curiosity

The Sensible Ones

 

 

 

“Dear common people, please enjoy your business class seats” Ken acted as if he’s the steward. 

“It might be only a one hour flight, but this an opportunity to comfort your neck”

 

For that particular flight, the cabin looked like it is owned by the Park. There was only two other passengers who sat six rows away from them. to look at it as it is, who wanted to pay 600000 won for a one hour flights? Times seven, the Park can pay for months of the house electricity.

 

“There’s seven of us, so who’s going to sit alone?” Hakyeon looked at the ticket.

 

“Me! me!”, Areum raise her hand and exclaimed. 

 

Everyone set their eyes on her.

 

“Owh, okay…” Hakyeon gave her the ticket,

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yes,” she  tiptoed, tried to reach for Hakyeon’s ear.

“There’s not much of people here, so maybe Kyunggi can sit next to me!” She whispered.

 

“Okay, Areum you’re going to sit alone,”

Hakyeon nodded, as it made sense to him.

“and lets do a rock paper scissor, to decided our life for the next one hour” He moved to the other five guys.

 

 

 

“Rock Paper scissor!!”

 

-Ken: Rock

-Leo: Scissor

-Hongbin: paper

-Ravi: rock

-Hyuk: Scissor

-Hakyeon: paper

 

 

 

“Hyung, do you want to sit next to the window or?” Hyuk nudged on Leo, who have always been silent since he had his earphone on.

 

“Up to you, ” he nodded.

 

Hyuk chose the seat next to the window, a row in front of Areum. Leo followed him with filling the empty seat next to him.

 

 

 

Meanwhile Ravi and ken has been exchanging glares for quiet a moment.

“Rock paper scissor for the window seat?” Ravi squinted his eyes.

 

“Hell no,” Ken jumped to the empty seat in front of Hyuk, near the window.

he then stuck  his tongue out, “I payed for all of you guys” and bragged.

 

Well, that can't be denied. Ravi has no choice.

 

 

 

“Hongbeanie!” Hakyeon grabbed his brother to the last row.

“Dong’s quality time!!” He leaned on his brother.

 

“hmmh” Hongbin leaned his head on the window, taking off earlier than the others.

‘I need to level up my game here’. He thought himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“May I sit here?” 

A voice woke her up from her reverie. Areum turned her head to the cabin and found someone standing there, a guy, a very big guy who looked rather unfriendly.

 

“Oh, sure!”. Thank god she hasn't placed her brother on the empty seat

 

The guy quickly occupied his right, and reclined. The guy was big enough to take some space that belong to Areum. She took a glance of him, looking for a good moment to say ‘sorry’ and ask for more of her space.

 

But as soon as she stuck her eyes on him, he glared back with an additional not-so-charming  smile. The beards that cover half of his face make him look funny yet suspicious. after so long living with six devilishly handsome  young man,  it was the first time for Areum to be placed next to someone who is not so boy band aesthetic kind of looks.

 

For some reason, the guy kept on moving as he tried to find the ideal position. Unfortunately, his definition of the ideal position was to cross his arm to Areum’s seat.

 

If its the hand, she could try to bare with it. But It was the cologne that she worried about. She couldn't stand it, it was just too much. HAving her motherly insticnt awaken, She placed Kyunggi under her jacket, protecting him from the awful smell. 

 

‘Lee Areuum, he might be like that and tall hat, but Don't judge people based on their looks or how they used their cologne, or how they don't shave their beard, or how they giving a stranger a suspicious smile, or how they sit on the planes. What if he’s your future husband? You never know’ She tried to keep herself on a more positive energy.

 

 


 

 

 

“Ravi, why is everyone so quiet?” Ken realised that none of them has actually talked to each other after the plane took off.

 

“Maybe because this is not a school trip?” Ravi played with his phone.

“come on, even I can keep silence for an hour”

 

“But, The idea is that we’re supposed to have fun and all!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

CLICK

 

Ken just took a surprised selfie out of nowhere.

 

“Yah, I look so chubby there!” Ravi asked for a retake.

“Okay, this time Lets take a candid of Hyung an Hyuk too!” He raised the phone high enough to capture few rows behind them.

