another story.

The Sensible Ones

“So I heard that you guys went to Jeju last week?”. Inguk helped his dongsaeng on finishing the order, “But I see no difference on you”

 

“Well, Yeah, we did go to Jeju but not doing Jeju… but it was fun” areum looked at her skin, realizing that, it was still as pale as before, there was no sign of having a contact with the sun. “Sunbae, this one is the machiatto extra shots, and this one is the… wait… I forgot—“

 

“frappuccino” Inguk got the orders, and gave it to the customers. “To forgetting an order, it's so not you. What's wrong?” 

 

Since her shift was almost ended, Areum decided to take off her apron, “I just… I don't know… there's just… there's a lot of things happen, for some reason” Areum sat on the floor, hiding her presence from people, “I feel like, there's some things off, for some reason”

 

“You sensing something? That's new, hahaha” He gave her a cup of water, “Here—“

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I would like to order one green tea latte, please”.

 

 

Inguk dropped the cup, and turns his way to the customer “Oh, sure,” immediately note the orders, “Is there anything else?”

 

The guy smirked, “Oh, there is. How about, try to treat your customers better—“

 

“Hongbin?!” Areum got up, “What are you doing here???”

 

“Ah Areum, so you’re on your shift” He fake a smile, cause actually he knew that Areum has been there the whole time.

 

“Actually its about to end.. In…” Areum looked at her watch, “Now. okay, now I’m done!” 

 

Hongbin spread his hand, crossing the counter and grabbed her arm, “Good, then let's go”.

 

Areum who was about to go to the back room stops and turns around, “But I need to change my clothe first…” 

 

Hongbin put his hand back, “Oh, right, sorry” And letting go of her.

 

 

 

 

 

“Sir, your order?” Inguk repeated.

 

“ehm, yeah,” Hongbin took out his wallet and grab some money, “here— hey Areum! Wait!” Then he saw Areum passing by, already changed into her daily clothes and walked out the coffeshop. “Wait! Wait for me!” so he found no other option but to chase her.

 

“But your order…” Inguk looked at the fresh latte on her hand, “Was that her friend? Why is he— owh.. yeah, right..” He chuckled, “Chill, dude, I won't touch her”

 

 


“Why weren't you waiting for me??” Hongbin finally got too caught up with her, “Were you avoiding me?”

 

“Eh? No! Of course not!” Areum stopped walking, since they already arrive at the bus stop, “You just walk to slow”

 

“Don't lie to me,” He was running, so he needed to catch on his breath first, “Huft… Huft… I know that you can't lie”

 

“I know, that's why I’m telling you the truth” areum gave him a bottle of water, “Come on, I can already see the bus coming”.

 

“No, we’re not going to take that bus” Hongbin took a sip from the bottle, then hold on to Areum’s hand, not letting her get into the bus that has just arrived, “We’ll take the next one” he pointed at another bus that approaches.

 

Areum pulled her hand away,  “But this is the only bus to get home with”.

 

“And we’re not going straight to home” The bus left, and another one arrived. Again, he grabbed her hand. But this time Hongbin held on to it tightly, took her with him onto the bus.

 

 


 

There was no seat available, and so both of them had to stand. “Was that the handsome sunbae?” Hongbin tried to make an eye contact and started a conversation with Areum who have been staring at the window for a long time.

 

“han— handsome sunbae?” Areum shook her head, “Is that what ken told you? well, yes, He's Seo In guk sunbaenim.... Wait, I should've introduced you guys earlier!”

 

“No you don't have to, I don't really want to be introduced anyway” He sighed, “And the text message, was it from him?”

 

“Nope, And like, the guy has still not replying,” Areum look at her phone, “If he or she really want to talk to me then at least he or she should reply, right? So he or she probably has probably changed his or her minds...  Wait!! Anyway, it's me who supposed to ask, where are we going??” It was almost nine pm, and she started to worry. “Kyunggi! I have Kyunggi to take care of!”

