Fork

Crossroads

It is already 7 in the evening and Jong Suk is still in his office staring at his phone on his hand. He’s been contemplating the whole day if he should call Shin Hye or not. He really wants to talk to her but he doesn’t want to confuse her more like how he feels right now. He’s having a heart over mind battle right now and it’s giving him a headache already. He tried to call her for five times this whole day but ended up cancelling every attempt. ‘So this is how Suzy felt the whole time she was trying to talk to me. Ah jinjja, what am I doing right now? I’m gonna go crazy just looking at my phone.’ He said to himself and throws the phone in his office table.

He stood up and stands in front of his big glass window at the back of his office chair. He walks around his office in deep thought. He’s shaking his head in every idea that maybe comes to his mind. He picks up his phone again when he decided to sit in his office chair.

“You’ve been staring at your phone the whole day. Is there something interesting on your phone screen?” Ji Sung said opening the door.

“Hyung, what are you still doing here?” Jong Suk asked while putting the phone down in his table.

“I’m about to leave when I saw your lights on. Aren’t you going home yet?” he said pointing at the door.

“No. I will stay for a bit.” He answered glancing at his phone again.

Ji Sung walk towards him and grabs his phone from his table. “Shin Hye. Is that her name? There is not even a picture, why do you keep on staring at her number? Just call her and end your misery right now. Or you want me to do it for you?”

Jong Suk grabs the phone back upon hearing what Ji Sung said. “I will do it. Just go home, nunna sure is waiting for you.”

“Don’t worry I still have time. Now, tell me what is it about this Shin Hye that you are hesitating to call her?” he said sitting on the couch.

“Nunna didn’t tell you anything?” he said sitting across him.

“Well, she told me about this girl that you like but you can’t pursue her because she’s your friend’s girl. So, is she Shin Hye?” he asked curiously.

“Neh. And she’s Woo Bin-ah’s girlfriend.” He said letting out a heavy sigh.

“Woo Bin-ah. Kim Woo Bin? Our long legged Woo Bin-ah?” he exclaimed in shock.

“Neh. So complicated ah?” he said resting his back on the couch.

“Ah jinjja it’s complicated. Just find another girl.” He said in a simple tone.

“That’s what I decided to do. Just let it go and like someone else. But something happened and now I don’t know what to do.” He said letting out a sigh.

“Wae? What happened?” he said leaning forward to look at him in the eyes seriously. “Don’t tell me, you did…?” he never finish his word.

“We kissed. Not just any ordinary kiss. She kissed me back and we almost did it. I felt something in her when she kiss me back. I want to know what it is that’s why I need to talk to her.” He said rubbing his forehead.

“In my experienced if a girl kiss you back it means she feels something for you. I mean, if she doesn’t like you will for sure get a slap in the face or a kick in the crotch. So, what are you planning now?” he said giving him a serious look.

“I need to talk to her. I will do whatever she wants me to do. Yes, if she feels something for me, I will fight for her and if she wants me to pretend like nothing happened, I will. But I hope that won’t be the case.” He said looking at his phone again.

“Well, I think that’s better plan. At least you know where you’re going with this, either the left or the right. But first, you need to gain your confidence to call her.” He said giving him a smile. “Goodluck on that.” He taps his shoulder and walks out of the room.

 

Woo Bin decided to bring Shin Hye dinner in the hospital because she will have a late night shift. He promised to himself to eat every meal to every chance that he gets with Shin Hye after he came back from China. Shin Hye takes an hour break to eat with Woo Bin in the cafeteria. They are eating quietly just looking at each other, they are like communicating thru their eyes. Woo Bin is smirking while glancing at Shin Hye.

“What happened? Is there something that I need to know? Is it about your mom?” Shin Hye suddenly asked while eating her spaghetti.

“Nothing. Wae?” Woo Bin said while helping Shin Hye wipe the side of her lips.

“Then, why are you being sweet and thoughtful?” Shin Hye asked looking straight to his eyes.

“I’m your boyfriend. Isn’t just right to be sweet and thoughtful to your girlfriend?” he said looking straight to her eyes.

“Right. But still something is different.” She said getting back to her dinner.

“You are different. You’ve been nervous since this morning on your apartment. What happened while I was gone?” he asked crossing his arm on his chest.

“I told you it’s because of the soju. Ah, I should have not agreed to Yong Hwa to drink. What are you going to do later after here?” she said when her phone rings.

“Answer it first.” Woo Bin said pointing in her pocket.

Shin Hye pulls out her phone. “Neh? I’m already eating here in the cafeteria with Woo Bin-ah. Okay.” She said and ended the call. “Soo Hyun. He was asking me if I wanted to eat dinner with them outside. So what will you do later?” she said putting her phone on the table.

“Nothing, so I’ll just wait for you here until you’re done. I will walk you home so you don’t need to crash Yong Hwa’s apartment.” Woo Bin gives her a smile.

“Yong Hwa will not be home tonight, he will stay in the studio with the boys. But I love it that you are willing to wait for me and walk me home. I’m really lucky to have a caring boyfriend.” Shin Hye stands up and gives him a peck on his lips.

“Where are you going?” Woo Bin asked curiously.

“I’m going to buy a coffee. You want some?” she said pointing in the counter.

“No. I will just drink water.” He kisses her hand.

Woo Bin let out a heavy sigh when Shin Hye turn her back and walks to the counter to get her coffee. Shin Hye noticed that Woo Bin is acting strange since he came back from his business trip but tried to just ignore it and just enjoy her time with her. She’s trying her best to keep herself calm since she still doesn’t know how to tell him about Jong Suk. She has not had the chance to talk to Yong Hwa because of his schedule and because Woo Bin came back unexpectedly but Yong Hwa advice her to wait and think before she tells him, but it is so hard to act normal when you’re keeping a secret to the person you love the most. Woo Bin is checking his messages when he was startled when Shin Hye’s phone rings from the table. He glance at the screen to see who’s calling but the caller is not registered in her phonebook as only the phone number appears on the screen. He answered the call out of curiosity.

“Yoboseyo?” Woo Bin said over the phone.

“Yoboseyo. Is this Dr. Park Shin Hye’s phone?” the other line asked.

“Jong Suk-ah? It’s Woo Bin. She’s just buying her coffee. What is it?” Woo Bin said recognizing Jong Suk’s voice.

“Ah, Woo Bin-ah when did you come back?” Jong Suk asked surprise.

“This morning. What do you need with Shin Hye? She’s still in the counter.” He asked curiously.

Jong Suk is still surprise to hear Woo Bin over Shin Hye’s phone and he doesn’t know what to say. It’s not usual to call Shin Hye on her phone when they just met few times. What is he going to say? What if he ask many questions? Why am I calling my friend’s girlfriend when we’re not even close? Did she tell him about last night? These are all the questions in Jong Suk’s mind.

“Yah, are you still there? Why are you calling Shin Hye? Is it about your mom?” Woo Bin asked worriedly.

“Ah yes. My mom is having a headache and I don’t know what medicine I should give her. I was trying to call Dr. Yoo but his phone is turn off.” He said immediately with a cringe voice.

“Ah I see. Wait, she’s coming.” He said looking at Shin Hye who is walking back to their table.

“Is that my phone? Who is it?” Shin Hye asked while sitting on her chair.

“It’s Jong Suk.” He said giving him her phone.

Shin Hye almost spit the coffee in when he hear the name. “Wae? What does he want?” she asked nervously.

“It’s about her mom.” He said going back to his food.

“Yoboseyo?” she said trying to normalize her voice.

“Hey, I’m sorry for calling you. I didn’t know that Woo Bin already came back. I told him that my mom have a headache and I need your advice for medicine.” He said explaining.

“Is that so? Yes, she can take the Tylenol.” She said lying.

“I just wanted to talk to you about last night. I don’t wanna cause any trouble and make you confuse but I just want to ask you some things.” He said hoping that she’ll agree to meet him.

“Okay, I will check on your mom tomorrow before I go to work. I will be in your house at maybe 9 am?” she said agreeing to meet him.

“Thank you. I’ll just wait for you then.” He said with a smile.

“Bye.” She said ending the call.

“What happened?” Woo Bin asked curiously.

“Ah, he wants me to check on her mom. He said she didn’t wanna go to the hospital.” She said giving him a smile.

She didn’t wanna lie to Woo Bin but she doesn’t have a choice. She just wanna forget what happened between her and Jong Suk but like Yong Hwa said, she needs to be sure about what she really feels. And to know that she needs to talk to Jong Suk about what happened. If there is really something for Jong Suk in her heart. She needs to be sure before telling Woo Bin.

 

Jong Suk woke up early, actually, he didn’t get enough sleep thinking what he’s going to tell Shin Hye. He was practicing his words the whole night. He just finished changing his clothes when he heard the front door opened. He checked his watch and it’s 7 in the morning. Did Shin Hye decided to come early? But why didn’t she called if she will come early? Whatever it is, he run downstairs to check personally.

“Oh, hyung? Are you going to the office now? Eh, why are not in your office clothes?” Jong Hun asked while yawning.

“Are you just going home?” Jong Suk asked standing in front of Jong Hyun.

“Neh. I stayed up in the studio with Yong Hwa hyung and the maknaes. Ah hyung, I think it is yours.” He said and throws him his jacket that he left in Shin Hye’s apartment.