 

CLICK

 

“Hey! What are you guys doing??” Hyuk popped out and joins Ravi and his brother.

 

“Taking pictures,” Ravi muttered.

“Look, I’m so handsome, and Ken is slightly uglier than me—“

 

“No! It's the reverse!” Ken snatched back his phone.

“And look at you, hyukkie! you were spacing out, and Leo just—“. Ken zoomed in the photo.

“Well, that's weird…”

 

“What? What is weird?” Ravi and Hyuk were curious enough to cross their seat to Ken’s/.

 

“Areum should’ve sat alone, right?”

Ken showed the photo to them.

“But who is this guy?” 

 

Not just Leo and Hyuk, the picture also captured the last row behind, where Areum was only an inch away from being touched by the guy next to him. She looked she’s struggling there.

 

Hyuk took the phone, went back to sit and nudged on the sleeping hyung.

“Hyung, look” 

 

Leo who was just asleep a moment ago opened his eyes.

“What?”

 

Hyuk showed him the picture, meanwhile Ravi and Ken kept on watching the back rows. Leo zoomed in the picture, and finally get the picture. Without not much of a thinking, He got up from his seat, and goes to the back row.

 

He stood next to the guy that seems asleep, and Areum.

“Areum” Leo called her name.

“Come here” He told her to come out.

 

Areum immediately got up, and come at him.

“Yes?” She asked.

 

“I want to switch places” Leo quickly fill that empty seat.

“You go sit next to Hyuk” 

 

Areum was a bit surprised.

“Are you sure?” She asked again. well, apparently, its more like she was really surprised.

 

Leo just nodded and put on his earphone. Signalling that he’s definitely okay with it. 

 

 

 

 

She could finally feel sighed in a release, as she and Kyunggi switched places with Leo.

 

“Who is that guy?” Ravi lowered his voice.

 

“I don't know, he just sits there on the last minute before the plane takes off” Areum frowned. 

 

“Hmm, should I check on the security?” Ken wondered.

 

“No, it's okay. I don't think that he’s a bad guy. He just… stinks… and weird…” She stared at her brother who was still asleep. 

“Will Leo be okay?”

 

“No one dares to messing up with our Hyung” Ravi flicked his hand.

“As long as we don't talk about it after this, he will be alright” He turned around then goes back to his seat, and so did Ken.

 

 

 

 

 

Areum looked for something in her bag. As always, she was seem so troubled. 

and ofcourse, “Noona, Can I help you?” Hyuk noticed it.

 

“Nope! I found it!” Areum took out a mask from his bag.

“Hyuk do you have a pen?” 

 

“Oh, actually I do” He looked for it in his pocket, and gave it to Areum.

 

She gladly received it, and used it to write something on the mask.

 

“Thank you!” Areum returned the pen, and got up, turned around and look for leo,

“Leo!” She whispered, try to not wake the stranger next to him.

 

“What?”

 

“Here!” Areum gave the mask to him,

‘Thank you’ she mouthed before she went back to sit.

 

Just prtend that u caught a flu!

 

Taekwooon, 

u save my life ^^

 

It was probably because of her messy handwriting or the actual writing, it created a smile on Leo’s face. A bright and warm smile that followed by a fake cough, before he put on the mask.

“No,” He mumbled.

“Thank you”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Noona you look tired” It's been a minute for Hyuk to watch Areum  Struggling to not fall asleep. Kyunggi was awake so she have to kept up and play with him.

“Let me hold Kyunggi for you,” He reached his hand for Kyunggi to come at him.

 

“Ukkie~” Kyunggi gladly changed seats.

 

“Ukkie, hahaha” Areum chuckled,

“Yeah, I haven't slept that much. I was busy looking for—“ her words were cut by her owns yawn.

“Room to rent, but like, it's all so expensive, I’m so confused” She rested her head.

 

“Don’t be,” Hyuk looked at her.

“We don't really think about it, so, just… don't feel like you’re bout to be kicked out or something”

 

“Hahahahaha, I know, I know” She closed her eyes, and sighed.

“Is it selfish for me to enjoy every moment that I spend with you guys?”

 

“Yes,” Areum widened her eyes, listening to the word he just said.

“Cause me too,” Hyuk covered his blushing face with Kyunggi, as he started to make silly faces for him.

