Chapter 19: The Talent Show

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 19: The Talent Show

 


 

*Soo Jin's POV*

I wipe my tears as I finish playing the last note. As much as I didn't want to take that trip back down memory lane, for the sake of writing this song, I did it. I smile. The piece couldn't have come out any better. My true feelings were finally on paper. Always staying away from the subject of Hyunseung's death, this felt as if it was being told again. The love I felt for him, the pain of finally saying goodbye, it was all here. 

This was the best one I've ever composed and I couldn't be more proud if myself. I'd have to thank Seungri later. He truly was a genius, not that I'll ever tell him that. I'm afraid his ego will grow so large that his brain can explode. I pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time. 6:13 pm. Whipping my head around, I see that it's already dark outside. I've been here for a lot longer than I planned. 

The door closes silently as I walk out of the school. My mom probably doesn't even care. She knows I can take care of myself pretty well. What would Mr. Lee think? Meh. He won't mind much. I'll probably be rewarded with a week's worth of detention, though. I pass by the hospital and stop. Should I visit Taehyung? Not even thinking twice, I walk into the building. He'll be happy to see me.

I knock on his door, already hearing him yell about Cookie Monster being 'such a b**** for eating those cookies'.

I giggle when he says, "Hurry up! Elmo's about to come on!" His eyes still focuses on the tv, I cross my arms, waiting for him to acknowledge my existence. Taehyung looks at me and blushes.

"Oh no! Sorry, Soo Jin! I didn't know it was you. Come here," he pats the bed next to him. Complying, I obediently sit next to him.

"You're in a good mood," he grins at me sillily.

"I just made another piece," I scratch the back of my neck. He smiles his rectangle smile.

"Really?! Wow! You have to play for me!" I look at him waiting for him to catch the hint.

He puffs and fixes his words, "When I can walk," I giggle at his adorable pout and pinch his cheeks.

"Yah! That hurts!" He blushes and slaps my hands away.

"What is is about?" My content expression drops and is replaced with a melancholic one.

"No! Wait I'm sorry! You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to-" I press my finger to his lips, effectively shutting him up.

"No. I want to. Please listen," I nearly beg him. He nods and wait for me to continue.


 



*Time Skip: Still Soo Jin's POV*

I end up crying into Taehyung's chest. He my hair calmly as I let my tears flow onto his hospital gown. We embrace and it feels as if the world around us doesn't exist.

"H-how could I be so foolish to let him come so c-close? I k-knew that what I was doing could h-hurt him, but I didn-"

"Shh. Shh. We aren't gonna talk about this anymore. Crying only makes it worse." Taehyung watches me, feeling my sorrow. Both of us are just two broken and beat down souls. Souls beaten down by the cruelty of the world. This boy. I only knew him since last week, but the moments we were sharing right now, it felt like he was there for me since the start.

"That was the piece right? All of this? All of your feelings?"

"Yes. Plus my tears are the trademark of the song. You can't forget that!" I laugh, trying to lighten the mood. He chuckles right back and points at the television screen. I turn my body around and watch what he's pointing to in so much anger. That. Damn. Fish. We turn to each other in a deep frown, shaking our fists in unison. 

"DOROTHY!!!!"


 



*Jimin's POV*

This week of school passed like roadrunner running a marathon. That means it passed really fast, by the way. Soo Jin and I occasionally see each other in the hallways and we strike up a conversation, but nothing out of the ordinary. Taehyung has been especially ecstatic, but what the source of that positivity was, I don't know. Really, nothing too great has happened. But right now… Right now was the day people were waiting for. It was 5:00 in the evening and parents were arriving. 

Outside, there was a huge sign plastered, "Welcome parents, students, to the 2015 talent show!" It was quite impressive. The fine arts students and student council pulled together to make it. The Queenkas took a large part of the responsibility in setting up the stage and decoration. Ashley was definitely the most hard working, though. From what Soo Jin told me, she spent the entire week worrying about making everything perfect. And here I stand, applauding her efforts because it turned out just how she wanted: Perfect.

They put me and the other Bangtan Boys in charge of the welcoming committee. More like J-Crew though. Suga and RapMon just stood on the side while WE welcomed the parents. Jungkook was the most passionate about the whole deal. I could tell he was using it as a method to vent. He was EXTREMELY nervous. When no one was watching, you could find him biting his nails and tapping his foot. He was one of the first acts and that had him anxious. I almost felt bad for him. ALMOST. He just had to make a comment about my shortness. My pity was now officially down the toilet.

"Welcome! Welcome, everyone! Please have a seat and wait for the show to commence!" I could hear Ashley through the microphone. The school auditorium was almost packed with excited parents and students. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Taehyung in a wheelchair. How did I miss him?! Running off to go see him, the guys protest behind me.

