a classic

The Sensible Ones

13 years ago.

 

He just finished his music lesson and walked his way home. But then there was someone caught his attention as he passed the park. A little girl, a little girl was sitting crying alone on the bench. Ravi felt like he has to go there, for some reason. So, him come to her, put his guitar down and bowed to levelled his eyes with the little girl in front of him, “Why are you crying?”.

 

 

“It's not your problem mister” She said.

 

He tilted his head to the side and tried to look in the eyes, “I am not a mister and it is my problem…”

 

She stared at him, “Why is it your problem, stranger?”.

 

She was right, “Hmm… you’re right, why is it my problem…” Ravi tried to figure that himself.

 

“So stupid—“

 

“Look! At least you stopped crying already!” Ravi clapped his hands, “Yeay!”

 

She frowned “No! No! I’m still crying, see???” and tried to fake a cry. 

 

“Hahahahahha, you’re funny. Hey, I’m Wonshik”

 

She shook her head, “I didn't ask for your name”.

 

“Oh, you’re right…” little Ravi scratched his head, “Sorry…”

“Ahahahahahahahaha you’re too innocent! How old are you? Six?” She burst into a laugh.

 

“No! I’m eight!!!” 

 

“Jinjja? Wow, so you’re a year older than me…” She pouted.

 

“Jinjja?? Wait, then you have to call me oppa!” He crossed his arm.

 

“Why should I call a stranger oppa?”

 

“Because we’re not a stranger anymore! Hey, I’m Kim wonshik, and what's your name?”

 

“Eh? Well, Eunju, Kang Eunju—“ 

 

“Kang Eunju?? woah, are you perhaps the person who lives in the big house next to my house???”

 

Eunju nodded, “So are you perhaps the person who lives in the small house next to mine?”

 

That was the part where he supposed to feel offended, but then, “Yes! I am! Woaaah, don't you feel tired with your own house? I mean your mom, doesn't she feel tired on cleaning the house?”.

 

“I have five maids so that's never been me or my mom’s problem”

 

“Five?!?!” 

 

“Yes, why are you so shocked? What? You want to see them? You want to see my house? My toys? My dolls?” Eunju started to become more aggressive.

 

“Ani… why would I want to see that…”

 

“Because that's what everyone told me. They want to see  my this, my that, play with my this, my that, asked me to buy this, buy that“

 

“But those things aren't yours, I mean, it's your parents’s since they are the one who earn money, not you, you have nothing.”

 

Eunju spread her hand and pinched Ravi’s cheek, “Are you  even human?”

 

“Ya! Stop it!!” He backed away, “Of course I am!”

 

“Then you’re the first human who said I’m poor”

 

“I didn't say that you’re poor, I said you have nothing…”

 

“Still,” Eunju offer her hands, “Oppa, lets be friend!”

 

 


 

 

four years ago.

 

“Oppa!! What do you think??” Eunju turned around, floated her dress around and showed more of the detail. “Pretty?”

 

“Ya… how much does it cost?” Ravi put away his guitar, and gazed at the girl who have been staring in the mirror for more than ten minutes.

 

“500,000 won” She said nonchalantly, “Why? Is it ugly? Do I look fat??” She started to become fidgety once Ravi did not say a word afterwards, “Oppa…”

 

“You’re as skinny as a stick, and why would you spend so much for a dress??” Ravi threw himself to the bed, “This is why I don't get girls!”

 

“But nevertheless you still write songs about them,” Eunju joined, “Oppa play me a song”.

 

Ravi turned his face to the side and caught on Eunju who begged like a puppy, “A song?”.

 

She nodded.

 

Ravi got up from the bed and grab his guitar, “Okay, but don't fall for me” He smirked.

 

“Ewkh….” Eunju threw a pillow at him, “Just sing it already!!”

 

Ravi sat on the chair and strummed his guitar, “Ekhm” He coughed, “saengilchuka hamnida…  saengilchuka hamnida… sarang haneun Kang Eunju…” and smiled, “saengilchuka hamnida..”

 

Eunju was just lying on her bed while listening to him in silence. “oppa,” After a while, she got to talk again. “What's my present for tomorrow? Have you bought it?”

 

Ravi carefully shook his head, “Nope…” And hissed in disappointment. “To be honest, I still don't know what should I give you, I mean, Is there anything that you still don't have?” As he looked at the girl's room, he couldn't find any of it. Dolls, toys, clothes, perfumes, makeup, all branded and pretty stuff are available there, Eunju’s room is every girl’s dream.

 

“I knew it, hahaha my six sense is never wrong, but like, can you Give me something that my parents can’t? Give me something that worths more than money” She beamed, “Tomorrow, on my birthday party, perform a song! You can sing or.. No, I know! Rap! You should rap! Even just a song! !!”

 

His eyes stayed at her, “A song?”.

 

“Yup, a song for me, of course” She proudly smiled. “I know that you wrote tons of songs, and don't tell me that you never once make one for me—“

 

 

 

 

“Dinner’s ready!” Someone called from downstairs, “Eunju, tell Wonshik-ssi to stay for dinner”.

 

“Oppa you heard her, lets go” Eunju grabbed his wrist and take him downstairs.

 

‘a song for you? i got plenty of it’

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

The kind of party that he usually attend is the one with loud trappy music, girls in crop top, guys in jeans and headset with some snacks and booze, not the one with suits, tea cups, and a fountain in the middle of a ballroom. If it was not because of her birthday, Ravi will definitely skipped that kind of event who required a white tuxedo that made him look to clean for his reputation. 

 

“Where is she?” He kept looking around for the birthday girl in between strangers which he couldn't recognize. “Eunju—“

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad!!! This is my birthday!! Not yours!!!”. Not far from him, he found Eunju confronting her father just right behind the stage, “I’m turning 16, dad! Not freaking 25!! And why do I not recognize half of the guests?!” 

 

“Eunju, dear, I was just doing my best—“

 

“Your best without even asking my opinion?! Why are you always like this!!” She got rid of her dad’s hand from her shoulder, “I know that I should trust my sense instead of you! A birthday party is all I want, dad. Just before I move—“ Eunju kept open after she realized that there's another person in the room. “Oppa, you came!” She walked up to Ravi and leave her dad alone.

 

“Yeah— of course I came” He felt awkward that Mr.Kang was also there and keep staring at both of them, “Sorry, I don't meant—“

 

“No, you’re on the right time and place, now go on the stage!” She pushed Ravi onto the stairs, “Go show them just what a party is”.

 

“And for today, we have a special performance from Ravi!!”

 

Ravi stopped at the edge of the stage, “Wait, wait, it's not yet my turn!”.

 

“No! It's your turn!” And eunju keeping on pushing him.

 

“What do you mean? Its Ravi’s turn—“

 

 And so Eunju has no other choice but to bring him on the stage herself. After everyone could see their presence on the stage, Eunju is the first one to hold on the mic. “Hello everyone, birthday girl is speaking!” She greeted her guests, “Incase for some odd reason you still don't know who I am, then I’m going to introduce myself, I’m Kang Eunju! But right now it's not about me, but it's about this guy who stands next to me!” She pointed at Ravi, “He’s the most awesome and talented person I have ever met, and I just can't help but to let you guys know about him.. Okay, that was a bit too long for an introduction, well, anyway, let's give a huge applause for Ravi!!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, what’s with Ravi??” He asked for an explanation after he’s done with the performance, “Eunju..”

 

“Oh, Right, sorry, I just came up with your stage name not long ago” She explained, “You like it?”

 

He raised an eyebrow, “Stage name?”.

 

“Yeah, I think that you’re a ravi when you raps, sings or making music—“

 

“A Ravi??” He’s now more than confused.

 

“Ravi means, enchanting, delighted, you know, a feeling that I always get whenever you being yourself with your music,” She gave him a thumb, “I think it's a bit selfish if I’m the only person who got to see that side of yours, that's why, I want you to be Ravi to people, and you nailed it”

 

He looked at her in amazement, “Really?”

 

“No, actually my senses just told me to say those kind of things, I was just blabbering some fact, cause ravi sounds good— and oh!! I have to introduce you to these friends of mine, you might like him or may not, but like—“ Eunju grabbed two people near her and brought them together, “Ken, Hyuk this is kim won—“

 

“Ravi, I’m Ravi” He introduced himself.

