Down Hill

Crossroads

“Ah, Lee Jong Suk-ssi?” Shin Hye said looking at Jong Suk’s plastered face.

Jong Suk could not speak as he was surprised to see her and the most, she’s Woo Bin’s girlfriend. After contemplating the whole night if he likes her and finally decided to ask her out, he could not believe how fate played with his now broken heart again. The happy mood that he was in this morning has all gone and replace by disappointment.

“Ah neh, Park Shin Hye-ssi.” He said trying his best to smile. ‘Why are we speaking formally to each other?’ he asked to himself.

“You know each other? How did you know each other?” Woo Bin asked facing Jong Suk while helping Shin Hye removes her coat.

“He was the one who helped me bring a patient in the hospital. The accident that I told you about.” She seated beside Woo Bin. “So, you’re his best friend, what a surprise.”

Jong Suk still could not speak, all he can do is smile. ‘Yes what a surprise, just shoot me right now. How could this happen? The woman I like is my best friend’s girlfriend. I just wanna disappear right now, right here. Ah, why are you wearing that jean? Why are you so beautiful right now? Is it for Woo Bin? Of course you fool, she’s his yeoja. Ok, I think I’m going insane. Don’t look at her lips.’ Jong Suk is talking to himself.

“Yah! Jong Sukkie, are you alright? You seem lost in space.” Woo Bin snapped his fingers at Jong Suk’s face. “What are you spacing about?”

“Ah, nothing. It just happened that I was in the scene, so I helped.” Jong Suk said forcing a smile but not looking at Shin Hye.

Shin Hye noticed his awkwardness. “So, how did you become friends?” she asked raising his right hand to the girl in the counter for her usual ice Americano.

“Woo Bin-ah and I modelled together when we were in high school and college.” Jong Suk answered trying to feel comfortable.

“Because we got a lot of trouble every school vacation back then Ji Sung hyung made us joined one of their photo shoot. The photos were published in different magazines for advertisements and that’s when we started to get offers for ramp modelling too.” Woo Bin said while holding her right hand.

“So it all started at Leeshoppe. That’s Jong Hyun’s family business right?” she said looking at Woo Bin’s for confirmation.

“Yes. Jong Suk is the one handling the business now, since his father’s death. Oh yes, you don’t know yet, Jong Hyun and Jong Suk are brothers.” He said looking at Jong Suk.

“Mwo? Lee Jong Hyun? But if you’re the same age as Woo Bin, how did you become brothers?” she asked to Jong Suk surprised.

Jong Suk smiles at her. “We have different mother. When Jong Hyun’s mom died, my mom decided to adopt him. I think he was just 5 years old then. Though we have different mother, we grew up really close, our Appa made sure that we grew up recognizing each other.” He said looking at Shin Hye’s serious face.

“So that’s why, you look familiar when I saw you yesterday. I’ve seen you on the family picture that’s hanging on your house.” She said proudly like solving the mystery on Jong Suk’s identity.

Jong Suk chuckled. “You came to our house?” he asks.

“Yes. I was the one who checked on your mom when she fainted.” She said still looking amazed.

“So, you’re the doctor that Jong Hyun has been mentioning all this time. Ah jinjja, what a small world.” He shakes his head in disbelief.

“Aigoo, you two have so much connection that you didn’t know. You met without knowing that you knew the same people. And here I thought this meeting will be awkward.” He said leaning forward.

“I’m surprise myself too. What a coincident.” She laughs.

Jong Suk stares at her while Shin Hye and Woo Bin are staring to each others. ‘This is not a coincident, this is fate playing at me. Ah jinjja, of all the people why Woo Bin? Can someone please beat me now? Why do I keep on looking at her lips? Lee Jong Suk, you need to stop before your mind gets dirty.’ He said to himself.

Shin Hye noticed from her side sight that Jong Suk is staring at her. Yes, she’s a ninja, she can see 180 degrees. ‘What’s up with him? Why is he looking at me like that? He doesn’t seem to be a pyeontae. But he has such a lovely lips, like ducky lips.’ She said to herself and didn’t notice that she giggles with her thought.

“What is that?” Woo Bin heard her giggled.

“Nothing. I was thinking of what to eat this dinner.” He gives him a cute smile.

“Ah jinjja, your appetite is striking again.” He cupped her face with his hands and kisses her lips. “So, Jong Sukkie, why don’t you treat us for dinner? So we can catch up more.” He asked Jong Suk.

“Yes, no problem. What do you want to eat?” he asked shifting his sight from Shin Hye to Woo Bin. ‘This is torture. Why kiss her in front of me. Oh God, if you’re listening, please strike some lightning directly to me now or better yet send someone to get me out of this situation.’ He said spacing out again.

“Dinner? Can I join you?” a woman standing beside their table suddenly said.

Jong Suk was startled when he sees the woman. “Suzy, what are you doing here?”

Suzy sits beside Jong Suk. “Hi, I’m Bae Suzy. I was looking for you.” He said looking at Shin Hye and Woo Bin.

“Hi Suzy, I’m Park Shin Hye and he’s my boyfriend Kim Woo Bin.” Shin Hye said giving her a smile.

Jong Suk keeps on staring at Shin Hye while introducing herself and Woo Bin. God was so fast to answer his request but he was not expecting Suzy to be his answer. Suzy noticed how Jong Suk stares at Shin Hye.

“So, where are we going to eat?” she asked while grabbing Jong Suk’s arm. “Why didn’t you tell me that you’re meeting your friends.” She links her arm to his.

“What are you doing?” Jong Suk whispered to Suzy.

Woo Bin knew who Suzy is and noticed the annoyance at Jong Suk. He felt that he needs to do something to save Jong Suk from her. As Jong Suk mention earlier, he is not ready to deal with her. “Oh I forgot, I need to do something in the office. Jong Sukkie can you walk Shin Hye home for me? We’ll just have dinner some other time.” Woo Bin said giving Jong Suk the ‘just-go-with-it’ look.

“Wae? I thought you took the day off?” Shin Hye asked surprise.

Woo Bin squeezes Shin Hye’s hand and whispered. “I’ll tell you about it later, just go with Jong Suk. I’ll follow you in your apartment.” Woo Bin kisses Shin Hye in the lips as Shin Hye nods with what he said.

“Okay.” Jong Suk agreed to Woo Bin.

“Oh, can I just go with you then?” Suzy insisted as she holds tight of Jong Suk’s arm.

Shin Hye notice the look on Jong Suk’s face and she now understood what Woo Bin is trying to do. “Ah, you can’t. My apartment is a mess, you might get some allergy and my neighbours aren’t used to see a celebrity, they might mob you. Not safe for you.” She said trying her best to convince Suzy.

“Yeah, you should just go home.” Jong Suk agreed while pushing her hand away from him.

“Okay. Can you just drop me home instead?” Suzy asked Jong Suk.

“I’ll drop you home. They will just walk and I’ve my car with me.” Woo Bin said while calling someone on his phone. “Jong Kook hyung we’re going, we need to drop by Jong Suk’s friend first before we head to the office.” He ended the call and signal Suzy to stand.

“But you don’t know where I live.” Suzy is really persistent.

“You just need to tell my driver.” Woo Bin now grabs her.

“I’ll call you.” She said to Jong Suk.

Woo Bin and Suzy walked out of the coffeeshop and Jong Suk and Shin Hye left with both plastered face.

“So, she’s the one you were calling when you came rushing to the accident scene. So, model Bae Suzy is your ex?” she asked leaning her chin on her left hand that is leaning on the table.

“Yes. How did you know?” Jong Suk asked surprised.

“With your expression. You were so annoyed. Don’t worry I will not asked anything. We should go before she comes back.” Shin Hye gives him a smile.

Jong Suk smiles back at her. ‘Thank you God, I guess sending Suzy is a good idea after all. Miane, for doubting you.’ He said to himself smirking. He helps Shin Hye wear her coat and is walking behind her. Shin Hye looks to her sides and sees Jong Suk behind her, so she grabs his right arm and said. “You should walk beside me.”

 

Jong Kook and Woo Bin are driving Suzy to her house in silence. No one ever tried to speak, maybe because they both are not close to Suzy. Jong Kook didn’t even bother asking Woo Bin why they are going to the office in his day off. Though Woo Bin has met Suzy before, he never seem to like her that much.

“I think we met before, right?” Suzy breaks the silence.

“Neh.” Woo Bin answered coldly.

“Your girlfriend is beautiful. You might trust her so much to leave her with Jong Suk oppa.” She said trying to imply something.

“Neh.” He answered with a serious tone.

“Ah she’s lucky then.” She said looking at the window.

“I am lucky that she’s my girl. And I trust her so much that she won’t just disappear.” He said looking at her in the rear view mirror.

“Ah, Jong Suk oppa might have told you what happened between us. Now I understand why you’re so cold towards me. I don’t need to explain to you, do I?” she said arrogantly.

“No. I don’t really care about you and what happened to you.” He said in return.

“Ah, that’s harsh. But I like that, just being so honest.” He said raising an eyebrow. “You can just drop me here. I don’t wanna bother you more.” She said pointing in a corner.

“Hyung, it’s here.” He said to Jong Kook to stop the car.

“We will see each other again. Thank you for the ride.” She said getting out of the care and gives Woo Bin a fake smile.

“Yes, I’m sure we will see each other again.” Woo Bin gives him a fake smile too.

“Are we going to the office now?” Jong Kook asked Woo Bin before driving again.

“Ani. Drive me to Shin Hye’s apartment, and then you can go home.” He said pulling his phone and presses the number one.

“Are you home already?” he asked Shin Hye who is on the other line.

“Yes. We just got here.” Shin Hye answered while opening the door of her apartment.

“Ok. I’ll be there in a while, we just need to find a u-turn.” He said looking on the street.

“Arasso. Be careful.” She said and ended the call.

“Do you want something to drink?” Shin Hye asks Jong Suk while walking to the kitchen.

“Just water.” He said following Shin Hye. “Ah, you have a nice house. You live alone?”

“Here.” Giving him a glass of water. “Yes. My parents live in Busan, I’m the only one here in Seoul. But I don’t usually stay here. I spend most of the time in the hospital and I stayed at Yong Hwa’s apartment at times.” She said walking to the living room.

“Yong Hwa? Jung Yong Hwa?” he asks in surprise.

“Yes. We’re best friends. It is really a long story. Do you wanna have some dinner here? I will cook dinner.” she asks looking at her watch.

“Ah no, but thank you, maybe next time. I need to go anyway, my mom asked me to pick up something in the grocery store.” He said lying. ‘Yes, you should go this is better, but I want to taste her cooking. Ani, Woo Bin will be here too and it will not be good for your heart.’ He’s talking to himself.

“Ok, maybe I’ll invite the boys too.” Jong Suk looks at her surprise. “I mean the CNBlue boys.” Shin Hye smiles.

“Ah. That would be better.” He said in relief. “I should go now. Thank you for saving me there.” He said pointing at the door.

“Be careful.” Shin Hye said waving her hand to Jong Suk on the door.

Jong Suk left Shin Hye’s apartment with a heavy heart. He really wants to stay and chat with her more, but he needs to control himself because he knows that whatever it is that he wants with her will never happened. For him, it is better this way, better to put out the fire before he hurt himself more. If it is just another man, he will definitely pursue Shin Hye but it is Woo Bin, his best friend and he can’t compete with that. He’s starting to see the light after being kept in a dark room but seems like fate is playing with him. He just thought that maybe it is a sign to continue walking straight to find his happiness. He’s so lost in his thought that he didn’t notice someone is waiting for him at the lobby of Shin Hye’s building apartment.

“Oppa!” someone calls him from his back.

He turns around to look whose calling. “What are you doing here? How did you get here?” he said surprise to see the person.

“I’m waiting for you.” She said giving him a flirty smile.

“How did you get here? Did you follow me?” he said looking around.

“You know I’m smarter than anyone else.” She said proudly.

“Come with me.” He grabs her hand and drags her outside the building. “Where’s your car?”

“I really this side of you oppa, so bossy.” She said holding his hand tightly.

“Get in.” He said opening her car door.

“You like her, right?” she said looking in his eyes.

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking.” He said avoiding her eyes.

“The way you look at her. I know you like her but you know the two of you will never happened because she’s your best friend’s yeoja.” She said trying to make him mad.

“I told you not to see me again. What are you doing now?” he said trying to change the topic.

“Does she know that you like her?” she looked at his eyes. “Well I guess she doesn’t know. I wonder what will happened to them if Kim Woo Bin finds out that you like her girl friend. Which will be broken, your friendship with him or his relationship with her? I guess if he broke up with her, then you will be free to be with her. But that will be so devastating to him because I heard they are planning to get married.” She continues to provoke him.

Jong Suk could not take it anymore, his guilty conscience for liking his best friend’s yeoja is surfacing. He already decided to end whatever it is that he is feeling for her but with Suzy’s continues talking, his feelings for her are getting more deeper than he could imagine after just a day of meeting her. He has never felt this way to any woman after just meeting her. His clear mind earlier is now in confusion again. His feelings are getting more complicated. He doesn't want to hear anymore and he just wants her to stop talking. “Shut up!” He grabs her shoulders and kisses her lips.