EPILOGUE PART 2

Wishes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue Part 2

 

After the pregnancy test incident, Yonghwa and Joohyun were so elated that they scheduled a doctor’s appointment the next day. They sat nervously at the waiting area not really knowing what to expect. No one in their family has had any baby and they wanted to make sure first that they are indeed pregnant. Yonghwa looked around to see other couples who are also waiting for their names to be called. Some wives tummy are as big as Yoonas, while some a bit smaller and the others same as Joohyun. He looked at Joohyun and found her having a staring contest with one of the pregnant couples baby. If he can guess correctly, the toddler maybe around 2 or 3 years old, the baby giggled while looking at Joohyun as she smiled widely back.

He interlaced their fingers and held her hand tight as he kissed her temple. They were best friends for so many years and lovers for years also add in another year as a married couple, most of the time, there were 0 expectations as they know each other like the back of their hands, from finishing each other’s sentence, from knowing what the other is thinking by just looking at the others' eyes but this is one phase of their lives they are completely alienated of. This side of both of them is all unchartered waters and this made both their hearts flutter. It’s not that their relationship is not exciting enough, because it is but the mere fact that having someone as proof of all those years of loving each other is a statement enough to the world that yes, love is indeed a many splendored thing and even more.

“I’m scared Yong” he heared her speak quietly after she played with the toddler.

He knows her fear, if someone tells them that they’ll be excited parents a week before, they might have laughed it off because it’s true that they are not really planning to have a child, but now that the baby is here, they wouldn’t want it any other way. If this is a false alarm, it will break Joohyun to her soul for sure.

“I’m sure it will be fine” giving her an assuring smile

“But what if the pregnancy tests are all defective?”

He looked at her with a slight pity in his eyes. Ever since they were young, Joohyun has always been the sure one, never wavering, never doubting, even when faced with a tough decision between life and death, she never falters but now, he could sense her panic.

“Hon, do you think all three are defective? If it is then we’ll sue the manufacturing company, no one hurts my wife with a measly white stick” humoring her

“That’s not what I mean” her eyes almost filled with tears

He just chuckled and rubbed her back

“I was just kidding, I know, that’s why we’re here, lets makes sure that we got our littler watermelon inside you and that he or she is healthy enough to withstand our crazy life”

“Seo Joohuyn” the nurse called in the waiting room

“Gaja!”

They stood frozen at the door of the doctors room not knowing what to do next. The doctor then chuckled looking at them.

“New parents I supposed?” she smiled while extending her hands “Dr. Lee”

The two took her hands and bowed politely

“Please sit down” motioning for the two to take a seat. They sat across the doctor while they look at each other. The doctor then knew she won’t get any information out of the young couple, though both wear business- like clothes, their faces shows nothing but apprehension. She then asked for the history of Joohyuns menstrual cycle and noted that she is on birth control.

“I’ve missed my period before but this is the first time I've missed it for 2 consecutive months”

“Yes, as much as birth control regulates your menstrual cycles, there are times when it messes it up. Pills are 99.9% effective especially when used properly however, studies show that there are instances where it does not. Have you had any intake of antibiotic 2 months ago? “

Joohyun pondered and shook her head “I don’t think so”

“Yes you did" Yonghwa cut her off "remember when you had toncilitis? You were prescribed with strong antibiotics then”

Her faced recognized what Yonghwa was talking about “Yes that’s right doctor Lee, I was prescribed with antibiotic which I took for one week, 3 times a day.”

“I see, a lot of times, stronger medications overtake the use of weaker ones but the best thing to do is run a blood test as pregnancy test are a lot of times defective” the doctor explained which drained the blood on Joohyuns face. She looked at Yonghwa nervously and by the loos of it, she might cry right then and there in front of the doctor. He breathe deeply and held her hands squeezing it to let her know that he understands her.

“I got your test right here and let’ see” The doctor quickly scanned the paper that the nurse just brought it

“Congratulations! You two are pregnant”  she looked at the couple as the middle aged doctor adjusted her glasses.