“Where did you get it?” he asked surprise.

“Yong Hwa hyung gave it to. He said you left that somewhere. How did you get out without your jacket on? It’s too cold outside.” he asked while yawning.

“Did he tell you something else?” he asked curiously.

“Ani. Wae? Ah, I’m so sleepy. Where’s oemma?” he said while stretching his arms.

“She’s at the back. Why don’t you go to your room and have some sleep? You look like a mess with that hair. You will lose a lot of your fangirls if they see you like that.” He said shaking his head.

“Ah, I don’t really care. I’m still handsome even my hair is a mess. Should I take a picture now and post it in my sns? It will be a hit for sure.” He said while doing a v-sign to his chin.

“Ah what a narcissist. Where did that confident came from. You really change a lot since you joined the band, but I like it.” He said while crossing his arms on his chest and nodding.

“But it’s true. It runs in the family. Look?” he said while putting his face closer to Jong Suk and snapped a picture.

“Yah! What did you just do?” he said pushing him away from him.

“I will brag about my handsome brother to my fans. Wae?” he said while busy with his phone.

“Ah jinjja.” He said while shaking his head.

Jong Suk is walking his way to the kitchen when suddenly Jong Hyun called him on his way upstairs.

“Ah hyung! Before I forgot, Yong Hwa hyung is asking about you last night, I think he wants to see you. He told me to ask you if you can give him a call to meet. What is it about?” he asked curiously.

“Molla. Maybe about work? I will call him later.” He said shrugging his shoulders.

“If it is about work, shouldn’t be the agency who should be talking to you? It is really weird, he was pretty serious when he asked me.” He said thinking hard. “Are you two having an affair?”

“Mwo?! But I thought it’s you two who has an affair?” he said making a humor.

“Ah is it me? I thought it is Jung Shin that he has an affair with.” He said while laughing and continues his way upstairs.

 

Shin Hye is on his way to get out of her apartment when her phone rings. She pulls it from her bag and checks on the screen.

“Do you miss me already?” she said with her sweet voice.

“I miss you every second that you’re not with me. Are you on your way out?” Woo Bin asked.

“Neh. What would want to eat for dinner later?” she said while going out of the door.

“Are you going to cook?” he said excitedly.

“Neh. Let’s just eat here instead of a restaurant.” She suggested.

“That would be nice. I miss your cooking too. You haven’t cook for me for a while.” He said with a smile.

“Neh. That’s why I want to cook for you. So, what do you want?” she said excitedly.

“Anything. I will eat anything that you cook. I will bring a desert. What time will I pick you up in the hospital?” he asked with a smirk.

“Ani. I will just see you in my apartment. I need to buy something before going home.” She said while taking the elevator.

“I will see you then. Be careful on your way out. Saranghe.” He said with his sweet masculine voice.

“Neh. Saranghe.” She said and ended the call.

Woo Bin still makes Shin Hye’s heart flutter when he talks to her with his sweet and masculine voice. She’s the only one in the elevator, so no one sees how she hugs her phone near her heart after ending the call. She looks like she’s daydreaming and mistaken her phone is Woo Bin. She’s still in his daydream when the elevator opens.

“Yah! What are you doing? Are you daydreaming again?” Yong Hwa said while looking at her curiously.

“Yah! What are you doing here?” she said while getting out of the elevator.

“I thought you wanted to talk? I came straight here from the studio.” He said walking beside her.

“You haven’t sleep? Let’s go have some coffee first.” She said holding to his left arm.

“Aish, why do you keep on clinging on my arm like that? Someone might take a picture of us. I don’t wanna get to a scandal. I have an image to protect.” He said trying to push her hands away.

“Waeyo? Are you afraid that you’re fans might bully me in the internet? Or you might get an anti-fans? Don’t worry about that I will protect you.” She said holding him tighter.

“Aish. I’m more afraid of you bickering with me about all the harsh words than having an anti-fans. Can you just move a little?” he said while pushing her forehead with his pointer and middle finger.

“Arasso.” She said and move her head from his shoulder.

“You seem calmer now. What are you planning to do?” he said while fixing his cap.

“I’m going to talk to Jong Suk. I will meet him today.” She said helping him fix his cap as a disguise.

“Jinjja? Have you sort out your feelings yet?” he said while tapping her hand that is holding his arm.

“Yes. Woo Bin-ah is the one for me. I love her and he’s the only man I want to spend my life with. I just need to clear to Jong Suk so there won’t be any confusion.” She said letting out a heavy sigh.

“But you already made him confused when you kiss him back and made him more confused when you initiated the second kiss. Don’t you take it’s too late to take back what you did?” he said pinching his button nose.