 

“Owh… okay, well Ravi, this is Ken and Hyuk, and I’m going to leave you guys alone cause I have to talk to my dad again, see you later!” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Owh… okay, well Ravi, this is Ken and Hyuk, and I’m going to leave you guys alone cause I have to talk to my dad again, see you later!” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So you’re the only guy who can make her talk like that?” Ken made himself to be the first person to break the awkwardness as now the three of them are forced to become friends. “I’m impressed, that girl is a bit… how to.., Hyuk, how do we describe Eunju?” He passed the question to His brother.

 

“Selfish? Bossy? Weird? Self centered? a bit violent? ” The youngest blurted out everything that came first in his mind.

 

“am— am I the only one?” Ravi repeated the word ‘only’ that keep replaying in his head, “Really?”.

 

 

“Yes”

 

 


 

 

 

 

“So you’re leaving?” He looked around and found the room was filled with boxes, “Where?”

 

“Busan. Going to stay at grandma’s” Enju finished packing her last clothes. “You should celebrate this, the day when Kang Eunju, the biggest brat on earth leaving your side—“

 

He fisted, “until when? You’re coming back right? Its only temporary?”.

 

Eunju picked up a box, starting to move it downstairs, “A year or two? Depends, but of course, I’ll be back. I need myeongdong and gangnam to live properly,” She stopped in front of the door since Ravi is blocking her way, “Don't tell me that you already missed me… please… I know I’m a charm but—“

 

 He opened his arm and pulled eunju for a hug, “Stupid, now I have to find a new chaebol to look after”

 

“There are Ken and hyuk, they need protection, wait, more like guidance, too” She wanted to hug him back, but she's now holding a box, “Come to think of it, I have to find a new oppa to be my bodyguard”.

 

Ravi released her from the hug, as he’s surprised by the sudden acclamation. 

 

“But like, I don't want 'wonshik oppa' oppa, I want a boyfriend oppa, get it?” She asked. “Cause wonshik oppa is wonshik oppa, cannot be replace. If I'm going to find a new oppa then it has to be boyfriend opp—“

 

“Good luck with that” Ravi took over the box and help her to bring it downstairs, “I’m not sure whether you can find one tho”

 

“I kinda agree, I mean, out of all schools, why do I have to attend an all girls high school!? That's like, murdering my youth—“

 

“Did you just say all girls school?” Ravi, who was already downstairs, checked on Eunju again, “so, no boys?”

 

“Nope—“

 

 

“Yes!!” He exclaimed.

 

 

 


Three years ago

 

To: wonshik oppa~

 

Hola, Hola!

 

From: Eunju

 

“Eh?!?!” It's been a while since the last time he received a message from her, 

 

To: eunju

 

Where have you been???????

 

From: wonshik.

 

 

 

 

To: wonshik oppa~

 

No where, I was just busy hehehe ^^ how's life?

 

From: eunju

 

 

 

 

To: eunju

 

It's okay, I guess. As usual, trapped with your chaebol friends kenhyuk

 

From: Wonshik oppa~

 

 

To: Wonshik oppa~

 

But aren't you guys close now?? You should thank me!

 

From: Eunju

 

 

 

 

 

To: Eunju

 

Well, they aren't bad. And how about your life?

 

From: Wonshik

 

 

 

 

 

To: Wonshik oppa~

 

Actually, I want to say thank you!!!!!

 

From: eunju

 

Ravi tried to believe what he sees, as he kept on zooming over the picture that eunju attached with her message. “No way…”

 

To: Eunju

 

Who is that?

 

From wonshik

 

 

 

 

To: Wonshik oppa~

 

Meet my boyfriend Beanie^^ 

 

Thank you for the good luck LOL. look, I can actually find a handsome and caring boyfriend :p thank you, thank you~~~

 

From: Eunju

 

 

Ravi threw his phone on the table. “What the F—“

 

“Eh? Is that Eunju?” Ken snatched the phone away and pay attention onto the picture, “Woah! It is Eunju! I can't believe it! Oh my goodness, this woman can actually have a boyfriend! Who’s the poor guy??” 

