Connecting Road

Crossroads

Jong Suk went straight home after visiting Lee Bo Young. He promised his mother that he will eat lunch with her in their house. His mother cooked his favorite kimchijjigae and deokbokki.

“Thank you for the meal. Ah, I miss these food. I’m so full, I think my stomach is going to burst.” He commented after eating.

“I will prepare you some tea.” His mother said smiling with content while cleaning the table.

“Thank you eomoni, you’re the best.” He said giving his mother a kiss on the forehead. “I’ll go to my room first.”

“Okay. I’ll just bring the tea to your room.” She said tapping his back.

Jong Suk went up to his room and walked straight to his study table to check the financial reports that Ji Sung sent him earlier. He checked the figures and tried to analyze them but he couldn’t focus. He read the reports for the third time but still he could not understand a thing. But why is that? He’d been doing this thing since he can remember but why can’t he focus? He can’t seem to forget Soo Hyun’s proud face when he introduced himself. He can see it on the paper that he’s reading and on the screen of his laptop.

Wait, is he in love with Kim Soo Hyun now? Of course not, because last time he check he’s still in love with Park Shin Hye. Busted! Yes, he admitted it to himself, he’s still love her. He didn’t really moved on because the hope of seeing her again someday never left his mind even for a second. But why is he thinking about Soo Hyun instead of her?

“Ah, he’s really annoying. ‘I’m her boyfriend nice to meet you.’” He said imitating Soo Hyun.

How did she get into another relationship that fast? Does she fall that easily? But she doesn’t seem to be that way because she has a lot of guy friends. Does she really love him? How can he focus when all these questions are going around his head?

“Ah Shin Hye-yah you’re really driving me crazy. How did you fall for that guy? I know he’s good looking but…” he can’t seem to find a reason to continue his sentence.

“Adeul, I told you to rest.” His mother exclaimed coming in with the tea. “You’re overworking again that you’re starting to talk to yourself. It’s creepy, you know.” She said putting the tea on the table.

“I’m not working. I’m actually trying to work but I couldn’t focus.” He said helping her with the tea.

Mrs. Lee seated on his bed. “Come on. Tell me what’s bothering you.” She said giving him an eye.

“It’s not that important.” He said turning his glance over the tea in his hand.

“It’s better to talk to me than talking to yourself. Come on, I’ll listen to it. I heard Dr. Park’s name.” she said with a grin. “So, what about Dr. Park?”

“Wait. Do you know? Jong Hyun told you, didn’t he? Ah Jong Hyun-ah, aish.” He said with a click in his mouth in disbelief.

“I know a lot of things son, so come one give it a try. I won’t say a thing if you want, I’ll just listen to.” She smiles. “So, you met Dr. Park already. How did it go?” she asked curiously.

“She’s dating Kim Soo Hyun now.” He said just sighing his bitterness. “Eomma, how could this happened? I mean how could she just fall? I’m such a fool, why didn’t I just call her with those time that I was tempted to?” he asked letting it all out.

“Can I tell you something?” his mom asked. “I know you already heard this but I just wanna tell you this again. Things happened for a reason, and they happened in the right time. Do you really love her?” she said giving him a warm smile.

“Eomma, I’ve never felt this way to anyone. I’d been into relationships but it’s different with her. Just seeing her makes my heart race and just hearing her makes grin like crazy. I really thought that I could forget her with all those months but when I saw her again, all the feelings came back. And now, I’m really upset and disappointed to the point that I want to beat myself until I get tired and fall asleep.” He explained clenching his teeth.

“Ah, the feeling of love. Did you know that I was engaged to someone when I met your father?” she asked with a smile remembering her late husband.

“Of course. You told us that story when Jong Hyun and I started dating. But you were not in love with the guy. Harabeoji set you up to marry that guy for power and money.” He said drinking some tea.

“I know. I just want you to know that because of your father’s persistence and loyalty, he was able to convince father to marry me.” She explained.

“What are you trying to say? That I should not give up on her?” he asked confused.

“It’s all up to you son. You should continue if you feel that there’s something in for you there or you should give up if you can no longer bear the pain. You will never what’s in the end of the road if you will stop driving.” She said giving him a comforting smile.

“What do you mean? Do you know something?” Jong Suk asked curiously.

“Let’s just say I’m acquainted with Dr. Kim’s mother. We’re spending time lately with the charities and lunches.” She said giving him a mysterious wink.

“Well, I’m not planning to give up anyway. I will definitely see the end of it.” He said confidently.

“Good for you then. Lee Jong Suk fighting!” her mom cheered before leaving.

 

Shin Hye and Soo Hyun are on their way back from the wedding of her friend Park Soo Jin and his senior Bae Yong Joon. Shin Hye has been quiet the whole drive to the wedding and now she’s being quiet again, that Soo Hyun noticed. He didn’t wanna say anything before because he knew what makes her this way but could not helped it as she is now talking to herself.

“Is he the guy? Lee Jong Suk-ssi?” Soo Hyun asked out of nowhere.

“Neh.” She said getting back to her mind. “Ah jinjja oppa, why did you have to say that you’re my boyfriend? Aish!” she said with her annoyed face.

“I didn’t know that he was the guy. I only figured out when I saw his plastered face. I wanted to take it back but my pride was on the line.” He explain feeling really sorry. “Chankaman. Do you still love that guy? Why are you suddenly acting like this? Yah, Shin Hye-yah I just wanna remind you that you promise to help me out while I’m figuring out how to say to my mom that I’m not ready to settle down.” He reminded.

“Oppa, it doesn’t matter if I still love him or not. I’m out, I didn’t wanna agree with this in the first place you were just so pitiful when you came to me begging. Like I told you, you just need to stand up and tell her that you will live your own life the way you want it. I’m sure she’ll understand that because she’s a kind heated woman. She just worry about you because you’re so focus in your work and you don’t date.” She said with no barrier.

“Wait, why are you saying like that, like you know what eomma feels? Did she talk to you?” Soo Hyun asked curiously.

“Neh, she called me. I told you that she won’t believe it. She even scolded me for agreeing with your plan.” She said.

“So, you told her that we’re just pretending? You should have told me so I didn’t act like nervous every time. Thinking that eomma made someone to follow me to confirm our relationship. Yah, Park Shin Hye-ssi, was that your revenge?” he said turning to look at her with his serious face.

“Mian.” She apologized putting her right hand up. “So, oppa I’m breaking up with you and I hope you find a girl that you would truly love.” She said teasing him that made Soo Hyun laugh.

“Huh, I could not believe that I was caught up with my own game. Eomma is really smart.” He said proudly. “I think I should still thank you for doing this, at least my mom now knows what I want.” He said giving her a warm smile. “And if want me to help you with Lee Jong Suk-ssi, just tell me and I will take back what I said.” He offered.

“Ah, just buy me some ice cream.” She said sighing.

“You want to eat an ice cream with this weather? Yah, you’re going to catch a cold. Let’s just drink coffee.” He offered.

Soo Hyun drove to the coffee shop where he met her this morning. Few people are walking the street because of the cold weather.

“Ah, it’s great to drink hot coffee with this weather.” Soo Hyun said while entering the café. “Shin Hye, isn’t that Lee Jong Suk-ssi?” he said pointing to a man in the corner alone.

“Neh. What is he doing here? Is he waiting for someone?” she asked curiously.

“Let’s find out.” Soo Hyun said and grabbed her hand.

“Ahm unni, what are you doing here? I thought you went to your friend’s wedding?” Krystal asked seeing Shin Hye.

“Neh, we just got back. The shop is full tonight, there’s not even a single table left.” Shin Hye said looking around the busy surrounding.

“People tend to drink hot coffee when it is cold.” Soo Hyun commented. “Ah, Lee Jong Suk-ssi. I keep seeing you here. Can we share a table with you?” he asked politely.

“Ah..?” Jong Suk asked in shock but light up a smile in his face when he sees Shin Hye. “Neh, of course.” He said offering a chair to her.

“Unni, will you have the usual?” Krystal asked giving Jong Suk his coffee.

“Neh. Gomawo.” Shin Hye said while sitting across Jong Suk.

“Is it really okay if we share a table with you? You might be waiting for someone and we don’t wanna… you know.” Soo Hyun said trying to tease Shin Hye.

“Yah! You should have thought of that before asking him. Let’s just have a take out. Mianhe.” Shin Hye apologized ready to leave her seat.

“No, I’m not waiting for someone, so it’s okay.” Jong Suk said who grabbed her hand to stop her from leaving.

Soo Hyun was just looking at them the whole time. He can’t help but notice the different smile on Shin Hye’s face as well as Jong Suk’s face.

“Jong Suk-ssi, aren’t you the ex-boyfriend of Bae Suzy?” Shoo Hyun asked looking at Shin Hye who’s giving him a confused look. He just nod at her and smile, telling her that he knows what he’s doing.

“Neh. How did you know? Ah, you probably know Suzy.” Jong Suk asked and answered his own question too.

“Actually, I got engaged with her too. The fixed marriage thing? But thank God I got out of it. I just remember that your name came out when I made a background check on her. Are you still acquainted with her?” he asked stealing glance at the serious Shin Hye.

“Neh, it was a long time ago. I didn’t know that you’re the Dr. Kim that she was talking about. I saw her last month in Osaka with Lee Min Ho.” He said glancing at Shin Hye but she caught his eyes.

Shin Hye immediately turned her eyes to Soo Hyun and just in time for their coffee to be serve.

“I heard Lee Min Ho’s mother oppose their relationship so he elope with her.” He said giving Shin Hye her coffee. “How about you? Do you have a girlfriend in Japan? I heard you stayed there for quite some time.” He asked curiously while looking at Shin Hye, who is giving him deadly glare.

“No. I wished I could have found a girl there but it was impossible.” He said now looking seriously at Soo Hyun.

“Wae? You must be really picky.” Soo Hyun commented.

“I am not but it’s because I left my heart here.” He said turning his eyes to her who is busy stirring her coffee.

“Huh? So you have a girlfriend here?” he asked looking at him with his surprise look.

“Ani. I actually like someone but she happened to be with someone then. So it was impossible for us to be together so I just left but my heart stayed here.” He said honestly still looking at Shin Hye.

Soo Hyun noticed how he looks at her when he was talking to him. The longingness in his eyes are evidence of how he missed her but still trying his hard to hide it.

“Is she married?” Soo Hyun asked pretending not to know anything.

“Ani.” He shortly answered.

“Then why don’t you pursue her? It might be your chance to get her.” He advised.

“But I don’t know if he likes me too, the way I like her.” He said.

“How will you know if you won’t try? You might find that she likes you too but just waiting for you to make the first move.” He pretended to cough for Shin Hye to move up her head and caught Jong Suk’s eyes staring at her. Soo Hyun saw it and smile. “Women are like that, they like someone but too shy to make the first move so we men need to be sensitive when it comes to that.” He explained.

“But what if she’s with someone else?” he asked turning to look at him.

“As long as she’s not married you are free to pursue her. You might be surprise that she’s just waiting for you to come and get her.” He said giving him a mischievous wink.

Jong Suk is puzzled by what he just said and remember what his mother told him earlier. Will he still say that if he knew that he was talking about this girl in front of him who’s his girlfriend? Jong Suk was about to say something when Soo Hyun’s phone beeps.

“It’s Dr. Yoo.” He informed Shin Hye. “I need to go to the hospital now. Why does he always call when you’re in an important conversation?” he said sighing. “Jong Suk-ssi, can you talk Shin Hye to her home? It’s late and it’s dangerous for her to walk alone.” He asked him politely.

“Yah! I can take care of myself. I always walk in this street and there aren’t many people walking the street.” She protested.

“That’s the main point, there aren’t many people walking so it’s dangerous for you to walk alone. And I’m sure it’s okay with Jong Suk-ssi, right?” he said waiting for Jong Suk answer.

