Highway

Crossroads

Woo Bin found out that the emergency meeting that he needs to attend was planned by her mother to prevent him from coming to Busan to Shin Hye’s family. She planned to make Woo Bin busy the whole day, and she even asked some of the directors to invite Woo Bin for lunch and dinner.

Kim Jong Kook had a hunch that something isn’t in their right places as he overheard two of the secretaries of the directors talking on how to make the President busy. Jong Kook looked to this matter and found out what that the meeting is just a set up. He immediately tells Woo Bin about what he found out.

Woo Bin could not believe that his mom will go this far, even conniving with the directors to prevent him from seeing her girlfriend’s family. He’s not mad but upset because he knows how much his mom disagree with his relationship with Shin Hye. He waited for the directors to gather in the conference room before cancelling the so-called meeting.

He immediately asked Jong Kook to book his ticket to the earlier flight same with Shin Hye’s flight. He even made sure that he seats beside Shin Hye. He wanted to call Shin Hye but decided to just surprise her in the plane.

“Did you call Shin Hye to wait for you?” Jong Kook asked on their way to the airport.

“No. I want to surprise her. She was too upset when I told her I could not come with her. I’m sure she’ll be surprise when she sees me in the plane.” He said smirking with the thought.

“Your mom will be in rage if she finds out that you cancelled the meeting and went straight to the airport. She might even kills me for siding you.” Jong Kook said smiling with their victory over Woo Bin’s mom.

“She already know, so good luck on you hyung. She’s been calling me for a while but I don’t intend to answer her. I’m too upset with her moves. I’ll just deal with her when I get back.” He said looking at the window.

“Can I take a vacation while you’re in Busan?” he asked switching his sight from the road to Woo Bin.

“Wae? Are you afraid that she’ll going to kill you while I’m gone?” Woo Bin said jokingly.

“Yah, don’t say that. I’m just going to visit my girlfriend. I’m planning to propose to her. So I’m gonna take this chance while you are away.” He said smirking.

“Huh? Eun Hye nunna is in the country? When did she come back?” he asked curiously.

“She came last week. She’ll just stay here for two weeks and she needs to come back to Paris.” He said looking straight to the road.

“So, that’s why you always disappear last week. I thought you were just lazing around. But you were sneaking to meet Eun Hye nunna. Why don’t we plan a dinner with her and Shin Hye after Busan?” he suggested him.

“That’s great. She has not met Shin Hye, so she’ll be happy to hear that. I will tell her when I get home.” He agreed.

“If you’re gonna marry her, don’t you need to move to Paris? Hyung, I don’t wanna pressure but you can’t leave until Shin Hye and I are married.” He warned.

“We already talked about it and she’ll move here. She just need to wrap up her work there. Her agency agreed to transfer her here and she’s reviewing a new contract, that’s why she’s here. She asked me if I want her to stop her modelling career and I said no. She loves doing it, so why would I prevent her from doing what she loves, right?” he explained.

“Neh. I don’t to prevent Shin Hye from doing what she loves either but when we get married I want her to stop working, I just want her for me. But of course she won’t agree to it.” He said looking afar.

“Don’t even start with that argument because you will never win.” He warned him.

“Neh. Women are scary when it comes to their careers.” He agreed.

Woo Bin arrived in the airport and Jong Kook helped him to carry his bag to the departure area. They are walking along the Lotte Duty Free when he accidentally bumped to someone.

“Ah mian haeyo. Are you okay?” he said bowing his head.

“I’m sorry too. I should had look where I am going.” The guy said bowing his head too.

“Huh, Woo Bin-ah!?” Kang So Ra shouted.

“Huh. So Ra, Hae Jin hyung. What are you doing here? I’m sorry, I didn’t see you coming.” He said shaking hands with Park Hae Jin.

“It’s okay. I’m fine anyway.” Hae Jin said standing straight.

“What are you doing here? I thought you could not make it to an early flight?” So Ra asked curiously.

“Neh. The meeting ended earlier than I thought. So I rushed Jong Kook hyung to book me the same flight as you.” he said waving his ticket.

“Ah jinjja? Where is Jong Kook oppa? I have not seen him for a long time?” she asked looking at Woo Bin’s back.

“He’s checking in my bags. How was your trip hyung?” he asked courteously.

“So tiring. I just came and now I need to ride the plane again. Except for visiting her parents, I think this is the reason why So Ra didn’t wanna wait for me.” He said looking at her wife.

“I told you it will give you a headache.” She said rubbing his head.

“That’s why I don’t complain.” He said smiling.

“Okay, stop that I’m beginning to get jealous. Where is my girlfriend anyway?” he asked looking around.

“She’s in Starbucks. She’s still upset because you can’t go together. I’m sure she’ll be surprise if she sees you.” She said smiling.

“Ah, I wanted to surprise her but I don’t want her to get upset so I think I should see her now.” He said worriedly.

“Okay. We’ll see ate the boarding gate.” Hae Jin said tapping his shoulder.

Woo Bin is walking to where Shin Hye is when Jong Kook called him from his side.

“Woo Bin-ah! It’s all set. Just call me when you get back so I can pick you up.” He said catching his breath from walking around looking for Woo Bin.

“You don’t need to pick up us hyung, we’ll just take a cab when we get back. Just enjoy your vacation. By the way hyung, can I ask one more favor?” Woo Bin asked scratching his right eyebrow.

“Neh. What is it?” he answered.

“I forgot my backbag in the car. I don’t know if I will be able to it to her but the ring is in there. Can you get it for me? I will wait for you at the Starbucks.” He said shyly.

“Huh, you’ve been keeping that ring a month now, why don’t you just give it to her? Okay, I’ll get it.” He said before he left.

Woo Bin is near Starbucks when he heard a familiar laughs, just then he saw Shin Hye laughing with Jong Suk. He just smile with what he saw and continue to walk, but he stopped when he saw Jong Suk put his arm around her girlfriend’s shoulder. “What the hell?” he said and clutch his fish ready to walk to their place. But then he saw how Shin Hye smile at Jong Suk, it’s different from how she smiles at him. Something inside him feels pain, is it jealousy? He stopped on one of the billboard standing in the middle of the airport and just watched what they’re doing. His right fist is still closed like ready to punch anyone who will touch him.

He was standing there for 10 minutes now and still trying to figure out what his best friend and his girlfriend doing. Are they cheating on him? Why do their skinships are so natural? Why is Jong Suk touching his Shin Hye? He still trying to listen to his rational mind that there is somewhat a reason for what he’s seeing. He was about to walk away when Jong Kook came with his backbag.

“Ah, Woo Bin-ah, what are you still doing there? I thought you went to see Shin Hye. Here’s your bag. Eh, is that Jong Sukki?” Jong Kook said looking to where the two are sitting. He was about to walk to their place to say hi when Woo Bin grabs his arm.

“Hyung, book me another flight this afternoon.” He said still holding his arm.

“Wae? I’d been to a lot of trouble just to get your ticket to this flight. Why book another one?” he asked curiously.

“I forgot something in the office. I might not be able to get back here on time. So, let’s go back to the office and just book me another one. Arasso?” he said in a commanding tone.

“Okay I get it. But why are you acting like that?” he asked following Woo Bin who started to walk his way to the exit.

“Mian hyung, but could you please stop asking me and do what I told you?” he said not even looking at him.

“Did you have a fight with Shin Hye? You should just settle it now before she leaves. Or is it about your mom?” he asked eagerly but Woo Bin gives him an eye. “Arasso, I’ll stop talking now.” He said putting his hand up like surrendering.

Woo Bin walked away without talking while Jong Kook was following him puzzled why he suddenly acts like this. For what Woo Bin is thinking? He only knows.

 

Meanwhile at Starbucks, Shin Hye and Jong Suk are still busy talking when the two flights for Busan has been announce for boarding.

“Ah, that’s my flight.” Shin Hye said looking at her ticket.

“Ah mine too. I guess this is the time that we’re supposed to break up. So, unfortunately that we couldn’t be on the same plane.” He said smiling.

“I need to go and look for my brother and his wife.” She said standing from her chair.

“Neh. I need to get back to there too, Jong Hyun is waiting for me.” He said pointing at the VIP lounge. “Will I be able to see you in Busan?”

“I don’t know, maybe if fate will allow it. But I doubt it. Bye.” She said waving her right hand to him.

Jong Suk suddenly pulled her to him and gives her a peck on her left cheek that shocked Shin Hye and rushed the blood to her cheek. “I think I deserve a kiss before we break up.” He explained his action.

Shin Hye just smile and didn’t say anything. Well, she actually don’t know what to say or how to react with that kiss. She made her way to find his brother and left Jong Suk smiling widely. For him, this is the start of everything, he is all ready to fight for her especially now that he is sure that she likes him too. ‘Don’t worry Shin Hye, fate is always at our side and I’m going to make sure that it stays on our side.’ He murmured to himself and walk his way to the VIP lounge.

“Hyung, what took you so long? Where’s my water?” Jong Hyun asked while standing from his chair.

“Ah neh the water. I got thirsty on my way here trying to get through your fans, so I drank it. Ah jinjja your fans are awesome. They even thought I was a celebrity when I wore my shades.” He said shaking his head.

“Ah jinjja hyung.” He said scratching his head.

Just in time when Shin Hye was about to step out of the coffeeshop his brother and his wife came.

“Huh, I was just about to look for you.” Shin Hye said grabbing her bag.

“And we’re here to get you. Where’s Woo Bin-ah?” he said looking around.

“Mwo? I told you, he’s not going to make this flight. He’ll take the afternoon flight, so we’ll just see him later. What’s wrong with you?” she said puzzled.

“Ani. We just saw him earlier in the entrance. Right yeobo?” he asked his wife.

“Neh. He said he finished his meeting early to catch up in this fight because he wants to go together with you.” She explained.

“Ah jinjja? But where is he?” she said pulling her phone on her bag.

“What?” her brother’s wife asked curiously?

“He’s not answering.” She said and tried again.

Shin Hye tried to call him for like five times but no one was answering. She’s starting to get worried and even thought of not taking the flight and look for him when her phone beep for a new message.

“Mian. I forgot to do something in the office. I will see you this afternoon. Have a safe flight. Saranghae.” The text message said from Woo Bin.

“Who is it?” Hae Jin asked curiously.

“It’s Woo Bin. He said he forgot to do something in the office so he went back. He’ll take the afternoon flight.” She said while replying.

“Ah keure? You make me worried again. I thought something happened to you when you didn’t answer. When oppa told me you were here earlier and didn’t see you I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I miss you already. Be careful. Saranghae.” She texted.

“We need to get on board before the door closes. Kaja.” He said and hold his wife’s hand.

Shin Hye was following them and she received another text message from Woo Bin. “I miss you too already. Call me when you get to Busan.” The text said.

Shin Hye replied. “Neh. Call me too when you’re leaving. Have a safe flight later.” She texted.

 

Inside the plane, Shin Hye is chatting with her sister-in-law about her life in San Francisco with her brother. They’ve been married for a year but they still don’t have a child. They decided to have a child after their second year of marriage, at least that’s what they decided before getting married. Hae Jin wanted to settle her wife first living in the States and enjoy their married life alone for two years. He’s a busy surgeon, so he wanted to spend as much time to his wife before adding another one who will take half of his time.

“Did you meet a lot of friends in the States?” Shin Hye asked looking at her sister-in-law.

“Neh. Most them are our neighbors and believe me they are all nice and helpful. Especially on my 1 - 4 months there. Your brother will leave early in the morning and I will be left alone, some neighbors will come to our house with foods and snacks to keep me company.” She said excitedly.

“Ah jinjja. That’s great. Oppa really found a good neighborhood.” She commented.

“Neh. On my first month there I needed to asked help on how to go to grocery store and the market. And they all ready to lend a hand. But the woman next door Lee Min Jung unni, is the one I really got close to. I sometimes go over their house and teaches me some cooking.” She said smiling.

“Ah, I so wanted to see your new house. I think I will asked Woo Bin to visit you after his China project.” She said envious.

“Yah. You always say that you’re going to visit but you never go. You’re always busy with your work.” She said tapping her hand.

“I know. But I really wanna go this time. I wanna meet all your kind neighbors too.” She said smiling at her.

“But it’s so sad.” She said pouting.

“Waeyo?” she asked worriedly.

“Before I came here, Min Jung unni told me that his husband Lee Byung Hun oppa is cheating on her.” She said sadly.

“Waeyo? How did she know?” she asked curiously.

“A strange caller always calls his husband at midnight. One night when her husband got home, he left his phone on the bed side table and went for a quick shower. Min Jung unni was collecting his dirty clothes when his phone ring. She didn’t bother to look at his cellphone but it kept ringing, so she stood up and took the phone from the table and she the caller is saved as ‘no answer’.” She said glancing to her husband who is sitting on the second row to his right.

“Did she answered it.” She said curiously.

“No. She just put down the phone and left there ringing. She went to another to cry because she already know that her husband is cheating.” She said nodding.

“How did she know when she didn’t even answer phone to know if it is a woman?” she asked unconvinced.

Hae Jin’s wife turns her body to face Shin Hye. “Well, she told me that when a men are cheating they tend to change or saved the number of their mistress into weird words, like ‘can’t answer’ or ‘don’t answer’…” she was not able to continue her story as Shin Hye holds her hand.

“Wait, did you just say ‘don’t answer’?” she asked trying to remember on where did she encounters those words.

“Yes. It’s just an example. Wae?” she asked curiously.

Shin Hye now remembered the day when Woo Bin got back from China and when she and Yong Hwa were talking in the kitchen and Woo Bin’s phone rang.

-FLASHBACK-

“Yah! Why don’t you just answer it? It might be important and it’s annoying already.” Yong Hwa said annoyingly.

Shin Hye stood up and walked to the living room where the phone is laying on the table. She checks on the screen and a name ‘Don’t Answer’ appears as the caller.

‘Eh, why is it saved as ‘Don’t Answer’? She asked herself and having a second thought if she should pick it up or not but Yong Hwa gave her an eye as it keeps ringing. She finally picked up the phone and answers it. “Yoboseyo?”

“Wae?” Yong Hwa asked looking at her.

“I don’t know. The line is dead already when I answered it.” She said while putting the phone in its original place.

“Ah jinjja. Why did it kept ringing when no one was answering and the line just died when someone was answering.” He said and drank his coffee.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

“Yah Shin Hye, are you okay? What is it?” she asked while shaking her hand.

“Eh, nothing I just remembered something. Why would they change it with obvious name?” she said trying to compose herself.

“Not only that, sometimes they also saved it as a man’s name that their wife or girlfriend are not familiar with. And they will say that he’s a new friend that they met at work or at school.” She said nodding her head.

“Ah jinjja? Huh, that’s really unfortunate for your friend.” She said trying to sympathize.

“Yes. I feel bad for her too. You know what I did as soon as your brother came home? I took his phone and check all the name in his phonebook.” She said smiling.

“Did you find something?” she asked curiously.

“Yes. And that is I made the right decision marrying your brother because he’s a truly one woman man.” She said giving her a cute smile.

“Hey, what are you two talking there?” Hae Jin asked poking his head from his seat to look at the two woman.

“I’m just telling Shin Hye how much you love me and I made the right decision to marry you.” She said giving him a cute smile.

“Is that so? I’m happy to hear that.” He said giving her back a cute smile.

“Ah jinjja, will you two stop that. It’s irritating.” She said shaking her head in jealousy.

“You’re just jealous because Woo Bin is not here.” He said sticking out his tongue to .

“Oh yes oppa. Can I meet my friend over a coffee this afternoon?” her wife asked happily.

“Okay. Just don’t get to engross on catching up and remember that we will eat dinner together in the house.” He reminded her.

“Gomawo oppa. Ssinz, why don’t you come with me so I have someone to knock my head when I’m too engross already?” she asked clasping her hands with hers.

“I don’t know. I need to get Woo Bin in the airport this afternoon.” She said pulling her hands from hers.

“Then just take Woo Bin with you.” She suggested.

“I’ll ask him later.” She said smiling.

 

On the other plane, Jong Hyun is trying to catch a sleep. He’s been busy these past few days that he can’t hardly get enough sleep. He’s been spending his time in the studio with the three boys. They are more pressured this time around because they decided to write all their songs in their album and produce it as well. It will be more hectic for them as soon as the album has launch, so he needs to catch a sleep when he can.

On the other hand, sitting next to Jong Hyun is the almost lost in space Jong Suk. He’s been quiet since they step in the plane, not because his brother is sleeping and he doesn’t have one to talk to. But it’s because he’s thinking hard and planning his next step to get near Shin Hye.

‘Should I visit their house? Ani, that’s inappropriate and they will have a family celebration, so it’s not okay to just barge in. Huh, but she agreed to be friends, so it’s okay to visit a friend in their house right? Ani, it’s not when you have other intention, and her boyfriend will be there. Ah, what should I do then?’ he said to himself and suddenly turn and saw his sleeping brother beside him.