 

Hyuk, who was sitting next to him also take a look at it, “Whoah.. May god bless his soul…” He then looks at his other hung who doesn't seem interested at all, “Ravi Hyung—“

 

“I’m going to go for a walk, later”.

 

 

 

 


Two years ago

 

 

“Ravi! Have you done with unpacking my stuff??” Ken rested himself on the couch, “Be careful with the golden box, okay, its fragile”

 

“You do it yourself!!” Ravi came out of his room, “Look, I don't even remember why do I even agree with this, living with you guys....” And locked his new furnished room. 

 

“It's because you need to stop burdening your mom and now including Leo, you have three generous chaebol friends who let you live with them” He grinned.

 

“And now I kinda regret—“

TING TONG

 

 

Ravi looked at the front door, “Are we expecting someone?”

 

Ken got up, and went to the kitchen “Oh, right, I haven't told you, a friend of Leo is also going to live with us, must be him”

 

Ravi squeezed his face, “Ya! But there will be so many people in the house!!”.

 

“But you will pay cheaper, right? Isn't that how money works?” Ken made a very good point, “Can you like open the door, please”

 

Ravi walked himself to the front door, ”Ken, what's his name?” and preparing himself to greet the person outside.

 

 

 

“Hakyeon, Dong Hakyeon, and he’s older than you!”.

 

 

 

 

 

After taking a deep breath, he finally got to open the door, “Wassup! I’m Ravi, you must be Hak—“ but then his words were cut off by what he saw. A person who’s about his age surrounded with more than five luggages or so, and also a total stranger, but for some reason, he felt like he’d met him before, “Yeon…”

 

“Oh, anyeonghasaeyo, actually I’m Hongbin, Dong Hongbin, Hakyeon’s brother, nice to meet you” He bowed.

 

“Nice to meet you,” Ravi tried to look more carefully to recognize the person. But then he still couldn't get a hint, so instead “Okay, let me help you with your stuff” He helped him to bring most of his stuff.

 

“Sorry, most of it is my brother’s, not mine” Hongbin took three luggages with him and brought it inside.

 

Ravi stayed outside to pick which luggages that will save more of his energy. “Okay, which one of these is lighter—“

 

 

“Oppa? what are you doing here?”. Ravi looked at the person who’s talking, 

 

“Eunju?” He could only say her name as he felt more than surprised by what he saw. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I can't believe it!! It's really you!! Oppa!!” She ran to him, “Hahhahahaah! It's been awhile!”

 

Actually, it's been more than three years since the last time they saw each other, but for some reason Ravi is more bother with the fact that she met her here. “Still, why are you here?”

 

“Wait, you haven't met him?” Eunju raised an eyebrow. 

 

“Met who?”

 

 

“Him,” She pointed at someone behind Ravi’s back, “My boyfriend” and of course, it was Hongbin.

 

 


a year ago.

“Ravi, can I borrow your—“

 

“Sure” Ravi didn't  even bother to know what Hongbin’s want. “Where are you going?”

 

“the cinema—“

 

Ravi threw the car key to Hongbin, “With your girlfriend again?”.

 

“No, alone… and I didn't ask for the car key, I was asking for borrowing your jacket…“

 

Ravi turned his face to him,“Why would you watch a movie alone when you have a—“

 

“We broke up, and Ravi, am I allowed or not to borrow your jacket?!” Hongbin raised his tone, “Huft, never mind, I’ll just borrow Hyuk’s or something—“

 

Ravi put on his jacket on Hongbin before he left the room, “You and Eunju broke up?”

 

“Yes, And I don't really want to talk about it, so see you, and thank you for the jacket” Hongbin patted a goodbye at Ravi and left the house.

 

 

 

 

He still tried to proceed everything, he still try to rationalize everything. “Did he just say broke up?”. Broke up, the words that he has been waiting for two years or so, and it just said by the ex boyfriend like that, without any hesitation. 

 

BZZZT

 

A text come in,

 

To: Ravi

 

Meet me at this address, now.

 

From: Eunju

 

 

 

 

After half an hour of driving, Ravi found himself in front of a building that have the exact same address as the one that Eunju sent to him. “It's the place right, but where is she?”

 

“I’m here!” Eunju came out of the three floor building, “Let's go, come in!” She said, waving her hand.

 

Ravi followed her on coming into the strange building without really care about where he’s actually heading to. He followed her to the second floor, without saying any words as they now alone in the building.

 

“Here” Before Eunju got to open a door, she gave Ravi a key, “You don't have to thank me now” Eunju changed her mind, instead of giving him the key, she uses the key to open the door. 

 

 

 

“Wha— what??” Ravi rubbed his eyes, as everything in front of him were too surreal. 

 

 

 

 

“Ravi’s own music studio! yaaay!” Eunju pulled his friend into stepping into the room, “Look isn't this place is pretty? I mean, ah, you have to see this part!!” She opened the main room, the recording room, “Ah! So breathtaking, isn't it?”

 

It was indeed breathtaking, making Ravi lost his words beside, “Why?”

 

“What do you mean by why? Seriously?” Eunju put her hands on his shoulder,”Ravi you Pabo, why not?? I mean, I’ve missed what, three birthdays? And like, yeah, why not! Get it?”

 

“I get it, well, kinda” he looked at her in despair, “Actually, I don't, since it's you, I don't get anything beside you’re crazy”

 

“No, I’m not crazy, actually I’m just running out of idea, cause like, dad told me that there's this empty building that he want me to use to make money, or so, I don't really know or I don't really care, and Like I’m thinking of making a bakery shop on the first floor and there's still two floors empty, so why not?” She shrugs, “You like it?”

 

Ravi shook his head, “No, this is unfair, I can't get this for free”

 

“Excuse me, Who said that you’re going to have all of these for free??” Eunju crossed her arm, “I give you a year to pay this”

 

“WHAT?! HOW—“

 

“By continuing to make awesome music while I’m away, and give me something good when I’m back” She grinned, “Deal?”

 

“A year??? Away???”

 

“Yes, Ravi, I’ll be away for a year, cause like you, I have a dream too, I’m going to take a make up course abroad, and contemplating my life, I guess? Well, yeah stuff like that, actually I just need a hiatus—“

 

“Is that why you broke up with him?” He changed the atmosphere, “Is that why you broke up with Hongbin?”

 

“Is that what he told you?! Oh my god! I can't believe him!” She threw herself onto the couch, “Well, actually I just told him that 'lets take a break!' its different from a break up! Can't he see the difference?! Ah! That guy!”

 

“Eunju—“

 

 

 

 

“Ravi, actually I just had the worst vision ever”

 

Ravi sat on the couch with her, “Wait, you still believe that you have a six sense?”.

 

“Of course I do! Stupid!” She nudged, “Wait instead of a vision, I think it's more like a nightmare came true”

 

“What nightmare?”

 

“ He’ll love someone else as much as I love him” Eunju laying on the couch and hides her face with a pillow, “That's scary cause I love him more than I love myself, and you know how narcissistic I am”

 

“Hey…” He tried to console.

 

“But that's okay, I’ll just come back stronger next year” She still hid behind the pillow, hold on to it tighter to muffle her sobbing, “I’ll just show him how much do I love Dong ing hongbin”

 

 

 

 

 


 

Areum gave Ravi another can of beer, “wow, you must hate hongbin so much…”

 

“Ehm, not really, I mean he’s cool and I don't have the right to actually hate him, cause when I met him He’s already Eunju’s boyfriend and Eunju is already taken. Can't do anything” Ravi opened the can and gulp through it, “Ah, look at her and how much she’s trying to get his attention” while still keeping his eyes on Eunju who haven't stopped clinging on Hongbing since she arrived.

 

“Does anyone know about this? Ken? hyuk?”

 

“Nope, only you”

 

“woah, then it must be tough on you, not having people to hear your wounds and—“

 

“I don't really call it as a wound tho,” Ravi hissed on the can that’s almost empty, “I choose to be like this, I choose to love her and getting hurt”

 

Areum look at him again and chuckle, “you must be drunk, you sound too wise!”.

 

“Probably, I don’t care. But I do care about secrecy, so can you like keep it a secret?” He offered his pinky, “Please?”

