continuation

The Sensible Ones

“guys…”

Ken called again

“Its— its okay, I mean—“

 

“What will your dad to her? Not to us, but to her” Hakyeon crossed his arm as he tried to rest his back on the sofa. For the thought the he had in mine, He glared at not just Ken, but Hyuk too,

 

“I think… he will do nothing harmful” Ken cleared his throat,

“He might be insane, but— but he’s kind, generous and thoughtful. So if we—“

 

Ravi raised a hand,

“So now it's ‘We’?”

“Okay, then what should ‘we’ do?” He quoted with his hands.

 

SUddenly, Hongbin got up and look around

“You said that, you did not  force her to come, so my question is, what if she’s not coming? What will he do?”

“She will not be forced into something absurd like, for example, an arranged married, R i g h t” His eyes ended at the one who sits on the corner, Hyuk.

 

To reassure. Ken came at Hongbin and pat his shoulder

“No, no, I guarantee that there’s no such thing”

“But since he’s very, very curious, there's a possibility that he will put a CCTV on the house without us realizing it, so that he can know--”

 

Hakyeon jumped from his seat.

“Well, that's unacceptable!!!”

 

“But that’s still better than a marriage or getting kicked out of the house, or stopping Soonbok-ssi’s house renovatio—“

 

“You know what’s better?”

Areum clapped her hands.

“Explain him the actual situation! with— with no misunderstanding left behind!”

“And then—“ 

“And then maybe, at least, he will...  Still continue Soonbok-ssi's house renovation and only kicking me out of the house—“

 

For listening to that kind of nonsense, “That house is not even his,” Leo could only mumble his thought. “If there's a case of someone leaving then it has to be his sons”

 

“No one is leaving the house!” Hakyeon exclaimed, stopping the two park from making a move towards  their cousin. By fixing his collar first and searched for some air, he wanted to cool down before anyone got to continue speaking.

“I think its true, we should go and at least meet him. The park will do the talking but we must be there, so we can back them up and stuff” He added, leaving everyone in clear instruction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

after no one decided to talk nor move from their seats, “Okay then, lets clean up!” Hakyeon pointed at the clock, and it shows that it's almost five already.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wear this, ” Leo leaned on the door, watching at the girl who’ve been struggling to match a shirt and jeans to a formal party for thirty minutes.

 

Areum turned around, leaving the mirror behind and come at him.

“wear what?”

 

 

“It's my sisters’s, you guys have the same height and proportions” He gave her a fold of clothes,

“You’re not really comfortable with skirts, aren't you” He noticed piles of clothes that she brought, sprawl around the bed, and it's all the same, all shirt and pants.

 

She nodded, and walks toward the bathroom inside the room.

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

Areum hid her body behind the bathroom door, showing her head only to Leo.

“How— how do I look?”

 

“Do you want me to comment your face or?” He sighed,

“Come out, I won't bite”

 

slowly, she got out of the bathroom, and look at herself in the mirror. Areum saw a girl standing in front of her, wearing a white knee length silk jumpsuit. It showed her collar bone, shoulder and back, revealing more part of her skin than she usually do.

“I look—“

 

“Pretty,” Leo walked in, and standing next to her.

“I told you, you look good on white” He checked on the girl in the mirror for a moment, before opening the wardrobe next to it.

“ but Its too plain, maybe it will work with this” He took out a black silk scarf from the drawer, and put it on her shoulder.

“Better?”

 

Areum smiled at her reflection, as no one can hide the truth.

“Yes, much better”

“How—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Why do I keep finding you guys in a weird situation?” Hakyeon put his hands on his waist, as he stood in front of the door. He was passing by, but then the two people who stand next to each other in front of a mirror just caught his eyes.

 

“Hakyeon!” She ran towards him,

“Do I look rich enough?” then Turned around, to show him her new look.

 

His head was full of questions before, but now a question left in him.

“Who are you?” He blinked.

 

“Hyung, where's the—“

Ravi stopped walking as he passed by Areum’s room.

“Who’s this agassi?”

 

“For once you look older than Hyuk…” Hakyeon continued.

“But Areum, you look pre—“

 

“What’s your shoe size?”

Everyone turned their eyes on Leo who still digging for something on the wardrobe.

 

Areum looked down at her feet,

“39? Why?” 

 

“You’re lucky, she wears 39.5. Slightly bigger, but still wearable” 

Leo showed her a pair of black heels. “You’ll have a hard time on walking, but thats the only way. You only brought sandal and running shoes, right?” he kneeled, and put it on her.

 

 

For her, to wear a 7cm heels was more troublesome than having a double shift. 

“Oh, wait,” Areum tried to keep her legs straight,

“Look! look! I can stand on it!” She exclaimed,  being proud of her self.

“Guys! look—“

But that pride was only there for a second. right after she moved her feet, she lost her balance.

 

“Hey!” luckily, Ravi and Hakyeon who happened to stand behind her, got to stop her from falling.

“Don't make an unnecessary move!”

 

“So—sorry…” 

Areum sat down on the floor, feeling helpless.

 

“It's almost six, we don't have a time to buy a new one” Hakyeon looked at his watch,

“Leo, do you still have any other shoes??”

 

“Wait, let me search for it,” Leo searched for a luck one more time,

“You guys just go first, the car keys are on the table on the table” He shoo his friends away.

 

“Nope!! I’m okay with this!”

Areum insisted on keeping her leg strong for the next two hours.

 

 


 

 

Ravi and Hakyeon open the garage, and found another surprise. A black Mercedes sedan and white BMW SUV were waiting in front of them. 

 

“And all we got is Bobby…” Ravi scoffed at the ride things in front of him..

“Hyung, which one should we—“

 

 

 

“Excuse me, but we’re taking the Mercedes!” coming through the door, Ken ran and snatched the key from Ravi’s hand. Not long after him, Hyuk is came along.

“We’re late already, sorry” He unlock the car, and got in. 

 

Hyuk pressds the button that makes the garage doors open for itself, and then quickly sit next to his brother. “Hyung, I’ll text you the address,” He put on his seatbelt, while keeping on typing on his phone.

 

VROOOOM

 

with style, “See you there !!!” Ken hit on the pedal, leaving the two guys behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

comparing their self, Hakyeon and Ravi just awkwardly stared at each other.

 

“You look good” Ravi looked at Hakyeon and his black shirt plus white pants kind of look.

 

“You too” Hakyeon replied, noticing that Ravi’s look less swaggy and more classy with his chino pants.

 

Probably because they ran out of topic. 

 

 

 

 

 

Another guy appeared, and it was hongbin, He's all ready, except for his feet.

“Hyung, can I borrow your shoes?” He showed them his shoeless feet.

 

the brother sighed,

“Its in my room,” at how unprepared hongbin was.

“Get it fast, okay? It's already 6.30”

 

Hongbin gave him a thumb before he rushed back inside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh, Hyuk just sent me the address,” Ravi showed his phone to Hakyeon.

“It's not far, but like… this is my first time going to Jeju, so...”

 

Hakyeon carefully looked at the address that his dongsaeng sent.

“Its near the mall, the new mall, I went there on the last school trip, but I don't remember the way to get there…”

 

 

 

 

 

“That's what GPS is for” Leo walked into the garage, multitaskingly holding on Kyunggi and helping Areum to walk in her heels.

 

“Guys! look! I can walk on it!” Areum wave her hands on them.

 

Both Ravi and Hakyeon were unsure, whether they should be happy about it or not for seeing such a dedicated woman walking towards them.

“Are you okay? You look painful” Hakyeon opened the backseat door for her.

 

“Of course i'm okay, as a woman, there are times where you just have to wear it, and it happened to be today” She tried to be graceful and slowly jumps into the car.

“Huft! What a walk!!” 

 

Hakyeon got on the driving seat, and put on his seatbelt. 

“Taekwoon” 

But right before he started the engine, he notices something off among them,

“Why are you still with your shirt?” 

 

And thus Ravi just realised that Leo was still on his airport fashion from today.

“So rich people can dress, whatever they want, but commoner like us must dress like a rich person who doesn't dress like what they want?”

