Chapter 31: Did You Forget Something?

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 31: Did You Forget Something

 


 

*Ashley's POV*

Soo Jin sobbed quietly in my arms. She was moving to Europe in 2 days. I definitely understand her need to accomplish her dreams, but wasn't this too fast? They couldn't even stay until graduation. I'm sure she would have loved to see Jin and NamJoon graduate. This year, I was planning a special speech for the graduates and now she was going to miss it. The bigger question is: How would she say goodbye? Soo Jin was never good with her words, so how in the world would she say goodbye to Jimin and Taehyung?! Even Jungkook would be difficult to depart from. They have grown to be great friends.

"Soo Jin," said girl hums a reply.

"How are you going to say goodbye?"

She tensed and whispers, "I won't." Shaking her and making her meet my harsh gaze, I begin to lecture her.

"Sooji-chi! I know you couldn't actually be serious! Your friends need to know!" Her head tilts in a way that makes me even more incredulous.

"I can't believe you! You are being selfish right now! Do you know how they would feel that you didn't say anything to them?!" She shakes her head and stuffs it back into my embrace.

Her words are muffled by my shirt, "It only makes it harder." Her sniffles reach my ears pathetically.

"I don't want to leave them. But…" she looks off somewhere, not meeting my eyes. Her face is unemotional her eyes are cold. The words she says next contrast with her expression.

It sounds as if she is in pain, "I don't want to change my decision." Soo Jin's feelings are finally clear to me. She doesn't want them to chase her down and make her change her mind. We know very well that Jimin and Jungkook will force her to stay and Taehyung will give her the final puppy look. She would be weak to their advances and have no choice, but to not leave. My decision is final.

"I won't say anything. Do what you think is best and we'll see from there." She thanks me repeatedly and I can't help to think I made the wrong choice. Crossing my fingers behind my back, I resign my promise. I'll tell them, but at the opportune time. Maybe then, she will be thankful I didn't keep my promise. Those boys will get the heart attack of a lifetime.

Hopefully, Taehyung will get a wake up call.


 



*Jimin's POV*

I was so excited, but when am I not? Today was Valentine's Day. Yesterday, I spent the entire day making Soo Jin a homemade chocolate cake. It wasn't huge, but for her tastes it was perfect. I could have done what Jungkook did and just bought her a gift, but she deserved something made with love. And man, did I put a lot of love, time, and effort into it. There was still a little bit of time before the first bell of the day would ring. Speaking of Soo Jin and her gift, where was she?

All of the sudden, Taehyung burst onto the bench, bouncing up and down in excitement. He shook me happily.

"Yah! Tae, st-stop that!" My voice wavers in response to his manhandling. He does as I say, looks at me in apology, and continues as if nothing happened.

"Who are you giving your Valentine's to?" My sigh, for the millionth time in my life, can be heard all over the world.

"Soo Jin." He nods and agrees with my choice.

Taehyung surprises me by closing his eyes and saying, "Me, too." 

What does he mean by that?! Doesn't he know the gravity of what he's doing?!

"Are you sure?!" Taehyung beams at me, nodding furiously. My head becomes foggy. Had he liked her all this time without me knowing?

"Do you…like her?" His face is nervous and he mumbles a soft 'yes'. I stand up abruptly and pace in front of him.

"How long?" He stutters like someone that has never known how to speak.

"I'm not sure," he finally whimpers. I should have known. From the first day that he said that the only friend he met was Soo Jin. I should have known then that his 'friendship' with her would turn into something more. My shoulders slump and I sit on the left extremity of the bench, far away from Taehyung. To think that I considered Taehyung as my best friend and now it was as if he back stabbed me.

"What other secrets are you hiding? Might as well tell me now," I demand, crossing my arms.

"Well," he rubs the back of his neck and says pathetically, "You won't like it." Obviously not. But what could be worse than liking the same girl that I liked?

"On Christmas Eve, we kissed after exchanging gifts," my ears ring and my heart pounds. I couldn't believe what he said nor did I want to. I breathe deeply and try to calm my nerves.

"What else?" Taehyung tilts his head down in guilt. Good. You SHOULD be feeling guilt you traitor.

"She saved me from a gang." Okay, that's not as bad-

"And after the break she tried to admit her love for me.-"

"What?!" My rage is no longer able to be hidden. Picking him up by the collar, I bring him close to my face.

He quivers in fear, "Jimi-"

"Now you listen to me." Taehyung nods furiously and tears collect in the corner of his eyes. My anger dissipates seeing his pained face. I put him down gently and pull him into an embrace.

"Sorry, V. I don't know what came over me." He gasps, trying to regain the breath I just took from him.

"Don't hate me. I'm just a jealous guy. I couldn't help it." He nods and I guide him back onto the bench. To think that I almost beat up my friend just because of something out of his control.

"It's okay. I should have known this would happen. But Soo Jin kept pushing her feelings onto me that I didn't know how to reject her." We both stay in a awkward silence after that. 

Taehyung breaks the tension, "I stopped her for you." What?

"I told myself to push her away. For you." Now I felt really bad. He didn't mean for any of these things to happen, but the fact that he pushed back his feeling for me… It was admirable.

"Well," clearing my throat, I look at him with a determined smile.

"Whoever wins her heart first, gets to keep her." He gapes and I laugh, closing his mouth.

"We have until the end of the year to do it. May the best man win." Taehyung grins and we shake hands, sealing the deal.

May the best man win.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

"Good morning Soo Jin!"
"H-hey Ahn Soo Jin."
"ASHLEY!!"
"Lina baby!"
"JAE NOONA!!!!"
"OMG Fae! I love you!"

The regular morning routine. Usually, our fans giving us so much attention would make me feel happy, but with the impending departure coming, I couldn't focus on anything. The same boy from a long time ago came up to me.

"Soo Jin-Noona! I want to give you this present! I made them myself! Please accept them." He bows and I recall him being called Oh Se Hun. I would always have a witty remark, but today, I simply gave a 'thank you' and kept walking. The girls watched me in pity. Soon enough, all of this would be gone. His face dropped and he came to me.

Se Hun held my shoulders and asked worriedly, "Are you okay, Noona?" His eyes remind me of Jungkook's and my throat tightens. 

Mustering a forced smile, I fake my cockiness, "Of course. What you should be asking is: Are you going to be okay standing so close to me?" I send a wink his way and he blushes and runs away.

"WAAAAHHHHH!!!" His excitement can't be denied as my face drops again, but no one notices as I walk to class in a rush. The girls watch me as I leave and I can feel their worried gazes on my head.

Please don't look at me like that.


 



*Time Skip: Still Soo Jin's POV*

Taehyung sits beside me while fidgeting. What's wrong with him? Class hasn't started yet. I came early today in order to avoid the fanboys, but now I was here alone with my thoughts. My negative thoughts. He suddenly tapped my shoulder.

"Yes?" His face was a tomato red as he passed me a box.

"I made them myself." My face turns the same shade and take the box out of his hands. I couldn't believe my eyes. I give him a genuine smile and he smiles back. My heart swells in happiness. This was the best gift I could ever be given.

"Soo Jin. I know I haven't exactly been the best with you, but I just want you to know that I-" he is suddenly interrupted by Mr. Lee coming in, phone in hand.

"Ms. Ahn, your mom is picking you up. Come on." What?! I was supposed to stay all day today. Why did she suddenly change her mind?! I wave a quick goodbye to Taehyung and leave him with his words in his mouth. Rushing out of the classroom, I forget something important.

Taehyung's Valentine's gift.