Check Point

Crossroads

“Ah, I suddenly felt like breathing the air outside. Let’s go out for a while.” Woo Bin said offering his hand to Shin Hye.

“Who called? Why didn’t you answer it?” Shin Hye said suspiciously.

“It’s eomma. She’ll just nag me for coming here. You know how she is, she doesn’t want me coming here.” He said giving her a smile.

“Is that so? You think I should go meet her and get close to her? I mean, if we’ll just wait for her to like me without giving it any effort, we will just be stuck here in this situation.” She explained.

“You already did your best and I don’t want you getting humiliated by my inconsiderate mother. We will get married whether she like it or not. I just need time to make plans on how to do it. I made a promise to your parents and I will never break it even if my mother is against it.” He said in a serious tone.

“It’s just making feel sad that we have to go through this. It makes me feel that I’m lacking when it comes to you.” She said with sad eyes but not looking at him.

Woo Bin seated on the bed beside her and put his arm on her shoulder. “Don’t say that, you are more than enough for me. We will get through this together. We already made her agree to our relationship we just need to wait a little more to make her agree to our marriage.” He said and kisses her head.

“Well I guess there’s nothing that I can do then but to trust you, whatever that you’re planning. All I want is to be by your side forever.” She said tilting her head to kiss him.

“Let’s go outside and breathe some fresh air.” He said standing up.

Woo Bin has been trying his best to get his mother’s approval to marry Shin Hye. He even threatened his mother that he will elope with Shin Hye is she didn’t agree but realized in the end that it will Shin Hye that will suffer if he do that. Sure thing that his mother have a lot of connections that can make their life miserable, especially Shin Hye.

Shin Hye on the other wanted to meet his mother and have a talk but she doesn’t wanna go against Woo Bin. She had tried to be close to her after she agreed with their relationship but ended up humiliated by her, and Woo Bin doesn’t want that to happen again.

When Woo Bin and Shin Hye reached the porch, they saw Hae Jin sitting on one of the four chaired coffee table, talking on the phone.

“Who were you talking to?” Shin Hye asked sitting on the table beside her brother.

“It’s work again. Even he’s on vacation his phone never stop ringing. Sometimes I wish they never invented the phone.” So Ra answered coming out of the door with two cups of tea on her hands.

“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help it.” He said getting the cup of tea from his wife.

“So, you’re like appa after all.” Shin Hye commented smiling to his brother.

“I’ll get you tea.” So Ra offered.

“Gomawo. You marry a really nice wife.” Shin Hye said giving So Ra a satisfied smile.

“When eomma and appa sit in here to get some fresh air, Ssinz and I always fight on who will sit on that swing.” He said pointing on the swing on the other side. “She will cry hard when I sit on it and appa will always carry her and sit her on his lap. Sometimes I wonder that she just cry because she wanted appa to carry her.” He said looking at Woo Bin.

“So, you were always a daddy’s girl.” Woo Bin said turning to look at Shin Hye.

“Neh. Appa was always busy in the hospital work. I was just able to see him when he goes home to change or to get something. I guess I just missed the way he carried me in his arm when I was a little girl.” She said reminiscing the old days.

“Don’t worry, I’ll always carry you in my arms from now on, even if you’re already grown up and even if it breaks my back.” Woo Bin said in his sweet voice.

“Yah! Are you saying I’m heavy?” She said hitting his arm.

Woo Bin and Hae Jin laugh at the same time with Shin Hye’s sulky face.

“What are you two laughing at?” So Ra said coming back with another set of cup of tea in her both hands.

“Shin Hye’s sulky face. I miss that face. I think you two should visit us in San Francisco when you get the time in your hectic schedule.” Hae Jin said helping his wife to sit beside him.

“Even if we visit you there, you won’t be able to accommodate us because you yourself is too busy.” Shin Hye said looking at So Ra.

“I will take some vacation if you will visit us.” Hae Jin said that shock his wife.

“Really oppa? You’re gonna take a leave out of work?” So Ra said amazed.

“Neh. If they will visit us.” He said sipping his tea while giving Shin Hye a look.

“Huh, Ssinz please visit us soon.” So Ra said holding Shin Hye’s both hand like pleading.

“Don’t worry, we will visit you after my project. We’re planning to go on vacation anyway, so your place will be our first stop.” Woo Bin answered eyeing Shin Hye that makes her smile.

“I’ll give you a call if we already have schedule.” Shin Hye said to So Ra.

“Oh yeah, Geun Suk called me earlier asking about your boyfriend.” Hae Jin said changing the topic to keep his wife excitement.

“I knew it. What are you planning to do now?” Shin Hye said glaring at his brother.

“Who’s he?” Woo Bin asked curiously.

“Shin Hye’s future husband.” Hae Jin straightly said.

“You should be careful with him. He’ll snatch Shin Hye with you anytime he wants.” So Ra said teasing.

“Mwo? I don’t understand. Is he your ex-boyfriend?” Woo Bin asked Shin Hye confused.

“Yah! Don’t scare him with that. Is this what you’d plan for?” she asked her brother and So Ra with her killer glare. “That is what I want to tell you when I came into your room earlier. Yong Hwa and I grew up with Geun Suk oppa.” She explained to confuse Woo Bin. “We were really close like siblings and he really took good care of me and Yong Hwa.” She continued.

“But you had an unrequited love for him and you were heartbroken when he had to move to Japan.” Hae Jin said teasing her.

“Is that true?” Woo Bin asked facing Shin Hye.

“Ahm, sort of, kinda like that.” She safely answered.

“Actually, my little sister thought that Geun Suk is the one she’ll marry when she grew up. I think that was her dream when she was young. She saw Geun Suk as his ideal man, she had that picture in her mind that he was going to marry him.” Hae Jin further explained.

“What happened then?” Woo Bin asked wanting to know more.

“Geun Suk only sees Shin Hye as his little sister that he needs to protect, but her mom wants him to marry her. But of course it’s just the conversation between mothers. Even Yong Hwa’s mom wants Shin Hye to be her daughter-in-law.” Hae Jin said teasing Shin Hye.

“Huh, so I have a lot of competition. Isn’t it Yoo Yeon Suk hyung wants you too? And Kim Soo Hyun-ssi offered to marry you too. I need to do something about it. I can just let them wanting you when you’re already with me.” Woo Bin said getting the idea that Hae Jin is saying.

“Yah!” Shin Hye shouted in annoyance.

The three laugh and Woo Bin pulled her chair closer to him. “Don’t worry I was just teasing you, I get what Hae Jin hyung is saying. I trust you, so don’t worry about it. I’m ready to face any competitor that will try to take you away from me.” He said and kisses her forehead.

 

It’s 9 in the morning and Shin Hye is still sleeping. They went to bed late last night talking and teasing in the porch. Woo Bin sneaked in her room after confirming that her parents were already in deep sleep but woke up early in the morning to get back to his room before her mother noticed that he didn’t sleep there.

Woo Bin went out with Hae Jin to go the fish market with So Ra. They plan to go together with Shin Hye but because Woo Bin knew that she’s tired, so he didn’t wake her up.

Shin Hye turns to her left side when she felt someone laid beside her. She put her arm around the man figure, but it is strange because the man doesn’t smell like Woo Bin. She immediately open her still sleepy eyes and startled to see the man lying to her side.

“Annyeong Minam.” Geun Suk said waving his hand in her face.

“Yah! Oppa what are you doing here? Who let you in into my room? Eomma! Eomma!” Shin Hye said shouting while covering herself with the blanket.

“Yah stop shouting in the morning. We’re here too. Eomoni knows that we’re here.” Yong Hwa said rummaging on the study table cabinet.

“Yah! Stop looking at my things.” She said throwing a pillow to Yong Hwa. “Ah, Hong Ki-dah!” she said upon seeing Hong Ki sitting in the edge of the bed with a sulky face.

“Annyeong.” He said waving his hand to her but not turning back to face her.

“What wrong with you? Why do you have that face early in the morning? And why are you here? I thought you’re in the States with Taka-san?” Shin Hye asked fixing her hair.

“Its eomoni and abeoji’s anniversary, of course I should be here. I told them I don’t wanna come with them in here but they forcefully dragged me here.” Hong Ki said now facing Shin Hye.

“Ah, Hong Ki-dah, you’re truly my friend. See, Hong Ki wouldn’t dare to come in to my room without my permission.” Shin Hye said proudly.

“Who told you that? I can come in to your room anytime I want. I just don’t wanna come earlier because I don’t wanna see your sleeping face. It’s too ugly to watch, that’s why I was turning this way.” Hong Ki said pouting his lips.

“Yah! Get out of my room!” Shin Hye shouted while throwing them her pillows.

“I was hoping that I could see your boyfriend. Where is he?” Geun Suk said lying leisurely on her bed.

“Huh, what time is it?” Shin Hye asked looking for her phone in her bed.

“It’s past 9 in the morning, and you’re still sitting there when everybody else is busy outside.” Yong Hwa said turning around to face her from the study table.

“Ah, he might didn’t want to wake me up.” She said getting out of the bed.

“So, where’s your boyfriend?” Geun Suk asked sitting on the bed.

“He probably went to the fish market with Hae Jin oppa and So Ra. Why are you three planning? Don’t you mess with my relationship with Woo Bin. Oppa, I am going to marry him.” Shin Hye said begging and still looking for her phone.

“Yah! What do you think of us? We’re not a relationship breaker, we just want the best for you. If he’s the best for you then we will not do anything. If you’re sure about what you feel, you don’t need to worry.” He said finding her phone under the pillow. “So, this is how he look like. He’s pretty tall. Is he a model? I thought he’s a businessman?” Geun Suk asked browsing the pictures in Shin Hye’s phone.

“Yah!” Shin Hye jumped on the bed and grabbed her phone. “Neh, he used to be a model but already stopped to focus on their family business.” Shin Hye said making sure her phone is safe.

“Ah your boyfriend is boring. Why would he leave modelling for a hotel business? There’s a lot of fun in modelling and lot of beautiful models to hang out with.” Geun Suk teases.

“Agree, rather than stick with the boring doctor who always nag and snore.” Hong Ki said backing up Geun Suk.

“Yah! I don’t snore. And Woo Bin is not like you, he doesn’t fall for those kind of girls. Oppa, that’s why you find a serious girlfriend because you always want to play with those woman.” She said to Geun Suk with her puppy eyes. “And you, that’s why you always get in a scandal with the younger models. Remember your last scandal with that Japanese model? Mr. Han might have a lot of headache because of you.” She said turning to Hong Ki while shaking her head.

“That’s why he’s there, to protect us. Anyway, that was not even true, so he doesn’t have to work hard to cover it.” He said smiling.

“No wonder Mr. Han chose Yong over you.” She said laughing.

“That’s because Yong always agrees to him even if he’s not comfortable with it. We’re the total opposite, I will not agree to anything that I’m not comfortable with. I will do what I want and if I made a mess in the process, they are there to clean it up. I give them a lot of many anyway. And Yong has been in a lot of scandal than me but he’s doing it quietly.” He said passing the ball to Yong Hwa.

“Yah don’t dragged my name on that. I just don’t really want an argument or big news that has nothing to do with music. Playing it safe is better.” Yong explained.

“Ah, I’ve been in a lot of mess than Hong Ki and Yong playing safe is boring, sometimes you need to have some adventure in your life.” Geun Suk said getting in the conversation.

“Can you please just talk about your head turning career outside my room? I had enough share of your mess, appearing in the new with Yong and Hong Ki. Palli, get out.” Shin Hye said kicking the three out of her room.

This four circle of people has been friends since they could remember. Yong Hwa, Geun Suk and Shin Hye grew up together. After graduating from High school Geun Suk moved to Japan to continue his acting and modeling career which left Shin Hye all heart broken. He usually goes back to visit his mother every time he has a free time from his work. And decided to come home after a few years to continue his study in a university. That’s when the three of them reunited in Seoul. Yong Hwa was recruited to form a rock band and Shin Hye was to study medicine. They always meet once in a while at Shin Hye’s apartment to hang out, and that’s when they got close to Hong Ki. Yong Hwa always brings him with him every time they have get together at Shin Hye’s place.

After Geun Suk graduated college, he moved back to Japan. Yong Hwa needed to move to Japan too with his bandmates to study. Shin Hye went to San Francisco to continue her study of medicine with his brother. And Hong Ki got busy travelling for their concerts and promotions of their albums. They got all busy with their respective careers but they never lost contact to each other. Shin Hye made sure that she talks to one of them once in a while.

When Shin Hye got back to Seoul, Yong Hwa and Hong Ki are already making it big with their respective band. Shin Hye never fails to attend every concerts they have around Seoul, alone or with some friends. She became close with their bandmates too, though most of them are younger than her. This was also the time that she was put in a news that makes fan girls envy her. She was photograph with Yong Hwa riding in his bicycles along Han River and she was seen delivering foods on one of Hong Ki’s shooting location. And a photograph of her going to CNBlue’s apartment and going out of FT Island’s apartment circled around Korea. The media tagged her as two timing the two most popular vocals in Korea which made the fan girls bashed her with all the awful words in the world. And in the end, it was all proven not true and all just malicious rumors that turned big because of the two big stars involved. And also, thanks to the statement that Yong Hwa and Hong Ki releases that people now known her as one of the boys.

 

After Shin Hye finish preparing she joined the three of them in the backyard garden, where they are helping Mr. Park in barbequing. Actually it is only Shin Hye who’s helping him and the three are just eating what she cook. Shin Hye noticed that she’s the only one doing the work when the three of them who said that they will help her father.

“Yah! Why are you just sitting there? I thought you’re going to help?” Shin Hye said pointing the tong to each one of them.

“You can handle it. Abeoji, have a rest first.” Geun Suk said offering the chair beside him. “Minam can handle that.” He added while smirking.

“I told you to stop calling me that.” Shin Hye said glaring at him.

“Wae? Your boyfriend doesn’t know yet that you’re a boy?” Geun Suk teased.

“Ah, I feel bad for Woo Bin when he finds out that you’re a boy.” Yong Hwa second.

“Yah! Appa, look what they are doing to me? How can I be friends with them?” she said trying to find someone who will side with her.

Mr. Park laughs with his daughter cute face. “It just means that your friendship is really comfortable that they say things like that to you. Don’t worry, the surgeon is so great that you don’t even have a trace of a boy.” He said and started to laugh again with the three men.

“Yah! Appa, not you too.” Shin Hye said sulking.

“Ssinz, why don’t you get us some more lettuce inside? Abeoji wants to eat more.” Hong Ki said winking to Mr. Park.

“Why don’t you get it yourself? Or ask Yong to get it, he’s not doing anything.” She said pointing to Yong Hwa who is quietly eating beside Hong Ki.

“Yah, my right foot still hurts because of your kick earlier. I wasn’t even the one teasing you but you kicked me. Look, it is still red.” Yong Hwa said showing him his right foot with a red mark.

“Ah, Ssinz, you are so strong, you can be an UFC fighter. Hyung, why don’t you set her a fight with Choo Sung Hoon?” Hong Ki said looking to Geun Suk.

“Neh, hyung. You’re pretty close with him anyway. Use some connection and set a fight with our Minam here.” Yong Hwa said glancing at Shin Hye.

“What do you think Abeoji? Should I call Sung Hoon hyung?” Geun Suk said pulling his phone on his pocket.

Shin Hye walk closer to Hong Ki and slapped his arm. “I’m going to get you more lettuce until you can no longer eat.” She said grabbing the wooden plate. “Huh, should I just put something on the lettuce?” she said looking suspiciously at the three.

The three look at each other with an awe face.

“I’ll help you.” Yong Hwa stood up and grab the plate in her hand.

“I thought your foot is still hurting?” Shin Hye asked smiling like a winner.

“Ah, it’s all fine now. See?” Yong Hwa said wiggling his right foot.