"Lazy!" Suga exclaims and I roll my eyes. Says him. Taehyung's mom spots me and waves me over to them. 

"Jimin!" Taehyung and I embrace in a hug and I pull away to pat him on the back.

"How's the ribs going?"

He giggles and says excitedly, "They might let me leave early! Your dad said I'm making a surprisingly quick recovery and that I'll be able to leave soon!" My eyes widen and I hug him again.

"Really?! That's great, V!" His mom watches us in joy.

She nods and finishes, "He's due to leave the hospital by Monday!" Monday?! That was 2 days from now. Although I was skeptical, Taehyung looked perfectly fine from what I could see. I grin and we turn when we see the lights dim. Even though I was planning on sitting with the Bangtan Boys, I decide not when I see Taehyung's pleading look. I'll just sit with them, then. Ashley comes off the side stage and loud claps erupt. She bows and introduces,

"Welcome everyone! I'm Ashley, your student council president and the leader of this shindig!"

"Hah. Shindig," I hear Taehyung giggle childishly next to me. Wow, real mature.

"I won't keep you waiting! Let's get this Talent Show on the road!" The crowd once more breaks into a round of applause before waiting silently for the first act to begin.

It was a girl in one of the younger grade levels. She was singing a Girl's Generation song. Gee to be precise.

"Well, I've never heard that one before," sarcasm dripping from my words. I turn to see if Taehyung agreed to my words, but instead he's singing along. I facepalm. He's something else. About 4 more people go up and do the stereotypical Talent Show kind of act. Dance, sing. Boring. But Taehyung was a different topic altogether. He was beside me passionately singing and dancing his heart out. 

Finally, I see Jungkook walk into the stage and I yell out, "GO KOOKIE," for everyone to hear. He glares at me from on the stage. I give him a thumbs up and Taehyung follows. Jungkook clears his throat nervously when the music begins. Eyes, Nose, Lips by Taeyang. Very original Jungkook. But when he starts singing, I keep myself silent. Never in my life have I heard him sing, but when I see that he can actually SING, I watch in awe. The way he hits the high notes in the song leaves me with goosebumps. There's no denying that he has talent.

The song finally finishes and the crowd goes crazy. They all stand and applaud, even Taehyung's mother is whooping loudly. He bows and gives the crowd a 5000 watt smile and the girls in the crowd squeal. I cover my ears and groan. Regardless of the slight annoyance, I want to congratulate him. Searching the crowd with my eyes, I see Jin looking back at me. I wave my hand at him and point to the stage. He gets the message and all of the sudden, 5 boys walk up to the stage. I grab Taehyung's wheelchair and roll him over to the stage and up the ramp. Jungkook watches us in confusion.

Jin is the first to reach him and he gives him a big hug. We all join the hug, including Taehyung. Jungkook is in the middle wondering what's going on.

J-Hope reads his thoughts and says, "We're proud of you, Kookie." The crowd hears this and aww in unison. Ashley comes up there and ushers Jungkook backstage and us back into the crowd. When the spectacle is done with, the next performer comes in.


 



*Time Skip: Still Jimin's POV*

Tonight has been fun. During one of the intermissions, the Bangtan Boys came over to where we sat. Taehyung had a lot of fun performing with the performers from his seat. We had a good laugh and he didn't seem to mind. Some people from the student council came in pushing a piano. Taehyung squealed in delight. We stared at him and he shushes us. The council members left the stage and Soo Jin came on. The Bangtan Boys gauge my reaction. My mouth hangs open.

She sits at the piano and begins to play.

*Yiruma- If I Could See You Again*

Here eyes close in concentration as the song progresses. The tune is so melancholic. It makes my heart clench at the impact of the notes. She plays with so much passion that you can't help, but feel same way she feels as she touches every key. The feelings the song was portraying were so intense that I wonder what struck her to play this song. Even if she didn't compose the music herself, the pure complexity of it had the entire crowd impressed. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Taehyung crying wholeheartedly. Even the manly NamJoon was moved to tears by the sad sounds. Soo Jin's body bobs back and forth at each note she plays. Everyone was sharing the same sensations as the piece comes to a soft close. 

She stands up and bows. I didn't even notice the beautiful dress she was wearing because I was to busy concentrating on her performance. The dress was, by the way, a perfect fit. It was black, long and tied into a red ribbon at her waist and hugged her body at every angle. Her entire presence lit up the room at the moment and there was no denying that everyone's eyes were on her. My chest swelled in pride. That's Ahn Soo Jin. 

