Chapter 30: Opportunities End in Tears

The First Symphony

The First Symphony Chapter 30: Opportunities End in Tears

 


 

*Soo Jin's POV*

My mom called me downstairs. She was really disappointed in my situation. I ended up suspended because of the Jessica incident on the field trip. After the 'fight', my parents were instantly called and I went home. I didn't even get to say goodbye to my friends. Last night, we had a long talk about how she thought my trouble days were over with. I was done, but Jessica getting beat up had nothing to do with it. Jessica was simply touching something that didn't belong to her and that wasn't appreciated. We both were now sitting beside each other in the living room, her having a upset look.

"Soo Jin!!! Listen to me when I'm speaking to you!" She grits her teeth and I apologize profusely.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry mommy! I spaced out for a second. I'll listen now." I beg and she rubs her temples.

Nodding she asks, "You love your piano hobby right?"

Not understanding her sudden question, I inquire, "Of course, you know that better than anyone, but why ask?" Clearing she looks at me seriously. That look. My mom only made that face when something promising was going to happen.

"Do you remember that musical program you applied to in 9th grade?"

I tilt my head and she finishes, "One of the instructors is coming tomorrow. They're going to survey your abilities." Realization hits me like a ton of bricks.

"THE ONE IN AUSTRIA?!" Squealing I jump up into her space. She giggles and nods.

"WOOOHHH!!!!" I dance around like a mental person and my mom trips me.

I fall head first and she grumbles, "This kid." Grinning, she then begins to cry.

"Mommy?" She envelops me in her hold.

Sniffling and laughing, she whispers out, "I'm so proud of you, baby. I love you and wish you the best." My eyes moisten at this. Never would I have thought that my mother would be proud of me. I was always the bad kid that made her suffer. Have I changed for the better? Hopefully, the answer would be yes. We stay in each other's arms. The words she says next make my mood drop.

"I'll miss you, but I know this is for the better." My world twists and my stomach flutters. Of course, I forgot. The school was abroad. If I was accepted, I wouldn't see my friends ever again. The tears intensify when I realize: I would never see Taehyung or Jimin again. She pats my back as my sobs become even more agonizing.

"Baby? I thought this would make you happy?"

I nod into her shoulder, "It does, but t-there's p-people...that I..." I trail off, full of sorrow. Her eyes change into understanding. She pulls me back into her chest.

"I know how it feels, baby. You know, that's how your father and I were."

Tilting my head up, I whimper, "Really?" My mom's expression becomes melancholic.

"His mother forced us away. She didn't like me and they moved to another country." That's upsetting. I don't think I could be happy in that situation.

"And then what happened?"

"When he was of age, he left on a plane by himself to find me."

Gaping at her, I then reply, "You guys must have been in love."

"Is that how you feel about those boys? Would you go that far?" That made me think. Do I love them enough to protect him from anything? Yes. Do I love them enough to chase him to the ends of the Earth? Yes. Do I love them enough to give up my passion? I don't know. 

"Sweetie. Don't worry over it. You're still young. It's probably a simple crush. You'll get over it. Piano is more important." I remain silent and allow her to console me.

But all I could think about was how I would tell them.


 



*Jimin's POV*

School was a bore. Soo Jin needs to get back and fast. Jungkook wouldn't stop talking about her and Taehyung looked around like a lost puppy. The three of us were like a train wreck without her. I was especially moody and just pouted at everyone. Why was everything suddenly more unbearable when she wasn't here? Luckily, Soo Jin gets back next week and even more convenient, next week was Valentines Day. To imagine the amount of gifts and confessions she would receive would be impossible. Maybe I'll get a gift from a cute girl, too?

"Kookie!!! It's time for class!" Jin was yelling at us and the bell was, in fact, ringing. Today has passed relatively quickly, but I wish Soo Jin was here to smile and laugh with me. I sound like a love sick fool. All I ever talk about now is Soo Jin. Her actions recently have become more and more confusing, making me curious to what she's up to. Taehyung has been acting strange, too, but I'll assume that's the apple juice talking.

Also, Soo Jin fought Jessica. For what reason? She kissed Taehyung. I could understand how that could make you angry, but Soo Jin took it to another level. The poor girl was nursing two black eyes, a busted lip, bruised ear, broken nose and a lot more things I can't remember. She reacted like a crazed murderer. Had Taehyung not stopped her, Jessica would no longer reside on this Earth. She's desperate to protect Taehyung from bullies, boys, gangs and girls. Soo Jin would probably try to beat up demons if she had to. 

Why does she try so hard, though? 


 



*Taehyung's POV*

Soo Jin's suspension ended quickly and she was back to being her emotionless, but warm self. Maybe getting blood on her hands was what she needed? Gulping, I am scared at the possibility that she was a vampire. Is she? Maybe that's why she's so great at everything. Jimin came up behind me with a ecstatic look. What did he do?

"V~" Jimin is in one of his moods. When he starts singing his words and dancing his gestures, that's when you know something happened.

It must have been amazing because he brightened when I asked, "What's up with you, Chimmie?" He does a ballerina twirl and points to a large poster behind him. 'Valentine's Day Dance', with smaller words below it saying, 'Friday After School'. Why is this so important? 

"I'm going to ask Soo Jin to dance. Hopefully she'll say yes~" Ah. Soo Jin and I have been awkward. Recently, I've been breaking into cold sweats around her. I wasn't scared of her, but I would steer clear just to avoid these situations. Her and Jimin have been talking more as well. He told me that they talked over the phone for hours after school. It made me jealous, but then again, I was too shy to do anything about it.

Speaking of the devil, she just walked out of the school. She waves happily to Jimin and gives me a strange smile.

"Hey, guys."

"Hi~" Facepalming internally, I sigh at Jimin's pathetic display. How much more obvious could you get?! If Soo Jin didn't know his feelings yet, I don't know how else she would realize.

"Tae." I nod and stop my internal rant only to be met with an awkward silence. 

Jimin cleared his throat and asked, "Soo Jin, are you going to the dance this Friday?" Her frown deepens and her arms cross.

"Maybe. I have something important to do today, so I don't know…" His shoulders slump and he boos. She shrugs and begins walking away. This made me upset. The only word she uttered to me was my name.

"Tae."

What was that tone? Was she sad? Did I do something to make her mad? Maybe she was depressed? Why would she be depressed? Sighing, Jimin ignores me and rants on about how he should confess. I regret avoiding her now. She probably thought I was doing it on purpose. Well, I was, but not for the reasons she may think. Should I try harder? Or stop trying at all? Was this what love was like?

Even Algebra equations are easier than this.


 



*Soo Jin's POV*

I wring my hands together in anxiety. The teacher was going to be here soon to asses my abilities. This one performance would determine whether or not I would be accepted into this school. It was a world renown academy for only the elite music students. Supposedly, Bach, the famous composer, founded the school a long time ago. Whatever it is, I need to get into it. All of my dreams have been poured into this one goal and if I didn't get accepted, I don't know what I would do. 

The doorbell rings. It was time to do this. I rush to the door and observe my outfit. Did I look professional? The door rings again and I open it with clammy hands. I'm presented with a blonde man with glasses and a clipboard in his hand. He is immensely tall and has his hair slicked back with a stoic look on his face.

"Guten tag. How are you today?" His accent very strong and his voice deep. Maybe not as deep as Taehyung's, but it was manly. Yah!!! Now is not the time to think about Taehyung.

"I'm doing well," I motion my hands into my home.

"Please, make yourself comfortable." He complies and finds the piano and sits in the chair. What is he doing? Suddenly, a beautiful tune circles the room. I've never heard anything like it, and there is no denying he is talented. How will I be accepted when people like this exist?! But, this tune is not an original piece. He stops playing and turns to me in expectation.

"Which piece did I just play?"

I do not even have to think and reply confidently, "Fur Elise by Ludwig Van Beethoven." His face present a small smile and he nods, impressed.

"Good. Now I want you to tell me what this next piece is." The man plays another familiar tune and I cross my arms. 

"Etudes Tableaux by Sergei Rachmaninoff."

"Correct again! This is one of my favorite pieces to play. The sound is rich and each note is unique. Truly tasteful."

Nodding, I agree wholeheartedly, "Sergei was one of the best composers of his time." He turns and stands up to shake my hand.

"I'm relieved to have received such a well-versed student." For the first time, I saw his wide grin. My heart swells in pride. Knowing I made my teacher proud was a great feeling.

"My name is Ludwig Beilschmidt, your new teacher." He bows and I bow back.

"I am Soo Jin Ahn. I hope to make you proud."

He places his large hand on my head and says, "I hope you do, too." My mother bursts down the stairs with rollers in her hair and a bath robe on.

"I'm so sorry!!! I had to bathe! Was I too late?!"

Ludwig chuckles and shakes her hand, "Not at all. I was just about to grade her performance." He motions to the piano and I gulp nervously. Here goes nothing.

"This is an original piece by me. Please enjoy it."

*Yiruma- Because I Love You*

My mom clasps her hands against her heart and drifts left and right. The world around me is blank as I fill my head purely with the sound of the piano. The notes almost play themselves as my hands drift across the piano like a gentle wind. The song splays out my emotions like a story of love. Ludwig closes his eyes and listens deeply as the song progresses. Tears gather in my eyes and try to blink them back, but they instead fall down my face. This particular piece had to be composed and practiced in the span of a week. I got very little sleep and that allowed my creative juices to flow. All of this was just so I could pass whatever test this instructor was giving me. My heart was being poured into this piece wholly. If he didn't approve, I was doomed because this was by far, the best one I've created.

The song closed abruptly when he suddenly stated, "Stop." Stomach churning, I look up at him anxiously. Did I fail? Did he not like it?

"You said you created this piece, correct?" His voice was unreadable and I simply nod.

He smiles and confirms seriously, "You have a gift." My mother gapes at him and covers . What?!

"I've never had a student that composed their own piece. This is truly something incredible." Ludwig suddenly gasps when he sees my tears.

I wipe them pathetically and adds, "To think that playing has made you cry, it is wonderful. You felt every note and that is very good." He turns to my mother with an impressed look on his face. She opens and he puts his hand up.

"There is no need to ask. She is accepted to this school. The deans will be ecstatic to know that they have such a good student on their hands. And to think I have the privilege to teach her. She won't need to learn anything." My mother gasps a sob and embraces me. Our cheeks press together and I release my breath. I did it. Ludwig comes up to us and places a hand on my mother's shoulder. 

"Your daughter is musical genius. A prodigy. For someone of such a young age, she has a gift for the piano."

He turns to me and bows again, "I expect to have you soon. Please be prepared." We all stand up and we lead him to the door.

My mother inquires, "When will she be scheduled to leave?" Ludwig stops in thought.

"Well, for her, I believe they would prefer her as soon as possible. Will this Saturday be enough time?" Words catch in my mouth and my throat tightens. 

That soon? My mother chokes back another sob, this time of sadness.

"W-well, if that's best for her, then I suppose that will do." He nods and pats my back.

"Do not be so sad, darling. We allow our students to visit for the holidays. You will only be away a little while." His words aren't comforting whatsoever. All of us wave a goodbye and he drives away. The door closes and before my tears can become too much, I run upstairs and into my room.

I don't want to say goodbye. Not yet. This is too fast.