After getting the lettuce in the kitchen, Yong Hwa went out first and left Shin Hye to help her mother in tasting the food that she’s cooking with Mrs. Jung.

“Eomonim, where will I put these?” Woo Bin said coming in the kitchen with the cooler in his hand where the fishes are inside.

“Ah, just put them in that counter.” Mrs. Park said giving him a smile.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Shin Hye said walking towards him.

“I know you were tired so I decided not to wake you up.” Woo Bin said putting his arm around her and kisses her head.

“Oh, you smell like fish.” She said covering her nose with her hand. “Go and wash up first.” She added pushing him out of the kitchen.

“I saw Yong Hwa, who’s he with?” Woo Bin asked while walking to his room with Shin Hye.

“Geun Suk oppa and Hong Ki. They are in the backyard garden with appa. I’m sure they are planning something to scare you away.” She answered thinking hard.

“Don’t worry, no one and nothing can scare me away.” He said kissing her hand. “I thought Hong Ki is in the States?” he asked curiously.

“Neh, but he always make time to celebrate my parents’ anniversary. Where are Hae Jin oppa and So Ra?” she asked looking around.

“They dropped by the grocery store to buy something. Will you get me a new shirt?” he said removing his shirt while walking to the bathroom.

At the backyard garden, Yong Hwa is grilling some meat while Hong Ki is in the phone talking to friends, Geun Suk is chatting to Mr. Park.

“Aren’t you dating right now? You’re young, you should enjoy your youth and date as much as you want.” Mr. Park advice.

“I want that too abeoji, but because of my schedule I could not even have a decent talk with a girl. And reporters always follow me around, so I could not freely go on dating. Even me going out with friends are being reported.” He said shaking his head.

“Neh, I remember that report when you went camping with your college friends. The reports were so bad that made your mom worry about you having some notorious friends.” Mr. Park said remembering.

“I wasn’t even in the scene when the incident of playing a loud music in the middle of the night happened. I went home that night because I couldn’t sleep. The only mistake I did was leaving my cars there. So campers thought that I was there.” He said while drinking his beer.

“Some reporters exaggerate some news to get more attention especially if the news involved a big stars.” Hong Ki said sympathizing with Geun Suk.

“Neh I agree with you. And some news doesn’t even have basis to begin with. They are just based on fans delusion. It’s so frustrating when that happens.” Yong Hwa said while flipping the meat in the griller.

“You still can’t over the news about that member of a girl group ah?” Geun Suk said teasing him.

“Because it’s not even true. It’s so annoying when they try to connect everything I do to her. Even bringing banner to our concerts, I hate and that really makes me mad.” He said pouting his lips.

“What are you talking about? Why are you looking like that?” Shin Hye asked coming out of the door with Woo Bin.

“We’re talking about the potato girl.” Hong Ki said turning to face Shin Hye.

“Ah Woo Bin-ah you’re back. Come and sit here.” Mr. Park said while standing up from his chair.

“Neh abeoji. Where are you going?” Woo Bin said bowing to Mr. Park.

“I’m going to help your eomma in the kitchen. Yong Hwa you can handle that?” Mr. Park asked over Yong Hwa.

“Neh abeoji.” Yong Hwa answered.

Mr. Park went inside and left a chilling silence with the five people talking with their eyes. Shin Hye diligently looking at Geun Suk, Yong Hwa and Hong Ki, trying to predict who will talk first, but no one seems like to start a conversation.

“You must be Jang Geun Suk-ssi. I’m Kim Woo Bin, Shin Hye’s boyfriend.” Woo Bin started while giving his hand for a handshake.

“So, Minam already told you about me.” Geun Suk said looking at Shin Hye while giving Woo Bin a handshake.

“Minam?” Woo Bin asked confused.

“Park Shin Hye-ssi.” Geun Suk answered.

“Geun Suk hyung calls Shin Hye, Minam because when we were in high school she cut her hair short that she looked like a boy. She looked like Go Mi Nam from the drama Minami Shineyo.” Yong Hwa added.

“Yah! I told you not to call me that.” Shin Hye shouted with her sulky face.

“Don’t worry you’re still beautiful even with that hair.” Woo Bin said while ribbing her hand.

“Wah, Minam why are you being so girly all of a sudden? Don’t mind her, she’s used to it. She’s just wanna be all girly in front of you.” Geun Suk said smiling.

“Ah, don’t worry I don’t mind it. I like her being all girly.” He said winking at her. “You’re really famous in Japan. When I went there all I can see is your face on billboards and posters. I was really surprise when Shin Hye told me that you’re friends. How’s the life of being famous?” Woo Bin asked remembering his last visit to Japan.

“Showbiz life is not a normal life. You can’t live your own, the public dictates on how you should live your life. You can get crazy with it if you don’t know how to handle it. But it is also fun as long as you love what you do. Yong Hwa and Hong Ki can relate. How about you? I heard you left modelling for your family business.” Geun Suk asked getting serious.

“Neh. I really didn’t see modelling as my lifetime career. I knew even before I entered high school that I’m going to continue our hotel business. Modelling was like a refreshment for me when I was studying, it was fun and tiring at the same time.” Woo Bin answered in honesty.

“Neh I’ve been there. Going some places for photoshoot and getting all worked up putting all those clothes and walking the runaway. But it’s all worth it as you meet a lot of girls and famous designers, the after party and endless fashion show invitations.” He said basing from his experienced.

“Right. But I didn’t actually enjoy going to all those after party. I was dead tired after the fashion show, so I preferred to just go home and sleep.” Woo Bin answered but remembering the after parties that he and Jong Suk attended every after fashion show that they were in.

“I told you he’s not that type. He’s a laid back when it comes to those things.” Shin Hye said proudly.

“I don’t believe it. Every man loves party especially if there are beautiful, y girls around.” Geun Suk disagreed.

“That’s true. I used to love party when I was starting my modelling career back in high school. I used to attend every party with Jong Suk. We were even crushing some parties to see those beautiful models, but as time passed and I got used to it. It became tiring and you start to see the girls with the same face. You’re starting to look for something that will make you feel the excitement, something that is far from where you are. Something different, and that’s what I saw with her.” Woo Bin said with his sparkling eyes looking at Shin Hye.

“Neh, I get what you mean. And you’re lucky to have found her. Treasure her or I might snatch her from you. She’s so precious that even my mother and Yong Hwa’s mother knows it.” Geun Suk said shifting his look to Shin Hye from Woo Bin.

“I know that. Don’t worry I’m not gonna let her go even if she wants to. I will definitely treasure her.” Woo Bin said looking at Geun Suk with a serious eyes.

“Well I guess I need to apologize now to my mother. I could no longer make her wish come true. My star already fall to someone else’s hand.” Geun Suk caught Shin Hye’s eyes and winks at her.

“That’s it? You’re not planning anything?” Shin Hye asked confused.

“What plan are you talking about? We’re here not for you, we’re here for eomoni and abeoji.” Hong Ki said raising his head.

“Yong Hwa-ya!” Shin Hye walks to where Yong Hwa is standing.

“Wae?” he turns around to face her. “Don’t give me that look. You were the only one thinking that we were planning something to sabotage your relationship with Woo Bin.” Yong Hwa answered reading Shin Hye’s confused reaction.

“Ah, you should be careful with her, she’s so suspicious. You might end up reporting your every move to her.” Geun Suk commented.

“I’m already used to it.” Woo Bin answered that makes everyone laughing.

“Whatever as long as you don’t do anything stupid. Huh, I’m so relieved right now.” Shin Hye said letting out a heavy sigh.

“You’re friend with Lee Jong Suk, right? I met him last night at Yong Hwa’s house. He’s kinda interesting man, quiet but a lot of interesting thoughts. He seem interest with you too.” Geun Suk said and look at Shin Hye that makes Woo Bin and Hong Ki look at her too. While Yong Hwa dropped the tong that he’s holding hearing what Geun Suk said. Shin Hye is caught in the middle of the eight eyes looking closely at her, she froze from her chair with what Geun Suk commented.