Yield

Crossroads

Jong Suk is sitting on a chair in front of the nurse station waiting for news. He’s so worried that he started fidgeting while shaking his right leg. He stands up when he saw Shin Hye coming.

“How is she?” Jong Suk asks when he saw Shin Hye coming out from the room.

“She’s fine. Thank you for helping out, but you can go home. We already contacted her husband, he will be here soon.” Shin Hye explained to him and gives him a warm smile.

“Oh, thank goodness. What happened to her?” Jong Suk scratches his head.

“She’s having a post natal syndrome as she just gave birth to her daughter. Her husband said, she ran away while he was giving their daughter a bath.” Shin Hye signals him to seat.

“Good thing you were there.” He smiles at her.

“Good thing you were there too.” she smiles back at him. “Wait, have we met somewhere before? Your face looks really familiar.” She looks at him in the face.

Jong Suk remembered Shin Hye from this morning in the coffeeshop and the argument that they had but pretended not to know her. “Aniyo. I don’t think so.” He gives her his convincing look.

“Ah, maybe it’s someone that you resemble.” She looks at him curiously.

“Wae?” he asked trying to avoid her eyes.

“Ah, I’m trying to figure out where I see you.” They look at each other’s eyes. “Ah miane.”

Shin Hye looked away first while Jong Suk still looking at her. He could not figure out why his heart beats suddenly went fast when he stared to her eyes. He just thought that maybe because he’s lying to her about seeing each other before.

“Dr. Park, Mr. Kang Is here.” The nurse called Shin Hye.

“That’s probably Song Ji Hyo-ssi’s husband.” She informed Jong Suk.

“Can I come with you?” Jong Suk asked.

“Of course, you’re the one who save his wife. So, I guess it’s just right to meet him.” Shin Hye walks to the room and Jong Suk follows her.

“Kang Gary-ssi, I am Dr. Park Shin Hye.” Shin Hye give out her hand for a shake.

“Thank you for taking care of my wife Dr. Park.” Kang Gary shakes her hand.

“By the way this is Lee Jong Suk-sii, he was the one who brought your wife here.” Jong Suk smiles at him.

“Ah, kamsahamnida Lee Jong Suk-ssi. Jeongmal kamsahamnida.” Kang Gary holds Jong Suk’s hand and bows.

“Ah, you’re welcome Kang Gary-ssi. It’s just so fortunate that I am there. But it is Dr. Park who really saved your wife.” Jong Suk gives him a warm smile.

“You can just call me hyung.”Kang Gary smiles back. “How is my wife Dr. Park?” Kang Gary turns to face Shin Hye.

“She’s fine. She was not really hit, she fell because of the shocked. She had some bruises on her feet and cuts on her hand. She need to rest here for tonight and you can her home tomorrow.” Shin Hye explained.

Jong Suk was staring at Shin Hye the whole time she was explaining to Kang Gary. He doesn’t understand it but he thinks that she’s really pretty. She’s so confident with the way she talked and the way she carry herself. A smile form in his lips when he thought of the argument he had with her at the coffeeshop. He was lost in his thought when Shin Hye suddenly looks at him. His cheeks and ears turn red as a cherry when they lock eyes. Shin Hye noticed but didn’t say anything and just excuse herself to Kang Gary. Jong Suk excused himself too and followed Shin Hye out of the room.

“Do you wanna have some coffee? I was not able to drink my coffee when I saw the accident.” Shin Hye asked glancing at his red face.

“Neh. You think she will be okay after this?” Jong Suk asked trying to avoid her eyes.

“Yes. Her husband just needs a little bit more patience and he needs to stay by her side all the time until she recovers herself.” She said and stops to face at him.

“What? Is there a dirt in my face?” he wipes his face with his right hand.

“Nothing. You just seem really familiar.” She started to walk again. “Ah, by the way, when you rushed to the accident you were calling a name. Suzy? Suzy, right? Who is she?” she asked glancing at him in his right side.

