Chapter 32 FINAL: Fighting!

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 32 FINAL: Fighting

 


 

*Taehyung's POV*

Soo Jin's small frame disappeared from my sight. My heart sank like the titanic as I observed my gift on the table, untouched. Perhaps I had assumed wrong about her affections? She completely forgot it, as if were of lesser importance. I wonder why she would rush out in such a hurry. Even her backpack was left behind in her dash out of the class. I would have to give it back to her tomorrow.

The remainder of the students clamor into the room just as the bell rings. Mr. Lee clears his throat and begins class. Sigh. It'll be boring without her. My pencil taps as the teacher continues his lesson. People cough around me and I sigh again.

Deathly boring.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

"Mom? Why are you taking me early today?" She smiles and pats my head. "You are so forgetful. We have to pack. Remember?" I nod in realization. Right. How would I survive without my clothes and trendy shoes? Sarcasm implied. I was never big on fashion. Most of my clothing consists of Oxfords, jeans, button downs, and sweaters. Dresses and skirts weren't really my thing. They're uncomfortable and they limit your mobility. And don't even get me started on heels. Anything bigger than an inch and the ground will be my best friend. My mom was always nagging me for 'not being feminine enough'. Forget that! I'm gonna dress how I choose and no one can stop me! It's time to change the trend. Women don't always have to wear skirts and dresses to be pretty.

"Sooji!" My head springs in her direction. I spaced out for a while. I think Taehyung is rubbing off on me. "Come on! We're home! Go pack. We're going to the airport early tomorrow morning." She drags me out of the car and pushes me inside the house and points upstairs. Waving her off, I climb up begrudgingly. Time was passing too quickly for my taste. It was only so long until I would be on that plane on the way to somewhere unknown. At the time, signing up for that school seemed like such a good idea. But now…

Packing was easy and I was almost finished. I was about to leave to inform my mom of my progress when I stubbed my toe on a protruding object. Flinching in pain, I curse loudly and sigh. That was just the worst. Man up, Soo Jin. Puffing out some angry air, I grab the cursed thing. It was a frame with a picture inside. My chest constricts and my throat becomes raw. The image was of Hyunseung and I giving each other a small peck on the lips. We looked young and I estimate this was still in the early stages of our relationship. Those times were so full of joy.

The ground felt as if it was moving and I fell pathetically. Not even bothering to stand up, I allow myself to wallow in my memories. No one could ever hope to replace the hole he left in my heart. No matter how much I loved Taehyung, Hyunseung was a reminder of the real consequences in the world. My mom burst in the room after hearing the loud thump of me falling. Her face was enveloped in a cloud of worry. She picked me up and lied me on her chest. 

"Are you thinking about him again?" She asked, knowingly. Clenching my fist, I hold back my hiccups. No more crying. I was acting like such a weakling. Standing up, she gapes at me in confusion. Forcing a smile on my face, I clear my thoughts, "Reminiscing will only make me feel worse. Let's finish packing." My mom smiles brightly and embraces me. "It hurts. I know. Hyunseung was a good boy. Taehyung is too-" I grip her tighter as she mentions him.

"In life, lots of awful stuff happens. It might feel like the end of the world now, but the future is ahead of you." She kisses my cheek and giggles as she adds, "Plus, who needs some smelly ol' boys anyway? You are an independent woman who don't need no man!" I laugh at her use of memes. My mom was always there to brighten my day, no matter how crappy. We embrace again and I utter a small thank you.

I was truly grateful to have what I have.


 



*Lina Gi's POV*

WHAT?! She f***ing left and didn't say goodbye?! What a s***** friend! Ashley paced around the room like a madman. We were at my place simply yelling at the walls and ranting each other's ears off. Fae was the most affected by the news. She was groaning in rage and dragging her hands down her face. Soo Jin, thanks to Taehyung's account on the matter, left early. Today, we were supposed to give her a nice goodbye party, but that wasn't in HER plans. Nope. 

"Guys," Ashley's voice rang out with authority. "We can just ask her to meet up with us at the airport. No biggie." Leave it up to her to come up with the best plan. Fae visibly calmed down and she sat down in the lawn chair. Her face contorted into wonder as she wondered aloud, "What about Taehyung and Jimin?" "Huh? What about them?" Confusion was laced in my voice and the girls turned to me, stupefied. Jae laughed and pointed at me. What? Did they know something I don't?

"Taehyung and Jimin like her! Dummy!" Fae waved her arms in exasperation. "They do?!" This was completely new information to me. "How dense could you possibly be?!" Jae was seriously pissing me off. How was I supposed to know?! "This isn't important right now, but Fae has a point. They have the right to know." Ashley placed her head on her hands in contemplation. "Just call them then," shrugging, I suggest the most apparent solution.

"Good idea!" Jae whips out her phone and quickly dials Jimin's number. "SPEAKER!!!" Fae demands and we all simultaneously stand beside Jae. A groggy voice on the other line answers.

"Hello?"
"Jae here!" He groans and asks,
"What do you need?"
"Why do you assume I need something?!" Jae yells, angry at his accusation.
"I'm just asking. No need to get defensive." Jae is satisfied as she continues what she was originally saying.
"You know Soo Jin, right?" His voice perks up and we all smirk. Bingo.
"Yes? What about her?"
"She's going abroad in Germany."
"WHAT?!?!" She points the phone away from her ear. "He seemed a bit surprised," Fae whispers behind us.
"Yuppers~ In fact, if Ashley told me correctly, it's tomorrow morning." The line goes silent.
"Hello?" Jae wonders if the call ended.
"What time?" Jimin's voice sounds desperate and shifty.
"About 7."
"Okay. Thanks for telling me." He sounds disappointed and dejected. The call ends.

All of us are quiet, silently mulling over his behavior. "Soo Jin didn't tell him either," Jae states truthfully. "Poor Jimin-Oppa…" Fae sounds genuinely upset for Jimin. Those guys were hopelessly screwed. Soo Jin was endless hedge maze that was foggy and had glitches and paths that lead to nowhere. Not even her best friends, us, knew what she was thinking sometimes. And getting into her heart was even more difficult. Ashley interrupted the somber air and suggested, "Let's call Taehyung now." We all nod and she pulls out her phone. The only reason she has his number was because she found it in his school file. Student Council members had just THAT much power.

It rang a couple times when an unexpectedly deep tone rang out. I would never get use to that boy's voice.

"Hello~?" His question was more of a song.
"It's Ashley!" 
"Oh hello, Ashley-tan~" We all giggled at his adorable 4-Dness.
"Did you hear?"
"I don't know what I heard." 
"Soo Jin is going to study abroad." The other side is quiet. The same reaction. Oh, Soo Jin. Will you ever learn? This is NOT the way to make friends.
"I-I see. When is she leaving?" He was suddenly shaky and unsure. 
"Tomorrow. 7am." Ashley told him in a tone that spoke volumes. It was like she was daring him.
"I'll be there. What section?" Our jaws drop. I've never heard Taehyung so determined.
"Um, European flights."
"Soo Jin is just awful." We stare at the phone. He went from being desperate to see her, to hating her existence.
"I had a feeling she would do something like this. She wasn't acting in her right mind." Everyone is quiet, even Ashley. We allow him to continue his rant.
"Piano career probably. I'm happy for her, but she is so selfish sometimes. I wish she would be considerate to others." Taehyung's strange giggle rings into out ears. What is he doing now?!
"But I guess it's my fault for loving her." Ashley blubbers for words to say, but instead remains a fish out of water.
"Bye, Queenkas!!! Have a nice night." The phone beeps. No words are exchanged, but we are all probably thinking the same thing.

Taehyung is a LOT smarter than he lets on.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

The following morning comes and I'm awakened by the irritating call of the birds. Even after all this time, they were always here to greet me. Instead of cursing at them like I usually do, I just get up and begin dressing. I'll miss those dumb birds. Hopefully, there will be a new set in the dormitory I'm staying in. Purposely, I dress slow. This would be the last time in a while I would be waking in the comfort of my room. My mom opens the door, only to stand with a surprised look on her face.

"You're up already?" Nodding, I turn to point at the birds on my windowsill. "Thank them," chuckling, I finish buttoning up my shirt. It was a light blue, the color of the sky. She sighs at my choice of wardrobe. "Let me guess, white washed jeans?" Smiling, I shake my head. "I think I'll wear a skirt instead-" She grins but frowns when I finish "-But I'm still wearing my Oxford's." My mom slumps, defeated. 

"Alright then. At least it's something. Meet me downstairs for breakfast. Then we can go. And don't forget your bags." Making her way out of the room, I close the door and sit on the bed. The dusty picture of Hyunseung and I gravitating into my hands. Should I take it? My mind flashes back to Taehyung. No. I should move on. He would want me to. I gently place the frame on my empty nightstand, the picture now being the only thing on it. Sighing, I walk downstairs to eat. Soon enough, I would be in another country.

It was so overwhelming.


 



*Time Skip: Still Soo Jin's POV*

My mom walked me over to the instructor I met the other day. He was supposed to be escorting me. Apparently, students can't go on the plane alone. I suppose some really do need that sense of an adult's comfort. She embraced me and kissed my face all over. "Be safe! Have fun! Get good grades! Email me often! Don't forget about your friends! Kee-" I put my hand on and kissed her cheek. "Mommy," grabbing her shoulders, I reassure her. "I'll be okay. I don't know about you though…" I trail off with a mischievous smirk. "Hey!" We giggle and she gives me one last hug.

"My baby's growing up." She wiped a tear that escaped her eye. "Don't ever forget that your father and I are proud of you. Too proud. You've come a long way. Let's keep going a longer way." The instructor places his hand on my shoulders and smiles apologetically. "We should go. We don't want to be late." My mother nods and we wave as she disappears, now too far to see. As Ludwig and I make our way to the destination, I hear something. He stops and looks behind us. In the distance, I see two figures. "Soo Jin!!!" Two different voices yell out in the crowd and my heart clenches at the familiar people. 

Taehyung and Jimin.

I try to walk away, but Ludwig holds me back. He shakes his head disapprovingly. "Lesson one: face your problems head on." Gulping, I turn around bravely. They come closer and every step they take makes my heart beat faster. This is it. This is the exact thing I was trying to avoid. I blink back my tears.

Jimin is the first to reach me, his breath labored and his face drenched in sweat. Taehyung arrives shortly after and grins at me brightly. My heart skips a beat. That was the smile that turned my legs to jelly. Jimin stopped his heavy breathing and embraced me. I hugged back, regardless of his less-than-pleasant sweaty smell. "Soo Jin," he breathes out my name and my body turns hot. I don't know what to do anymore. The two boys that I harbor feelings for are standing in front of me and for once, I don't know what to say.

Taehyung is the first to break the silence. "Why didn't you tell us?" His tone is filled with hurt and Jimin steps back from me. He was wondering this, too. The response I want to give simply can't come out. I'm still in shock by their presence. Jimin urges me on. "I was afraid." Taehyung tilts his head in his cute manner and I blush. "Of what?" He inquires, curious. "I was afraid that I would change my mind. That I would stay." The shorter of the two crosses his arms and demands, "You really think we would try to make you stay?"

My mind is blank. This is not what I was expecting. Jimin, of all people, is the one I thought would be adamant on me staying. He loved me didn't he? Wouldn't he want me by his side forever? "I know how much you want- no, NEED this. I wouldn't stop you." He shrugs, as if it were obvious. Taehyung nods and gives me a tight hug. "I'll miss you. Don't forget about us, okay? We love you very much. I love you very much." The tears I was trying to hold can no longer be hidden. They fall and moisten Taehyung's white, school shirt.

Jimin joins the hug and I sniffle. He rubs my back soothingly. We stay this way a couple of minutes. The three idiots in the middle of the long airport hallway. Taehyung parts from us and brings out something from his bag. Jimin follows and I recognize these heart shaped cases as Valentine's gifts. Stupid. I forget Taehyung's yesterday! "You forgot mine, so I made sure to give it to you today." He grins and his eyes form small crescents. If there is something about Taehyung that no one could replicate, it was definitely his smile. It was just that special. Everytime he would give me that silly rectangular grin, I felt as if an angel had just smiled at me.

Jimin smiled as well and his cheeks expanded in response. "Here's mine. I made them with lots of care. Please eat them deliciously." Instead of bowing how I expected, he gave me another tight hug. He was just full of surprises today, huh? I looked inside and they looked wonderful. "Dark chocolate." Jimin smiled and blushed, scratching the back of his head. "I knew you didn't like milk chocolate, so…" I kiss his cheek in thanks.

Behind him, Taehyung pouts. "Where's my kiss?" I giggle and kiss him, too. They both grin at me. "I love you." They both say in unison. My heart melts in adoration. What have I done to deserve their love? I must have done something incredible in a past life to get this in return. I hear someone clear their throat. Ludwig points at his watch and I nod. It was time to say goodbye. "I'll miss both of you." Tears of joy and sadness collect and my voice chokes up. They smile in understanding and Jimin reminds me, "You can always call me." 

That reminds me…"Tae? Can I have your number?" He grins and types it into my phone. For the millionth time that day, my chest is tight and I wave to them. Ludwig and I walk away, me waving enthusiastically at them. "Bye, guys!!! I love you!!! Don't miss me too much!!!" They wave back and yell back in joy, our goodbyes never seeming to end. Some of the stewardesses had to practically force me on the plane.

Finally, Ludwig and I board the plane. He places our bags and luggage above us in a case. We sit down in our seats. I hear the pilot's voice on the intercom. "Fasten your seatbelts! We're about to lift off." Ludwig lays back and speaks to me softly, as if I were glass, "You did good. I hope you feel better after that. You're on your way, Mrs. Ahn." My phone vibrates and I open it to see a cute picture. Taehyung and Jimin are smiling with silly peace signs. The caption below it reads: 'Fighting!" A smile unconsciously makes its way onto my face.

Fighting!