Rough Road

Crossroads

After talking to Yong Hwa, Hong Ki and Geun Suk, Shin Hye made her decision to talk to her mother. As long as the three and her mother supports her and understand her, she will be okay. Sure her brother and her brother will do the same for her, she just need to find the time to tell them what’s really going on.

She’s sitting in her living room alone drinking a lavender tea, this makes her calm and can think properly. She just came back an hour ago, Woo Bin was supposed to pick her up in the airport but he was caught by an important meeting in the office so she decided to just take the cab to her apartment. Woo Bin told her that he cleared his schedule for today for them to talk but a sudden meeting was called by one of the director, it must be his mother who called it and just used that old man. But anyway, it’s a good thing too, it helps her to think even though she already know what to say to him.

Looking at the view in her window, her mind returned back when she was talking to her mother before she left Busan.

-Flashback-

“Usually, a mom will say to follow your heart but your heart seem so complicated. So just do what you think is best for yourself.” Mrs. Park advised her.

“But eomma, I don’t wanna hurt them more.” Shin Hye said looking more confused.

“Shin Hye-ah, the more you think about not hurting them, the more you hurt them with your actions. You might not know it but don’t you think Jong Suk-ah was not hurt when you accepted Woo Bin-ah’s proposal? And don’t you think Woo Bin-ah isn’t hurting right now? The fact that he asked his secretary to spy on you means that he already know about you and Jong Suk.” She further explained.

“You’re right eomma. What did I do?” she asked her mom realizing the consequences of her previous action.

“Honestly, I was a little disappointed of what you did but I understand. The heart is really hard to fight with and you are my daughter so I will always be at your side no matter what. But Shin Hye-ah you can’t be selfish, you need to figure out what you really need and what you really want.” Mrs. Park said while looking her in the eyes.

Shin Hye didn’t sleep after talking to her mom. She still doesn’t know what to do but the support her mom and her close friends gives her is enough to pass on tomorrow.

-End of Flashback-

Shin Hye was interrupted by her phone ringing on the center table. She looked at the caller ID before picking it up.

“Eum, Soo Hyun oppa?” she answered the phone.

“You’re in Seoul already right? Can you drop by the hospital for a while? Your ex-boyfriend is here, he’s refusing to take any medication unless it is you who check him.” Soo Hyun said over the phone pissed.

“Ex-boyfriend? Who?” she asked confused.

“Lee Min Ho. He was rushed here for a minor accident. He accidentally cut his hand with the cutter. He was asking for you, he said he’s your ex-boyfriend. And I told him that you’re on leave, he refused to take any treatment. His hand is continuously bleeding.” He said still annoyed.

“Mwo? He’s not my ex-boyfriend. What is he trying to do now?” she said wondering.

“I don’t know. But I think you need to come here now, before he run out of blood.” Soo Hyun said before ending the call.

Shin Hye changed her clothes and texted Woo Bin that she’ll be in the hospital before walking her way there. When she reached the doctor’s lounge, Soo Hyun is already there waiting for her.

“Where is he?” Shin Hye asked throwing her bag in her locker.

“So, you and Lee Min Ho-ssi? Yah, so you’re really on to tall guys.” Soo Hyun .

“Yah! We didn’t have anything okay? It’s just his imagination.” She answered annoyingly.

“And to think that you’re going to see him in his house when you visit his mom. Should Woo Bin worry about that? Or should I tell Woo Bin about it?” Soo Hyun more.

“Tell him what?” she asked wearing his doctor gown.

“About you and Lee Min Ho-ssi. Unless you agreed to be my fake fiancée.” He said trying to blackmail her.

“Are you blackmailing me?” she asked amused. “Better luck next time oppa. You got the wrong stuff to blackmail me. Woo Bin already know about Min Ho oppa liking me.” She said tapping his cheek with her right hand.

Soo Hyun sighed in defeat as they walked to where Min Ho is. Shin Hye entered the room first as Soo Hyun need to answer his phone.

“Okay, I’m here, let’s treat that hand of yours.” Shin Hye said looking at the chart in her hand without noticing the woman standing beside him.

“Unni, thank God you’re here.” Suzy said relief.

“Suzy? What are you doing here?” Shin Hye asked while checking Min Ho’s hand.

“She’s my…” he couldn’t finished his words as Shin Hye press a piece of cloth in his hand to stop the bleeding.

“I think you will need to have stitches.” Shin Hye said checking the cut in his hand which makes Min Ho smirk.

“I love how you hold my hand like that.” He murmurs for Suzy not to hear him. “I should have done this long time ago.”

Shin Hye just smile and pressed the cloth to his cut even harder. Suzy moved closer to Min Ho as Soo Hyun entered the room.

“Ssinz, are you done? We should…” he stopped as soon as he sees Suzy beside Mon Ho. “Yah Suzy what are you doing here?”

“Do you know each other?” Shin Hye asked curiously.

“Neh. She’s my fiancée. What are you doing here?” Soo Hyun asked again.

“I came for Min Ho oppa. He’s the guy I’m taking about that I wanna marry.” She said while clinging onto Min Ho’s arm.

“She’s the fiancée? Ah jinjja, you were always talking about her but I didn’t even asked her name. This is really surprising.” Shin Hye commented.

“I need to call my mom, she needs to see this.” Soo Hyun said rushing outside followed by Suzy, who is begging him not to do it.

“Ah seems like her life is more complicated than mine.” She murmurs.

As soon as Soo Hyun and Suzy were out of the room, Min Ho tried his way to flirt with Shin Hye. In every flirty move that he does accompanied by his flirty smile Shin Hye was intentionally pressing his cut that made him scream in pain.

He grabbed Shin Hye by her waist and Shin Hye could not take it anymore so she flashed her engagement ring to his face. Min Ho bowed his head in embarrassment and immediately let go of Shin Hye.

Shin Hye have known him for a long time and he knew that he was and never been serious when it comes to girls, even with her. And now she just proved that he hasn’t change. She immediately went out the room after treating his cut while Min Ho stayed quiet.

 

Woo Bin is sitting on his chair in his office after a tiring hide and seek with his mother. He hasn’t come home since he returned from Busan. He is trying to avoid his mother for any conversation about Shin Hye. He is sure that his mom already know about the engagement and with the information that Suzy gave her, she will try to poison his mind to get mad at Shin Hye and break the engagement. He prefer to hear it straight from Shin Hye.

Even the emergency board meeting, he knew that it was his mother’s plan to have her way to talk to him, but still he was successful in avoiding her. He looked at his watch, it’s been an hour since Shin Hye texted him that she reached her apartment already. He grabbed his phone on his table and browsed for a name to call when it suddenly beeps. It’s Shin Hye telling him that there’s an emergency at the hospital and she needs to go there. He sighed looking at his phone and decided not to reply for her to think that he’s still in the meeting. Actually, the meeting didn’t happen as he called the old man and threatened him that he will exposed his adultery to his wife if he won’t stop being his mom’s dog. The old man was so scared and called off the meeting and apologized to all concerns. But why did he lie to Shin Hye? He didn’t wanna talk to Shin Hye and wants to know what Jong Kook have found out on his task that he gave him first.

Just when he was dialing Jong Kook’s number, the door of his office opened with Jong Kook walking in with an envelope in his hand.

“Oh hyung, I was about to call you. How’s the flight?” he asked walking in the middle to sit on the couch.

“Ah tiring.” He answered sitting on the sofa on his left side.

“Miane hyung for asking you to do this when you’re on vacation.” Woo Bin said apologetically.

“I don’t really understand you. You just got engaged but why are you doing this? Don’t you trust Shin Hye?” Jong Kook asked looking at him.

“I don’t really know anymore hyung. I want to trust her but there’s this weird feeling in me at I don’t like at all. It feels like there are things that I don’t know about her anymore.” He explained.

“That’s why you asked me to follow her. If you’re not sure about things, you shouldn’t had propose to her in the first place. Doesn’t make things more complicated? When you turned back in the airport after dropping you, I knew something was going on. And the fact that you lied to her that day and today, it just means that you have a doubt.” He said trying to help him figure out things.

“I guess you’re right. You think I’m becoming selfish for wanting her to be with me? She could just reject when I proposed to her.” He added.

“Yah, you proposed in front of her family and friends. You think she could just say no when her parents were watching? That would worry them and I’m sure she doesn’t want that.” He said trying to show him the obvious.

“Ah, I should have known, that’s why she doesn’t want them to bother about my mom opposing our relationship, she doesn’t want them to worry. I could not think clearly when I saw her with Jong Suk and all I want was to let anyone know that she’s mine. And I was afraid that she was going to break up with me when she heard me on the phone.” Woo Bin said realizing the situation.

“Heard you on the phone? What did she heard?” Jong Kook asked curiously.

“She heard me talking to Jung Joo Yeon. She was crying and Jong Suk saw us. I panicked so I talked to her brother and her father about me proposing that night.” He explained.

Jong Kook let out a heavy sigh hearing him. “Ah jinjja, you made a decision out of panic. Have you settled it with Jung Joo Yeon?” he asked shifting from his seat.

“Neh. I talked to her yesterday. As I suspected it, it was all my mother’s plan. I hope she won’t bother me anymore. Anyway, what did you find out?” Woo Bin asked remembering why he sent Jong Kook in Busan.

“Do you really wanna?” He asked in a serious tone while opening the envelope.

Woo Bin took the pictures from the envelope. “Why did they meet?” he asked while looking at the pictures.

“She returned his phone. I think he lost it in their house when you had the party.” He explained.

“I’ve never seen her smile like this for a long time.” He said looking at the picture when they were playing in the beach. “Those eyes, I miss those look in her eyes when she smiles. Ah, I miss her so much. I think I put a lot of pressure to her regarding the engagement. I just want everything’s back to the way they were.” He said and let out a heavy sigh again.

“Do you really think that will happen? Just look to her eyes and you know that you can’t go back there. I’ve known her before you even got together and I’ve never seen her eyes glow like that. Did you get what I mean?” Jong Kook hinted.

Woo Bin knows exactly what Jong Kook is saying but didn’t answer and kept on looking at her solo picture, with her radiant smile and her wet hair. It’s time to face the truth but can he handle the truth?

 

Meanwhile, Shin Hye is sitting on a bench in the hospital garden looking at the patients resting and smelling the fresh air and admiring the beautiful trees and flowers around. She just wanted to enjoy this day so she decided to stay for a while, anyway Woo Bin might still be in the meeting because he hasn’t text her yet.

Minutes have passed and she never moved from her position, peace is starting to get in her mind. Breathing the fresh air and not thinking anything, just living life to the fullest. She stared at the clear blue sky with a smile in her face when she saw the bunch of student running and giggling.

“Ah, is he an idol?” a girl student asked while running.

“Ah, there might be another one admitted today. From what group is he this time? Should I check?” she murmured thinking if she should check whose the celebrity is.

 Shin Hye was about to stand up to check who’s the cause of the commotion when he heard a familiar voice from her back. She immediately turned her back to confirm the owner of the voice.

“Jong Suk-ah, what are you doing here? I thought you’re still in Busan. Ani, you’re supposed to be in Busan.” She said surprise.

“Ji Sung hyung called the entire family early in the morning just to say that he rushed Bo Young nunna to the hospital. I was so worried that hurried back.” He explained.

“Why? What happened to her?” she asked concern.

“She gave birth. Ji Sung hyung forgot to add that in his message, so we all rushed here worried.” He added while sitting beside her.

“So the commotion is…” she was not able to finish her sentence.

“Jong Hyun. He rushed here too because of the message. And now, he can’t get out because he’s surrounded by fans.” He continued.

“How did you know I’m here?” she asked with a smile forming in her lips.

Jong Suk smirk seeing her smile. “I didn’t. The room is crowded and I came here to breathe some fresh air.” He said now giving her a teasing smile. “What are you doing here? I thought you’re still on leave?” he said turning to face her.

Shin Hye let out a heavy sigh before answering. “I was requested by a patient. He refused to take treatment unless I was the one treating him.” She answered.

“He. A guy who wanted your attention. Why didn’t I think of that before?” he murmured.

“What is that?” she asked not hearing what he just said.

“I will need to go to Japan for a while. Hyung will not make it because of Bo Young nunna, so I need to go there personally. There are some business that needs to be done there.” He said letting the words on his mind slipped through his mouth.

“Why are you telling me this?” she asked curiously.

“I don’t know. I just thought that you should know. Just forget about it.” He said taking back what he just said. “I just thought you might miss me.” He murmured but she heard him this time.

“How long are you going to stay there?” she asked with her serious face.

“A month or two. Why are you asking?” he asked hoping.

“I don’t know. I just thought I might miss you when you’re gone.” She said with a teasing smile.

“Ah, did you hear me? Aish, jinjja.” He said disappointed while she was laughing.

“But seriously, I will miss you. I will be very busy the next coming days. Be careful in there and don’t skip a meal.” She said giving him a warm smile.

“Neh. I’m going to miss you too. I guess when I come back you’re probably be married to Woo Bin. Be always happy Shin Hye, you deserve it.” He said now getting serious and looking closely to her face. “Huh.”

“What? Is there something in my face?” she asked moving her face away from him.

Jong Suk moved closer and hold her shoulder. “Wait. An eyelash fell from your eyes. I’m going to take it so you can make a wish.” He said picking up the eyelash under her right eye.

“Did you get it?” she asked wiping her right face.

Jong Suk held out his hand with the eyelash in between his index finger and thumb. “Make a wish.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes and put her hand together. She let out a heavy sigh before opening eyes. “Don’t ask me what I wish for, it’s a secret.” She said giving him a smile.

“Jong Suk held out his left palm in defeat. “Now, blow it away and hope that your wish will come true.”

Shin Hye blew the strand of her eyelash as Jong Suk parted his fingers holding the thing. Shin Hye looked up and met Jong Suk’s eyes. They stayed looking at each other for a while, like studying each blink of their eyes or talking silently through their eyes. Shin Hye suddenly felt her heartbeat’s fast as Jong Suk lean closer to her.

‘What is he doing? Is he going to kiss me again? No, this can’t be happening. Shin Hye get back to yourself and say something.’ She said to herself.

“You’re really beautiful. I can just look at you like this the whole day. I will never get tired looking at your doe like eyes.” Jong Suk said even before she say something.

Shin Hye was plastered on how close Jong Suk’s face is with her. She could hear and feel his breathing to her face. Just looking on how he looked at her, her heart wants to jump from her chest.

As for Jong Suk, he didn’t say anything after and just look at her beautiful face. The only thing that’s going on in his mind is his desire to kiss this girl in front of him, to held her in his arm and just make her his, but of course he can’t just do it. But wait, this might be the last time that he will be close to her like this so why not just do it. A smile was form to his face when he saw how plastered Shin Hye is.

Shin Hye’s mind and body are fighting but she didn’t say anything or even moved. Jong Suk was leaning closer to kiss her when a fist went flying to his pale white face. Shin Hye shouted in shock as Jong Suk fell from the bench with his hand on his face where the fist landed.