“Ani. I just need to make it clear to him that it was the soju that did that. I wasn’t in my right mind when I did that.” She said while rubbing her nose.

“Arasso. I just don’t want to see you cry anymore.” He said while rubbing her hand.

“Aww. You can bear the pain when you see me cry.” She said and holds him tighter.

“Ani. I can’t bear to see your ugly face and your snot dripping on my shirt when you cry.” He said laughing.

“Yah!” she punches him in the arm.

“I’m kidding. Come here. Sort things out and be happy.” He said and pulls her closer to him.

 

Jong Suk is still lost in his thought with his cold coffee in his hand that he didn’t hear the doorbell rings. No one is answering the door, so she called Jong Suk’s number. Jong Suk was startled when his phone rings on the kitchen table.

“I’m in front of your house but no one is answering you door.” She said looking around her.

“Oh, I didn’t hear it. Wait a sec.” he said while running to let Shin Hye in. “It’s open, come on in.”

“Where’s your mom?” she asked while coming in.

“I think she’s still at the back in her garden. Jong Hyun is in his room.” He said smiling.

“Can we talk somewhere else?” she said looking around the house.

“You wanna talk to my room?” he said pointing upstairs.

“Ani. Not in your room.” She said shaking her head.

“Then let’s go to my study. Jong Hyun and eomma doesn’t come there.” He said leading the way. “Would you like something to drink?”

“Ani. I need to go to the hospital in an hour. So let’s just talk about what happened.” She said sitting on the chair in front of the study table.

“Okay.” He agreed sitting across her.

“It was a mistake. I was drunk and I wasn’t in my right mind. Can we just forget what happened?” she said not looking at him.

Jong Suk is flustered hearing what just Shin Hye said. He already expected something like this but he never thought that it will hurt this much in reality. “Can you say that while looking in my eyes?” he said pulling her chair closer to him.

Shin Hye straighten her head and looks at him in his eyes. “It was a mistake. Let’s just pretend it didn’t happened.” She said firmly.

“How am I going to do that? You know that I like you. You can just kiss someone and tell him to just forget about it after. That’s being unfair and selfish.” He said looking to her eyes trying to hold back his tears.

“I know and I’m really sorry for that. Jeongmal mianeyo. I didn’t know why I did what I did, but believe me I wasn’t intentional. I was not in my right mind.” She said starting to fall her tears.

“Give me one good reason so I could understand and forget about it?” he said wiping her tears with his thumb.

“I love Woo Bin. I don’t wanna lose him and I can’t lose him.” She said firmly looking at his eyes.

“Stop crying please. What if Woo Bin finds out about it?” he said still wiping her tears.

“I will take responsibility for it. I’m planning to tell him anyway, I just wanted to talk to you first. He might get mad but I will hold on to him.” She said trying to calm herself.

“What if he confronted me? What am I supposed to do?” he asked her while holding her face.

“That will never happened. I’m going to tell him that it’s you. I will tell him that it was just a random guy. I don’t wanna ruin your friendship with him.” She said removing his hand on her face.

“You know what? I am ready to fight for what I feel even if it means losing my friendship with him. But if this is what you want, I will do it for you.” He said trying his best to hide the pain.

“Gomawo and jeongmal miane for putting you in this mess.” She said crying out again.

“There’s just one thing that I need to know.” He said pulling her chin up to face him.

“What is it?” she said wiping her tears with his hand.

“Did you really not feel anything when you kissed me? Even just a little that made you nervous somehow?” he asked directly to her blurry eyes.

“Yes. At first I thought I felt something, that’s why I kissed you the second time but then it felt empty. That’s when I realized it was merely the soju that was taking over me. Jeongmal miane for confusing you.” She said lying.

Shin Hye definitely felt something but she’s trying to deny it to herself because she wants to run away to whatever it is that she feels. She’s so focus that her future is with Woo Bin, and that is definitely right anyway. Jong Suk wanted to believe everything that she said but there’s just something inside him that’s making him doubt her. Even though it is hurting him, he’ll try to follow what she wants. He can’t bear to see her cry more because of him. But what is the used of fate, like what his Bo Young nunna was saying, when he can’t be together with this girl? He so wanna wraps her in his embrace but preventing himself to do so. He will respect her decision and will try to forget but he sure will never distance his self to her again.

Shin Hye continues to cry while Jong Suk is trying to make her stop. Jong Suk stands up to get Shin Hye some water to drink when there’s some knock on the door.

“Jons Suk-ah, are you there?” his mom called from the door.

“Neh. What is it?” he answered shouting over the door.

“Woo Bin-ah is here. Should I let him in?” His mom said asking for permission to come in.

Shin Hye was startled by just hearing Woo Bin’s name. “Otteoke? Woo Bin is here. He can’t see me like this.”