Joohyuns eyes who were full all tears now where gushing like mad, it was really killing her inside, that fear of knowing that this may be a false alarm is excruciating enough that she was jumpy since that morning.

“Now mommy, if you can follow me right here and change remove your pants and underwaer so we can check how our little buddy is doing”

She dutifully obliged and followed the doctor with Yonghwa’s assistance.

“This is the probe I’ll be using” showing her and Yonghwa the long white stick “and I’ll be inserting this inside you, this is what we call transl ultrasound once you reach your 3rd month we will be using this,”  showing them a rather wide Doppler of which the eyes off the two widened, the doctor laughed a bit

“Don’t worry, this will be a regular pelvic ultrasound when the time comes, and will just be used here on your stomach”

The two let out a sigh of relief

The doctor punched in some buttons as the screen comes to life

“Ok this will be rather cold but take a deep breath” the doctor instructed and began working on her. Yonghwas face was indescribable as he looked at the long probe being inserted inside his wife. The doctor moved the probe a bit until the black screen showed a big black area with a weird looking figure inside and a pulsing image.

“Oh here is our buddy saying hi Appa and Eomma! Annyeong sweetie” The doctor smiled widely pointing at the image, Yonghwas tears began cascading looking at the little peanut with branches like image. His baby. His baby with the woman he loves. He looked at Joohyun who has tears in her eyes.

“If we will be following your LMD, our buddy here is on his way to his third month so as you can see, here are his arms and these are his legs, the head is already forming and so is the torso” the doctor continued explaining as she took shots of the fetus.

“And this is the heart”

Yonghwa moved closer to the screen as he looked at that one part, it was beating really fast

“That’s your baby’s heartbeat, quite strong for this little one, now let me measure it’s growth and we’re done”

The doctor continued to punch in more information and took out the Doppler out of Joohyun, Yonghwa helped her dress as the doctor printed out their baby’s first picture

“Congratulations again, the baby as very healthy, now if you’ll just religiously drink all these and don’t stress yourself too much we’ll be seeing our little precious summer of next year.”

“Is it a girl or a boy?” Joohyun asked while looking at the sonogram pictures

“We won’t know yet lets wait for 2- 3 more months, by then It will show”

“Oh Okay, thank you so much doctor” Joohyun bowed 90 degrees.

“Excuse me doctor, is she allowed to do her regular activities?” Yonghwa then asked

“Yes as long as she doesn’t get tired and won’t have to lift heavy things, you know, avoid stress as much as possible”

“Uhm no lifting what I meant was…” he looked at Joohyun who was looking back at him confused

“What?”

The doctor then snapped her fingers “Ah I get it” chuckling “ during pregnancy is extremely safe for most women with uncomplicated, low-risk pregnancies such as your wife”

Joohyun had to close her eyes and control her breathing “Oh God!”

Yonghwa on the other hand was smiling widely “That’s good to hear then, but won’t I hurt the baby?”

“YOnghwa can you please stop?” his wife looked at him in disbelief

“It’s ok!” the doctor assured Joohyun “It’s normal and to answer your question Mr. Jung No, it won’t hurt the baby, the fetus is well protected. It is an egg surrounded by a pillow and another pillow and that there is no way you will hurt the baby.”

They went out the clinic both smiling, and in a way, for different reasons.

 

~~~~~~

 

It  is said that a baby is a blessing from the heavens and  it couldn’t be any truer for the Jungs and the Seo clan. The second they announced the pregnancy which was a few days after Yoonas baby shower, that following weekend, their mothers threw a small banquet to whoever can attend. When they entered the hotel, they were shock to find out that there was actually a reservation at one of the small halls for the baby announcement. A night which they thought was an intimate quiet celebration with their family turned out to be a jaw dropping party. The sonogram picture was turned to a big tarpaulin. Looking at the massive size of the picture, it could actually scare you Joohyun thought. She actually had to step back across the other end of the hall to appreciate her baby’s first picture.

Their subordinates and co-workers attended and the couple was grateful

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter