Chapter 30

Wishes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 30 

 

 She arrived early morning not wanting to miss him. She even checked with the guard in charge if Jung YongHwa already signed out and was answered with a no. She never really expected that she’ll be waiting that long. Her bag of snacks slowly lightens as she ate the contents as the time tick. When she still hasn’t seen him after lunch, she began to fear that he might have exited at a different gate. She approached the new guard on duty to check if there are still other exits other than those gates and was told there was none. Look of relief covered her face as she went back to sitting at the gutter just outside the army base. She started tearing up at late afternoon when there are still no signs of Yonghwa, did she miss him already? But they said he’s still inside? It didn’t help that it began to drizzle and the cold air started enveloping the surrounding. She hugged herself while balancing the umbrella on her other hand just to keep herself warm and that’s when she noticed a man in his uniform with his bag approaching the gates.

She wanted to cry right then and there as emotions surge through her whole being and because of all the things that had happened to her in the pass weeks and the mere thought that after all these hours of waiting, she may have been waiting for no one. She was filled with happiness seeing the person who now stood outside the gates and was looking at her. Army did him good, his shoulder broader, his face etched with sharpness, he walk with more confidence and there is an air of dependability in him and yet somehow she knew inside that now strong façade is her bestfriend. She realized that the slow tiny drops of water turned to a steady rain making her run to him shading him from getting wet further.

Right at that moment when he spoke “Hey J” she took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second until those tears that’s been pooling fell down. She knows he’s got tons of questions and she’ll answer them one by one but for now, she just wanted him close. Her silent tears slowly turned to sobs, she moved closer and put one arm around his shoulder as she leaned her head on his chest, there in the middle of that rainy night, under that umbrella she surrendered all her grief knowing now he’s here. He took the umbrella from her freeing her other hand making her clutch his uniform tightly instead as she continue sobbing. His other hand hugged her tightly while he just patiently waits for her to stop crying

“I’m here J it’s okay I’m here” were the only words he repeatedly utter

He can’t do anything but hold her. He’s as confuse as ever finding her outside the gates. She should be with her husband right now and enjoying their honeymoon somewhere, anywhere but then she’s here. He looked around to see if she’s with someone but found no one. He also took notice of the big backpack she’s carrying. He just can’t imagine what had happened and the reason she’s there. Crying. When he noticed that she was already calming down

“Hey” he lets go of her and held her chin to make her look at him. He smiled as a sign of encouragement of which she tried to give that smile.

“Let’s go home?” he asked

Joohyun shook her head profusely

“Let’s go somewhere else Yong” trying to sound clear despite her hoarse voice. He was itching to ask what happened or better yet secretly send a message to anyone in their family to ask why she’s there but he knows better, besides, he’d only believe if the words will be coming from her.

“Okay, where do you wanna go?”

And was just answered with a shrug

“Alright, then let’s see where this will take us, but you have to give me the full story J don’t just not talk”

“I will Yong”

 

They took the bus and he remembered Sokcho, it took them hours before they reached the beachside, it was almost pitch black aside from the moon and some stars and the streetlights. He scratched his head thinking where in the world they would spend the night. They walked further until they found a transient house and they had to wake the owner up. He looked at the two suspiciously and was on the verge of asking if they were just a bunch of hormonal young kids wanting some cozy time. They can’t really afford a hotel, his got limited money and he knows she does too.  After the much agonizing scrutinizing look from the owner they headed to their room. It was small but clean, he even checked the bathroom as Joohyun sagged on the floor. He’d take clean anytime of the day and he had learned that since they do have the same hospitality business.  

“Would you like to talk about it now?” He stood looking at her while leaning on the bathroom door.

“Go freshen up first”

“How bout you?” he asked

“I’ll go after you”

He took his time inside the bathroom thinking of the possible scenarios of why she was there and why she was acting like that. He thn also remembered noticing no wedding band on her left fourth finger, even the engagement ring was missing. His rational thinking knew what could've possibly happened but his heart, no matter how much he loves her, then ache for his friend. If that's really the case they she might have gone through some difficult times and just hope that atleast someone was there for her.

He was expecting that Joohyun should be asleep by now but when he came out of the bathroom he found her curled on the bed crying. She wasn’t facing him but he can clearly see how her body shook probably trying to suppress her tears. It broke his heart seeing her like that, he never saw a broken Joohyun that’s beyond irreparable, most of the time it’s her who knows what to do, she knows all the answer. She is Joohyun after all but the person who is now lying on the bed is way too different. He made his way to the bed and lay down beside her. He turned to his side so he is looking at her back he counted to three until she faced him with tears streaked face.

“Oh Yonghwa” were the only words that she was able to say when she abruptly hugged him and cried again

“Tell me what happened Joohyun”

“I thought I knew what I want. I thought I was determined, I thought it was what I have always dreamed of” she spoke in between sobs with her muffled voice.

“The wedding never happened huh?”

It was a simple question yet his bestfriend bawled in his arms which made him panick because at this rate, she might just faint right there.

“Joohyuna calm down” he removed his hold on her and stood up to get water. “Here drink you can’t barely breathe” she took the bottled water and started to catch her breath. He sat beside her waiting for her to start talking again

“When I was in the US I saw myself living there, my new friends, the surroundings, Seunggi oppa. I was so happy Yonghwa to the extent that I never planned to comeback for a long time. I was happy, I felt independent. Everything was goin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter