Chapter 16: She's an Enigma

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 16: She's an Enigma

 


 

*Jimin's POV*

As I sit home alone on my bed, I think about the significance of Soo Jin's actions. Something serious is bothering her. She was angry at me yesterday, then she cries on me today, then forgives me and ends up being cold. Her head is really messed up. Maybe she's bipolar? Or has a mental problem? I never thought of these things when I first saw her. She seems so normal until you look below the surface. Do her friends know what's wrong with her? And what was with her speech?

"I wish I could change the past. I want to take back what I know I can't."

"I want to apologize to anyone I've hurt. I wish I wasn't so selfish."

What does any of that mean?! It made my head pound. Why are women so complicated?! Jimin, why did you have to fall in love with a nutcase? Couldn't you like a normal girl? My phone rings and I pick up. Taehyung.

"Hey, V. What's up?" I ask, my mood already improving.
"You devil! I've been waiting for you to come visit me! Do you know how hard it is to sit in a bed all day?!"
"Knowing you, it was probably really hard," I poke fun at him.
"What is that supposed to mean?! Yah!"
"Calm down. I'll visit tomorrow for sure!" I suddenly remember the cause of my grief and frown.
"I have something I need to talk to you about."
"Ah? What's wrong, Chimmie? You sound out of it," confusion heard clearly in his tone.
"I'll tell you tomorrow. Bye." I hear him protest before I hang up and place my phone on my nightstand, roughly.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

I wake up, migraine already present. I'm not ready to face the day. There's so many things troubling me that I just wish I could skip school, but I won't. I already made a promise to myself to never disappoint my parents again. Groggily, I prepare myself for school. I make my way down the stairs and just as my mom is about to greet me, she points at my shirt.

"It's backwards." Looking down, I see that it is indeed backward. My dad is sitting on the couch and he looks at me in disapproval. Quickly, I take my shirt off right then and there and change it to its correct position.

"AHN SOO JIN!" My mom gasps at me in surprise. My dad laughs at her facial expression and pats my back.

"YOU ARE HER FATHER! AREN'T YOU GOING TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THAT?!" She yells, pulling her hair and watching his every move.

He chuckles and shrugs, "Not really. She knows what she's doing. Our daughter isn't at the top in academics for no reason." My mom points at me, her hand shaking.

"Calm down, grandma. Yelling isn't good for your blood pressure," I snigger at her face. My dad whoops loudly at my sarcasm. She rolls her eyes and ushers me out of the house.

"Come on. We're going to school now. Brat," she mumbles that last part to herself.


 



*Time Skip: Still Soo Jin's POV*

"Soo Jin!" Jae waves me over to our spot on the benches.

"I didn't see you yesterday. What happened?"

"You didn't walk me home either," Fae shouted, adding her own two cents.

"I wasn't feeling too hot yesterday. It's all good now," I say giving a thumbs up. Ashley nods and gives me a hug.

"What had you down, SJ?" Lina Gi asks for Ashley.

"I was thinking about him." Ashley ran her hands through my hair and tears well up in my eyes again.

"I miss him so much. I'm so scared," I start crying for the second time this week.

"Scared of what?" Ashley asks, already knowing what I might say.

"What if they come back for me?" They all tense at my words. When they stayed silent, it felt as if another weight was placed on my shoulders. They don't understand.

"If you're worried about Taehyung, I have some sources-" Lina Gi looked at Fae meaningfully, "That say that it was Jonghyun's doing." My face flares up in wrath.

Jae noticed quickly and said, "My love, do not fret. It will all be over soon." She jokes, as if attempting to calm me down. I hear nothing. I see nothing. I feel nothing. Everything is red in seething hatred. Just as I was about to stand up and find that a**hole, Lina Gi held me back with the help of the rest of the girls. Ashley rubbed my hair and held me, whispering in my ear.

"Calm down. Violence does not get fixed with more violence. I'll tell the principal to expel him. Stay calm. I don't want you to run off only to make it worse." Her words put me at ease and I sit back down. I facepalm. How my friends can stand to be around me, I don't know. I was like a ticking time bomb. Cut the wrong wire and I'll explode.

"Please don't do anything you'll regret, Unnie!" Fae starts to sob out of nowhere.

"I'm tired of seeing you so distressed. Ever since that boy came here, you haven't been the same. You ignore us and walk off to do something else! Stop it! I don't like you how you're being right now!" Her loud cries reach my ears like a prayer.

I pull her into my arms and apologize, "I'm so sorry. I don't know what's happening to me these days. I'm SO, SO, sorry," I turn my head to look at the rest of my friends.

"I'm sorry to all of you, too. I've been acting like a jack***, I know. Forgive me?" I wait for their reaction, silently begging.

"Yah." Lina Gi suddenly demands in disgust.

"What happened to the strong, angelic, Soo Jin we used to know? This ain't her right now," I look at her, offended by her bold statement.

"Get up. Stop crying. We forgive you, but if you start acting like a crybaby, I definitely won't forgive you."

She scoffs and looks at the steadily weeping Fae, "Plus, that's her job."

"Y-yah!" Fae protests.

We all start laughing at her. Poor Fae. She always ends up getting laughed at.

"Thanks guys," I say, a bright, crescent smile on my face.

"To make it up, let's go shopping tomorrow. My treat," Fae squeals in excitement, practically worshipping the ground I walk on.

"Unnie~you're the best!" They nod and we start talking about a hot, new actor in Jae's drama. 

I already forgot what I was crying about.


 



*Jimin's POV*

I go to the hospital pretty early in the morning. It felt as if I owed Taehyung that much.

Knocking on the door, I hear his bored voice mutter a, "Come in." His expression brightens when he sees that it's me at the door.

"Chimmie! Hey! Come in," he points at the chair beside his bed.

"Did you miss me yesterday? Hah. I know you did," he smirks confidently.

"Be quiet you sick person! Yeah. I was a little upset yesterday. I guess I forgot," I rub my arm.

"Speaking of being upset, what happened to you?" I grimace at the bitter memories of yesterday.

"Well to start off, the day before yesterday, I kissed Soo Jin." He stared at me, mouth open, but still urging me to continue.

"She was mad, but she forgave me yesterday."

He shook his hands in front of me, "Wait! You have to tell me! How was it? How did it feel?" I blush and recount feeling her lips on mine.

"Amazing," was all I could say as he stared at me.

"Wow, Jimin. You move fast!" He exclaimed in admiration.

We laugh in unison and then I say, "That wasn't what made me confused though." Taehyung waited for me to continue.

"I found her crying yesterday." His eyes shine in melancholy. I could tell he was upset at this.

"I had to comfort her, but then she said some…strange things."

"What?"

I gulped and repeated, "She said something about taking back her mistakes. Apologizing, and then something about people getting hurt because of her." Taehyung's eyes widen.

"What does any of that mean?!" He places his hands on his face and drags them down in exhaustion.

"I don't know either, but after I asked what was troubling her, she gave me the cold shoulder and left." Taehyung sat back in the bed in thought.

"She sounds like she's hiding something. Something bad." I simply nodded at his truthful words. She was keeping secrets and they were something I wanted to know.

"That doesn't sound like her, though." I look up at him in puzzlement.

"She doesn't just brush people off. It must be something really troubling for her to do that." Why does he know so much about her? What does he know that I don't?

"How do YOU know so much? How do you know her better, huh?" I demand, beginning to get jealous.

"She just doesn't strike me as that type," he shrugs and continues, "She's been nothing, but kind to me since the day I got here." Calm down, Jimin. Taehyung wouldn't like her, right? RIGHT?

"Do you like her?" Now I was being more direct in my interrogating. He stares at me like I just lost my mind.

"She's my friend. I don't like her in that way, Jimin." I sigh in relief.

"God, you're scary when you're jealous, Jimin. I don't really know why you're jealous, though. I was just telling you what I know," he held his hands up defensively. He's right. Jesus, calm your nerves, Jimin. I rub my neck and apologize repeatedly. Taehyung laughs at me and I look up at him in playful anger.

"Yah! Stop laughing at me!"

"You're so dumb, Jimin!" He cackles and I punch his arm softly. Regardless of my soft hit, he grimaces in pain.

"What the hell, Jimin?! Why did you punch me so hard?! What kind of steroids are you taking?!" He looked at me accusingly and just raised my brow.

"I didn't even hit you hard, V. Do you want me to punch you for real?" The expression on his face made me laugh out loud. A mix of horror, mortification and anger were displayed.

"What are you?" He asked, in a serious tone. My face turned red from laughing so hard. I reached a point where you couldn't even hear my laugh anymore.

"V-V. Dear god. Stop acting so funny!"

He smiled at me, a genuine smile.