 

“I know, that's why there’s Leo Hyung” Hongbin showed her a prove of Leo and Kyunggi taking a selfie, “You don't have to worry”

 

“No, this is actually why I have to worry, what if Kyunggi forgetting me and… and— oh no! What if he thinks of Leo as his father?!” She gasped, 

 

Hongbin smiled at how Areum plays with her expression, It was ‘cute’, he told himself. “I’ll make sure that won't happen”

 

“How?”

 

A good point, from Areum.

 

“Well…” Hongbin searched for an escape route, a reliable answer, “You’ll see!”

 


 

 

Even after both of them got out of the bus and walk on the streets, Hongbin still haven't told Areum just where are they heading. He kept her behind, leading her as he separated themselves from the crowd that heading to the district. “Ah, this place….” Areum looked around and she can find herself in a familiar neighborhood.

 

Hongbin stopped, “You’ve been here before??”

 

“Oh, you don't know? Haven't I told you?” And so did Areum, “Not long after you moved to Seoul, I moved here too, and lived here for a year, and then go back to Busan again…” 

 

“Really?? Why??” At that point, he knew that there were still lots of things that he don't know about her, “Why did you move?” but he planned to find it out.

 

“Why not…?” she started to walk again, “I think I know where we’re heading”, and then it was her turn to lead the way.

 

 

 


 

“Right, how do you know?” At first it was Hongbin’s plan to surprise her, but Areum the table as she showed him the way to get to the place, to get to a court.

 

“How can I not know?” Areum was already in the middle and dribbled the basketball, “seriously going back in time?” 

 

Hongbin put his bag down, rolled his sleeves and joined her, “Not really, there weren't a lot went on back then”

 

It's been awhile since the last time she got to play with one of her hobbies, and so Areum was just starting to remember what it feels like to play a game. “Yeah, there weren’t,”

 


 

 

 

Three years ago.

 

 

“Are you planning to join the team with that?” She was just passing by the gym, but then a boy caught her attention, “You’re lame”

 

The boy only stole a glance at her, “And who are you?” and got back to the game.

 

“I’m not as popular as you, but at least you should know the captain of the girls basketball team” She sneered, “Lee Areum, from class 2-D”

 

He passed the ball at her, “You’re the captain?”

 

“Should I prove it to you?” Areum slammed the ball to the floor, making a statement. She has all her flashy movements with her, passing the boy in a split of seconds and leave him in startled as she made a lay up to the ring. 

 

“I’m Dong Hongbin, class 2-A” He tried to keep up, defending his pride, “You’re good”

 

“And that's why I’m the captain” Areum tossed the ball at Hongbin, “Seriously, does being popular and smart makes you oblivious to others existence?” 

 

“I’m none of them, but there are plenty of people in this school, it's hard to memorize each of them” Hongbin try to show what he got to her,

 

“Yeah, its pointless” In a glimpse, Areum has already taken the ball away from him. “And you won't get into the team with that”

 

Hongbin gave up on keeping up with her, and chooses to sit on the floor, “I know” not even give a damn about his pride. He’s just tired from practicing alone for more than four hours, “Why are you still here? It's almost eight”

 

“Oh, I happened to be a stupid student, so, There are more papers awaits for me, ” she kept on playing, “Now watch me, the steps are very important. You have to synch your timing on your shoot with your jump” and shot for a three pointer. “See, now try, ” he passed the ball to Hongbin.

 

He got up, collecting his energy, or at least what's left on him, and tried to follow her exact orders. “Like that?” And surprisingly, it works. He shot his first three points of the day.

 

Areum clapped her hands, “Daebak…..” and grab the ball again. “You’re a fast learner… thats… that's a start”

 

“I guess there's a reason why I am putted on the class A” Hongbin showed off a little bit.

 

“Sigh, whatever” Areum try to show another move in more details, “Now try that”

 

Like before, Hongbin managed to keep up. 

 

“You’re not bad, actually, you just need the right teacher”. She grabbed her bag, grab her towel and wiped her sweat away, “But unfortunately there's no good this teacher in this school”

 

“Yes there is,” Hongbin threw her a bottle of water, “You”

 

Areum was about to leave the gym, but then again, this boy caught her attention, “Me?”

