none of your business

The Sensible Ones

While looking at the window, Hongbin kept flipping his phone and knock it onto his lap. 

 

Why is she not replying?

 

It has been two hours since the train made its way back to seoul, and he still got another two hours of being Hakyeon’s personal pillow.

 

should I call her? but why would I—

 

“You’re thinking about her, don't you?” Hakyeon mumbled, While his face was still on his brother’s shoulder. “So obvious—“

 

Hongbin shoved him away, “Mind your own business”.

 

Hakyeon fully opened his eyes and looked around, “So quiet….” and could only find two other passengers who sat far behind them. “Hongbin, I’m hungry, get me something to eat”

 

“No, Hyung you have legs and mine”

 

“You too” Hakyeon grinned, “Just please get me a snickers or I’ll toss my chores to you—“

 

“Fine,” Hongbin got up, and made his way to the vending machine.

 

 

 

 

 

Hakyeon reclined, and wanted to enjoy his next nap. “Hongbin and his pride is like the worst combination ever” but then the thought of his brother kept waking him up, “But what can I say, he’s on his own—”

 

 

The phone in his pocket ran and it made him reach for it in a matter of seconds. 

 

Eh? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“It took me ten minutes for a bar of this, you owe me a lunch Hyung!” Hongbin went back to his seat, and threw the chocolate bar to his brother, “Okay, now I’m going back to sleep—“

 

“Hongbin, do you still remember about what i said to you back when we were in Jeju?” He didn't straightly unwrapped the chocolate, and just stared at while muttering.

 

“You said a lot of things”

 

“About i wont give you any help,”

 

Hongbin crossed his arm, rest his head, and looked away to the window. “Can we not talk about it? Hyung, leave me alone”

 

“Oh I will, that's why I’m going to tell you this,” Hakyeon turned to the side where he couldn't meet with Hongbin’s figure. “I am going to leave you alone, you’re on your own”

 

“Good”. As he felt like the awkward conversation has finally ended, Hongbin grab his iPod and put on an earphone. 

 

Hakyeon turned his face for a little to steal a glance at his brother, “But sorry, I won't be neutral either”.

 

 


 

 

 

“wow.. They actually slept on the couch…” After she finished showering and dressed for work, Areum finally unlocked the door and left the room. “I feel horrible, I admit, I was a brat” She shook her head, and went to the kitchen.

Like any other day It was her instinct to wake up early and went straight to the kitchen for a bottle of milk. But then, when she got the empty bottle in her hand, she realized something. “But where’s my brother?”.


Areum went back to the living room, and found no trace of her brother, “Ehm? Ah! He must be with Leo— but where’s Leo??”. Circling around the rather small house, the 183cm Jung Leo was never on her sight. “Argh! what did he do to my brother—“

A door opened, Hakyeon’s door was opened. And Taekwoon was standing in front of it, with his hair all messy, signing that he just woke up due the sounds that she made. “I’ll make him the milk” He muttered, and went to the kitchen.

From the living room, Areum just stood still and watched her friend making the baby formula. Carefully, she paid attention to the amount of spoon he put, and the water that he pour. How many shook it take to mix the powder and the water, and lastly, “Okay, it's warm enough” She made sure of the temperature.

He didn't say a word, and just took the bottle from her, as went back to the bedroom.


And he didn't close the door either, so from the living room, Areum could watch his brother having some comfortable pats from his favorite hyung. “Dont pat him too much! he might puke!” 

Leo just sighed and turned around. “Do I look like someone who makes a baby puke?”

Areum blinked her eyes, and shook her head. 

“Then you can go back to sleep, it's still early” He held his mouth to not yawned, and shifted his eyes back to the baby. 

But instead of walking away, Areum chose to enter the room, and went to the bed. Sitting there next to his brother. “I took shower already, I can't sleep” She laid on the bed, and place her hand on Kyunggi’s head, gently his hair. “Kyunggi-ya… Noona is sorry for not spending a lot of time with you lately…” She pouted, and accidentally made the other guy blush. “After tomorrow, let's go somewhere, okay?”.

“You don't have your Sunday shift?” Instead of the sleeping baby, It was Leo who answered the question.

“I do, but I asked for In-guk sunbaenim help” 

a sunbae?

“Dont you ask for too much, lately?”

Areum stopped caressing her brother and looked at Leo who was only a few inches away from her. “I do, actually” She gulped. “I’m sorry…”

“Instead of you locking yourself in, it was more like you're unlocking me out from my room. Don't you think I deserve some kind of explanation?” Calmly, Leo gave her the question that made him unable to sleep for the night.

“Everyone does,” Areum changed position as she sat on the edge of the bed. “But, I think I want to be selfish again and choose to not give you guys the right explanation”. Calmly stood up, she excuses herself and went straight to the kitchen.

 

 

 

 


“We're not done talking,” Leo sat on one of the dining chairs while his eyes were set into the small figure in the kitchen, “Not when you’re cooking with tears” He got up, and stood behind her. 

The contrary of her usual cry, She was crying mutely, with no sound at all. Everyone knew that Areum was a cry baby, she can cry at anything funny or anything not funny, and people are used to it.   But the way her tears dripping to the counter as she cook, it made his heart ache in questions. 

“I’m on my period, hormones” 

“Don't lie to me, I cleaned the trash last week and I found those things,“ 

Leo slapped his face, 
Did I just—

“Ahahahaahahahahahhahaahahaha” Areum put down the knife, and held her stomach, “Ahahahaahahahahahahah Leo!! ahahahahaah” 

This is exactly why being mute suits me more.

Areum turned around, and face him “Oh my god! I can't believe that you said it,” She kept chuckling on the red face of Leo, “Damn it, I guess we should switch Schedule—“

“Can I continue?” While holding his face muscle to be tensed and tried to look serious.

She turned back to the counter, and continue to cut some meat. “Make it fast, I only have 15 minutes to finish this and then i need to leave for work”

“Why were you crying?” like always, he was straight to the point.

“Me crying or not is none of your business” Areum answered in the most relax way she could, “Can you get me some pepper?”

“Why won't you tell me?” Leo handed her the pepper, and continued to ask.

“Because again, it's none of your business” She gave him a thumb, “Oh, and a soy sauce! On the left drawer, can you get it for me?”

Leo handed her the bottle, “why—“

“Leo, like your thoughts, I also have things that I don't want to share” Before, he got to ask more questions, Areum managed to cut him off. “Can you guys just leave me alone and hate me for being a selfish human I am?” unlike before, Areum did raise her voice, almost scolding.

But I’m glad that you’re able to be selfish, I’m glad that you still see yourself as a normal person.

“Gosh, I am so rude, okay, I’m sorry, Leo, I really am—” She was ready for anything, anything but her hands being held, “Leo?”

“I’m sorry that I asked you too many questions,” He sighed on her nape, “But have you ever seen me talking this much?”

“No”. 

 

And that's because it kills me to stay silent when you're like this.

 

And before Leo could lay his head on her shoulder, Areum slid her way to the side as she moved to the stove, “Leo, are you sick?” But nevertheless, Leo insisted to make her feel the warmth of his body as he placed his forehead on her neck, “You are, okay let me get you a—“

“I’m not good at talking but I’m pretty sure that I’m a good listener,” He mumbled, “Just talk to me and I won't say a word, if that's what you want”

She couldn't hide the smile that spread across her face, “Okay, first of all, get your heavy head out of my neck,” and she was glad that he couldn't see her face for that. 

 

Doing what she said, Leo took a step back, while having his right hand covered her blushes when Areum finally got too turned around and gazed at him.

“And second of all, I will” 

 

 

 


 

 

“Five more minutes— AREUM?!” Ken threw away his blanket and got up from the couch, “Ya! Are you okay?!?!”

“Now move your to the table and eat, I’ve cooked you guys some nice breakfast as a symbol of how sorry I am for being a selfish human being and—“

“I’m glad that you look better” Ken pat her head, “But you better do my next week chores if you want my forgiveness”

“Fine— wait where’s your brother?”. Areum sure that earlier, she saw Hyuk somewhere stranded on the floor with a pillow and a mattress, but then, there's only the mattress and the pillow.

“Hmm? I don't know it's Friday—“

 

“Hyung!” A voice called for him from the bathroom, “can you ask Eunju Noona to get my uniform?” and it was hyuk peeking through the door.

Ken got up from the couch, and walked to the door, “you want me to call Eunju?”

“Cause my uniform is on my wardrobe…” Hyuk lowered his voice, “I didn't get it cause.. You know… noona is..”

