Intersection

Crossroads

It's 6 o'clock in the morning and Shin Hye is walking her way to Rosie's Coffee and Baked, a coffeeshop owned by her friend. It is always her daily routine to pass by the coffeeshop and get her hot or iced americano before and after her day at the hospital. She always stay there for a few minutes to chat to her friend, Krystal Jung. Although Shin Hye is 4 years older than Krystal, they become really good friends when they met in New York 3 years ago. Shin Hye was attending a medical seminar, which her brother insisted that she should attend and while Krystal is her brother's neighbor. Shin Hye returned to Korea after the 5 months seminar and training to continue her residency. They kept in contact until Krystal decided to move to Korea and start a baking business. Krystal stayed with Shin Hye for 3 months until his cousin Jung Yong Hwa, yes, they are somewhat related that shocked Shin Hye too, found her an apartment.

"Good morning unni." Krystal hand her, her hot americano.

"Good morning. Thank you." they walk to the nearest empty table.

"It is early in the morning but you already look exhausted unni. Did you not get enough sleep last night?" Krystal stared at her face.

"Ah, neh. I couldn't sleep last night. Are my bags visible?" she asked feeling her lower eyes with her index finger.

"Not really. You're still pretty anyway." Krystal tease.

"Aish, this girl." she drinks her coffee.

"I am going to have dinner with Yong Hwa oppa and Min Hyuk oppa tonight. Wanna come with us?" Krystal gives her a pleading look.

"Ah, I want to but I can't. I have a late night ship." she pouts her lips.

"Oh, that's so sad cause I really want you to come." she pouts her lips too.

"Aish, you just want me ther to stop Yong Hwa from teasing you and Min Hyukie." she twitches her lips.

"Am I too obvious? Cause you're the only one who can stop oppa." she smiles at her.

"Ah, should I just take the day off? I am too sleepy." she yawned and drinks her coffee.

"So why couldn't you sleep last night?" she looked at Shin Hye curiously.

"Woo Bin proposed to me last night." she drinks her coffee again.

"Ah jinjja! Congratulations unni. he finally get his mom's approval." she said excitedly while holding Shin Hye's hand.

"We don't have his mother's approval, that's why I didn't say yes. He just asked that question out of nowhere." she let out a sigh and force a smile.

"Ah, that's sad." she pouts her lips. "Why don't you just get married without his mom knowing? I mean, you are in age to do that." she said convincingly.

"Ani. I don't want that kind of relationship. You can never be happy with a lie. I am wondering what I should do for her to like me." touching her head and thinking hard.

"The old woman only care about money and connections. So, either make a connection with Queen Elizabeth or try to win the lottery and build your own hospital. If you do any of that I'm sure she will even fill up your marriage license for you." nodding her head with her idea.

"Ok. You need to help me rob the Bank of Korea beacuse none of your idea will be possible for me. Ah, I'm so hopeless right now." she sips her coffee.

"Don't worry unni, I'm sure Woo Bin oppa has a better idea." tapping Shin Hye's hand.

"Neh, I'm sure he has." she let out another sigh.

"Oh, I know. Just get pregnant. She will never have a choice because you're going to carry her grandchild." she smile widely at her.

"Wow, seriously? You and Woo Bin has the same level of thinking. This is not New York. No getting pregnant before marriage. Aish... this girl." she twitches her lips at her.

"Oh my god, so I am not the only person who is not normal here, oppa too. Miane unni, I always forget where I am." raising her palm to Shin Hye.

Shin Hye's phone reminder alarms and a notification appears on her screen. She grabbed her phone from the table and read the message.

"Oh my god. I forgot that I have an appointment at 7, I will be late." she looks at her watch and it says 6:43am. She put her phone on her bag and grabs her coffee.

"Be careful unni!" Krystal shouted at her.

Shin Hye was walking fast to the door avoiding the chairs and tables on her way. Her phone is ringing, and she is trying to grab it from her bag that is hanging on her right arm and holding the cup of coffee on her right hand while walking her way to the door. Suddenly, a man wearing a black Nike 9" phenom shorts and a  black Nike rain runner jacket and a black cap with headset on both ears, he probably just finished running from the near park, bump to her on the door. The man opened the door but because Shin Hye was busy looking for her phone, she didn't notice the man on the door. The coffee that she was holding spilled to her and to the man, while she made a hold tight to her bag so it didn't leave her arm.

"Yah! why aren't you looking on your way?! Look what you've done! Ah, so hot." the man shouted at her.

"Oh, I am sorry. I didn't see you coming. Chongmal, mianeyo."Shin Hye bows her head three times.

"Yah! Ah jinjja, look what you've done to my clothes!" the man kept on shouting that made the other customers to look at them.

"Yah, ajussi! I already apologize, if you don't wanna take it then it's your problem. And I am not the only one who was not looking , because if you were, you should have seen me coming and avoided me instead." Shin Hye said on her defense.

"What did you just call me? Ajussi?! Ajussi?! You rudely witch!" The man shouted in nager.

"Mwo? A witch, me?" Shin Hye fan herself with her left hand.

Krystal walks toward them to stop the argument cause all the customers are looking at them already, and they are already making a big scene with their shouting.

"Unni, you should go, you're already late for your appointment." Krystal interrupted.

"Yah, we're not done here yet." the man shouted.

Shin Hye walks fast away from the man and before she close the door, she turn her back and stick her tongue out to the man, its like saying 'you deserved it'.

"I apologize in behalf of my friend... ah, Jong Suk oppa?" Krystal was startled to see the man causing a scene with Shin Hye.

"Yah, you don't know how to choose a friend." Jong Suk said while wiping his face with a napkin.

"Why are you wearing that? Where is your suit?" she hands him more napkin to wipe his arm.

"I just came from running on the park. And I think its a good thing I am not wearing my suit today or I will be in a real mess." Jong Suk said forcing a smile.

"Ah, just let it go oppa, you were not looking either. Let's have a sit over there, your coffee is free today." she smiles at him.

"Oh, thanks to your witch friend I will have a free coffee today." he smile teasing her. "Wae? Why are you staring at me?"

"Oppa, I only had not seen you for I think two weeks but it seems like you've aged." she's staring at him trying to figure out what happened.

"Aish... you too? Jong Hyun said the same. I think its my face hair and my lack of sleep." he scratches his chin.

"Ah, you're right. You really need to shave and rest." she's nodding like she solved the mystery of Jong Suk's face. "I guess you won't go to the office today." she siad pointing to his clothes.

"Neh, I took a day off. I'm going straight home after this." she smiles at her.

"That's great, so you can rest. Now, I need to go back there and get your iced coffee latte." she pointed at the counter.

Shin Hye is almost running her way to the hospital while glancing on her watch. Her pink dress has stain of coffee all over, and can't help but to hiss everytime she remember what happened at the coffeeshop. She enters the hospital and walk straight to the doctor's lounge to change her dress, good thing that she always keep extar clothes on her locker. She was about to go in the changing room when her phone notification beeps. She hurriedly pull out her phone on her bag to read the message.

"Dr. Park, this is Dr. Yoo, I am really sorry but I can't make it today, I have an emergency  to attend. Please make a reschedule for me. Thank you." the message read.

"Aish, seriously Dr. Yoo." she sighs and sits down on a chair. "I guess it isn't my lucky day." she look at her dress and sigh.

She stayed sitting on the chair lost in her thought feeling miserable. She went early to meet Dr. Yoo cause he said he has something importatnt to tell her but he cancelled on the last minute, maybe that is why he was calling earlier. She stands and decided to change her clothes first to lessen her misery when her phone rings.

"Nunna, I send you our address, please come quickly." a shaky voice on the other line said.

"Lee Jong Hyun? Wae? What happened?" Shin Hye asked worriedly while putting her stethoscope in her doctor's bag.

"Eomma fainted and have trouble breathing." a now panic Jong Hyun said.

"Ok, be calm. I am on my way." she ended tha call, grabbed her bag and run outside the door.