chingu-ya

The Sensible Ones

 

“And what are you guys doing here??” Areum rested her hands on each of their shoulders.

 

“eh, noona” Hyuk turned around.

 

“Ah! Areum!”, and Hongbin followed his friend’s response.

 

“I kinda expecting you guys to be here, I mean after all, the house must be boring without me, right?” She grinned, turn around, and casually walked away from them. “Kids! If you have an unfinished homework or difficulties with it, you can ask for these two guys help! They’re a genius!” She exclaimed, stealing more kids’ attention.

 

 

 

“Woah?? really?!”

 

“Ah! Can you help me with math?!”

 

“How about english?! english!!”

 

 

And so like the others, Hyuk and Honbin were also surrounded by the kids and their hunger of knowledge.

 

 

 


 

 

It was almost three, Areum and Jia were busy setting the table outside, preparing a mini picnic for everyone who seemed to have lots of fun. Leo, Ravi and Ken sat together and just sing along with the kids while Hongbin and Hyuk were busy with 4+5-3 or ‘what is the capital city of india’ kind of questions. How about Hakyeon? He was a teacher himself, it's only natural for him to open a sudden art class.

 

 

“They look like they’re all ready for a child,” Jia chuckled, as she looked at the happy people in the yard. “How old are they?”

 

“Hakyeon and Leo are 23, Ken is a year older than me, Ravi and Hongbin. Hyuk is 18, if I’m not mistaken” Areum opened a bag of chips and serve it on a plate, “No trust me, they can only play with them. I’m still the one who changed the diaper and— well, except for Hakyeon and Leo, sometime they changed Kyunggi’s diaper too”

 

 

 

 

 

When Areum told Jia about her living together with them, it was weird to see Jia’s expression of not having to be surprised, she just said “Ah, must be a loud house you live in” and not even bother to question anything, since “Come on, I live with 15 boys here, that’s like nothing”.

 

 

 

Areum sat on the bench and took a sip of water,  “It's been awhile since I actually having a conversation with a girl who’s on a same age as me”

 

“Really? I feel honored” Jia couldn't help but to smile.

 

“Jia,”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can we still be friend?” Areum looked down and she asked for something like that. “I mean—“

 

“Of course we can! Come on!” Jia nudged, “Don't be awkward like this! We’re friends already!”

 

Areum leaned on her shoulder, and laughed at it. “Ahahahaha, I know, I know. Kay, Do you have KaTalk?”

 

“Oh, yes, I do have, you can add—“

 

Areum got up and reach for her pocket, “Wait… my phone….”. She told Jia to stay there, and run to a person whom she believed to be the person who held her phone. “Ravi, where’s my phone?” She whispered, not wanting to disturb the kids that are still listening to Ken and Leo’s singing.

 

 

 

Ravi took a quick look at her, “Eh? I don't think I brought it here, I left it on the table”.

 

“Aish!! you—“

 

“Eh! Ask Hakyeon! He probably—“ But before Ravi got to finish his additional information, Areum have already walked her way to the guy who just finish his mini drawing class.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hakyeon!” Areum sat next to Hakyeon, and helped him with cleaning up the crayon and paper. “Have you seen my phone?”

 

“Oh! yes! yes! I think— wait, I think I left it on the car…” Hakyeon frowned, “Ah, sorry, I do leave it in the car” He gave her the key. “It's on the dashboard, I think… just look for it”

 

“Alright, thanks” Areum grabbed the key and walk to the car.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 Areum opened the front door, “Ah, found it!!” reached for her phone. “Ah, but it ran out of battery—“

 

“I have power bank—”

 

“Sanghyuk!!“ Areum turned around and almost fall into the driving seat as she  found him standing right in front of her. 

 

“Hahahaaha” Hyuk laughed at Areum’s ‘not so amused’ face, “Seriously, I do have a power bank” He leaned forward, forcing arum to move a bit and shared a space as he reached for his pOwerbank on the right side of the dashboard.

 

“Hyuk, you can always use the other door” with that, she couldn't really escape from Hyuk’s arm. 

 

“Oh, right—“ Hyuk backed away, right before he reached his goal. He bowed at her before he went  to the other side of the car and grab his power bank. “Here” While looking down and hid his face that already red with embarrassment, he gave the thing to her.

 

“Thank you!” Areum gave him a thumb after she got to plug her phone into it. “Oh, by the way how did you guys got to find this place?”.

 

Hyuk move to the back side of the car and opens the trunk, “Ah… I don't know, Ken hung is just good at finding places and connections” He took out a box of something. “Noona, can you help me with this?”

 

Areum went and help him with it, “Woah, it's kinda heavy, what is this?” It's about 2-3 kilograms of something in there. 

 

“Toys and clothes, for the kids” But what’s on Areum hands was nothing compared to the other three boxes that Hyuk carries at the same time. “Can you carry it?”

 

“Of course! It's nothing compared to Kyunggi!” And so She was the first one to walk and left the car.

 

“Right, I forgot, careful!” And Hyuk followed her from behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Noona,” Hyuk caught up with her, “Ah, after this, would you like to… eh…”

 

“Sure”

 

Hyuk stopped walking, and letting Areum walks away.

 

Realizing that she was walking alone, Areum looked back and checked on the boy, “What?”

 

“But… I haven't told you where we’re going” Hyuk almost drop his boxes.

 

“But that doesn't really matter,” Areum walks again, and leaving Hyuks behind. “Wherever its is, I bet It’ll be fun” 

 

A bright smile was there, living the boy’s face for the moment. A butterfly on the stomach, a heart that skipped a beat, Hyuk was standing and watched the girl he loves gracefully walked away, just like in the drama, “Noona don't tease me” He muttered.

 

 

 

“Sorry, Did you say something?” Areum turned around again, right before she opens the fence’s gate.

 

“No, I just can't wait for it” He let a smile slip and reached her from afar.

 

She nodded at him, “Ah, yeah, I bet the others too” and walks into the yard, back to the party.

 

‘Of course, it was funny to me for having a thought of being alone with her’  Hyuk put his smile down.

 

 


 

 

“Jia! Say cheese!” The two girls leaned on each other as they took their first picture together.

 

“Cheese!”

 

“Aish, Ken! What are you doing!” Areum noticed someone’s nose on the edge of the frame.

 

“I was passing by” Ken took a look at it, “Ah, such a handsome nose”

 

“Yes, and it's going to be cropped” Areum put her phone back, “Oh, looks like everyone is hungry” And so in a second, the table is already with kids' lines up on grabbing their snacks.

 

“Yeah, It was fun, but kinda tiring” Ravi stoles Ken’s glass away, “Ehm, Where’s Leo?” He could see Hakyeon, Hyuk, and Hongbin with the other kids, but not Leo.

 

“Oh, I think he’s inside, talking with eomma” Jia offered an answer.

 

“Hmm, of course the man of the match, we should thank him for this fun time” And now Ravi moved his hand to Areum’s plate and stole the last piece of the sandwich.

 

“Ah, glad that you guys have some fine, I was afraid that it was bothersome or anything” Jia bowed at them, “Thanks for everything”

 

“If it's them, then you don't have to bow” Areum muttered, “Anyway, I’m going to get more plates” and leaves everyone as she goes inside the house

 

 

 

“Ah, that Agassi… She’s….” Ravi glared at Areum from the back.

 

“I know right…” Ken too.

 

Jia chuckled at the two guys in front of her, “Wishing you guys a good luck”

 

Ravi and Ken turn their faces to Jia, and kept on glaring. 

 

“Hahahaha, I’m kidding, just don't hurt yourself” 

 

 


 

 

Areum got the last two plates from the cabinet with her and quickly went back to the yard. But then, she decided to slow down her pace once she passed a room, where she could hear a very familiar voice of someones.

 

“Thank you so much” It's Leo. Areum was sure of it after she took a look from behind the door.

 

“No, it's us who thanked you” And it was probably Eomma, judging by at the flash of the gray hair on her head.

 

‘ah, its probably the charity thing or something’. Areum chose to walk away,

 

“So when are you ready? How about the documents?”. But once she heard that, she went back and set her ears on the door again.

 

 

 

 

 As if he got an eye on his back, Leo could already feel that there something off. “What are you doing here?”, he turned around, and found Areum’s head popping from behind the door.

 

“Ah— hey! Leo!” she awkwardly smiled and waved her hands.

 

“Ah, you must be Areum, ” surprisingly, the old lady next to Leo is very friendly, “I’m Eomma Bang, nice to meet you” She walked up to areum and take over the plates from her, “Ah let me bring this to Jia” She smiled at her before she leaves her alone with Leo.

 

 

 

“Eavesdropping is so uncool” Leo looked down on Areum who have been silenced for more than a minute.

 

“I know… I’m sorry… but I did not hear anything” Areum bowed at him, “Seriously, I’m sorry”

 

“Good” Leo moved on and walk his way out of the house.

 

But then She just couldn't help it, “What document?” she just had to say it.

 

Leo stopped his hand from opening the door that led to the yard, “I thought you didn't hear a thing”.

 

“Did you really believe that?” Areum ran at him. “Sorry, I did hear a thing… but like… if you don't want to tell me then--“

 

“I dont, sorry” Leo opened the door and went back to the people and the party, leaving Areum alone in the house. 

 

 


 

 

Once Areum got out of the door, she instantly  found her group of people gathered at the table, on the full formation. 

 

“You should pay more attention to your belongings!” Hakyeon called for her, showing her phone that she left on the table.

 

“Oh! Right! Sorry!” She sat next to Hakyeon who also have her brother on his lap. Hakyeon gave the phone back to her, “Thank you” And she started to look through it. 

 

“Ah.. Areum…” Ken cleared his throat, “You see—“

 

“Wait!” Aruem told him to stop talking as she checked on her phone notification, “Ah! it was from the server, I thought—“ She stopped scrolling and put her phone on the table. Her eyes are set to scan each of the guys faces, scanning for guilt or anything related to “there's a new message that I haven't read, but not appears on the notifications, means, someone got to open it before me”

. She showed them her inbox, “I wonder, just, who is this guy… or maybe guys?”

 

No one got to talk back to Areum and her serious looking face, except for Leo, “It's not me” who happened to be with her all this time.

 

“I’m not angry, I’m just asking” She added a little smile into the point.

 

“Have— have you read the message?” Hakyeon finally got to talk, “Cause, you should”

 

Areum looked at her phone again.

 

 

Areum,

 

Is it possible for us to meet some time around today?

 

-unknown number

 

Areum took her moments on digesting the words. “Tsk” She put her phone back on the table, “Probably just a wrong number” SHe shrugged.

 

“Ey! Dont be stupid! how can a wrong number knows your name!” Ravi pushed the phone away, “Its only normal for us to be suspicious and look through it!”

 

“Dont be too dramatic…..” Areum take her phone back, and start to types.

 

To: unknown number

 

Sorry may I know who is this? Cause I happened to not have you on my contact, sorry for the inconvenient :)

 

She pressed the sent button and show it to her friends.

 

“Whats with the smiley face?!” Ken snatched the phones and look at the message again. “Ya! Stupid, why are you sending a smiley face to a stranger?!”

 

“I dont think that the person is a stranger tho…” Areum was the only one who eat and not being intended, “At least This person know my name, so we have met before, he or she probably just change their number or something”

 

Hakyeon, Ken, Ravi Hongbin and Hyuk felt like they want to slap each others face. 

 

“What? Did I say something wrong?” Areum couldn't see why she’s the only one who doesn't seem bothered.

 

“No”

 


 

“Jiaa! until next time!” Areum gave her new friend a warm hug, “I’m going to miss you! Make sure to drop by if you happened to be around seoul!”

 

“Me too! Of course! Goes the same if you’re back at Jeju” Both of them were surely going to miss each other. They were the last person to say goodbye after everyone already got to say it earlier.

 

Areum let go of her hand, “Okay, they must be waiting already!” And picked her brothers up, “Kyunggi, say ‘see you later’ to Jia noona!”

 

“Bye~” Kyunggi added a little choo in the end.

 

“Aw! hahaha see you soon handsome!” Jia gave him one last of his muffely  hair, “Take care of your sister, okay!”

 

“Okay!” Areum try to mimic her brother. 

 

 

The two of them, three including Kyunggi, shared one last hug before actually got to leave and go on their separated ways.

 

“Areum,” Jia called again. “Take care!”

 

“You too!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You’re definitely going to miss her” as he took over Kyunggi from her hand, Hakyeon obviously noticed his friend, Areum, who’s about to cry

 

“I know, hahaha” Areum looked back and found Jia already went inside the house, “Anyway, where are we going after this?” Areum looked at the two cars that parks next to each other, with everyone still standing around it.

 

“Beach, of course. We still can make it to sunset!” Ken raised his hand, “Of course, The Park have their own private beach awaits!”

 

Ravi was the first one to get into the car as he choose to sit on the SUV’s front seat. “I’m hungry”

 

“And of course, we’ve prepared foods too!” Ken added.

 

“Then let's go! Let's go!”

 

  


 

 

“Oh, okay…” Areum was a bit surprised when she got inside the sedan. 

 

“Don't forget to put on the seat belt”again, Leo was,driving, “You guys too”

 

“Sure” Hongbin looked away through the window.

 

“Okay!” And Hyuk rested his head as he just finish adjusting Kyunggi’s seat next to him.

 

 

 

Oh, it's going to be a long way there.