“Just someone I know. I thought she was the one I saw running across the street.” He answered giving her a smile.

Jong Suk totally forgot about Suzy and their conversation earlier. He actually thought that it was Suzy who run across the street because of the threat that she said before he left her. He was thankful that it wasn’t Suzy and happy that he was there to help and even happier that he met Shin Hye.

“What do you want?” Shin Hye asked walking to the counter of the hospital cafeteria.

“It’s my treat. What’s yours?” Jong Suk asked back while grabbing her to his side so he’ll be the one in front of the counter.

“Gomawo. I’ll have an ice Americano.” She smiles at him.

Shin Hye waited standing at his side looking at the people going in and out of the hospital while Jong Suk was staring at her right side face and noticed her cute button nose. Jong Suk let out a sigh that made Shin Hye turned to him. He gave him his ‘i’m-just-fine’ smile, so that she won’t ask anything. Jong Suk got their coffee and handed Shin Hye hers and they seated on an empty chairs quietly when Shin Hye’s phone rings. When Shin Hye pulled out her phone and put it in her ear, Jong Suk noticed the couple ring that she’s wearing. His smile disappeared as he felt disappointed just looking at her ring finger. He looked away but keeps listening to what she’s saying to the person on the other line.

“I need to stay until 2am.” “Neh, I’m drinking a lot of coffee to keep me awake.” “Oh, I miss you too. Stop thinking about me you need to work.” “Oh, so you’re just going to dine then.” Arasso. I will see you tomorrow. Saranghe.” Shin Hye said to the person on the other line.

As Jong Suk heard the word ‘saranghe’, he felt pain in his chest. He knew that she was talking to his boyfriend on the other line. He could not understand why he just suddenly felt pain and why is he thinking that he might be the happiest guy if he’s the one she’s talking to on the other line. It’s weird for him to feel this much emotion and connection to a woman he just officially met. He shakes the thought in his mind and smile at Shin Hye as she looks at him after her phone conversation.

“Because you threat me a coffee, I will threat you a dinner. What do you wanna eat?” Shin Hye said to break the silence.

“Ah, jeongmal?” Jong Suk asked rubbing his forehead with his middle and index fingers. “Oh yes, I promise to have dinner with my mom and my brother. Can I have a raincheck instead? So, it will be sure to meet you again.” he stares at her eyes.

“Ok. Just come and find me here when you’re free to have dinner.” Shin Hye smiles.

“Aren’t you supposed to give me something like a token or a coupon and I’ll give it back when you already threat me?” he leans closer to her.

“Is that so? But what will I give you?” she looks around and to herself, and pulls out something on her pocket. “Ah here, take it. It’s my gae keychain, my oppa gave that to me when I got my apartment.” She gives him her white maltese keychain.

“It has no expiration right?” he put his car key on the keychain.

“No. You can use it anytime, as long as I am free.” She winks at him.

“Ok, I will keep it safe until we meet again.” He gives her his cutest smile.

“Ok, I need to back with my rounds. It’s nice meeting you Lee Jong Suk-sii.” She gives him her hand.

“Just call me with my name, no need to be formal. Thank you Dr. Park.” He shakes her hand and gives her a flirty look.

“Arasso Jong Suk ah, but if you call me with my name too.” She smiles back.

“I’ll see again Shin Hye yah.”

Jong Suk left the hospital smiling while looking at the keychain. He looks like a fool smiling to himself but he doesn’t care. Shin Hye was like a cure to his painful encounter with Suzy. He’s just so happy that he met a new friend. He’s not expecting to be close to her because of her boyfriend but just the thought of seeing her again makes his heart flutter.

Jong Suk is on his way to their house after dropping by at casAntonio, an Italian restaurant, to buy his mom’s favourite Burrata ala Caprese. As Jong Hyun informed him that he doesn’t need to buy their dinner as he asked their Ahjumma to cook for dinner. When Jong Suk reached their home, his mom and Jong Hyun are sitting in the living room waiting for him.

“Na wass-eo.” Jong Suk said as he opened the front door.

“Ah, finally.” Jong Hyun stands from his seat and walks towards his brother. “Where have you been? I’m starving already.” He grabbed the paper bag that Jong Suk is holding and walks to the dining room.

Jong Suk hugs her mother. “Gwaenchanh-ayo? I’m sorry I got caught up with something.” He said pulling a chair.
“Who did you meet hyung?” Jong Hyun inquired while placing food in his plate.
“A new friend.” Jong Suk answered with a smirk.
“Is it a girl?” his mom asked curiously.
“Neh.” He answered giving his mother a smile.
“Oh that’s great, you’re dating again.” Jong Hyun said while chewing a sausage.
Jong Suk noticed a smile on his mother’s face when Jong Hyun said the word ‘dating’, and he answered right away. “We’re not dating, we just met today. And she has a boyfriend.” He said smiling, as he doesn’t want to give his mom a false hope of him dating again.
“I’m just happy that you’re going out to meet some new friends.” She holds his left hand and gives him a smile.
“Neh, nado.” He smiles back.

 
Shin Hye is sitting in the doctor’s lounge collecting her things on her bag as it is the end of her shift and she’s contemplating if she will go home, because she doesn’t have the energy to walk and ride a taxi. She’s too tired and she just wants to lay her back on her bed and sleep.

“Ah, I’ll just crash his apartment. Should I call him first? Ani, he might be sleeping right now. I think he’s not in there anyway. But what if he’s in there? Ah, I don’t care I just want to rest and sleep now.” Shin Hye talking to herself.

She walked three minutes to a building near the hospital. She was on the door already and about to press the door code but decided to just push the door bell to check if there’s someone inside. She pushes the door bell once but no one answers. She pushes the door bell twice and about to press it again when she heard someone’s voice.

“Yah! What are you doing here at this hour?” the man said over the speaker.

“I had a late shift and I’m so tired to go home.” She begged over the man in the speaker.

“Aish. Why didn’t you just enter, you know my passcode.” The man said irritated while opening the door.

“I was going too but I wanted to check if you’re inside.” She said while coming in.

“Aish, I’m going back to sleep.” he said walking back to his room.

“Yah, Jung Yong Hwa what is this mess?” he shouted looking over the dirty plates on the sinks.

“I’m too tired to wash them. Clean them as your payment for crashing my place.” He closes his door.

“Ah, so irresponsible. How are you going to find a girlfriend if you’re like this? All you do is write songs, eat and sleep. Aish.” She shouted over the closed door.

Yong Hwa opens the door and said. “I don’t need one, I already have you. You alone are too much to handle for me.” He smirks at her.

Shin Hye acts like throwing the dirty plate to him and Yong Hwa shut the door that made her smile. She cleaned the dirty plates and organized other stuffs in his apartment before going to sleep. She fell asleep as soon as she laid her back on the bed on the room next to Yong Hwa’s. She always crashes Yong Hwa’s apartment everytime she has a late shift because it is near the hospital. It is like his second home, as Yong Hwa also live alone like her. Yong Hwa does the same to her apartment everytime he gets drunk, because she always prepares him a hang-over soup in the morning. Eventhough they always bicker to each other, they have each other’s back. Sometimes Woo Bin gets jealous of their closeness, but he understands their sibling-like relationship. Time passed and it’s already 6 o’clock in the morning, Shin Hye is in deep sleep when someone presses the door bell. Yong Hwa gets out from his room to open the door.

“Yah. What’s up with you two? Are you trying my patience? Ah jinjja.” Yong Hwa said to the man irritated.

“Miane and gomawo, you’re our life saver.” The man said bowing to Yong Hwa.

Yong Hwa let out a sigh while scratching his head. “She’s in her room. Please, I just to sleep more.” He walks to his room and closes the door.

Woo Bin entered the room where Shin Hye is sleeping. He stared at her sleeping face and tuck in some loose hair behind her hair. Shin Hye moves a bit feeling something on his face as he caresses her soft cheeks. Woo Bin smile with the thought of doing this for the rest of his life when he lay next to her.

“Good morning.” He whispered to her ear and hugs her.

Shin Hye turns to face him. “What are you doing here?” she opens his sleepy eyes to see his face.

“Just go back to sleep.” He hugs her tightly. “I was waiting in your apartment but you were not coming. I figured you went straight here after your shift, that’s why I’m here.” He kisses her forehead.

“Ah jinjja. Let’s sleep more, ah?” she snuggles closer to him.

 

It’s early in the morning and Jong Suk is on his way to the coffeeshop after taking his morning run on the park. He carefully walks in and looking around trying to find someone. Well, he’s hoping he would see Shin Hye inside like when he first met her. He smiles to himself when he realized that he really wants to see her again. He shakes the idea of maybe liking her and just convinced himself that maybe it’s the first time that he met someone as free spirited like Shin Hye that’s why he’s so amazed by her. He was about to take a seat when someone called him.

“Jong Suk-ah!” the man shouted.

“Oh, Yong Hwa-yah. What are you doing here so early?” he seated across him.

“I couldn’t go back to sleep as I woke up twice this early morning.” Yong Hwa said irritated.

“Insomnia? Thank you.” Someone hands him his ice latte.

“No. People kept on barging in my apartment. How’s eommoni?” he sips his ice Americano.

Jong Suk smiled as she remembers Shin Hye liking the same coffee.

“What is that?” he noticed that Jong Suk smiled.

“Nothing, I just remember someone liking the same coffee. Anyway, she’s doing fine. She just needed some rest.” He sips his latte. “Are you meeting Jong Hyun here?”

“No. I will meet him in the studio later.” He leans his back on the chair. “Are you not going to work?”

“No. I took the day off again because I want to spend some time with eomma, and I will meet a friend this afternoon. How was your recording? Jong Hyun told me that your recording new songs.” He leans his back too on his seat.

“Yes. We have so many things to do. We are recording the guitar part first, and writing some lyrics. Jong Hyun is writing his own songs too. We might delay the release of the new album as we have so many ideas and we don’t have a decision yet what to use.” He sighs.

“Ah jeongmal, my brother is a composer now.” He smiles at him.

“Neh. He’s actually doing pretty good composing.” He said smiling back.

The two continue to talk about their current business. Jong Suk is closed to all his brother’s band mates as they are the official face of their clothing brand. He is especially close to Yong Hwa as they are the same age.

 

Meanwhile at Yong Hwa’s apartment. It is already 11 o’clock in the morning and Shin Hye is sitting in the living room watching television when Woo Bin woke up and walks towards her.

“Good morning.” He kisses her cheek. “What are you eating?” he sits beside her.

“Egg and sausages. These are the only thing that I found in Yong Hwa’s fridge and a very cold pizza.” She feeds him a sausage.

“Are you going to the hospital today?” he asked while wiping his mouth with his thumb.

“No. It’s my day off. Wae?” she eats a piece of fried egg.

“Come with me this afternoon. I will meet my friend whom I haven’t seen for a long time. I heard he was having a hard time moving on from his break up, so I just wanna console him.” He opens his mouth for her to feed him.

“Is it ok for me to be there? I mean, he might want to talk to you about his personal life and I being there might feel awkward for him.” she wipes the excess sauce in the corner his mouth with her thumb.

“No. He’s not the type that’s why I want you there, to liven up the mood.” He drinks the orange juice in her glass. “Hurry up. I will walk you home and pick you up at 3pm, I need to talk to you about something before we meet my friend. I need to go home to change, but now I need to pee.” He kisses her cheek and head towards the bathroom.

Shin Hye continue to eat while watching television.