 

"I don't get you” he shook his head

“And I’m not going there” stoically,

“I’m not feeling well, and I need to look out for Kyunggi. That kind of event is not his style” and nonchalantly.

 

 

with the thought of the unnecessary  to explain the Hyung what he meant before, Ravi just nodded at the older,  and went to the other side of the car, to sat next to Hakyeon on the passenger seat.

After he put on the seatbelt, he moved his finger to the dashboard and tried to use the technology of GPS. “Ah, this technology is too expensive” 

 

Leo walked up to them, and helping them from outside the car,

“Is not that hard, you just have to press this one and—“ He stopped for a moment.

“Wait, I never ride this car. Sorry, ” he turned around and walked away.

 

“Ya!! Hyung!!!”

But before it reached his ear, Leo has already left them be.

“Ah, what should we do now?” Ravi asked for another way to get there in time.

 

“I thought your phone have a gps? Google have gps?” Areum joined them from the back seat.

“Why do we need a 60,000,000 won car if we have a thing called smartphone?”

 

“H a h a h a h a, what a refreshing idea” Ravi faceplamed,

“This is why I'm not meant to be rich on the age 20” cause she was absolutely right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

One thing about Mr. Park is that he hates people who can't get there on time.

 

Good luck,

 

-Leo

 

 

“DONG HONGBIN GET YOUR OFF HERE NOW!!!!”, 

That was how Hakyeon reacted on Leo’s text.

 

 

 

VROOM VROOM

 

He asked for an attention from his brother.

 

“Wait! wait! I’m coming!!” Finally Hongbin showed himself, as he ran to the car while still struggling to put on the shoes.

“Wait!!” He finally got in the car, and finished up his shoelace-ing activity.

 

by turning on the radio, he started the ride.

“Taekwoon, we’re leaving!!” 

 

Okay, good luck.

 

-leo

 

 


 

 

“Hyung, did your feet got smaller?” Hongbin and his struggle of wearing a shoes was real.

 

“I dont know— Ravi, have you set up the gps?” as For Hakyeon, getting there on time was more important than his brother whining about his shoe size.

 

“Yeah, it's about 15 min from here” Ravi put his phone on the dashboard 

 

“In 500 meter, turn left”

 

Hakyeon sighed in relief, as he could finally drive in ease.

 

 

 

 

 

“It's because you did not unlace it fully,” Areum help the guy who ssat next to her with his problem.

 

“Ah, no I can do it my self—“

It was not his attention to letting her tying his shoes, but he just froze right after he saw her facing his face, for the first time. 

 

 

“Done!” Areum picked his feet up, showing off her skill on knotting the lace.

“What?” She put his feet down, realizing that he didn't really care about it, as he could only stare at her, intensely.

“Oh, right….” She clucked, and took out her phone, aggressively typing on her phone before she show it to Him,

 

Don't even think of spilling your thoughts on ‘who are you’ to me.

 

Believe me, If I could, I would like to wear shirts and converse.

 

:p (you’re so predictable)

 

 

Hongbin took over the phone, and text something in reply.

 

But I thought that you look pretty.

 

(i’m not that predictable lol :p)

 

 

“Still pretty?” Areum raised her eyebrows, while keeping her nose up and widened her eyes.

 

 

not wanting to lost, Hongbin stuck his tongue out before looking away to the window. 

“Still”

 

 


 

 

 

 

Ken and his family happened were to be near them as soon as they arrived and entered the venue.

“Dad, Like what I mentioned before, these are my friends!”

 Ken quickly dragged them to the Park Circle, where there was Hyuk, him, and an older guy who looked like Ken with a white hair.

“Friends, this is my dad, Park Sanghwan!” the way He introduced them, was as if they’re all a school mate.

 

“Anyeonghasseyo, Dong Hakyeon imnida” Hakyeon is the first one to bows,

 

“Anyeonghasseyo, Dong Hongbin imnida” Followed by Hongbin,

 

“Anyeonghasseyo, Kim Wonshik imnida” And even Ravi introduced himself as Wonshik.

