit the table, “You’ll fall for him too eventually!!”

 


 

 

“I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I—“

“Stop,” The hand that she used to hit Hongbin’s chest was stopped by another one, a hand with a slender finger and soft milky skin, “You’ll hurt him”. 

Areum lifted her head from Hongbin and followed the hand, “Leo?”

“Let’s go, your Taxi is here,” He showed her the white car that stopped in front of them again, that Areum didn't even bother to be aware with. “Here, let me hold on to Kyunggi,” Leo took over the baby on her hand, and then use his coat to wrap the both of them, Areum and Kyunggi, as he helped them to enter the taxi. 

 


In his own pain and coldness, Hongbin was meant to be the pole of the night. Being left alone and forgotten. She hates me.

 


“Hongbin,” Speaking louder than the usual, Leo wakened him from dozing off. Hongbin just looked back at him, while the vision of Leo entering the car was also blurred by his eyes will. “Wake up”


I don’t want to. She hates me.

 


 


Ken parted his lips with a question. “Fall for him…?”.

Ravi shook his head, “no… .. Hyung… don’t tell me that you…”

“Hongbin is my brother, true, But Leo,” Avoiding his dongsaeng’s gazes, Hakyeon looked up to the ceiling, and closed his eyes. “But Leo happiness is what makes me happy”

“Hyung—“

Closing the world, as his mind was only belong to one person only “Leo, Jung Taekwoon, Stop driving me crazy”.

 


 

 

“Leo,” Her voice softened once she closed her eyes and leaned on the shoulder next to her. Kyunggi was still asleep, on Leo’s lap. She has stopped crying, and only held onto the arm on her right. “I don’t like myself now. I shouldn't have to feel this comfortable like this, weighting your perfectly crafted shoulder with my stubborn head—“

“I don’t mind,” While Areum couldn't tell what kind of face that he made, he used that opportunity to earn a sincere smile. “Would it be wrong if I ask you whether you’re okay or not?” 

Areum nodded. “No, but it's pretty useless” 

The smell of her hair, the eyelids, the lashes, the lips, the everything about her was perfect for him. “But will you tell me whether you’re okay or not?”

“Will it bother you if I tell you whether I’m okay or not?”

“It will never be a bother,” He carefully caressed her head, “I promise”

With both of her hands, she wrapped his arms in a way that is more than the way she held onto her brother.“I just need to hate him more then I’ll be okay”.