 

“Here! Hi, Hyuk! Good morning!” In a flash, Areum gave him a set of his Friday uniform, “Now put those things on and join us at the table!”. Hyuk just blankly nodded at her before he closed and locked the door.

 

 

 

“Woah, you’re back to normal,” Eunju came out of her room and sat on the chair next to ravi, “Do you always cook this much?”

“No, only because I was a total brat last night” Areum serve the last food on the table, and wiped her hands, “And Leo help me too, so, yeah”

Eunju nodded, “Leo, huh?” and grabbed the first plate. “Ravi, pass me the shrimp”

But before Ravi got to grab it for her, another hand has snatched the plate already. “Sorry, I’m hungry” and that hand belong to Park Jaehwan.

It was like a war invitation to her and eunju could only roll her eyes. 

“Are you guys still fighting—“

“Ravi, she slapped me!” Ken almost hit the table,

“After he said something that's untrue about me!” and then  Eunju did hit the table. 

Ravi raised her hands, “you know what, you two better be shaking hands or something cause I have hakyeon hyung’s number on my speed dial—“

“Kang Eunju I am sorry for saying such a mean word to you, it was my fault I deserve it,” as if he was blowned by the wind, Ken moved from his chair and went to Eunju’s, “You can slap me again but on the left”.

“Are you perhaps.. Afraid of Hakyeon..?” Eunju furrowed her brows.

“Just slap me already and get done with it!!!”. Eunju swing her hand and land it on his cheek. “Ouch!!”

“Well okay, we’re cool”

 

 

 

 


“Ah Hyuk! please eat your breakfast!” Areum bumped into Hyuk who just came out of the shower, “And yes, you can enter the room already, but asking ‘are you okay’ or ‘what happened last night’ is strictly prohibited, thank you for your understating” She pat his head, and pushed him to the kitchen.

“But I don't want to eat breakfast” Hyuk stood still and stopped her from pushing him more further.

Areum moved from his back to confronting him in front, “But you still can't ask me those two questions”

Hyuk puffed an air, “I want,” as he let his lips twitched, “I have test and exams so I need to go now”

“Oh wait! wait! Let me pack you some lunch! Wait here!” Areum ran to the kitchen to grab a lunchbox and made a Bento. 

“No, no, you don't have to!” Hyuk followed her from behind, “there's a cafeteria and—“

“But what if you don't have the time to go to the cafeteria?” Areum finished the pack, and gave it to Hyuk, “And besides, my food tastes better than them, right?”

Well, actually, its 10 times better. “Ah, thank you, I guess?” Hyuk muttered.

“Okay, no wait for me to say goodbye to my brother first and let's walk together to the bus stop!” 

 

 

 

 

Leo has just finished showering when he found Areum on the room with her brother on her arm, “Very early shift?”

“Yup,” Areum pecked the sleeping Kyunggi and handed him to Leo, “Please take car with him! See you later!” and ran out of the room.

Weird. Did she just willingly give her brother to me?

 

 

 

 

 

 


“Hyuk! Let's go!!” Areum got her backpack with her, and reach for the boy’s arm, “See you later! Bye guys!” and dragged him out with her.

 

 

The three faces on the table were actually never left their eyes on them. 

“Ken aren't you supposed to walk her out instead of your brother?” Eunju scoffed.

“I thought we’re cool already” Ken hissed, “And besides, I learnt enough about her, chill”

Eunju got up from her seat, “Enough to know why she’s like this?” and went to the kitchen to wash her plate. 

 

 


 

Unlike any other morning, the bus stop was quiet, and rather empty since the two of them were the only people who waited for the buses. Areum and Hyuk had different route, but still they waited for each other to got onto the bus.

“Hoaaam,” Hyuk yawned and leaned on the bench, “What time is it? Still seven?”

“Yup, not even seven….” Areum tried to look for her phone in her pocket, but then, “Wait, I don't have it… damn it…”

“What?”

“My phone, I don't have my phone” She hissed. “Argh, I need to buy a new one…”

hmm, is she an iPhone person or a samsung person?. 

“Hyuk, how’s your school going?” With a mutter, She woke him up, “Doing well?”

“Yeah, well, today is the exam, so… wish me luck” He wanted to look at her, but it was like someone was telling him to not to.

Areum gulped, “Good luck,” and let out her subtlest voice, “Don't screw up”.