 

She raised her pink and made a pinky swear with him, “of course. and is there anything that I can help?”

 

“No” Ravi started to get dizzy, “Well, actually there is”

 

“What is it??”

 

 

“Date Hongbin”

 

 

 

 

“Eh!?!?!” Areum almost jumped from her place, “Ravi are you drunk??”

 

“No, I’m being rational. If you date hongbin then Eunju will stop probably flirting or throwing herself at him and maybe… just maybe… I have  a chance on her” He start to hit his head on the fridge behind.

 

“Yeah, Ravi, you’re drunk” Areum get him a glass of water, “And is there anything else that I can help with beside that?”

 

“No, don't think so—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What are you guys doing here?” Hyuk looked down on the two people who sat on the kitchen floor, “The party is over there….”

 

Areum made ravi to drink the water, “As you can see, he’s drunk—“

 

“I’m not!” Ravi got up, “Ey, maknae, is she still here?”

 

“Who? Eunju noona?” Hyuk hold on to ravi who can barely stand.

 

“Yeah, that gizib—“

 

 

 

“Who are you calling gizibe??” Eunju entered herself, “Hey! I thought we agreed that this party is alcohol free—“ She stopped herself from complaining as she found her phone ringing, “Wait, this is an important call” she excused herself.

 

 

 

 

Hyuk walked ravi back into the living room. “Hmm, I need some sleep” Ravi lay himself on the couch.

 

Hakyeon lower the stereo volume and checked on his friend “Woah, you okay?”.

 

 

Ravi only nodded at him.

 

 

“Hey, yeoreobun! I have something to say!”  Eunju fully turn off all audio around. “It's kinda important”

 

Everyone gathered their attention on Eunju, “Okay?”

 

Eunju look around, checking on everyone’s face and stops at Areum who stand in the corner. “Areum you have to be Ken’s fiancé?”

 

“WHAT?!?!?!?!?!”

 

 

Everyone, including Ravi just left their mouths hanging. “Look, that's the best choice we have—“

 

“What choice?!” Hongbin cut off, “What are you talking about?!”

 

Eunju rolled her eyes, “Look Its either that or, Me and Ken have to live as  husband and wife for the rest of our lives. Ken, do you want that??”

 

Ken shook his head in an unbelievable speed.

 

“Well, me too” Eunju sat herself on a chair. “Look, My Park Friends, don't blame your parents, its fully my dad and probably mom just being greedy and want their only daughter to marry someone who’s richer than her family, a.k.a your family” 

 

“Wait— wait a minute, so, you and Hyung…?” Hyuk tried to recap.

 

“Yes, the classic story of rich people, an arranged married, But, but, but! There’s a 'but' coming,” She proudly stood herself back, “Since its proposed by my family and it haven't been discussed with your family, we can still stop this, by showing the generous, kind and thoughtful mister park the true love of Jaehwan and Areum” She danced around the house as she told her ‘brilliant’ plan to everyone, “If your dad believes it than I bet he will tell my parents to get lost, cause, 'look at my son have found her true love!' but then after a month or so just tell your dad that the wedding is off or whatever—”

 

“Is there any other way beside that?” Leo got himself to talk.

 

“There is,” She grabbed the closest hand from her, which happen to be, “Hongbin, if you willing to get back together with me then its also a way out”.

 

Everyone found it as a much more rational and better answer, except for, of course, Ravi. “Then why don't we go with that?” Hyuk asked.

 

“We can't because my dad hated you already, beanie” She let go of her hand and pushed him aside, “He immediately hates you soon after we break up or whatever you call it, and he will only accept you if you come in my house and say, ‘hey Mr. Kang I’m going to marry your daughter’ or some like that” She looked back at people, “So, what plan should we  go with?”.

 

“I think— I think me and Ken can pretend to be one…”  Areum raise her hand, and made everyone looking at her in surprised. “Can we, Ken?”

 

Ken slowly nodded back at Areum.

 

Eunju dragged areum to stand next to Ken, “But we have a problem” And start to scanned at the two of them. “You guys look nothing like a couple, we have to build some chemistry here, you guys need to be in love”