Stop Over

Crossroads

Jong Hyun woke up early to meet Yong Hwa at the studio to help him in composing songs. He packed his stuffs and headed down stairs to look for his mom. He looked everywhere their house but her mom isn’t there. He walks to the back door and sees her mom standing and looking at the different colors of roses lining over her garden. Jong Hyun called her mom and her mom suddenly turns around. Jong Hyun was shocked when he just saw her mother fainted. He run fast to her, she’s conscious but having some trouble breathing.

“Eomma! What happened?” lifting her and carried her inside the house to her room.

Her mom could not answer and just pressing her chest and closing her eyes to catch her breathing. Jong Hyun pulled out his phone from his pocket and dialled her mom’s doctor, but he couldn’t get hold of him. He is already panicking and shaking and doesn’t know what to do. He browses his phone’s contact and dialled Shin Hye’s number.

Shin Hye came fast, like a ninja going to a war. She pressed the door bell and Jong Hyun hurriedly let her in. He led her to where his mother is.

“I told you I’m fine. I just lost my balance when I turned around.” Her mom said avoiding Jong Hyun’s eyes.

“Eomma, I saw you faint and have some trouble breathing. I called Shin Hye to check on you, so don’t be stubborn.” Jong Hyun said firmly to his mom.

“Let me check you eommoni, so he won’t get worried of you ah? It won’t take long anyway.” Shin Hye convince her.

Shin Hye took out her stethoscope in her bag and begun checking her heartbeat and her breathing, while Jong Hyun is standing beside the bed watching them. His face started to lighten when Shin Hye gives him a smile.

“How is she?” Jong Hyun inquired after Shin Hye finished.

“She’s fine. She just needs some rest.” Shin Hye answered while putting her stuffs back to her bag. “Eommoni, are you by any chance worrying of something? I mean, I don’t wanna barge in to personal matter but I think you’re not getting enough sleep that;s why you fainted and its anxiety attack that’s why you were having trouble breathing.” Shin Hye asked worriedly.

“Ani. I think I’m just exhausted from cleaning the garden early this morning.” Mrs. Lee defends.

“Eomma, I know you were worrying about hyung this past few weeks, that’s why you were having trouble sleeping, but I told you that he’s coming back today so you can stop worrying and feeling sorry.” Jong Hyun said firmly to his mom.

“I know son, but I can’t help it when I know that your brother is suffering.” His mom said and a tear fell from her left eye.

“Oh, eommoni please don’t be like this or you will end up getting sick.” Shin Hye hugs her and caresses her back.

“Eomma, I already told you, hyung is doing fine. You don’t need to feel sorry for him. You know that he doesn’t like that.” Jong Hyun said reaching for his mom’s hand.

“I know. Miane Dr. Park, and thank you for rushing over here.” She said while rubbing her tears in her eyes.

“You’re welcome eommoni. Now, I will give you a medicine so you can sleep for now. You don’t need to take them after this.”Shin Hye pulled out a sleeping pill from her medicine box in her bag.

Shin Hye handed her the pill while Jong Hyun hands her a glass of water. After Jong Hyun settled her mom on her bed, he grabs Shin Hye’s bag from her hand and walks her downstairs. Shin Hye was admiring the big house and Jong Hyun can’t help but smile at Shin Hye’s cute gestures. She literally has opened and her big round eyes wide while looking at the different paintings on their way, she feels like she is in a museum.

“By the way Shin Hye, what happened to your dress? Is that the new trend?” Jong Hyun asked looking at her dirty dress.

“Aish, don’t even remind me. I got an accident at the coffeeshop this morning.” She said sulking while remembering the argument she had.

“Come on, I’ll drive you home.” Jong Hyun offered.

“Ani. You should be with your mom. I need to go back to the hospital anyway.” Shin Hye said.

“With that dress?” Jong Hyun said pointing out to the dress.

“Neh. I have extra clothes in the hospital, so I’ll just change there. Just call me a cab.” Shin Hye insisted.

Jong Hyun called his brother to tell him about their mother before calling a cab for Shin Hye. Even though their mother told him not to tell his hyung about what happened to her, he decided to tell his hyung, to let him know how their mother had been worrying since he left home. Jong Hyun waits for the cab at the front gate with Shin Hye.

Jong Suk rushed home after hearing that their mother fainted. His brother didn’t give him details about what happened. He just said that their mom fainted and that she’s ok now. Jong Suk stepped out of his car and saw Jong Hyun in front of their gate.

“Yah, what are you doing here? Who’s looking out for eomma?” Jong Suk shouted to Jong Hyun who is about to go inside.

“Oh hyung, good thing you’re here. I just waited for Shin Hye to get on the cab.” He said putting his right hand around Jong Suk’s shoulder.

“Ah, so unfortunately I wasn’t able to meet her. Did she check on eomma? Why didn’t you call Dr. Yoo?” he said opening the front door.

“I did but I couldn’t get hold of him, that’s why I called Shin Hye.” He said looking to his brother.

“Good thing you have a nice doctor friend. I should see eomma.” He taps Jong Hyun’s back.

“I think you should wash first. Eomma might get a heart attack seeing you like that.” pointing out to his brother’s face and clothes.

 “Ah you’re right. By the way, are you going somewhere?” Jong Suk noticed that his brother is dress up.

“I was going to meet Yong Hwa hyung in the studio to finish some songs, but I texted him that I couldn’t come.” He said.

“You should go, I will stay with eomma. Just be back at 3pm because I need to meet someone at 4pm.” Jong Suk said giving his brother permission to go.

“Ah jinjja hyung? Gomawo, I will be back at 3pm, should I buy food for dinner? Eomma should not exhaust herself by cooking dinner.” Jong Hyun said concern.

“No, I will buy it after my meeting.” He said assuring.

“Ok. By the way, eomma is sleeping right now. Shin Hye gave her a pill for her to sleep.” Jong Hyun informed his brother and walked out the front door.

 

At the hospital, Shin Hye had a tough day. Her patient, Mr. Kim is not cooperating well to her. He tried to sneak out of the hospital because he insists that his broken arm is already ok and he can play baseball already. And just this afternoon, Woo Bin called to tell her that he can’t make it for dinner because he will have a dinner meeting with the Chinese investors for his hotel expansion in China.

“If I don’t know you better, I would think that you’d been starving for days.” Dr. Kim said mesmerized by Shin Hye’s appetite.

“I’m having a tough day. This is like my breakfast and my lunch. I couldn’t eat my lunch earlier because I was busy looking for Mr. Kim.” She said while munching a piece of kimbap.

“Yes, I heard he tried to escape again. Why don’t you just let him out?” he said while opening her bottled water.

“His wife begged me not to let him out because he’s going to play baseball again and will end up hurting his self more.” She said while drinking on the bottled water that Dr. Kim just opened for her.

“So, what time will your shift end? I’ll be out by 4pm.” He asked while slurping his ramyun.

“Ah, I envy you for that, I need to be here until 2am. I don’t even know if I can make it until 11pm, I am too sleepy. I am even sleepy while I am eating right now.” She said putting down her chopstick.

“Ah, should I just stay here then until 2am and help you?” he said teasing her.

“Ah, will you do that for me?” she said giving him a cute puppy look.

“No.” He laughs.

“Yah! You!” she sulks while pointing her spoon to his face.

“Seriously, I want to stay and help you but I’m going to meet my mom.” He explained.

“Are you going to convince her again not to marry you to your fiancé who haven’t met yet?” she smirk to .

“Don’t give me that smirk. I really don’t wanna marry someone that I didn’t even meet. I don’t even know if I am going to like her. I heard that she’s a spoiled brat. What should I do to cancel that engagement?” he looked at her with serious eyes.

“Marry someone else. That way your mom will stop forcing you to meet these girls and get engaged to them. When I think about my relationship with Woo Bin, I really envy you for being rich and having all these connections, but when I think about you, I am really glad that I am not rich and I don’t have these connections, it’s just hard by looking at you miserable.” She eats another piece of kimbap.

“Will you marry me then? Come on, I will talk to Woo Bin. I will even pay you and introduce you to my parents connection, and when my mom stop minding my business we will get divorce and you can marry Woo Bin, with his mother’s approval.” He said convincing her.

Shin Hye almost spit the kimbap in . “Yah! Kim Soo Hyun! Do you wanna die right now? Why don’t I just kill you now so there’s no business of you that your mom need to mind? What do you think of me ah?!” she hit him with her spoon.

“But it is your idea that I should marry someone.” He said rubbing his arm right hand that Shin Hye hit.

“Why do you guys always come up with these weird solutions with your problem? Hay jinjja. I should get some air.” She drinks her bottled water and stands.

“Where are you going?” he stand from his chair too.

“It’s still my break, I’m going to the coffeeshop and drink a lot coffee so I won’t get sleepy later.” She heads out.

“Wait for me, I will walk with you to the bus station I didn’t bring my car with me.” He runs to catch Shin Hye, who is walking so fast.