“Don’t worry, I will make sure she’ll get hope safe.” Jong Suk assured him.

“I will see you tomorrow then.” He said giving her a mischievous grin. “By the way, sorry about earlier, I didn’t know.” He said to Jong Suk before disappearing.

The air suddenly becomes quiet as soon as Soo Hyun disappeared. No one wants to say anything. Shin Hye is busy looking at the quiet street while Jong Suk is just staring at his now cold coffee.

“Oppa, are you just going to stare at that coffee? Here let me replace that with this.” Krystal said giving him another cup of hot coffee. “Unni, here’s a muffin for you and stop staring at the street. You look like strangers waiting for at each other to leave the table.” She said noticing the awkwardness surrounding the two.

“Can I just take that out? I’m going home.” Shin Hye requested.

“Just leave it here.” Jong Suk said giving Krystal an ‘okay’ smile. “Can we talk for a while?” he asked to Shin Hye who’s pretty amazed by his action.

“Okay.” She answered while sitting properly to face him.

“What happened? I’m really confused and I don’t know what to think anymore. Before I left, you were planning to get married to Woo Bin. And on the day I was leaving, you broke out. And now, you and Dr. Kim? How did it all happened?” Jong Suk asked letting it all out.

“About Woo Bin and I, people and things change and we couldn’t cope up with those changes so we decided to go on our separate ways. We got engaged because we thought that we could just ignore those changes when we’re already married but we could not. That day in the hospital made me realized that I could not ignore the changes in me and same goes for him. So when we had a talk we decided to just let go of each other’s hand before we start hurting us more.” She explained.

“Then why didn’t you call me?” he asked still confused.

“I didn’t have any reason to call you. And I wanted to deal with it alone.” She added.

“Fair enough. But what about Dr. Kim?” he asked still in disbelief.

“What about Dr. Kim?” she asked trying to act innocent.

“How did you two get together? Why are you together?” he elaborated.

“I told you earlier, we went to our friends’ wedding.” She answered testing his patience.

“Yah! That’s not I meant. Why are you his girlfriend?” he asked now really annoyed.

“Ah that together. Can we just talk some other time? I’m really tired and I just wanna go home and rest.” She said faking a yawn.

“Aiisshh… I won’t let you go anywhere from here until you answer me.” He warned with a smirk of annoyance.

“Arasso.” She agreed and drinks her coffee. “It was a lie. That’s why he apologized before leaving. I was pretending to be his girlfriend because his mother wanted him to be in a fixed marriage. But his mother found out and called me and because she’s been nice to me ever since, I couldn’t really lie to her so I told her the truth.” She explained with a teasing smile.

“So, you’re not really together?” he asked making sure that he heard her right.

“Didn’t I just answer that question?” she said trying to provoke him and he gave her a warning look. “Yes we are not together, if that’s what you want to hear. Can I go home now? I still have work in the morning.” She said sulking.

“No. Just sit there.” He ordered.

Jong Suk just stared at her for a couple of minutes still trying to digest everything. So this is what her mother and Soo Hyun were talking about, now he understands. He now rest his back on the chair but his eyes are still fixed on her, but Shin Hye couldn’t look at him and continue to drink her coffee.

“Shin Hye-yah, you really drives me crazy. Did you know that I was so excited that my heart almost jump from my chest when I heard that you didn’t get married, and I was so happy when I accidentally saw you this morning? I suddenly remembered our first meeting and thought that it could be fate, but then got broken hearted again when Dr. Kim introduced himself. I could not do anything right the whole day thinking about you and really annoyed to Dr. Kim. And mad to myself for losing you again, that I wanted to beat myself to death.” He explained remembering his day after meeting them.

“Mianhe. I didn’t know. Can we just continue this some other time?” she asked yawning.

This time she’s not faking it, she’s really tired and sleepy and Jong Suk felt that so he stood up to walk her home.