Every parent, student and teacher stood up and clapped. People were wiping their tears as she bowed deeply. Taehyung, even, although struggling to stand up at first, clapped and wolf whistled.

Ashley ran up to her and held up her hand, "Can we just get another round of applause for our, Soo Jin?" Impossible as it seemed, the crowd became louder. It was clear that she won the talent show. As if there was any doubt before.

"Those of you who think that she deserves to be crowned this year's talent show winner, raise your hand up high." Unanimously, everyone raised their hand, some even putting up both. Cough. Taehyung. Cough. Ashley signals some people behind the stage and they come up to her with a large trophy. Soo Jin accepted the trophy with tears in her eyes. Clearly this meant a lot to her.

Ashley passed her the mic and said, "Do you have anything to say?" Soo Jin cleared and spoke, her voice grim, but soft.

"Don't hold back. No matter who pushes you down, you get up and you do it again. Make sure to tell your loved ones that you love them and-" her voice quivers and she in a deep breath. The pain laced in her tone was obvious and it pained me to see her like this.

"And never let anyone take away what you want," it looked like she wanted to say more, but her cracking voice wouldn't let her. She bows and releases a somber smile. The crowd cheers for her one last time as she walks offstage.

"Wow. That girl is so troubled," I hear Taehyung's mom mumble. Taehyung just watches her leave, as if he knows exactly what's going on. Why am I so in the dark? The crowd begins to disperse and people start to leave. The Bangtan Boys stand up and Jin waves us over to him.

"Let's go backstage and see what Kookie is doing."

Everyone nods in agreement and I listen to Taehyung's mother as she says, "I'll wait for you in the car, okay?" He nods simply and I walk him to the stage. We all find ourselves backstage, looking for Jungkook. There's a crowd in the back; it was all the performers and some of the preparation committee. Jungkook is in the corner patting someone's back and rocking them back and forth. Upon closer inspection, it was Soo Jin. Why is everyone suddenly so chummy with her?! I wonder this in bewilderment. Really! Is she everyone's best friend now?

Jungkook looks at us and waves us over. Soo Jin is smiling and laughing with him. At least she wasn't crying anymore. I've seen Soo Jin cry a lot more than I wanted to.

"Hey, everyone." She smiles at us, but her gaze was more directed towards Taehyung. My hurt pangs a little. I'm not gonna lie to you, that made me jealous.

"I was just talking to Soo Jin about how we should do a duet. My voice and her piano skills?! We'll become world famous!" I grimace inwardly. An image of Jungkook and Soo Jin kissing popped into my head. No way in HELL was I going to let that happen. The Queenkas run over to Soo Jin and Fae was the first to talk.

"Unnie! You did so well! I knew you had it in the bag!" She resembles a puppy as she grabs Soo Jin's arm and rubs her face on it. Lina Gi watches them and adds,

"I really thought you were a star up there. Congratulations on the win." The rest of the Queenkas give her high fives and hugs. They didn't even say anything about her almost crying. Suspicious.

"Ah! I'm so sorry!" Soo Jin suddenly turned to us and pointed at us.

"These are the Bangtan Boys! They're Jungkook, NamJoon and Taehyung's friends." My straight face faltered when she didn't mention my name. She started naming us off. 

She pointed at me first, "This is Jimin. You guys don't know him, but he's a good guy. And a great friend," she winks my way and I smile. I internally sigh in relief, they didn't know me, that's why she was mentioning my name now.

"Now," she puckers her lips cutely. God she was so cute.

"This is where I play the guessing game," she walked around the unknown members and pointed at Jin all of the sudden.

"Jin!" He watches her. "How did you know my name?"

She giggles, "Jungkook said, 'If he looks a princess, that's probably Jin'."

Jin's eye twitches and he yelled out, "JUNGKOOK!!! You better hope you have the best life insurance in the world!! You'll need it!" We all laugh at Jin and Jungkook turns pale. Jin grabs him in a choke hold, but does it gently. Jin is too nice to actually hurt our Kookie.

"Then, he said to watch out for a guy with swag." She taps her chin and suddenly grabs Suga's hand.

"You!" He raise his brow at her.

"Suga, right?" He nods in approval and kisses her hand coolly.

"Min Yoon Gi at your service." I laugh at him. I know he doesn't mean anything by that. That was just Suga's way of doing things. 

She walks over to J-Hope and places her hand on his shoulder, "Even though you're obviously J-Hope, Jungkook said that if I saw a guy with a long face, that was you," J-Hope gapes at Jungkook. She suddenly starts waving her hands in front of herself defensively.

"Wait! You're still handsome! Don't take it the wrong way!" J-Hope blushes and chuckles. He turns his head in embarrassment. Did she just flirt?

Smooth, Soo Jin. Smooth.