Cracked.

The Sensible Ones

 

“So how’s that count as an emergency?”  As they walked their way back to the car, they continue the conversation.  “The part where you’re not sure about your brother having a playdate with our dear Jung Taekwoon?” 

“Yes. I need to know whether he’s alright or not,” Areum shook her head, “After listening to you I feel like I need to check on my brother for every minutes!”

 

 

 

 


Ken parked the car and put on his sunglasses before he got out of the car. Areum followed him from the other side, “So this is hanlim?”. She’s been there before, a couple of times, but only got to see the building from the outside. 

“Yup, Something that I can actually be proud of,” Ken fixed his collar, “Don't get lost, please, it’ll be embarrassing”.

“Of course I won’t!”.

 

 

 

 

 

“Areum, can I ask you a question?” A random question popped out as they went along the east wing, “I clearly remember that you were an amateur photographer who took pictures of everything that you see with your phone, but recently, you keep forgetting your phone, and so my question is simple, why?”

“Huh?” She was a bit startled By the sudden question. “Well simple, my phone ran out of space so its kinda useless, I use it only for phone calls and texts, look, now my phone is dead and I don't care” To complete the proof, Areum showed him her phone.

“Ah, I see, what an ugly phone…” Ken Nodded before jumped on to the next question, “Hmm, one more question, may I?”

“Sure”

“What do you think about my brother?”.


It was almost five, yet some part of the school still remained loud. But when that question slipped out of Ken’s mouth, it was like they were walking in a soundproof tunnel. Silence, both of them could sense the silence and awkwardness. “Hyukkie… well—“

 

 


“Ya! Park Jaehwan, is that you??” A pat on the shoulder intruded the two of them. “Ah! It is you! Ya, Kennie, do you still remember me??”

Ken bowed at the man who seemed to know him well, “Ah seonsangnim! Its been a while!”

“Ya, Ofcourse!!and,  I heard you’re taking business? Huh? How come??” The man who looked older by years tangled his hand around Ken’s, “I really thought that you’re going to be an idol or a model!” and showed the amount of affection he got for him.

“Ah, yeah, well—“

“Ya, seriously, Jaehwan even your girlfriend also looks like an idol! Sorry, sorry I didn't see you!” He smiled, “Ya, My name is Jonghwan, I was his vocal coach and now Hyuk’s homeroom teacher, and who is this beautiful lady over here?”

“Ah, Lee Areum imnida…” A polite bow followed, “Nice to meet you,”

‘I’m sorrry’ Ken mouthed to Areum, “Seonsengnim, actually—“

“Ya! You need to stop calling me your teacher! we’re now friends!” He gave a warmer pat, “Make sure to invite me to your wedding, okay?” And two thumbs for them.

 

 

 

 


“Wedding?” 

 


 

 


“HONGBIN ARE YOU NUTS?!” Before it was too late, Hakyeon got to pull his brother away from the road, and let the car passed with a long honk. Exactly like three years ago, Hongbin almost killed himself. “Dong Hongbin!!”

ANd like his brother, Hongbin wasn't sure about him either, “Sorry—“

“Sorry, you said?! What the hell were you thinking about?!?!” 

On his brother’s arm, Hongbin stayed on the ground for a minute. Reflecting on his action as everything was only a glimpse, the moment he stepped into the asphalt, Hongbin couldn't feel a thing. “I want to go back in time,” He mumbled. “I want to say goodbye,”

“What?” Hakyeon released him as hongbin made his way to reach his phone that fell on the ground.

The screen was cracked, but it still can be used. with his trembling thumb, he went to the gallery and choose a picture to be sent. The last picture he took, the picture that got him all the trouble and the bruises. 

 

 

 

three years ago.

 

 

“So tomorrow,” Hongbin threw the ball away, “it's Saturday, let's watch a movie or something”

Responding to that, Areum picked up the ball and made her final lay up, “No thanks, I’m busy” 

 

Like any other day, they stayed late after school for a one on one match. Nothing change between them, except for the fact that  Hongbin made it to the team, and Areum couldn't see him as a student anymore, they’re practically a rival. 

“Come on, you even passed the test with a C! It’ll be my treat!” He scoffed, “Senpai, please,”

“So now I’m your senpai?” Areum chuckled, “I’ll think about it later," She grabbed her bag and leave the court. "See you" 

 

“Wait, that's it?” Hongbin shook his head, “How am I supposed to know whether you say a yes or not??”

Areum stopped walking and turned around, “Oh, yeah, right…” and just realized that her senteces werent complete. “I’ll text you?” She chirped.

“How?” Hongbin showed a smirk. “Huft, just give me your phone,”

 

Areum took out her phone and threw it hongbin, “Catch—“

 

“YA! You’re crazy!” An extra effort needed for him to save the phone from hitting the ground as he slid and caught it, “You really are!” but despite that, Hongbin still saved his number and properly returned the phone. “See you tomorrow,” A sly smile slipped out.

“Yeah, see you,” and got reply by a hand wave of goodbye as Areum walked her way home.

 

 

 

 

“Mom? Dad?” Hongbin went downstairs and found a morning surprise, “What are you guys doing in here?”.

 

His dad was sitting on the dining chair with a look that he dislike the most. The kind of look when he wanted to talk about something that will ruin his plan. Next to him, his mother has just finished cooking the breakfast and were serving the table. As for Hakyeon, he has already waited for him on the other side of the table, leaving an empty seat for him. “Hongbin, looking good, going somewhere?”

If he said that he would, he knew that His dad wouldn't be happy. From what it looked like, they just got here before dawn. “No, why?”

“Good, then you can pack your stuff starting now,” A statement that he never sees it coming, “You’re coming with Hakyeon to Seoul”

 

 

 

 

 

 


“I left her when we’re about to become a friend outside the court,” Theres only a person that he could think about as he send the picture, “Hyung, What do you think will happen if I managed to say goodbye to her?”


Is he talking about Areum?. Hakyeon lowered his eyes, “Im glad that you didn’t” as he was being honest, “Cause you’ll be the only person who got to be happy, and that's unfair”

 

 



“Wedding?” Sungjae stuck out his head so that he could see what actually happened behind the wall where he was hiding, and he was more than surprised. “Areum Noona and Ken Hyung? wow, Hyuk need to know this!”

 

 

 

 


“Ya!! Park Sanghyuk!!!” Sungjae pantingly entered the dance studio, “Ya!”

“Sungjae! What took you so long??” Hyuk turned off the music and walked toward his friend, “And where's my coffee?”

Sungjae blanked his view, “co— coffee?” before he realized that he did something ‘wrong’, “AH! Yeah, The teacher took it away because he thought I ditched the class which is also why I’m late, cause i got detention,  sorry…”

“No, I’m sorry. I was joking when I said you need to go and buy me a coffee” Hyuk sighed and walk back to the stereo, “Come on, let's start practice,“

“But Areum Noona!” 

“Oh, you met her?” Hyuk kept going on setting the beat, “Then don't fall for her,”

 Sungjae bit his lips, “Don't worry about me, worry about your brother instead.” Hyuk turned off the music and froze, “I saw them in the hallway and they were talking about wedding”

“What?” Hyuk turned around. “Already?”

Sungjae narrowed his brows in a surprised, “Wait, so you know they’re going to get married?”

“No, I don’t, I only know they’re engaged—“

“Wait, What?!” He gasped, “Woah, woah, let me get this straight, so you like your brother fiancé?”

“Yes—,” Hyuk made a correction, “No, pretend to be fiance! well, let's skip that part,  huft, before, you said that you met them? Where?” before he left the room.

“In the hallway!” Sungjae followed his friend who just ran off, “East wing, On the second floor!”

 

 

While running his best to find the two people in such a big school, Hyuk explained the thing about Ken and Eunju’s arranged married, and the plan to cancel with Areum pretending to be Ken’s fiance. Everything, he explained almost everything except for, “even though we live together—“
“Excuse me?” Sungjae grabbed his friend by the shirt, stopping him from making more steps ahead, “live? Together?”

Wait, I haven't told him?

“Where?!?” Sungjae widened his eyes in shock. “In your place???”

“Yeah, in our place…”

“With your brother too?!?! And the four other Hyung?!?” 

Hyuk could only nod at his friend, “Yes, well now, including her brother, then there are six other dudes”

Sungjae shook his head, “So scandalous…” 

“Hey! It's only until she found a new place!” Hyuk continued his walk with Sungjae tailing him even closer.

“Since when?!?”

“I don't know I forgot four months or something--“

“Thats a long time!!” Sungjae raised his pace as Hyuk did the same. “hey, Hyuk, do you really like her?”

“How’s that your business?”

“That can be my business because I still remember the reason why you rejected all of the blind date that I've set up, was because you said that your ideal type is a sweet girl with no men around her” Hyuk stopped himself from stepping into the next stair, “And look at you now”

“Did I say that? When?” Hyuk slowly turned his face on his friend.

“Every time I said that there's a girl who’s dying to meet you!!” Sungjae could only ruffled his hair in disbelievement. “Argh! Why are you so complicated!”

“Why do you care?” Hyuk jumped on the stair and continued his search, “Sungjae you really need to chill cause I am—“

“No you’re not” Again, Sungjae grabbed his friend’s shirt and pulled it just so he could stop running, “You’re running around the school looking for someone that you’ll get to see when you’re back home, while you still have a full choreography of tomorrow’s test which you haven't memorized” He sneered, “now how the you can say that you’re chill?”

“But you said that they’re going to get married,” Hyuk let out a heavy sigh and threw the grip off his hand.

“But then you said that its all fake! Hyuk, now you really need to chill and go back to the—“

Sungjae stopped his mouth from saying more words right after he saw the look that his friend made. “How am I supposed to chill,” The look of a man, “When I’m just a dongsaeng to her?” who managed to unleash his deepest fear. “How am I supposed to chill when I still need to call her noona?”

 

 

 

 


 

"I think we nailed it Ken, your teacher believe that we're a couple"

"Congrats to us, I guess? eh, Wait, I just realized that I have a mini power bank!” Ken took it out from his jean’s pocket, “Huh, I thought it was my phone!” and gave it to Areum.

“But you’re holding your phone..” Areum plug and charge her phone, “Rich people in general are weird, noted”

“Whatever. you can thank me later, okay, that thing is still working”. Ken looked at his phone to make his tenth calls of the last five minutes, “Why is he not picking up! Come on, how am I supposed to know where you are in this gigantic school!”

“But you’re an alumni, don't you have guesses?” Areum made a good point.

“I have, I mean, according to the calendar its near the school festival and tests so he should be in the dance studio, but which dance studio I don't know,” Ken frowned, “And apparently they did a renovation so I can't recognize any of the rooms,”

“So you’re basically the same as me? a stranger?” Another point she made.

“NO! well—  still no! I’m an alumni—“ 

A sound of something got dropped and broken echoed. “Ah! Sorry!! I’m so sorry!!!” Areum picked up her phone and the power bank from the ground. “Ken! I really am! I’m so sorry I’ll buy you the new one!”

“You buy it for yourself!” Ken crouched and helped her, “Look, apparently my power bank is more expensive than your phone!” Contrary of his power bank, Areum phone was scattered in pieces. “What is wrong with you?”

Areum did not respond and just collected the remaining of her phone, “I've been living with this phone for five years,” She chuckled, “Guess I need a new one”. Areum got up, then walked to the nearest trash bin. And Without saying any word, she threw away the pieces.

“Woa— Areum! Are you crazy?!?” Ken came up to her, “Areum!” he held her by the wrist  to prevent her from doing anything crazier than that. “What— what is wrong with you? We can still fix it—“

“Can we go home?” While looking down at her feet, she cut off, “Now”

“Yea— well, yea we can, I guess, I’ll text Hyuk that we’re leaving” He let go of her hand and reach for his phone. 

 

 

 

 

 


“Is Hyuk okay?” After almost an hour of a silent ride, Areum woke up and found the car was stuck in traffic. “I’m sorry”

“Yeah, it's okay, he said that he has things to do so…” Ken stole a glance at her, “Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry, I really am” Areum repeated.

No music, for both of them. Areum only have an earphone with no phone or a music player and Ken didn't have the guts to turn on the radio. It was the awkwardest ride each of them ever had. 

 

 


 

To: Jae Hyung

So you were here with Noona?

From: Sanghyuk

 

Hyuk finished typing and pressed the send button. After he finished everything, he took the safest ride for the night, which was the cab.

 

 

To: Hyukkie~~

Yes, but now we got caught up on a traffic Cause I took the wrong turn >< huhuhu are you done??

From: Jae Hyung

 

 

An unbelievably fast reply he got, “Ah, great at least he got to be stuck with her—“

 

To: Hyukkie~~

Hyukkie, tomorrow, lets go somewhere :D

From: KEN!

 

Hyuk took a moment to think of an answer before he replied.

 

To: Jae Hyung

But you still have to spend more time with noona at least until saturday.

From: Sanghyuk

 

“What is wrong with hyung?”

 

To: Hyukkie~~

No its okay! I’ll pick you up after school (for real ^^)

From: KEN!

 

“Hyung…” he groaned.

 

To: Jae Hyung

No need to thank me cause I can’t. if you really have a time then spend it with her.

From: Sanghyuk

 

 


 

 

“Ah! New couple! Welcome home!” Eunju spread her arm to the two people who finally made it home, “How’s your day?? Fun?? What did you learn about each other??”

“Stuff,” Areum smiled upon her before she went straight to the bedroom.

“What is—“

“I think it's better if we can leave her be,” Before Eunju got to sneer, Ken stepped in to clarify everything.

Eunju widened her eyes “Hey!! Jaehwan, What did you do to her???” and almost hit ken with her pen if only Ravi weren't there to hold her, “Hey!!!”

“Eunju…” Ravi muttered as he set a disappointed look at Ken. “Ken, what happened?”

“I don't know! How am I supposed to know??” Ken raised his voice, Argh! Was I too harsh on her?! What did I do wrong??

“How are you supposed to know you say?! You’re her freaking fiancé!”

“A fake fiance to save your from being tied to mine!!”. Eunju, Ravi and Leo who were left in silence. It was the first time they heard Ken being harsh like that. “And why do you care about her?! Isn’t this an advantage for you to get your ex boyfriend back—” 

He was cut off by a slap, “This has nothing to do with Hongbin,” As Eunju finally got to swing her hand. 

Ravi puffed an air, “Ken—”

“You know what, it's better for me to get disowned by my own dad for telling lies rather than playing this stupid game” Ken raise his hand, and made his way out of the house, “I’m done”.


“I swear to god Jaehwan—“ 

“Eunju, stop” Ravi held her hand from opening the door and chased after Ken, “Do you even know what actually happened? No, right? then don't make assumption!”

 

While everyone still standing around the door, A person came in. “I’m home—“ It was Hyuk, who was welcomed by such an unfriendly aura. “I think I just bumped into my brother, but I'm not sure, do you guys know what happened?”

Eunju scoffed “No one know” and let a smirk wrapped the night.