The walked to her apartment is very quiet, though Jong Suk tried to open some topics but because of her tiredness she barely talk and just gave him a hum or a nod to answer. She was yawning all the way while Jong Suk was grinning like a lunatic watching her yawn. She sulked every time she caught him staring at her grinning while she yawn. When they reached her apartment, Jong Suk tried to enter too as Shin Hye opened her door but she stopped him.

“Can I have a water? My throat suddenly felt dry.” He said while faking a cough.

“Yah! I’m a doctor and I know you’re just faking it. Go home, it’s really late and I’m really, really tired.” She said looking really sleepy.

“Arasso. I will see you tomorrow then.” He said giving up.

“Wae?” she asked curiously.

“Do I need a reason to see you?” he asked teasing her but she put on a serious look. “I’m going to bring you lunch in the hospital tomorrow and we will eat together.” He said grinning.

“You know that I won’t fall for that right?” she said copying his grin.

“I know because you already fall for me.” He said walking closer to her. “But I’m still doing it and I just want you to know that you can never get away from me again.” He whispered to her ears that put a tingling feeling to her body. “I will see you tomorrow. Get a goodnight rest.” He said and suddenly steal a kiss on her lips.

Shin Hye was surprise so he push him away. “Yah! What do you think you’re doing?”

“Wae? You don’t like it?” he asked with a full smile in his face. “Then I’m going to return it.” He said and surprised her with another kiss on her lips. “See, I returned it. Now we’re even.” He said after pulling away.

Shin Hye can’t help but smile with his naughtiness. She didn’t even attempt to argue because she likes it too. “How can that be even?” she asked now smiling.

“Right it’s not even.” He said walking closer to her again.

“Wae? What now?” she asked covering her lips with his hand.

“You said it’s not even, so steal a kiss from me and then return it. That way we’re even. I’ll pretend that I don’t know you’re going to kiss me.” He explained and closes his eyes.

“Yah!” she said and pinches his cheeks. “Go home before I knocked that naughty head of yours.” She said pushing him away.

“Apeu! You’re so strong, you almost rip out my cheeks from my face.” he said rubbing his cheeks which are now red as apple. “Jalja.” He said finally walking away.

“Neh. Be careful.” She said giving him a warm smile.

“Neh.” He answered still can’t take his eyes off of her.

 

The next morning, after doing her rounds in the hospital Shin Hye went to the doctor’s lounge where he saw Soo Hyun who spent the night there after his duty last night.

“Are you going?” she asked lying on one of the bed across where he’s lying.

“Nope. I don’t know how to face eomoni after what you said last night.” He answered facing the ceiling.

“Just tell her that you’re sorry and that you don’t wanna get married yet. She’ll understand.” She advised.

“It’s easy for you to say because she likes you and she will never get mad at you. Ah, I’m so embarrass of what I did.” He said putting a light punch on the wall.

“Neh, you should be.” She commented teasing him. “Ah, baegopa.” She said holding her stomach.

“It’s 11 o’clock, let’s go and eat lunch.” Soo Hyun offered turning to face her.

“I can’t. I need to wait for Jong Suk, he wants us to eat lunch together.” She said looking at the ceiling smiling.

“So now you’re dating?” he asked curiously.

“Mwo? Of course not, it’s just lunch.” She said but the smile is not leaving her face.

“Neh, just lunch but you keep on smiling like that.” He said sitting on the bed. “Ah love really makes you look like a fool, smiling just thinking about him. I think eomoni is right, I should start dating, and I might even have a free lunch or dinner every day.” He said enviously.

“Dr. Park, someone is looking for you in the hallway. He’s really handsome and tall and looks like a model.” A female nurse inform her over the door.

“Okay, gomawo. Isn’t he too early?” She said.

“Ah, your lunch is here, he must be so excited to see you. Go on and enjoy it.” Soo Hyun said and dropping his body on the bed. “And stop ginning like that, your lips look like they are going to rip any moment.” He said and Shin Hye throws him a pillow.

Shin Hye is walking excitedly on the hallway when he saw a familiar guy standing, facing the glass wall with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. The guy turns when he heard the footsteps coming near him.

“Shin Hye-yah!” Woo Bin shouted while walking his way towards her.