The Cheat

The Unwanted (DISCONTINUED, SEE CHAPTER 32)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 29

The Cheat

A week flew passed just like that. Hani spent most of her time studying as a distraction to get her mind of Kris. She stayed back everyday after school consistently for her tuition lessons with Kris. They haven't talk much apart from Hani asking him studies-related questions. As miserable as it was, a week finally passed and it was the day of finals.

 

Hani definitely felt a million times more confident then the previous time she took the mid-years exam. Though it was only a week of intense, hardcore studying, it was nonetheless extremely productive with the help of Kris, of course. He cleared up all her misconceptions and helped her grasp the topics better. This doesn't guarantee an 'A' but she was positive that she isn't going to fail for a second time.

 

Kris wanted to wish Hani 'all the best' for this exam but he couldn't think of the right way to do it. Should he drop a note in her locker? But would that be too friendly considering the fact that they are still not on good terms? Or should he just give her nod of 'you better do well because I've taught you well'?

 

Eventually he decided on simply doing nothing. Because he knew that she would do well even without his blessings. 

 

Kris and Hani were placed side by side in the seating arrangment, which was a relief for Hani knowing that Kris was somewhat by her side but also pressurized her because he would notice whenever she couldn't do a question. 

 

The exam started shortly and Hani mouthed a silent prayer before starting. Holding her pen with shaky hands, she tried to calm herself by breathing in and out before flipping open the cover of the script. 

 

Kris was writing at a speed of a robot, as though all the answers to the questions were already stored in his brain and all he needed to do was write it all out automatically. Within half an hour, he was done and he smacked his pen down onto the table. He glanced over at Hani, who was resting her forehead on her palm.

 

Hani was concentrating really hard on the paper. For once, she really wanted to do well for this paper. Not only for herself but also for Kris. She wanted to make him feel proud of her.

 

10 minutes before the time is up, Hani had finally completed the paper. There were questions she was unsure of but she made an effort not to leave any blanks. Overall, the paper was rather doable for her. She gave a small smile and placed her pen neatly on the table.

 

When she looked up from her script, she caught the whole scene.

 

Luhan who was sitting infront of Kris, tipped his chair back to slide an answer key under Kris' desk so swiftly when he wasn't paying attention and then pretended that nothing had happened. It was so quick that she doubt anyone had witnessed it. 

 

Kris, whose head was on the table, was completely clueless. His eyes were closed and was sleeping soundly, totally unaware of the danger he is being put in.

 

The second hand of the clock hits twelve and the teacher called the class to stop writing. Hani's mind went blank and when she finally got her act together, the teacher was already walking down the row to collect the scripts. Once she reaches Hani's table, she would be able to see the answer key that was under Kris' table and he would be in deep . 

 

The consequences of cheating was a zero for the paper and a 2-day detention. In rare cases, the student might get expelled. Everyone knew the punishments perfectly well. 

 

Hani went into a frenzy. Countless thoughts were flooding her mind. What should she do? Should she raise up her hand and said that Luhan is trying to frame Kris? Will anyone believe her? Or should she throw it onto the floor? 
 

The teacher was now a metre and a half away, collecting the script of the girl infront of her. She knew she had to make up her mind fast or it will be too late.

 

Hani immediately snatched the answer key and placed it under her table instead. Kris still hasn't noticed. No one did. No one had witnessed the whole scene, and Hani knew perfectly well what that means. 

 

No one is going to testify for her. No one is going to stand up for her. There was no eyewitnesses to prove that Luhan had tried to frame Kris from the start. Hani is really digging her own grave by doing so. But of course, for Kris, why wouldn't she? 

 

Bingo. When the teacher was collecting Hani's script, she noticed the strange looking pile of paper under her table. She eyed it with a curious expression before reaching out to take it.

 

Whatever happened after that was a blur.

 

The teacher raised her voice and began shouting at Hani. She slammed the answer key onto the floor and pointed her index finger at Hani accusingly. 
 

 

Kris' attention was finally alerted. His head was slowly lifted up from the table and looked with his droopy eyes to see what was all that yelling about. Hani was standing up while the teacher continued to bark at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter