Adverse Camber

Crossroads

Jong Suk and Shin Hye are walking to her apartment in silence. Jong Suk is holding Shin Hye’s left arm to prevent her from falling because she is walking in a zigzag line. She finished the last bottle of soju that Yong Hwa ordered, she didn’t wanna waste it and now she’s dizzy that she can’t even walk straight. Jong Suk is staring at her while trying to lift her to walk.

‘Even she’s drunk, she’s still beautiful. How can a woman be this beautiful even in her most vulnerable situation? The way her hair falls on her face and the way she blink her eyes, but damn she’s a bit heavy for a slim woman.’ Jong Suk said to himself while trying his best to hold on to her.

“What are you thinking?” she asked looking at him.

“Nothing.” He gives him a smile.

Shin Hye noticed that Jong Suk is having a hard time holding her on. “It’s okay, you can let go of my arm. I still can walk. I’m just a bit dizzy.” She said while pushing Jong Suk arm.

Jong Suk stops her from walking as she almost fell as soon as she let go of his arm. “You know what? I’d rather get my arm broken than see you falling on the street. It will be more embarrassing for me.” He grabs her left arm again.

“Yah!” she slaps her arm.

“I’m just kidding. Come on, I’ll just carry you on my back. People are looking on us because you can’t even walk straight. Come on.” He kneels in from of her so she can ride in his back.

“Are you sure? You said I’m heavy and I don’t wanna break your back.” She said hesitating.

“It was a joke. Palli, before I change my mind and let people stare at you all the way to your apartment.” Shin Hye jumps on his back immediately that made Jong Suk smirks.

“Sesang-e what did you eat for dinner.” He said while letting out a heavy breath.

“Yah! Just let me down!” she shouted at him and trying to get down but he hold her legs tighter.

“Miane, I was just trying to make humour. Just hold on to me. I didn’t realize that you are a heavy drinker.” He said while moving his head on the side to glance her.

“I was but I guess my alcohol tolerant lows down since I didn’t have a drink for a long time. I usually don’t get dizzy with just 3 bottles. I always compete with Yong Hwa for 4-5 bottles.” She said smiling with the memory.

“Woah... I can’t even finish two shot glass of soju. You sure know how to have fun.” He said shaking his head.

“Wae?” she asked pulling her away from his head so she could see his reaction.

“I don’t like the taste of it. It’s just too much for my stomach. I tried to drink before with my friends and I got sick for two straight days. Ah, I don’t wanna experienced that again.” He said trying to look at her.

“Yes, many people are like that. But it doesn’t mean that you can’t have fun if you don’t drink. I actually admire people like that, who can enjoy life without alcohol and it’s good for the health too. I find them manlier.” She said leaning closer to him.

Jong Suk is smiling widely with what Shin Hye said. With Shin Hye in his back feeling every inch of her skin and her heartbeat and feeling her warm breath on his neck, he hopes that this night will never end. The silence fills the air again until they reached Shin Hye’s building apartment.

“You can just drop me here. I think I can manage to go up.” She said to him but never letting go of his arm across his neck.

“Ani. I will drop you in front of your apartment.” He said while repositioning her to his back.

Jong Suk walks to the elevator and turn to his side so that Shin Hye can push the up button. As the elevator door opens Shin Hye bows her head in embarrassment as few people are walking out pass them. Jong Suk is bowing his head for respect and greetings as the people stares at them. The get in and thankfully they are the only two inside. Shin Hye accidentally purse Jong Suk’s face when she was trying to brush off some of her fallen her.

“Ah miane. Are you sweating?” she said as she felt the sweat from his face on her hand. “You can put me down here, I’m sure I can manage not to fall.” She goes down from his back as she pulls her muffler to wife his forehead. “Miane. Am I really that heavy?” she asked as she feels his face with her hands.

“Gomawo. It’s okay.” He said as he grabs her hands to put them down. “We’re here. Kajja.” He said holding her right hand.

“Do you wanna go indie for coffee or tea?” she offered him.

“Okay.” He agreed but still feeling nervous as his heart couldn’t stop from beating fast.

Shin Hye made her way straight to the kitchen to make some coffee for the both of them. She feels a bit better as they talk along their way, her head doesn’t hurt that much anymore and her dizziness subsides.

“Do you need help? Aren’t you dizzy?” he said while walking to her direction.

“I’m feeling okay now. Can you grab the pizza in the fridge, I will heat them.” She said pointing on the fridge.

“Woah, you have a lot of yogurt here.” He said as he grabs the box of pizza.

“Yes, I eat yogurt in the morning and before I got to sleep.” She said getting the box from him. “Want some chicken?”

“No. Pizza is okay.” He said looking around her kitchen.

“You love dogs?” he asked as he sees the dog magnets in her fridge.

“Yes. I actually have two dogs, but they are not here. They are staying with my parents. My mom is taking care of them.” Do you have any pets?” she said turning to look at him.

“No. I really don’t have time to take care of a pet right now. But I would love to have one in the future.” He said smiling at her.

Shin Hye put the heated pizza in a plate and walks to the living room, followed by Jong Suk who is holding the two cups of coffee. Shin Hye put the plate on the center table and seated on the mat while Jong Suk seated on couch near her. He hands Shin Hye her coffee while Shin Hye hands him a slice of pizza.

“Aren’t you sleepy?” he asked concern.

“I am, but if I sleep now I will surely have a really bad headache in the morning. So, I need to cool my head first.” He answered while taking a bite of her pizza. “Wanna watch a movie?” she offered as she grabs the dvds sitting on the table. “Do you want an action movie? It’s a movie of a friend of mine. I don’t know if you already watch it.” she showed him the dvd set of Rurouni Keshin.

“Oh, I’ve been looking for that movie. I’ve asked Jong Hyun to get me a copy but I think he already forgot. Where did you get those copy?” he asked amuse.

“Himura Kenshin gave it to me. He knew that I love the anime version of the movie and he wanted me to see his legendary swordsmanship.” She said while flipping the dvd.

“You knew Satoh Takeru?!” he asked surprise.

“Yes, we’ve been friends for a long time. Waeyo?” she said boasting.

“Wow, you have a lot of guy friends. Don’t tell me you are friends with Miura Haruma too.” He said hoping that there’s an exception.

“Yes. How did you know? I did one photoshoot of a magazine with Haruma when I was in college. I actually met Takeru thru Haruma because they are in the same agency.” She said smiling.

“Wow. How many of these guys ad you dated? You are like the real rose among the thorns.” He said again hoping that she’ll say none.

“Just Taka. Takeru thinks I’m a guy just like Hong Ki and Yong Hwa thinks of me. And Haruma had an unrequited love for me but I didn’t know until Taka and I part ways.” She said while playing the dvd.

“Why do they think you’re a guy?” he said while munching pizza.

“I guess because I like guy sports.” She said not sure.

“Guy sports? Like baseball?” he asked amaze.

“Yes. I really love baseball. I love water skiing too and snow skiing. I go skiing with Yong Hwa and Hong Ki on winter. And I love more sports other than those. What about you? What sports do you play?” she asked turning to look at him.

“Ah, I don’t really play any sports because I hate exercising. I am good at Taekwondo though.” He said embarrass.

“Oh like Jong Hyun?” she said while drinking her coffee.

“Yes. We trained together when we were in High school. But I am not active anymore unlike Jong Hyun who is still train.” He said shaking his head.

She continued to tell her story about all her friends while watching the movie. Jong Suk falls for her deeper by knowing these things about her. He didn’t know that Shin Hye has this masculine side of her, because he can only see the feminist in her since the day he met her. He’s puzzled on how Woo Bin doesn’t get jealous with all her guy friends. She’s really close to every one of them, he thinks that maybe Woo Bin has matured and that he really trusts her that much or maybe he just got use to the idea of her being surrounded with all those guys.

The time flies fast as they didn’t noticed that the three dvd movie has finish along with their talking’s. It is now almost 1 in the morning and the two shots of soju are starting to get to Jong Suk head. Shin Hye noticed as Jong Suk is rubbing her head.

“Are you okay?” she asked while sitting beside him after she pulled out the dvd from the player.

“Yes. I guess the soju is starting to get into my head.” He said trying to look okay but in reality his head hurts.

“I guess you can’t go home with that and it is already 1 in the morning. You can stay here if you want. You can use the room that Yong Hwa uses.” She offered with sincerity.

“Are you sure it’s okay?” he said trying to get an assurance.

“Of course. You wanna go to bed now? I’ll just change the covers.” She said while standing from the couch.

Jong Suk holds her hand that prevented her from standing up. “Just do it later, I still want to talk.”

“Okay. I’ll get you water.” She said walking to the fridge.

As soon as Shin Hye walks Jong Suk started to talk to himself again. It’s like becoming his habit of talking to himself. ‘Damn, I think this is the first time that I like having a headache. I could spend the night with her in the same roof. Right, it’s not night anymore, but whatever I hope this will never ends. Is this what fate really wants for me?’ he was interrupted from his thoughts when Shin Hye came with a bottle of water.

“So, what do you wanna talk? I told you almost everything about me.” She said sitting beside him.

“How did you meet Woo Bin?” he asked drinking from the bottle. ‘Pabo-yah! Why would you bring up her boyfriend?’ he cursed to himself.

“Ah, this is a funny story. We met in a convenient store. We actually saw each other at my brother’s wedding but we didn’t formally meet. I was taking my usual early morning walk. On my way back, I passed by the convenient store to buy a drink and I guess I was so tired I didn’t realized that I fell asleep while sitting on the chair outside.” She said smiling with the memory.

“Let me guess, Woo Bin was there eating noodles.” He said confidently.

“Yes. How did you know?” she said puzzled.

“That’s Woo Bin-ah’s style. He always eat breakfast at a convenient store because he doesn’t like eating with his mom.” He said with a smile.

“Right. Anyway, he said he was bored back then, so he tried to mess with me. He kicked the table where I laid my head and of course I woke up annoyed, but I didn’t argue with him.” She said remembering the scene.

“You are so cool. So you just walked away?” he said amazed with her patience.

“Ani. Of course I will not let someone bully me like that. So, what I did was, I slowly stand up from my chair and went closer to him and punch him in the face. He was so shocked that he fell on his chair. And then I walked away without turning back.” She said laughing. “That’s when everything started.”

“So, that’s why he fell in love with you because you were the first one to challenge her. Woah, I couldn’t even imagine Woo Bin being punch by a girl.” He laughs with her.

“So, what about you? What is this thing about a doctor?” she asked curiously.

“Ah it was nothing. It turns out that she as a boyfriend.” He said trying to avoid her eyes.

“That’s sad. So it’s in the past now? Don’t worry you will someone soon.” She said trying to comfort him.

“Yes, I guess so.” He said now being serious.

“Can I know who she is? Jong Hyun said I might know her. Does she works at Seoul General Hospital too?” she said turning to face him.

“Yes she works there. I don’t know if I should tell you.” He said with no intention of telling her.

“Come on. I promise I won’t tell her. And It’s already in the past, so no harm.” She asked with her cute big round eyes looking directly to him.

“Do you really want to know?” he asked looking straight to her eyes that make his heart beat fasts.

Shin Hye’s heart suddenly beat fasts too as soon as Jong Suk look straight to her eyes. “Yes.” She answered not even blinking.

“It’s you.” He said with his loving eyes still fix at hers.

“Mwo?” she asked surprise but not letting her eyes move from his gaze.

Shin Hye froze from his position as Jong Suk confirms for the second time that she’s the woman that Jong Hyun is talking about. She is the one that he likes. Her mind went blank that she could not even blink her eyes. All she can see is his warm and loving eyes.

Jong Suk suddenly feels hot with her stares and he suddenly moves forward to her and kisses her in her lips. Shin Hye was taken by surprise and could not move. She felt something warm inside her, her heart want to jump from her chest and unconsciously, she answered to his kiss. Everyone and everything suddenly disappeared and all she could think about is how good she feels kissing back this man in front of her.

When Jong Suk felt Shin Hye’s mouth not resisting, he deepen the kiss and they are now having a tongue battle inside their mouth. The two are running out of breath but no one wants to let go of the kiss.

No one is saying anything as they let go of the kiss. They need to breathe some air too. Their eyes are still lock up to each other while Jong Suk caresses Shin Hye’s face. Shin Hye initiated the second kiss that made Jong Suk moan from surprise, and of course he didn’t complain. As the air in the room is getting warmer, Jong Suk started to remove the first layer of his clothes which is a blue long sleeve shirt and throws it on the mat. He put his arms up as Shin Hye helped him remove his white shirt and throws it on the floor. Jong Suk put his left hand on Shin Hye’s back and slips it on her red and white stripe long sleeve shirt. Shin Hye moan as she felt the warm hand of Jong Suk in her back. Jong Suk pushes her to the couch that made her lies to her back. As Jong Suk is ing her jeans Shin Hye hit her head with something on the couch. She shouted as Jong Suk pulled her up and rubs the back of her head. Shin Hye turns around and pulls a frame that is sitting on the couch that hit her head. It is the picture of her and Woo Bin that Taka was looking at yesterday. With that, she was put back to the reality.