Before he got to reply, The first bus came and it was meant for him. Hyuk then got up, and went inside the vehicle. “Oh, wait,” before the door closed, he forgot to say one last thing, “Noona—“

He wanted to wave her a goodbye, but then, “noona?? are you okay??” he saw her crying. 


Areum looked up as she heard her friend calling from the bus. 

“Noona—“ But before he got off the bus, the door was closed in front of his face, and the bus has moved.

 


She blinked for a couple times, “Why it does it reminds me of a drama scene…” before she rest her head and waited for her bus. 

Well, I guess you just need some drama in life….

 


“Noona!!”.

Areum jerked out, and looked around. “You?!” And saw Hyuk running towards her. okay, now it really is a drama scene…

Hyuk rested his hand on his knees and breathed in, “Ya…. noona…” While panting, he made sure himself to talk, “Why were you crying??”

She shook her head, and brushed her face, “You know you better call for a taxi and go straight to school—“

“I will,” Hyuk bit his lips in disbelievement, “But after you tell me why you were crying”.

Areum dropped herself onto the bench and rolled her eyes, “Seriously, what is wrong with you people, can I just cry without being questioned? Leave me alone” crossing her arms and refused to show her face.

He took a few steps forward and sat next to her. “How can you leave someone alone when they’re crying?” Hyuk sighed, “How can I leave you alone when you’re crying about something that's not related to a movie or cute stuffs?”

“Yes you can, cause its normal, there's this thing called mood swings and I’m having one of those—“

“I dont buy it,” Hyuk shook his head and let out another sigh, “You’re a terrible liar, you cant even fake your tears, let alone your problem—“

“You know what, it's none of your business” Areum shoved him away and made him fall from the bench.

“It is!” even after he hit the ground, Hyuk still wanted to talk through it, “Arent we friends or what?”

Areum left opened as she realized that, again, “I’m sorry I was rude, very rude to you, I really am—“

“I don't mind cause I understand that you’re having a situation right now, but what I don't understand is why you don't want to tell a single soul about it?” Hyuk couldn’t help but to hold her hands, and breathed in, “Don't you trust me? Or at least someone in the house?”

She wanted her hand back, but with Hyuk holding onto it tightly, she could only let their finger jointed in time. “I would leave the house since long time ago if I don't trust you guys, so to clear it out, it's not about that”

“Then what is about?”

“Its— ah, never mind. You can hate me all you want, I'll start packing up right after I end my shift”

 

 

“Noona,” Hyuk let go of her hands, and moved closer to her, making their knees touched as he let out a mutter, “Do you really want to leave the house just so you can keep it on your own?”.

“Actually, I do” 

“Then I’m sorry,” Hyuk tilted his head to the side and rest it on her shoulder, “I’m sorry for making you having the thought leaving the house”.

“Hyuk—“

“But I really don't like to see noona like this, I just wanted to help” He lifted his head up, and then looked down to hide his blushing cheek.

“I know,” As if it was her nature, she ruffled his hair, “But hyukkie, you can't help me if I don't even want the help”

“Why?”

“I think i’ve told you earlier but.. Well… okay, I don't want it because it's none of your business”

“You sounds a lot like dad….” 

“And you sounds like you’re going to be late for school” Areum coughed. 

oh !. Hyuk got up, and looked at his phone, “Ah! well, Noona, I—“

“yes Kid, you better go now”. 

 


Hulk, who has just started to run, froze up the moment he heard that word. Kid. 

“Hey, Hyuk, you only have—“

“Noona am I really a kid in you?” His voice was firm, and rather sharp. “I’m just asking” She was dumbfounded by the question, and could only keep shut. “Noona you better answer that question or you’ll fail my exam”

Areum wanted to release the tension,  “That doesn't even make sense—“ but when she saw Hyuk being more than serious, “Well, you’re not really a kid…” she knew that she just have to say it. “You’re more like… my dongsaeng?” 

I still have a long way to go….

“Now Hyuk you better do what I said before, don't screw up!” Areum waved her hands and sent him a smile, “Fighting!”

“I won’t,” Hyuk felt energized as he walked backward so that he could still see her face while he moved closer to his school, “I even have this feeling of placing the first… wait, noona, Can this kid ask for a reward?”

“A reward?” 

Hyuk made his last stop before he really turned around and ran his off to school. “If I get to score higher than ken Hyung, go out with me”

“huh?”