 

“Good evening,” Mr.Park nodded at them, before led his eyes on the girl who’s been shaky from the moment she step out of the car.

 

“a— anyeong— anyeonghasseyo, Lee Areum imnida” for the first time in forever, her vouce sounded smaller than Leo.

 

His lips twitched upward, “Ah, why are you so nervous? Is Not like I’m going to interrogate you or something” 

No one ewere sure whether the smile of Park Sanghwan was genuine or not.

“Oh, wait, where’s Taekwoon?”

 

“He wasn't feeling well, so he rests at home” Hakyeon cut the part where ‘he has to take care of this girl baby’

 

“Oh, I see” So far, Mr. Park seemed like a normal rich guy.

“So how’s Ken? Did he pay for the necessities? Did he cook? Did he wash his own clothes? Dishes?” 

 

It took some time for Hakyeon to answered the question. Should he say that his son hardly pays for it? that yes he washes his own clothes and stuff, but was that okay for an heir like him?

 

to cover him, Ravi cleared his throat,

“For the monthly payment we share it together, and we take care of our own self” 

 

and luckily, Mr.Park seemed satisfied with the answer.

“And how about him at college? I heard that you,” He then looked at hongbin.

“Hongbin? Right? I heard that you go to the same college as him, and how is he as a student?”

 

 

‘Out of all questions that I’m ready with, why does it has to be this one’ Hongbin thought.

“I’m taking psychology, and we go to different classes so I usually only see him at home” He took choose the safest answer.

 

“Glad to know,” He gave his oldest son a warm pats on the back.

“I always know that I can trust you, that you can be trusted,”

 

 

 

“And we would like to call for Mr. Park Jaehwan and Park Sanghyuk honours to—“

 

The sound that came from the microphone and the eyes that were sets on their circle are all full of attentions. Ken and Hyuk looked at each other, before they looked at their father.

 

“Go,” He told his sons to go to the spotlight and finish it all. 

 

And so every eye were following the steps of the young park and their walk to the podium. well So did Areum, who couldn’t keep her eyes of her friends, and the reality behind them. Unlike her, they’re visible, stands out, as if they’re walking there , and only certain images of each person’s mind are built to cover them up.

 

“Walk with me,”

A deep voice brushed her ears, telling her to turn around. She found Mr. Park Sanghwan to be the only person who weren't having his eyes on his sons and walked away.

 

And without having too much thought, Areum chose to nod at him, and followed him out.

 


 

 

“You can take those shoes off”

Mr. Park stopped in the quite dining section. It was outdoor, and there was no people there, only some staff who were still doing their job of preparing the food.

 

“I’m sorry?” Areum wasn't following.

 

“I can see people from what they wear and how they present their self,” He lighted a cigarette from his pocket,

“You’re the 20,000 won shirt kind of people, right?” and to complete his image, the smokes came out of his mouth and covering his face.

 

“Yes,” 

Areum took a little step back to avoid coughing in front of him.

“So I can take these shoes off?”

 

He calmly nodded,

“Yes. It's not yours anyway”

 

Areum looked down at her feet, realizing that she got blisters all over her heel and toes. It was only a moment away from her skin to give up and bleed. 

 

“What did you do for your living?” The old guy continue

 

“I’m a barista at a coffee shop,”

 

“How much did you get paid per month?”. It seemed that Park senior is a very straightforward person.

 

“2… 2,000,000 won” 

 

“How old are you?”

 

“20 years old”

 

“What major did you take?”

 

Areum stopped making more sound and took a moment.

“I— I dont go to college…”

 

And right there, Mr.Park turn off his cigarette.

“Why?”

 

‘Must explain everything clearly and leave no misunderstanding behind’ Areum remembered the plan.

“Because—“

 

“You know what, I don't want to know your reason” His eyes changed. for a second there, Areum saw it smiling. “Cause that is not my business”

 

The young girl who has been standing in fright can finally sigh in a little relief.

 

“But Jaehwan and Sanghyuk is,” He continued.

“How long have you know my sons”

 

Areum counted the time on her head,

“More than a month… perhaps, almost three or four months ? ”

 

“How long have you started to live with six guys in the same house?” 

 

“The exact same time since I met them,” She keept her eyes on him.

“And actually there are 7 guys, cause I have my little brother with me”

 

“Okay,” He nodded.

“So you and your little brother has been living with stranger for more than a month because?”

 

“I rent a room on Soonbok-ssi’s house, the one that got burned. and then I stay at their place, Cause luckily I got to met Hongbin, who was my highschool firend. He, Ken, Hyuk, Hakyeon, Ravi and Leo are such a good person, for being generous enough to not letting me and my brother being a homeless. As I stay at their place, I’ve been looking for a new house, but I still can't find one” Surprisingly, Areum could clear it out.

 

“Why don't you go back to your parents?”

 

“Because I can’t"

Her face changed there,

“Are you going to ask me why?”

 

Once again, Park Sanghwan can only nod.

“Like I said, it's not my business”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There was a moment of silence left there, before someone got to speak their minds again.

“So are you going to kick me out of the house?” 

 

“Nope”

“That house belongs to my Sister, who am I to kick a person’s out of a property that doesn't belong to me”. 

 

‘He reminds me of his nephew…’

 

“But I can just tell my sons to come back home”. And with that, He stopped her from thinking too much.

 

 

“Wh— why?” Areum was unsure about what she just said.

 

‘why? stupid,They have a home, a better one than where they live right now. They are his sons, of course he can always tell them to come back home.’

 

“I’m sorry, I don't mean to say such things” Areum took back her words, and bowed.

 

 

 

 

“I’m interested with your ‘why’. Can you please tell me, why?” Mr.Park lighted up his second cigarette.

 

There’s no way on earth Areum was going to tell him why.

 

“I’m waiting for your honesty, I feel like I deserve one” He looked for the young girl’s eyes.

 

“Because—“ Areum stumbled on her thoughts,

“Because I—“

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad!”

A familiar voice intruded,

“They’re all looking for you!” Its Hyuk, calling from the other side of the place.

 

“Okay, I’ll be there in a second” Mr.Park threw his cigarette away, and walked toward his son.

“We’ll continue this later, okay?” He mumbled as he passed on the stoic Areum.

 

 

 

 

“Mr.Park,” Areum called for him, when he was still on her reach.

 

“In the meantime, please look out for my boys, ” He stopped for a second before leaving her alone outside.

 

 


 

 

“Noona,” Hyuk woke her up from her long pause.

“Are— are you okay?” He gave her a glass of water and sit next to her.

 

“Yes, I’m okay” She ignored the offers and chose to rest for a little.

 

“What did he say?” He asked for more details.

 

“Nothing important,” She took back her words, as she snatched the drink from hyuk and took a quick sip.

 

Hyuk could only watch her drinking the glass that was actually belong to him,

“I don't think so, Dad only talks about important stuff”

 

“Obviously,” She mumbled.

 

“It's everything okay? like—“

 

“Yes, everything is okay, don't worry” Areum flicked her dongsaeng’s forehead, stopping him from thinking too much.

“He’s like what Ken describes, generous, kind and thoughtful” She continued with ruffling his hair.

“Eh, don't you still have to go inside?” Areum change the topic.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I don't want to go in there,”

Hyuk got his head off her hands, and looked at her.

 

“Why?”

 

“why not?”

He joined her on leaning on to the chair, and looked up to the sky. 

“Look at the stars, it's too pretty to be missed out”

 

Areum led her eyes on the sky, and instantly captured the night’s beauty.

“You’re right…. how did you know?”

 

Hyuk slid his eyes on the Noona who lost in the sky.

“I just saw it as it reflected on your eyes,"

 

 

 

 

still, “Eh sorry, what did you just said?” Areum still kept her eyes up.

 

“Nothing,” Hyuk covered it with a little lie,

“i said, Areumdaun bamiya,”

He shut his mouth from talking too much, and gaze at the eyes that calmed him down.

"Noona please stay with me"

 

She chuckled, as something just ran though her head,

"Chill, I'm not going anywhere"