 

Areum nudged his shoulder.

“Sanghyuk! I thought you were going to say something like—“

 

“Do you really think I would?” He stuck his tongue, make a special ‘silly’ face for her.

 

“Sometime,” she sneered at him before putting on her earphone,

“I need a little sleep. Sorry if I snored,” Areum rested her head and aim for some quality sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyuk couldn't take his eyes off the sleeping noona as she unconsciously rested on his shoulder. The smell of her shampoo, he found it funny that it's the same as his. The slightly oily face of a girl who didn't put any make up, not even a powder on her face, Hyuk couldn't stop smiling and feeling an utter happiness that he couldnt describe. he was closer to her, never once he felt like that. an additional thought he saved, where he hopes that this won't be the closest.

 

 

“Sorry noona, but I cant help it” He took out his phone, and silently take a picture of her. 

“Stop being so cute, I don't want to rush anything” and took another picture, this time of course, he’s included in it.

 

 


 

 

 

 

“How can she’s still asleep even when the plane landing” Ravi and Ken got up, paying attention to the row behind them, before they left their seats.

“Hyuk is your shoulder okay? isn't that head quite big and heavy?” Ken added.

 

“Yeah, she’s no different than you, hyung” Hyuk acted like he’s against it.

 

“Oh my god, did she just drooled?” Ravi zoomed in.

“Hyuk! here! here!” He threw him a pack of tissue.

 

“Kids why are you so noisy? Let's get going!” Hakyeon finally appeared, all ready with his bag. Looking at the oldest hyung, Ken and Ravi immediately queuing behind him.

“Why is she still— wait, did she switch place with taekwoniee?” He looked at Leo who already leaves first. 

 

“Well there was—“

 

“Guys… move….” Hongbin pushed Ravi from the back. Making Ken and Hakyeon have no choice but to get going. 

 

“Fine, fine, Hyuk, try to wake that sleepy head” Hakyeon got going, catching up to Leo, and so does the people behind him.

 

“Noona, wake up” Hyuk poked her on the cheek. She moved her head, but still keep her eyes closed.

 

Hongbin who’s somehow dizzy, stopped walking. He noticed that Areum was still asleep. By reflect, He crouched and levelling his face to her, then puffed an air.

 

“Ah!” With that refreshing warm air, She finally woke up, and feeling a little bit lost, as she found both Hyuk and Hongbin stared at her.

“Where’s everyone?”

 

“Come on, we’re arrived” Hongbin stayed there, waiting for her to get up.

 

“Oh! Right! lets go!” Areum grabbed her bag, gets up, and take over Kyunggi from Hyuk.

“Ukkie! Let's go!!” She dragged Hyuk to get out of his seat too.

 

 

 

The four remaining passenger finally get to leave the plane, with each initial thoughts planned on them;

 

‘ukkie? is that his new nickname or something?’

‘ah, he’s a kid anyway’

 

‘Hyung, do you have to woke her up like that?’

‘well… at least she woke up’

 

‘J e j u. je ju. jeju!!’

 

‘kookie…’

 

 


 

 

 After 20 minutes of driving from the airport, they finally arrived in a suburban area, up in the hill. 

 

“Remind me again why are we here?” Areum was the first one to get out of the car.

 

“The park is going to their new store opening, and Leo also have something to do” Hakyeon stretched his back, “Basically, we’re here to give the chaebols a moral support”

 

they were staying at Leo’s villa, because the Park’s villa iwas on a renovation. The villa is big, a two floor building with a minimalistic design, with lots of window. There’s even a garden and a pond in front of it. 

 

 

 

“The password is 1990991, we don't use keys” Leo showed them the password to open the front door.

 

“Ah! we should tell dad to use this technology!” ken exclaimed, reaching for his brother’s shoulder.

“We shall not lose from the Jung!”

 

 

 

“Rich people competition is so absurd” Hongbin muttered, as he sat on one of the luggage.

 

“Its okay, we’re going to join them someday” Ravi nodded, and pat his friend’s back.

