Road Patch

Crossroads

Shin Hye took Woo Bin in the Doctor’s Café so they can talk without all the nurses staring at him in the hallway.

“When did you arrived? I thought you’re still in LA?” she asked giving him a glass of water.

“20 minutes ago. I came straight here from the airport. I wanted to see you first. How are you doing?” he asked sweetly.

“It’s much better now that Dr. Yoo is here. He allowed me to have a day off yesterday.” She answered. “Ah your mother will hate me more if she finds out that you came to see me first before her.” She said sighing.

“Don’t worry she’ in Paris so she won’t really care.” He said winking at her.

“Thank goodness. So, why are you here?” she asked curiously.

“Business. One of the investors in LA will come here to visit the hotel and I need to personally accommodate him.” He boast.

“Wow, that’s big. You’re going for the states. I’m really proud of you. So, how long are you going to stay here?” she said proudly.

“A month and I’m flying to New York after for my long awaited vacation. Maybe we can hang out while I’m here.” He suggested.

“Neh, if I am not that busy.” He said sighing.

“Oh, are you still on evaluation to get your own office? Ah, Dr. Yoo is really something.” He said shaking his head.

“Neh. He’s the kind of man, that if you want something you need to work your off to have it.” She said and suddenly her stomach growls. “Ah boegopa.” She complains.

“Yah! Working hard doesn’t mean you have to starve yourself. Ah jinjja, let’s go and grab some lunch. It is your break anyway.” He scolded her.

“I’m not starving myself. I woke up early to get here and I just sipped a cup of coffee on my way. I was supposed to eat something at the café but Dr. Yoo called me so I hurried here. And I can’t go out to eat.” She explained.

“Wae? Is Dr. Yoo preventing you to go out and eat? I’m going to talk to him.” He said with an angry voice.

“Pabo-yah! He’s not preventing to me to eat. I’m actually waiting for someone who’s bringing my lunch.” She said smiling sweetly.

“What? Who? Are you dating someone now? It isn’t Soo Hyun hyung, is he?” he asked curiously.

“It’s not a date, I think. It’s just a lunch.” She answered unsure.

“But you’re waiting for him and you’re eating together. That’s dating. Who is it?” he asked impatiently.

“Jong Suk.” She answered directly.

“Jong Suk? Lee Jong Suk? He’s here? Since when? You’re dating him now?” he asked surprised.

“We are not. It’s just lunch. I always eat lunch with Ha Neul-ah and Soo Hyun oppa, but it doesn’t mean we are dating.” She said fidgeting.

“What did you say? Of course we are dating. Yah, Woo Bin-ah, you can’t make your move on her, we are officially dating. And you, you can’t eat lunch, dinner or even breakfast with anyone else but me.” Jong Suk said firmly while coming in behind her from the door.

“Yah! When did I agree to that? And you can’t just tell me what to do and to eat with. I’m a free woman.” She said sulking.

“Yah. You haven’t even started your relationship but you’re already fighting.” Woo Bin commented shaking his head. “When did you get here? Don’t worry I’m not making a move on her. We already passed that stage, right?” he said winking at her.

“It’s not fighting, it’s aegyo romance. I love seeing her when she sulks.” He said giving her a warm smile and seated beside her.

“Yah, we’re not done yet. When did I agree to date you?” she asked turning to look at him.

“Last night.” He said pulling out the lunch boxes in the box.

“I only agree to have lunch with you. And you didn’t even ask me if I’m willing to date you.” She said still sulking.

“Yah. He doesn’t need your permission to date you, it is already obvious. Just date him and eat this.” Woo Bin commented and offered her a piece of kimbab.

“Yah! Why are you eating our food? I brought these for us to eat.” Jong Suk grabbed the box of kimbab.

“Yah. You still owe me something. You can’t date her if I didn’t broke up with her. So be nice to me or I will tell her not to date you.” He said taking back the box of kimbab.

“Mworageo? You broke up with me? Ah jinjja, I can’t believe this. Do you really wanna get back to that?” she said in disbelief.

“Just eat, you said you’re starving. Here.” Woo Bin said and hands her a chopstick.

“Ah, you’ve been holding on and waiting for me? Mianhe, Ji Sung hyung got me stock in the office with the marketing team. I will make it up with you and treat you a dinner tonight.” He apologized while caressing her hair.