 

“Teach me,” said hongbin, “I— I really, really want to get to the basketball team. Just teach me until I got in, please?”

 

Areum shook her head, “No”. She put her hands or her waist, and sighed. “Look, I appreciate your effort, but no. I don't have time for that, I’m struggling with my grades, okay?”

 

“Then I’ll help you with your grades, how about that?”. He’s not giving up.

 

It sounds like a nice deal, but for some reason, “No thanks” Areum chose to refuse the offer. “Just keep on practicing, if you’re lucky enough, you’ll get there” This time she really walked away from the gym, leaving hongbin alone.

 

 

He was about to continue practicing, until he realized something. “Hey! It's already late, Should I walk you home“ But when he tried to look for her, she’s already long gone, “Home”.

 

 

 


 

 

 

An hour has passed since Areum and Hongbin decided to play one on one. “Have you always been this tough???” Hongbin couldn't believe that Areum was still able to stay flashy for 60 minutes.

 

“Oh, so I was underestimated??” Areum hissed, “I’m always tough”

 

“But you can't use a high heel,” He held on to the ball, pausing the game. “And you cry when you lose the scarf and stained the heels—“

 

“That's because it was expensive!!”Areum jumped and tried to snatch the ball, “Seriously??”

 

“Thats it? Just because it was expensive?” Hongbin who’s taller than her have the advantage to set on the pace, “You know that money doesn't matter to them, right?”

 

Areum giving up on the ball, “I know, but I just… I just feel bad, I feel horrible…”

 

“So when you feel bad you cry?”

 

Hongbin was loose for a second there, thus Areum got to snatch the ball away. “Yeah, so?? Do you have a problem with it?? Isn't that like normal?”.

 

“Depends, when I feel bad, I don't really cry” Hongbin let Areum plays the ball alone. “You know what, There are still a lot of things that I don't know about you”

 

“well Of course, me too” She was sure enjoying herself, not even looking at hongbin while she was talking.

 

Hongbin hold on to his happiness, “So are you planning to know more about me?”as he tried not to smile, not to be obvious.

 

she threw the ball away, “Not really”. She looked for a towel on her bag, sees like she’s already  lost her energy to continue playing. “I’ll just do whatever I want”

 

There was an empty bench to sit in and Hongbin settled there. Leaning on the back, he was more than happy to see where he is now. In a court, in the middle of the night, alone with her, just like the first time they met. 

 

 


Three years ago.

 

 

“I thought you were busy?” Hongbin passed the ball on Areum who just stepped into the court.

 

“I’m getting smarter, I got to finish school at seven!” She accepted the ball, and the challenge, “Let's check on your progress” like some days ago, she got to show more of her skill to him.

 

And like a some days ago too, Hongbin was struggling with keeping up. “Wait, how to block you out?”

 

 

They were facing each other, with areum to be the person who held on to the ball. “Don't look at the ball, it will distract you, try to look at my eyes, and if you—“ Right after she found his eyes sticking to her, “If you’re lucky you can snatch the ball away, good job” in a second, Hongbin got to take the ball away from her. “You’re getting better and better”

 

“Don't worry, I’ll always be here, in case you’re bored”  He made a shot, “Now I can be your playmate, right?” and it was flawless.

 

Before the ball got to touch the ground, Areum already got it on her hand, “Naah, you still nowhere near my good enough”

 

And she was right. The next points had all belonged to her. 

 

 

 

 

Not long after that, both of them decided to stop the game and rest for a little. By instinct, Areum told him everything that she knows about basketball, and he’s more than happy to hear that.

 

“You should be fine if you just relax and play your best, ” She summed up, “The next time we play, let's wear our number”

 

“Sure!”

 

 


 

 

 

 

“Okay, I’m done, I don't think I can continue this ” Areum dropped herself on the ground, throw me some water, please” 

 

Instead of throwing it, Hongbin get it for her himself, “Here, you must be tired”

 

“You think? It's been years since the last time I play” She gulped all the water, “I’m must be a talent”

 

Hongbin watched over his friend taking her time to rest. Just laying on the ground, and watched over the night sky. There was no stars or anything, but looking up and found something that's bigger than a thought is always refreshing, “I always thought that you’re going to be an athlete” And so he too, joining Areum on laying down and refreshing the minds.

 

“No, Basketball its just a hobby, nothing serious, only talent” She bluffed.

 

“But you’re good, you should’ve play more” Hongbin shifted his eyes to the right eying at the girl, “And you should play more often too, you look happy”

 

“Don't tell me you forgot that I have a baby brother to raise…” 

 

“Is that why you stop playing?” He got up, “Is that why you changed?”

 

“Changed?” and so did she.

 

“If you ever notice yourself, you’re pretty much the same but also different…” as usual, Hongbin tried to catch her eyes.

 

“That's because people grow” Areum tilted her head, finding another angle to look for “And it's not like we know each other so well back then, so how can you say that?”

 

It was a good point she made. 

 

“ true… Like I said before, there weren't a lot happened back then,” Hongbin got up and dust off, “And also we’re here not to look back, cause there's nothing there” He offered his hand, “I brought you here to start something new”.

 

“Are we reenacting a movie scene or??” Areum still choose to sit and ignoring the hand. She looked at her phone and just realize how late it is, “Cause if so then its already late”

 

“Oh, is it twelve already?” Hongbin checked on his phone too, “Ah, time flies, wait, let me make a wish first”

 

“Make a wish???” Areum stood up and stopping Hongbin from excusing himself, “What— what wish??”

 

He gave his phone to her, then move away. Standing on the other side of the court and looking up. Closing his eyes, and mumbling into something. 

 

00:01 September 29.

 

“Dong Hongbin,” Areum came at him and stand next to him, looking up and gazed at what her eyes can only see, “Happy birthday”

 

 

 

He turned his eyes on her, “Well, that was fast”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I just had my wish come true”

 

 

 


 

 

even on their way back home, “AAh!!! I‘m such a bad friend!!! How can I forget your birthday!!” Areum still cursed at herself.

 

“No, more like how can you not know” And had his time on being mean and enjoying it.“Don't talk too loud, I bet the other has already asleep” He took out the key and try to silently unlocking the door.

 

“Hmm, what do you want?” Areum put her hand ahead, stopping Hongbin from opening the door, “what do you want for your birthday??”

 

“Nothing,” He held on to the hand, “I already got what I want” and together, they open the door,

 

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

 

Everyone was there, Hakyeon, Leo, Ravi, Ken, Hyuk and even Kyunggi. Lined up with presents and cake. “Hongbeanieee! Happy birthday!!!” Hakyeon was the first one to give him a hug. “Happy birthday brother! happy happy! Happy!” And tried to strike the cheek.

 

Since it was his birthday, he just let his brother do whatever he wants. “Yes, thank you, thank you”. With Hakyeon tangled around his body, Hongbin walked in and rest himself on the couch, “Thank you guys” 

 

Everyone gathered around and let the birthday boy to blow out the candles. “What was your wish??” Ken pushed himself in, “A new phone? A new laptop? A new clothe??”

 

“Let me guess, you haven't bought me the present?” Hongbin could clearly read his mind.

 

“No— I— I already bought it, You’ll see it later!” Ken went back to the line.

 

“Here,” Leo and Hyuk hands the gift. 

 

A little box, that look expensive as if it have diamonds on it, “WOAAAAH!! GUYS! YOU DON'T HAVE TOO—” because of what was inside, Hongbin almost jumped as he He found a key “chain…. A Ferrari key chain?”. When he realized that its just the accessories of what his imagination was hoping about, he lowered his tone.

 

“The keychain itself worth more than your shoes” Hyuk mumbled, “And anyway its a wish for you to get rich and buy the actual pair”

 

“Oh, that was thoughtful, thanks guy!” Hongbin put it back on the box, and moved on to the next present, “Let me guess, it must be from you, right hyung?” 

 

Hakyeon nodded in excitedly, “Yes! Yes! Come on! Open it!” and he couldn't help himself but to unwrap it himself, “Ta-da!!”