“Amin”

 

 

CLACK

 

 

“Woaaaaaah”

 

The interior was slightly more amazing than the exterior. a Modern design that maximalize the sunlight, with the touch of the nature, woods and bricks. The first room to be entered was the living room, where theres a huge sofa bed and a gigantic TV. There’s a gigantic book shelf next to it, and a stair that led to the second floor.  All of it are set next to a big window that face on the sea. It was a jaw dropping moment for those who only live in a small house somewhere in the south district of Seoul.

 

 

“There’s five bedroom but we can only use four. Theres two rooms on the first floor, and the rest are on the scone floor. Pick your own” Leo pressed some kind of button that made the windows open.

 

“Leo’s Jeju villa is better than us, but thats it” Ken jumped onto the sofa and turn on the TV. 

 

Areum put Kyunggi’s down and let him wandered around the house. 

 

“Oh, i’ve set a room for you and Kyunggi, here” Leo opened one of the bedroom next to the living room.

“I asked the helper to get some baby stuff, so now Kyunggi have his own spot in there”

 

Areum took a look on the room, and drop her bag.

“Ya….” She gulped.

“Theres even a toy box?? a toy story toy box?”

 

Compared to Ken, Leo was much more humanised. he doesn't run around the house with silk robes or cucumber masker, or uses his cards as if he breath the air. So to finally see just how capable he was, Its a little bit of a surprise for her.

 

“Guys, one day, we will definitely build something greater than this” Hakyeon looked at Ravi and Hongbin.

 

“Amin”

 


 

 

 

After Kyunggi fell asleep and they had a little rest, everyone gathered in the living room to have a mini meeting, sitting on the sofa to discuss their Jeju trip. 

 

“So the idea is that we have to enjoy Jeju as much as we want before Monday morning. We took the four am flight so, then Hyuk wont be late for school” Ken pat his brother.

 

“You’re so young and dedicated…” Areum mumbled,. “If I were you, I could just tell my teacher that My flight got delayed or something”

 

Hyuk tried to make him self busy with his phone, to hide the embarrassment and consciousness.

 

“Oh, how about your opening store event? When is it? Will you guys come alone or?” Ravi raise his hand.

 

Ken rested his head,

“It's tonight, around dinner time. Well, we hope that at least Areum can come with us—“

 

“W h y?” It was Areum, Hongbin, Hakyeon and Ravi speaking. Everyone has landed their eyes on the Park brothers.

 

“Cause—“ Ken tried to be careful with his words,

“Cause we kinda need her, right?” He nudged at Hyuk, looking for a back up.

 

Hyuk put his phone down, and looked at his sunbae’s.

“We don't want to push her or anything, so if noona doesn't want to go, then—“

 

“None of you have answered the question” Hakyeon squinted,

“why do you need ‘at least Areum—”

 

“Because dad wants to meet her!” The older Park raised his voice, grabbing everyone attentions within silence. Even his brother too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What?! That I didn’t know!” Hyuk didn't see that coming.

“I thought—“

 

“Yeah, I messed up! sorry! sorry! Just— never mind, we’re supposed to have fun anyway!” Ken slid away from them, sulking on the corner.

 

The object of conversation started to become more curious. Areum carefully looked around before raising her hand, asking for a moment to ask.

“Mr. Park have my respects, that is indubitable, but the question is,” She gulped.

“How did he know me?”

 

‘yes, how did your dad know areum?’ 

That thought were ran on everyone’s mind.

 

Ken got off from the couch, and walk around the living room. Tried to calm his self down and at the same time, searching for a good way to explain the situation.

 

 

“Hyung” Hyuk needed to give him a little push.

 

“Okay! Okay!” Ken stopped walking, as he choose to sit on the stair.

“So—“ He was still hesitating. But then when he looked at his friend’s eyes, he knew that he need to actually say something about it.

“Last week I met up with Dad, thus he asked both of us to attend the store opening. Then he told me that Soonbok-ssi’s house is almost finished, and I was so happy, so I told him ‘Well I need to told her this news!’, and then Dad asked, who is her. I was too happy, happy enough to not carefully choose my words, so I told him that you’ve been staying with us since that accident” He catch on a breath.

“And so he’s curious about you…” He looked away.

“Very, very curious” He frowned.

 

No one has the guts to speak their actual mind, where it mostly about just how ed up Ken is.