“I’m sorry, but this is a mistake. God, what am I doing?” she immediately pulls her shirt down and turns away from him.

“Don’t apologize.” He said standing up and gathers his clothes. “I should go.”

“Yes.” She said feeling guilty.

“I just wanna tell you that I’m not regretting anything that happened between us tonight.” He said wearing his clothes while looking at her from her back.

Shin Hye didn’t say anything or even move from his position. He didn’t even look when Jong Suk walked out to the door. She doesn’t know what to do. Her mind is in deep dark hole. She was cursing herself while looking at the frame in her hand. She knew that it wasn’t because of the soju. She’s sure that she loves Woo Bin but why did she did that thing? And why did it felt so good? Now, her mind is switching from Jong Suk’s kiss to Woo Bin’s lovely face.

Tears are starting to fall from her eyes. It feels like she’ll have a heart attack. She couldn’t breathe and she needs to talk to someone, but who? She grabs her phone from the table and dialled someone.

Jong Suk is walking his way to the elevator in deep thought. Though he doesn’t regret anything that he did, he still feels sad for seeing her like that. What is his next step? Now that he knows that she has feelings for him too. She will not answer his kiss if she doesn’t feel anything for him. The elevator opens and he gets in without looking if there is someone in it. Good thing he is alone because people might think he’s going crazy murmuring to himself. Will he pursue her now that he knows her feelings or will he just let it go? One thing is for sure he needs to talk to her about this. The elevator opens on the ground floor and Jong Suk is still in deep thought and didn’t notice that someone is standing in front of him.

“Yah! Jong Suk-ah, watch where you going.” Hwi Jae said avoiding Jong Suk to hit him.

“Ah hyung miane. I didn’t see you there.” He said apologetically.

“It’s because you were in deep thought. What are you doing here?” he said curiously.

“Ah me? Ahmmm... I just visited some friends.” He said lying.

“At this hour? Nugu?” he asked not trying to let go.

“New friends.” He said with a force smile. “Are you just going home?” he asked trying to change the topic.

“Yes, I came from shooting. I want to invite you up but I’m too tired and the twins and your nunna are sleeping.” He said rubbing his forehead.

“Ani, I need to go too.” He said shaking his right hand in him.

“Why aren’t you wearing a jacket? Aren’t you cold?” he asked curiously.

Jong Suk remembered that he forgot to get his jacket at Shin Hye’s apartment. What is he going to do, it’s cold outside and he can’t come up to get his jacket. “Ani. I’m trying to study the weather for the new line. Business thing.” He said forcing a smile.

“That’s crazy. You’re going to catch a cold. Here take this.” Hwi Jae throws him his extra jacket.

“Kansahamnida hyung.” He said while wearing the jacket.

 

Yong Hwa is running out from the elevator to Shin Hye’s apartment. He didn’t bother to press the door bell and just type in Shin Hye’s door code. He pushes the door and walks toward the living room where Shin Hye is still sitting. She has not move from her position since Jong Suk left. But her eyes have swollen from crying.

“Yah, what happened? Why are you crying?” Yong Hwa kneeled in front of her while wiping her tears with his hands.

“It hurts so much I don’t know what to do.” She said crying again.

“Where does it hurt? You wanna go to the hospital?” he asked worriedly.

“I did something that I should have not done.” She said still sobbing.

“What did you do? Come on stop crying and tell me what happened. Here drink some water.” He hands her a bottle of water.

 

Yong Hwa seated beside her and put his left arm around her to console her when he saw a jacket on the other chair.

“Hey, isn’t that Jong Suk’s jacket that he wears in the restaurant? Why did he leave that here? It’s too cold outside, he might catch a cold. Why didn’t you...” Yong Hwa didn’t finish what he was saying when Shin Hye cries out loud.

“Yah! Will you please stop crying? You startled me with that. Why did you just cry out loud I didn’t even say...” he said and suddenly stops.

“Wae?” Shin Hye looks at him.

“Oh my God! Don’t tell me that you and Jong Suk...? Is that what you mean of doing what you should have not done? Yah! Tell me what happened. Did you really do it with Jong Suk? And where is that guy? Why would he leave evidence?” Yong Hwa rubs her nape and looks straight to Shin Hye who stops sobbing.

“What am I going to do? It is your fault. If you didn’t leave me there alone, this will not happen.” She said while putting herself together.

“Yah! I only said to walk you home. I didn’t tell you to do it with him. What were you thinking?” he said trying to control his anger.

“We didn’t do it okay? We almost did it but I was put back to reality and we stop immediately.” She said shouting at him.

“Wait, let me think first.” He said sitting and grabs the bottle of water from Shin Hye and drinks it.

“I cheated on Woo Bin. How am I gonna tell him that it won’t hurt him?” she said looking at a confused Yong Hwa.

“What time do you need to be in the hospital?” Yong Hwa asked putting the bottled water in the table.

“I need to be there at 10.” She said bowing her head.

“It’s 2 in the morning. First wash up and go to bed. I’m tired and I can’t think straight. We’ll talk about it after your work.” He said calming his self.

“Okay. Gomawo Yongie.” She said and hugs him tightly.

 

Yong Hwa woke up early as there is someone buzzing in the door. He looks at his watch and the time is past 6 in the morning and he checks on the screen on who’s visiting Shin Hye at this hour. He almost kicks the wall when he sees who’s the person waiting inside. He immediately walks to the door and open it.

“Yah! What are you doing here? Where’s Shin Hye?” the man said while coming in.

“She’s still asleep. What are you doing here? I thought you’re supposed to go back on Friday?” Yong Hwa said yawning.

“I finish the meeting early so I could get back today. I really miss Shin Hye.” Woo Bin said giving Yong Hwa a smile. “Is this your jacket?” he asked Yong Hwa as he sees the jacket on the chair.

“Yes.” Yong Hwa grabs the jacket immediately.

“Go back to sleep. I’m gonna go to see Shin Hye.” He said pointing to Shin Hye’s room.

Yong Hwa walked back to his room with the jacket on his hand. He shakes her head while looking at the jacket. “I should return it to him.” He said and tossed the jacket in the chair and jumps in the bed.

“Hey, sleeping beauty.” Woo Bin lays beside Shin Hye and gives him a kiss on her cheek.

“Woo Bin-ah? Am I dreaming? Are you really here?” Shin Hye turns around to face him but not opening her eyes. She moves closer and hugs him back.

“Yes I am really here. Just go back to sleep.” Woo Bin tucks the loose hair behind her ear.

“Ah, I’m so happy that you’re here. If this is a dream I don’t wanna wake up.” She inhales on Woo Bin’s neck and falls back to sleep.

“Ah, I miss you too.” Woo Bin said and kisses her hair.

Woo Bin pulls out his phone from his pocket and stare at the screen that says “13 missed calls from ‘Don’t Answer’”. He turns it off and places it at the bedside table.

 

Meanwhile at Lee Residence, Jong Suk just woke up and on his way downstairs when Jong Hyun runs after him.

“Hyung wait up.” Jong Hyun shouted while putting his right arm on Jong Suk shoulder.

“I thought you have an early schedule? What are you still doing here?” Jong Suk asked stopping and looks at Jong Hyun.

“Ah, it got cancelled. What time did you get home last night? I hope you didn’t let Shin Hye carry you back here. So, what happened last night?” Jong Hyun asked curiously as if he knows something.

“Mwo? Nothing happened.” Jong Suk said defensively.

“Woah, why are you being defensive? I’m just asking if you and Shin Hye finished the last bottle that we left.” He said confused.

“Ah is that so. Shin Hye finished it. I only took one shot glass.” He said starting to walk again.

“So, what time did you get here?” he asked again.

“I came 2 in the morning. Why are you asking a lot of questions? Don’t you have anything to do?” he said irritated.

“What’s wrong with you? Anyway, no I don’t have anything today. But I will meet Ji Sung hyung this afternoon. Are you going to the office now?” Jong Hyun asked while walking down the stairs.

“Yes and I’m already late.” Jong Suk said looking at his watch.

“Okay. Be careful hyung.” Jong Hyun said tapping his shoulder.

Jong Suk stops near the door and turn around to face Jong Hyun. “Jong Hyun-ah, can I have Shin Hye’s number?” he asked.

“Okay. Wait.” He pulls out his phone and sends it to Jong Suk. “There I sent it to you. I’m surprise that you don’t have her number.” He said putting back his phone on his pocket.

“Thanks man.” He said and goes out of the house.