 

“Woa, thanks Hyung…” He rubbed his eyes, “Are you serious?” before put on the present. It was a shoe, a one expensive shoes which he never thought that Hakyeon would be generous enough to buy him that.

 

“Of course, this is my hope that you can drive the car with this shoe, a.k.a go get a driving license” He patted on his brother’s shoulder, “And it looks good on your feet!”

 

“Here,” Ravi stepped forward and handed his present, “Happy birthday”

 

It was a shirt, a white shirt that doesn't look cheap either. “Thank you!”

 

“You’re welcome” Ravi got back to the line, “How about you, where you present?” He looked at Areum who has been silent for awhile.

 

“Ehm… is it a must…?” She tried to dodged, “Well, actually—“

 

“She already gave it to me”. Dong Hongbin come to the rescue.

 

 

 

 

“EH?!? What did she give to you?!?” Everyone started to make a fuss, “Hey! Areum, Are you alright!?”

 

Areum nodded at the question. As She was confused, why are they looking so worried?.

 

“ its a secret,” Hongbin smirked and teased his friends as he started to cut on the cake, “Anyway, who wants the first piece??” 

 

“Me!! Me!!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A mini karaoke party, since Kyunggi was fully awake. They gathered around the living room, set on the playlist and start to show off their amazing singing skill. And also since Kyunggi was fully awake, they agreed to keep the party sober and legal.

 

Areum entrusted herself with the food, as she went to the kitchen and make a little dish to make everyone happy. She thought that it is the only thing she could do to make Hongbin’s birthday more meaningful. 

 

“Seriously, what did you give to him?” Ravi joined her on the counter, “I’m curious”

 

“That's the thing, I don't really know” Areum still tried to recall, “I didn't do anything besides playing basketball with him.. Oh, maybe he just really-really wanted to play basketball? Right?”

 

“Probably?” Ravi asked back, “anyway—“

 

 

 

 

“What are you doing here????”

And seemed like they have an additional guest.

 

 

“Ah! You! You come!”

 

 

 

 

 

The living room start to become crowded, Ravi and Areum both go straight up there, and found another,

 

“Surprise!”. A one figure that starting to become familiar appeared. “Hey! Areum, is this your son??” She held on to Kyunggi and cuddle with him. “Who’s the father?”

 

“No— Eunju, He’s my brother—“

 

“What are you doing here?” Ravi made his  steps forward, “It's late”

 

The guest put down the baby and reached her hand for her other baby, “Celebrating this man’s birthday” He gave Hongbin a warm hug, “Am I not allowed to?”

 

Hongbin tried to carefully make her, she moved away, but then “No, Enjoy,” something stopping him from it, as he saw Areum didn’t seem bothered with it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Since actually they all know each other, it was not really awkward to have Eunju Around. Well, except for Hongbin. For a reason he felt like he want to go back to couple hours ago where he just sit around with the person that he loves on an empty court, instead being ‘trapped’ with a must. A must to be a birthday boy and  A must to look out for Eunju, since she’s still everyones friend.

 

 

 

While everyone were having some fun time around, Areum went back to the kitchen, continue her little cooking event. “Eh, what are you doing here?” And before she started to continue anything, she found Ravi desperately leaning on the fridge, with a can of beer. “I thought we agreed to not having al—“

 

“Please, let me finish this one first” He sat on the floor, “I— I need a time, please”

 

There was something that's bothering him, and she felt like she wanted to help to be his ear, “What's wrong?” As she sat down with him.

 

“No, there's nothing wrong”

 

“No, you’re lying” Areum put the can away, “You’re too dim for a party, thats—“

 

“You know what is wrong?” He sighed, as he turned his face on the room with people having some fun around, “To love someone who loves someone else so much, as much as you love her” but still kept an eye for only a person.

 

“Eunju?” It doesn't take much for Areum to understand, “You like her don’t, you?”

 

“Like?” He chuckled, “I think it' its more than like when you pretend to not be hurt when you know that you’ll only be the cameo of the story, for the rest of your life”