Chapter 28

Wishes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 28

 

They sat side by side in one of the benches outside the hall, the surroundings definitely does not reflect the tension and aura the two exudes, it's quiet the opposite actually. Alongside the sounds of the birds and the winds that brush the leaves of the trees is her sobs, he doesn't know how to make her stop to be honest, he stared at her earnestly thinking of what to do but instead he fished for his handkerchief and gave it to her.

“Please stop crying” he pleaded as he gathered all his strength to refrain from crying there himself. She took the little piece of cloth and profusely wiped her tears only to be replaced with fresh ones.

“J, please go inside, it’s your party there, they will look for you and I don’t want them to find you like this” He took the handkerchief from her as he held her chin and wiped her tears.

“Exactly it’s my party and you’re leaving without saying goodbye?”

“What do you want me to do Joohyun?”

“Stay”

“I can’t”

“Why?”

“I need to do something”

“Liar!”

“Please understand J, it hurts to be with you right now, do I have to repeat everything I’ve said before? Is it still not clear to you?”

“Please” she looked at him begging

“Please also, if you still have a bit of care for our friendship in your heart, you’ll let me walk away”

“I can’t”

“Why not?!”

“you’re unfair Yonghwa, I stayed beside you all through those years even though you hurt me just as much now you can’t even stay for me? I am first and foremost your bestfriend!”

He bowed is head as he ran both hands through his hair slightly pulling it out of frustration how can we be the same? You're getting married for pete sake!?. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes waiting for a big rock to fall on him.

“Let’s go” taking her hand to his

“Where are we going?”

“Back to your bridal party”

They slowly walk silently still holding each others’ hand not really knowing what else to say. As they approached the door he stopped and made her face him as he look closely at her face, he wipe the remaining traces of tears and made her blow her nose he then combed her hair using his hand. He looks like he’s taking care of a 5 year old. He wondered when did their reverse of roles started.

“Go inside Joohyun they’re waiting for you”

“No, not without you”

He shut his eyes and prayed for divine intervention and willed himself not to throw tantrums as well. How can this be so difficult?

“If you’re willing to throw our friendship away just like that, well not me!” she opened the door and forcefully pushed him inside making him stumble to a chair creating a loud sound which successfully gotten the attention of everyone. He saw how Joohyun playfully smiled but he knows it’s a force one and basing on that, he knows that no one still knows what happen that early morning.

“Yonghwa why are you not eating?” Joohyuns mom asked as she led him to the table where the food is followed by Joohyun who sat beside Seunggi in their table. She took a plate for him and began filling it up with various dishes, he exclaimed how delicious the food looks but in truth everything taste bland to him. He decided to sit with their friends instead of seating where his family are because that same table also has her and her fiancée, wouldn’t it be enough that he’s facing them?

“So Yonghwa are you excited you’re almost there? Can you believe that you’ve actually made it?” Yoona asked as she fed Jonghyun. Their sweetness is still making him cringe.

“I know right, well, never thought I’d last either but here I am”

“You look really tired” Hyo commented

“Yeah I have a lot to do so after I eat I’m heading back”

“That’s it?”

“Yeah, come on we’ll see each other soon” as he continued munching on the heaping food in front of him until a hand with an envelope was suddenly on his face. There stood Joohyun handing him the wedding invitation, shoving is a more appropriate word. He took it and slightly bowed while she just looked at him and turned around. He was busily opening and looking at the invitation oblivious to the fact that his friends notice the sudden coldness between him and Joohyun.

 

The date of the wedding is a day after he gets discharge from the army. True to her words she made sure that he will be there, it wasn’t a conventional wedding he supposed, how on earth can a man be a Maid of Honor? Man of Honor. Does that make sense? This only happens in movies he thought. He stared at the envelope as everything syncs in. This is it he thought, he did his part already the only thing missing is for him to be genuinely happy for her and that’s what he should start learning.  He ran his fingers on the intricate boarder of the invitation thinking that they must really have put a lot of thinking and work for this. He leaf through the few pages that it has, at the very front was a cursive writing of the couples name. He bitterly smiled, yes that’s who she’s supposed to be with.

 

“Uhm hello!” a loud voice coming from the speaker broke his train of thoughts as everyone directed their attention to the stage., there stood the girl that’s been occupying his mind all these time. She was seating and in front of her was a keyboard.

“Thank you all so much for this wonderful surprise! I was really, uhm how should I call it?”

Leeteuk then shouted “SURPRISE!”

She beamed snapping “Yes! Surprise!”

Hyoyeon stood up from their table and shouted “YAH!!! You should be!” as everyone laughed

“And to thank everyone who put in their efforts for this wonderful day, I will be singing you this song, do bear with me though as it’s been awhile since I put my gift for music to use” she smiled widely

“WOOOO show off!!!!” her friends

He smiled as she began popping her fingers, he almost forgot that she sings really well and also plays the piano, how consumed his mind was to forget that’s she’s musically talented and how they enjoyed music back then. He remembered their younger days when they would talk on the phone for hours chatting about god knows what and singing. Music has always been there for them and he can’t believe that he forgot that.

 

Fall in Love

 

She started playing and he instantly recognized the song as he tried catching his breath. He remembered her saying it’s one of her favorite. When they were alone in her house one time after class, she sang it for him while she played the piano, she said that she never played it for anyone except for him since he always play something for her. He remembered her saying that she will be singing this song to the man that she loves and will marry. Well he is here, he shifted his attention to that man who was smiling from ear to ear looking at the same person his heart is beating for. How lucky can he get for this special woman to be singing it to him and only to him.

He looked back at her as her finger delicately played with the keys as she sings her heart out. For some reason he remembered their prom when they went together.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter