any more questions?

The Sensible Ones

Hyuk leaned on Leo’s seat, “so hyung, you can actually drive?”.

 

 

 

Leo kept his eyes on the road, not feeling the need to answer that question. 

 

 

 

And out of nowhere, “Guys!” Areum raised her phone, “Say cheese!!” making sure that everyone fitted into the screen. Hyuk moved closer to Kyunggi and picked him up. Hongbin blinked an eye and show his side profiles, meanwhile Leo just casually stole a glance on the phone. “Nice pic!” and that was how a perfect selfie made by them

 

 

 

“Ah, the lighting is nice, I look defines” Hongbin looked at the result and feel satisfied, “You too, Hyuk”

 

 

 

“No, no, no, let's take another one, I look like a potato!” feeling insecure, he asked for another retake, “Try to take it from this side—“

 

 

 

“If you’re a potato, then what am I?” Areum refused, “You look cute, okay”.

 

 

 

‘You look cute’ those words is more than enough to boost up his confidence, “Ah, really?” making him blush for a second, 

 

“Ye—“

 

 

 

“Areum,” and of course, causing a particular jealousy to the other person. Hongbin had no choice but to put himself in the conversation, “how is your feet?” 

 

 

 

“It's okay, I guess…” She looked down at her feet, “I mean I can walk with it, so… there's nothing to complain about” She shrugged.

 

 

 

“Good to know” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wait,” After some time, Areum started to move around her seat, “I think… I think we passed this road before, that's the same tree” She pointed at a tree outside. “And thats— thats the same house, Leo do you know where we’re going?”

 

 

 

“Not really”

 

 

 

“HEH?!” The other three were more than shocked.

 

“Hyung! What is wrong with you?!” Hongbin raised his tones, “Well, you should at least tell us!”

 

 

 

In a hurry, Leo pulled the car over “I’ve only gone to that place once, and I took the same road as I recall”. He then looked behind, and  “So are we lost?” asking the obvious.

 

 

 

“Don't ask me! The last time I went to Jeju was… three years ago??” Hongbin refused to be in charge of the mess, “Ask the beach owner”.

 

 

 

“Eh?? hyung, I thought you knew the place, I thought you went there a lot, I mean your sister went there a lot so—“

 

 

 

“I’m not my sister” Leo struck some tension in his glares to his cousin, “You should’ve told me earlier whether I made the wrong turn or not”

 

 

 

“But I don't really remember the way to get there—“

 

 

 

“But you’re the owner!” Hongbin hissed, “why are you even in the car if you can't show us the way?”

 

 

 

“ Excuse me, then what are you doing here, Hyung? Its not like you can guide us to get there either“

 

 

 

“HEY!! How old are you guys, twelve?!” Areum couldn't handle it anymore, it was like she's dealing with three additional kyunggi, “Calm down!! we can just—“

 

 

 

“Uwaaaaaaaah” The baby is very sensitive to tones, and so when he heard his sister snapped out, Kyunggi only reaction was to cry on his uncomfortableness. “Uwaaah! uwaaaaah!”

 

 

 

“Aaah! Kyunggi! I dont meant to—“ She tried to explain her behavior to her brother, “I’m sorry, I was mad at them not you” and tried to calm him down, but it's just not working. 

 

 

 

Seeing everything to be not okay,  Leo believed that he has to take action. He quickly gets out of the car and moved to the back seat, “Hongbin, you drive” He told Hongbin to get out and switch places.

 

 

 

“Huh? Why?”

 

 

 

“Cause I told you so”. With that order, Hongbin quickly got out of the car and move to the front, while Leo got in and sat on the back. He wrapped  Kyunggi around his arms, and calmed him down. “It's okay, You don't have to worry” He whispers to him, making the baby stops crying in a second.

 

 

 

“Great, so now Kyunggi chooses him over me, ” she clucked in disappointment. “So what now?” 

 

 

 

“We can just ask Ken— wait, where are they?” Hongbin looked around, “We lost them too?

 

 

 

“Of course we did! If we weren't, then we wouldn't be here!” Areum took out her phone, okay let me call them!” 

 

 


 

 

 

“Yo,” Ravi answered the call.

 

 

 

“Where are you?!” he can hear that its Areum who’s talking to him.

 

 

 

“Hey, where are we?” He asked for Ken’s confirmation.

 

 

 

Ken looked around the street, “Uhm, tell them to wait, we’re already near” 

 

 

 

Ravi nodded and immediately told them on the phone, “Just wait, we’re already nea—“

 

 

 

“No! No! We’re not there yet!” Areum exclaimed, making Ravi to keep his distance with the phone

 

 

 

“Ken, they said they’re not yet there…”

 

 

 

“Huh? So why did they ask?”

 

 

 

“Ken said that if you guys is not yet there, then why did you ask“

 

 

 

“Cause apparently we're lost!!”. 

 

 

 

Ravi went back to his two other friends, “They said that they asked because—“ He picked his phone up again, “Did you guys just say lost?!?”

 

 

 

Hakyeon immediately pulled the car over, “What?! How come!?” and snatched the phone, “Ya!! Where are you guys!?!”

 

 

 

“I— I don't know, I have never been to Jeju before— Leo, where are we? ….. He said that he don't know— If we know where are we then we’re not lost!!” Areum just have to yell over the phone.

 

 

 

“Calm down! Okay, can you guys look at the surroundings??? Can you see buildings or—“

 

 

 

“No! There's no such things! There's only trees and… trees! There's no house or people to ask for!”

 

 

 

“Okay… this is not good” Hakyeon looked at his friends, “Ken, they said they they’re in between trees with no buildings around”

 

 

 

 Ken facepalmed, “Are you describing most part of Jeju??”. 

 

 

 

Mr.Driver Hakyeon could only hissed, “Ken said that you guys just describing jeju in general—“

 

 

 

“That's because we’re lost!!” This conversation was not going anywhere.

 

 

 

“Why don't they just use GPs?” Asked Ravi,

 

“They can't, it's a private beach” Ken answered, “This is bad, this is the worst, should I send them a rescue party?”

 

Hakyeon got back to the phone, “Ya, should we send people to look for you guys—“

 

“No! Never mind, we’re saved! See you later!”

 

 

 

And just like that, the call ended, leaving more questions to Hakyeon, Ravi and Ken.

 

Hakyeon looked at his dongsaeng, “Was that a prank?”

 

“Maybe? I don't know they’re all stupid”  Ravi goes back at being relaxed, "Let's just see what'll happen..."

 

 


 

 

 

A car stopped next to theirs, and the driver came out. a woman, a pretty woman in summer clothes who look classy with her porsche. 

 

“Wait, I think I’ve seen her before” Hyuk muttered, “Heh! isn't that—“

 

 

 

“What is she doing here…” Hongbin immediately got out of the car and walked up to her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where are you?!” Areum doesn't really pay attention to her friend and just talk on the phone,

 

 

 

“Just wait, we’re already nea—“

 

 

 

“No! No! We’re not there yet!” Areum exclaimed. Raising her voice over panicking while waiting for Ravi and the others got back on the phone,

 

 

 

“Ken said that if you guys is not yet there, then why did you ask“

 

 

 

Areum just couldn't believe how stupid her friend is, “Cause apparently we're lost!!”. 

 

 

 

“What?! How come!?” She could hear that it’ was Hakyeon who took over the phone, “Ya!! Where are you guys!?!”

 

 

 

“I— I don't know, I have never been to Jeju before—“ Areum looked around,  “Leo, where are we?”

 

 

 

 Unfortunately, Leo has no other answer beside “I don't know”

 

 

 

”He said that he don't know— If we know where are we then we’re not lost!!” Areum already lost her cool.

 

 

 

 

 

“Calm down! Okay, can you guys look at the surroundings??? Can you see buildings or—“

 

 

 

“No! There's no such things! There's only trees and… trees! There's no house or people to ask for!” Again, She could only hissed at him. “Guys, why are they all so stupid!?” She put the phone away so that she can grumble. “Hey, Hongbin, why is your—“ Areum has just realized that Hongbin is not in the car, “Where is he??”

 

Hyuk pointed at the two people who are talking outside, “There”.

 

 

 

“Eh? Who is he talking with?” Areum tried to look closer, “Wait, I think I’ve seen her before…”

 

 

 

Hakyeon got himself back on the phone, “Ken said that you guys just describing jeju in gene—“ 

 

 

 

And so did Areum, “That's because we’re lost!!”. 

 

 

 

“That's because you did” Leo muttered, back to the topic of recognizing the girl who's with hongbin, “Don't you remember her?”

 

 

 

Areum put the phone away again and try to remember, “Hmm… that pretty face… I’ve seen her in… oh!! Isn't that!! Isn't that Hongbin’s ex girlfriend?!”. After a while, she finally recognized her. “Ah! Is it a good thing or not??”

 

 

 

In relief, “I think it is,” Hyuk leaned on his seat, “Eunju Noona’s family is a good friend of ours, she always goes to our place whenever she’s in jeju. So, she should’ve—“

 

 

 

“Ya, should we send people to look for—“ Apparently, Hakyeon was still on the phone.

 

“No! Never mind, we’re saved! See you later!” Areum hangs up. “It's true, right?? We’re saved??”

 

 

 

“Let's just ask them”.

 


“Hyung, how did she know that we’re here?” That was the first question from Hyuk right after he and Hongbin back to the car.

 

 

 

“She doesn't, she said that she was just looking for some fresh air” Hongbin got a grip on the steering wheel, “Hyung, aren't you going to drive?”

 

 

 

“No, Kyunggi is sleeping” Leo stayed close with the baby.

 

 

 

“But Hongbin hyung, you can drive… right?”

 

 

“Of course I can,”  he almost scold, and its seemed that Hongbin wasn't really in a good mood. “Do you have to ask?”

 

 

 

“Well, I was just asking…”

 

 

 

“Then stop asking” Hongbin ran the car right after he saw Eunju leaving the place, following her and keeping the distance to be as close as possible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So hyung, you and Eunju noona is still in a good term?”

 

 

 

“I said stop asking”

 


 

“I’ve been looking for you” Eunju broke the silence, as she looked at the person who have been silent for the whole ride next to her. “Don't you have a lot of questions? Like for example, who am I, or how can I know them?”

 

 

 

“Ehm… not really? I mean—“

 

 

 

“Well, I’m a bit offended by that” She cackled, “Come on, don't be shy. Just blurts out your curiosity”

 

 

 

Areum carefully thought, about it. It would be a lie for her to say that she doesn't have any question, cause actually, there were lots of things about Eunju in her head that made her confuse. “Ehm, so, you know them all?”

 

 

 

“I do, I do know them all” Eunju grinned on the road without even care whether it would look strange or not, she was just enjoying herself, like always. “My parents and the park brothers' parents are close, so, we got to know each other, we’re not really close but, we’re close? Get it? No? That's okay, and like, Ravi and I used to be neighbors, and I know taekwoon just recently.. I mean after I met Hakyeon, and…” She inhaled some air, before finishing her explanation “Hongbin”.

 

 

 

That answer most of Areum's questions without her even need to ask it directly. 

 

 

 

“Is there any other question?” 

 

 

 

“Ah… no? I don't think so…” 

 

 

 

“Good, then, I’ll just have to tell you one more thing” She made a time to properly look at Areum in the eyes, “I like hongbin, no, I’m still in love with Dong Hongbin” 

 

 

 

Areum did not see that coming, and it was like a sudden attack. “Okay…”

 

 

 

“Do you like him?”. 

 

 

 

A long pause came up,

 

 

 

“By like, you mean, like, in a romantic way of liking someone, right?” Areum made sure.

 

 

 

Eunju sighing at how unimportant it is for Areum to ask back such a rhetorical question like that, “Of course”

 

 

 

If that's the case, then Its easy for Areum to answer it, “Well, I don’t”.

 

 

 

As if she knew what her answer would be, Eunju just straight to her next question, “And so do you like anyone?”

 

 

 

“Is the connotation of liking is still the same as before?”

 

 

 

For Areum to ask the obvious this again, It was starting to get on her nerve, “Of course.... Like seriously, have you ever had a girl talk??”

 

 

 

Areum paid more attention to Eunju, “Well, then again, I don’t…”.

 

 

 

“Good! Then, stay away from him” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The car has finally stopped in front of a cottage, next to a deserted beach. To look around, there was already a car parked next to them, and it was no other then Leo’s SUV, means that Hakyeon, Ravi and Ken has already arrived. 

 

 

 

“If it's too stay away, then it will be hard” Areum looked behind, looking for Leo’s other car, “We live in the same house, so to avoid him will be… hard…”

 

 

 

“I say to stay away, not to avoid” Eunju smirked, “Can you do that?”

 

 

 

Areum didn't see anything to be bothered with, “Of course, Of course I can!”.

 

 

 

“Cool, you’re awesome. Let's be friend,” Eunju widely open her arms for a hug, “or would you prefer a common handshake? But then, it will seem like a business… just so you know, I really do want to be your friend”

 

 

 

 

 

After some time of putting all the pieces together and understands just what she was talking about, despite her weird and uncommon attitude, For a reason, Areum believed that Eunju is a good person. Moreover, she’s a girl, and since ages, Areum could only recall one female friend on her contact list whom she has just earned earlier today. To look at herself, she felt like she really needed a female friend, And so she threw herself for that hug,  “So now we’re friends?” agreed to the offer.

 

 

 

“I bet you don't have much of a friend, don't you?” It was the most awkward hug people could ever imagine, “But who cares, you must be one weird kid like me,”

 

 

 

“Well, some people say so, they said that I blabbers a lot…”

 

 

 

“At least we kinda look alike, in some parts” Eunju released the hug, " look! They made it safely here” and pointed at the last car to arrive. “I wish I could stay, but I really need to catch up on the last plane”.

 

 

 

As if it was a sign for her to get off, Areum immediately unbuckle her seatbelt, “Oh okay,” and leave the car.

 

 

 

“I’ll be seeing you soon!” Eunju gave her a warm smile, 

 

 

 

“Eh, can— can I ask you something?” Before Eunju got to leave, Areum made a time on knocking at her window. 

 

 

 

“Sure… of course, aren't we friends?”

 

 

 

Areum took out her phone, and showed her a message

 

 

 

Areum,

 

 

 

Is it possible for us to meet some time around today?

 

 

 

-Unknown number

 

 

 

“I don't mean to be rude, but was that you?”

 

 

 

Eunju took a closer look on the screen, “You should change your phone, it's kinda ugly. And no, it's not me, I will never be that polite on a text” She put on a sunglasses, stating that she was ready to go,“well, just Tell everyone I say hi”

 

 

 

“Sure!”. Areum wave her hands goodbye as she watches on her new other friend leave the place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Areum waited for her other friends who seemed busy in the car, since it was almost five minutes and neither Hongbin, Hyuk, Leo, Nor Kyunggi get actually out of the car. 

 

 

 

 

 

“Was that her?” Someone patted her shoulder, “Eunju, was that Eunju?”

 

 

 

“Eh?” She turned around, and find Ravi standing next to her. “Yup, oh, and before I forgot, she also said hi”

 

 

 

“Why didn't she tell me herself?” Ravi set his eyes on his view of the hills and its roads, where he could see a car still making its way back to the city.

 

 

 

“She said that she needs to catch up on the plane, ” she tried to recall.

 

 

 

“What else did you guys talk about?”

 

 

It wasn't  because of Ravi, who suddenly becomes interested in it, but the fact that she’s not sure whether she could really tell him about what she were talking about with Eunju was what makes her confused. “Ehm… stuff??”

 

 

 

“Let me guess, its Hongbin?” Ravi tucked his hands in his pocket, clucked on Areum who remained silent,“Yeah, I bet it's Hongbin. Huft, If it's her then Its always going to be Hongbin”

 

 

 

“How do—“

 

 

 

“Guys!! What took you so long??” Ravi shouted at his other friends who finally got to get out of the car.

 

 

 

“Do you have a towel? Kyunggi peed in the car!!”

 

 

 

“He what?!” Areum quickly ran to them, “Ah! he needs to change his clothes or he might catch a cold!” Leaving Ravi, who just stood still from afar, not even wanting to help.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Now I wonder,” Ravi heaved an air, “Lee Areum, Will you help me or not?”

 


 

 

In the end, they made it on time for a sunset glow and a little BBQ party, celebrating their last day in Jeju. They gathered around on the porch while looking at the sea that according to Areum, it turned into million litters of  orange juice. 

 

 

 

“Do we really have to leave tomorrow?” Ken threw a judgmental look towards his brother, “And with a freaking 4am flight??”

 

 

 

“Hyung, I told you, I have schools” Hyuk pretended to not notice his cranky brother and continued to help Hakyeon with the grills, “Right, seonsangnim ?”

 

 

 

“Yes, Education is very important, basic of a knowledge” Settled his hands on the waist, Hakyeon sense of preaching is friends.

 

 

 

Hongbin just sneered at him,  “Said the teacher who agrees to extend a day if it's necessary” while continue on serving the kimchi.

 

 

 

“It's only because I don't have a class tomorrow!” Hakyeon tried to explain his reasoning. “Look, if we want to make a real trip, then lets do it on holidays”

 

 

 

while sipping a can of beer,“But everyplace will be crowded with people…” Ravi rested on the chair,  “I rather stay at home and make money”

 

 

 

“It won't be if we go abroad— I know!! Let's go abroad!” Ken raised his hand, “Where should we go? London? california? madrid? paris?? oh! i know, Bahamas!!”

 

 

 

“Rich people and their sense of reality.. You talk about it as if you’re only going to a supermarket” the almost drunk guymumbled.

 

 

 

“What's the difference?” Ken wondered, “Oh! Right, passports and visa… well, that can be arranged”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Eh, Ken, where's the kitchen again?” Areum saw that there's still something missing from the table, “The glass, I think you forgot to bring out the glass”

 

 

 

“You just go in and its on the left side of the bathroom… if I’m not mistaken”

 

 

 

“You forgot your own house placement??” 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, but I have lots of it! Well, if it's not on the left, then it's on the right! I’m not sure, but you can't be lost in their” Ken and hunger was never really a good match, “Taekwoon Hyung, passed me that chips!” as it drove hi to be more annoying then the usual

 

 

 

“But it's mine” Leo shook his head, “Just wait for the meat”

 

 

 

“I did, and that's why I’m hungry!” Ken got up and came at his cousin who have been quietly watching Hakyeon grills the meat. “Give me some of it!” He quickly tried to reach for the only food available for now, not wanting to give up until he got to taste a bit of it.

 

 

 

“Kids!! Don't play around hot stuff!” Hakyeon shooed both of them, “if you want to fight, then fight like a real man, go there and only come back when you’re already winning!” and pointed at the shores just in front of them, a huge field for settling every kind of problem.

 

 

 

 

 

Leo got up and silently excluding himself from everyone. From Ken’s eyes of hunger, to be precise. 

 

 

 

“Ya! Don't run away you bag of chips!!” Ken and his sense, he can trace any kind of food that’s left open. He quickly chased Leo, and so the two of them ended up running around the beach, fighting over a bag of chip.

 

 

 

 

 

“So Hakeyon eomma decided to change his way of raising his children?” Ravi was very amused by what he saw, “Aish! I see Leo got some sea splash! Whoop! ahahahaahha!” He clapped his like a seal, feel tempted, “Wait!! Guys! Let me join!!” and so Ravi just threw away his shirt away and joined his two other friends on the shores.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Boys….” Areum looked at his brother in worry. “Kyunggi promise me that you’ll do better than them— wait! the glass!” 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Areum got into the house and searched for the glass on the kitchen. “Hmm, but there's only six glasses…” She counted at all the glass on the rack, and try to bring all of it at once, “Ah, as expected from expensive glass, so heavy” Areum feel troubled, her small hands can't contain all of the glass.

 

 

 

“Wait, let me help you” Hongbin offered her a hand, gently take over most of the glass. “Earlier,” He coughed, try to slip a conversation in between, “You and, Eunju, what—“

 

 

 

Not letting him finish his word, “Oh, okay” Areum left all the glass to Hongbin, and go back to the porch, letting Hongbin to do all the trouble.

 

 

 

“Eh?”