Chapter 9: A Walk Home

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 9: A Walk Home

 


 

*Taehyung's POV*

My mouth still hangs open even as I sit next to Soo Jin. She manually closes my mouth and I blush from the embarrassment.

"I'm gonna perform a song for you, okay?" I look at her in shock.

"REALLY?!" I yell excited, like a kid on Christmas morning. She smiles at me with her signature crescent eyes. I blush all over again. Soo Jin gently places her hands on the keys, flipping the page of the book above the piano.

*Yiruma-Maybe*

The beautiful music invades my mind and puts me at ease. I close my eyes and listen to the piece. The way I'd describe it is like a soft question. Like the music is asking me something. In the middle of the song it turns a bit sad, as if a bad event is going on. Finally, the song ends on a more refreshing tone. I had goosebumps; it was amazing.

"Wow, Soo Jin. You're a pro!" I grin at her and she beams right back.

"Thanks. I take pride in my musical ability," she stares back at the piano keys.

"What's it called? The piece I mean." She looks at me in curiosity.

"Maybe." I nod furiously and pump my fist to the sky.

"I totally feel it! It was like someone told me a story." Soo Jin was a little impressed at my comments.

"Well, technically speaking, all music tells a story, it just takes a good listener to understand it." She then added, "And you're a good listener."

"Do you want to be a pianist?" I ask seriously.

She smiles in pride and puffs, "Of course! I plan on going to the Seoul School of Fine Arts in the future. Then, when I become world famous, I'll be able to truly express my feelings through piano!" I redden and smile at her. Her passion is admirable.

"You should keep following that dream."

Fiddling with her thumbs she looked at me in innocent question, "Thank you?" 

I wrap my arm around her shoulder and bring her to me, then extend my free arm out saying, "Just imagine yourself on the big stage after a performance and then you say, 'I'd like to thank a good friend of mine, Kim Taehyung for supporting my pianist career.' Wouldn't that be great?!" She laughed and flicked my forehead playfully.

"Yeah." I stay silent and wait for her to say something else.

"Thanks, Taehyung," she smiles.

"Huh? For what?"

Soo Jin gives me a pure smile and giggles, "For being a friend." 

My heart skips a beat.


 



*Jonghyun's POV*

My dad drove me home from practice while I just glared. How the f*** did I miss him?! He must have known I was looking for him. Yeah. That was the most likely reason. Calm, Hyun. Calm. I release a long breath and slouch in my car seat.

There was always tomorrow.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

Taehyung tells me a lot about himself and in return I talk about my childhood and dreams. It feels like I've known him for years. Speaking to him is so effortless it's a wonder he doesn't have many friends, if any. Maybe that's why people don't like him. He's too amazing and they can't handle it. I giggle. Taehyung opens his mouth to say something, but his phone rings. His ringtone has me chuckling. It's the worm song. Funny as it is, it fits him. 

He answers it in a confused tone, "Hello? Jimin?" He puts it on speaker in excitement, but places a finger on his lips and shushes me. Just listening. Got it.
"V!!! You said you would meet me after school? Yah!"
"Sorry, Jimin, but something important came up."
"What could be more important than spending time with your friend?! Especially since it's me!" I stifled my giggles, but unfortunately he heard it.
"Yah. V. What did I say about controlling your giggles? Girls won't like you if you keep doing that." Taehyung blushed and I had to run elsewhere before I broke down laughing. 
"Jimin!"
"Okay, okay. Dang. Call me later when you get home okay? The gang is gonna meet up at my house. So I'll give you the address."
"Bye Jimin. Jerk," he mumbles the last part as he hangs up.

"Well, I should probably go home huh?"

"You walk?" He nods and looks at me as if just asked the dumbest question in the world. I check the time, 4:20. I guess I could walk home with him I shrug to myself. Suddenly I call my mom, and he watches blankly.

It rings a couple times and my mom answers, "Bwoayah?"
"Mom, I'm gonna walk home today. Okay?"
"Cool. Call me when you're close to the house." 
"Alright." I hang up and Taehyung continues to look blankly at me.

"What was that?"

"I'm walking you home, duh?" He shakes his head at me and says nothing more.

I laugh at his corny pun for the 3rd time that day. When did he become so funny? Taehyung stopped walking and looked in front of him. I looked where his gaze landed and held in a gag. Who I assume was his mother, was standing in the yard dancing and singing to G-Dragon songs. He covers my ears and tells me to leave the premises. I could see the desperate look in his eyes so I obliged.

Whipping out my cellie, I call my mom again.
"Close to the house?" 
"Yup."
"I'll start on dinner."
"Bye, love you."

Sundae, here I come!


 



*Taehyung's POV*

My mom looks absolutely mental as she stands on the freshly mowed grass, singing. Completely ignoring her, I walk into the house. The first thing I see is my sister waiting at the door. She looks at me and pouts. 

"Where have you been?! You should have been home an hour ago!" At this, I check the time to find it was 4:30. My mouth pops open in surprise. Has it really been an hour since school ended?!

"Soo Jin really ruined my evening gosh," I voice. 

"YAH?! Don't tell me you were hanging out with Soo Jin-Unnie?!" She began pounding on my chest.

"Stop that! What's so bad about me hanging out with her anyway," I flail.

"You'll corrupt her purity with your creepiness!"

"YAHHHHHHH!!!! I'm not creepy at all!" Dad comes into the living room thanks to our loud bickering.

"Kids? What's cooking in here?" Mi Yan points at me with an angry look on her face.

"He's hanging out with my Unnie!" He looks back at me, confusion and fascination in his features.

"Taehyung? With a girl?!" His confusion turns to pride and he hugs me tightly. I blush furiously then try pushing him away. He pats my back, very roughly, I might add, and holds my shoulders.

"My son is becoming a man. I remember when I met your moth-" I suddenly can't take the embarrassment and run up to my room. I cover my eyes and yell in frustration. My phone rings and I answer without looking. 

"Yah?"
"HURRY YOUR A** UP, V!" I hear Jin curse into the speaker. 
"Sorry, hyung. I got occupied. I'll be there in a bit."
"I'll send you the address of the place," he sighs, giving in. I hang up the phone and wait for the said message.

Jimin's house, huh?