‘Should I make Jong Hyun as an excuse to get to their house? Ani, that’s not right, you can’t do that. Ah jinjja, I think I’m going crazy again.’

“Hyung what are you murmuring about? Will you keep it down please? I’m trying to get some sleep.” Jong Hyun said while shifting his head to his right.

“Jong Hyun-ah, do you know where Shin Hye’s parents’ house is?” he asked with the half asleep Jong Hyun.

“Neh. Wae?” he answered not moving from his position.

“Are you invited to her parents’ wedding anniversary?” he asked turning to face Jong Hyun’s head.

“Neh. Eomoni invited all of us. I think Jung Shin will go with Yong Hwa hyung. Min Hyuk and I will go together.” He answered moving tilting his head.

“Can I come with you?” he asked that made Jong Hyun shift his body to look at him.

“Do you wanna come? Wae? You’re not even close to her parents.” He asked looking at him with his serious face.

“That’s why I want to go with you, to be close to her parents and her brother.” He said truthfully.

“Wae? Wae? You’re not even close to Shin Hye herself.” He asked puzzled.

“Well, I’m starting to get close to her and my next step is to get close to her parents. And this is a great opportunity to do so.” He said proud of his great thinking.

“Wae?” he asked still puzzled but thinking hard. “Sesang-e! Hyung, don’t tell me you’re…?” he said not finishing his words.

“Neh. What you’re thinking is right.” He said confirming the unfinished words of Jong Hyun.

“Shin Hye was doctor you’ve been talking about? All this time Shin Hye is the girl?” he said shaking his head in disbelief.

“Neh. She’s the one.” He confirmed.

“But hyung, she’s Woo Bin hyung’s girlfriend. They’re going to get engage soon.” He reminded him.

“I know. But they aren’t engage yet, so I still have a chance to change her heart.” He said with no hesitation that his true feelings had been revealed to his brother.

“This is trouble. There are a lot of girl in this country and in the world, why Shin Hye? Can you just find someone that is available and go in this complicated situation?” he suggested.

“Jong Hyun-ah you can never dictate your heart. It’s fate that brought me to her.” He explained.

“Fate? There’s such a thing as that?” he asked still confused.

“Neh. Actually, when I found out that she’s Woo Bin’s girlfriend I tried hard to ignore my feelings and to get away from her but we always meet by accident. Remember when I asked you to have a drink with me?” he asked his still confused brother.

“Neh. When we saw Yong Hwa hyung?” he answered.

“Neh and she was there too with Yong Hwa. I asked you to have a drink to forget my feelings but how can I do that when she was there by accident?” he explained.

“Hyung that was just coincidence. They were there to drink too.” He tried to reason out.

“What about when Bo Young nunna asked me to visit Hwi Jae hyung? She was there too, and I didn’t even know that she’s close to Hwi Jae hyung. She even cooked for us.” And this vacation of mine? I took this vacation to get away from her but she’s here too. We will be in the same city again.” He explained further.

“But hyung, what about Woo Bin hyung? He’s your bestfriend.” He reminded him again.

“I’m willing to sacrifice that friendship for her. I’m planning to talk to him anyway.” He said revealing all his plane to his brother.

“Okay, this is enough I don’t want to hear anymore. I don’t wanna be part of this complicated situation.” He said truthfully.

“Who said I’ll drag you to this complicated situation? I’m just telling you because you’re my brother. Pabo-ya!” he said giving him a cute face.

“Now I need an excuse not to go on that party. I don’t know how to face Woo Bin hyung. Why did you even tell me this?” he said scratching his head.

“Because you kept on asking.” He said smiling.

“Ah jinjja. I even gave you Ssinz’s number. I’m so gonna lose my mind.” He said slapping his head.

“Don’t worry, you can do to that party with Min Hyuk. I will find a way to get there. Fate is on my side anyway.” He said proudly.

“Sesang-e, I don’t wanna be in the same room with the three of you. Does Shin Hye knows about your feelings for her?” he asked but immediately take back his question. “Ah, don’t bother telling me, I don’t wanna know the answer. Ah jinjja, I thought suppressing my feelings for her for the longest time will keep the trouble away and now you? I don’t even wanna imagine what will happened if Woo Bin hyung finds out.” He said revealing his true feelings for Shin Hye.

“What did you just say? Your feelings for her? You’re in love with Shin Hye too?”