“Yah, don’t do that in front of me, it’s disgusting. Here just eat.” Woo Bin said giving him a chopstick. “Wait. What happened last night?” Woo Bin stooped eating and look at them curiously.

“We kissed in front of her apartment.” Jong Suk answered directly and proudly.

“Yah!” she shouted pushing him away from her. “You stole a kissed from me.” She added and slapped his arm.

“Apeu!” he said rubbing his arm. “I told you that you can kiss me back so it would be fair but instead you threatened to kill me. It’s never too late to kiss me back anyway.” He said pouting his lips for her to kiss.

“Pyontae!” she said and pinched his lips instead while Woo Bin was laughing while watching them bicker.

“Huh, I think we made a good decision to break up or she would have killed me by now.

“Neh, that’s the greatest thing that you did.” Jong Suk said pulling Shin Hye closer to her.

“Huh, I thought I would never see you two like this after what happened. I’m really glad that we are freely and meeting like this.” She said with a light smile.

“Yah, we are friends before we even met you and we will stay friends no matter what. We may have misunderstandings and fights in the past but our friendship is the most important. As they say, time heals everything, and we just took the right amount of time to heal. Right Ddochi?” Woo Bin said honestly.

“Neh Dino. Friendship is all about fights and misunderstandings and not always fun and parties. They made you and the bond stronger.” Jong Suk added.

“Neh. Shin Hye knows that better because she has a lot of friends.” Woo Bin commented.

“Wae?” Jong Suk asked when he sees Shin Hye sad.

“I suddenly miss Hong Ki and Yong Hwa. We used to call each other with our nicknames too.” She said sighing.

“What would it be your nickname for me?” Jong Suk asked with a sweet smile.

“Ahuumm… Tofu. I will call you tofu because you’re so white.” She answered with a naughty smile.

“Okay, I will call you Sulky then.” He said caressing her cheeks.

“Yah don’t do that in front of me. It’s disgusting.” Woo Bin said giving them a glare.

“I read about you on the magazine. The most sought bachelor of his generation ah.” He said quoting the title of the cover of the magazine.

“Mwo? Another magazine? Wow, your mom is really daebak. I think she’s planning to have a dating game for you on television next.” She said in disbelief. “Don’t believe whatever you read on that magazine. He’s not a bachelor, he’s secretly dating someone in LA.” She said to Jong Suk.

“Ah, it’s eomoni again. Will she not meet eomoni’s standard? Is she a foreigner?” he asked curiously to Woo Bin bit Woo Bin just gave Shin Hye an eye and smile.

“She’s not. She’s much older than him so his mom will definitely not like that. She’s a model and she lives alone.” She answered.

“Wait. Why are you answering for him? And how did you know all that?” he asked again confused.

“He told me.” She simply answered.

“I started to call her again when I realized that I couldn’t live without her. I tried to win her back but couldn’t.” he explained.

“And you finally realize that we are better this way, right?” she said giving him a sweet smile.

“Yah, I get the point, just don’t smile like that to him.” The easily get jealous Jong Suk said pouting while putting his chopstick down to get her attention.

“He’s jealous.” Woo Bin commented.

“Wae? Now I can’t even smile?” she asked teasing him.

“Shin Hye-yah. Dr. Yoo is looking for you. He said he needs to talk to you.” Soo Hyun informed coming from the door.

“Ah jinjja? It might be about the office.” She said excitedly and ate another piece of kimbab before standing up.

“Yah drink your water first.” Jong Suk said giving her a glass of water.

“Gomawo.” She said after drinking and disappeared.

“Did you bring a desert?” Soo Hyun asked looking at the boxes of food.

“Here.” Woo Bin said handling him the box of fruits. “Yah, you should learn to control your emotion. Shin Hye has a lot of male friends and she’s really close to them. Getting easily jealous will not be good if you really wanna be with her.” He advised.

“Neh. Shin Hye is a loyal friend. She gets along with everyone and if she tagged you as a friend, it will be forever.” Soo Hyun commented.

“I know she’s friendly and I know too that she’s very close to Yong Hwa.” Jong Suk said.

“She is but she’s closer to Hong Ki now because Yong Hwa is on tour. They hang out every other week and they call it their bowling night.” Soo Hyun revealed.

“How did you know this?” Jong Suk asked curiously.

“I go with them. I love bowling so Shin Hye asked me to be part of it.” He answered.

“How did you do it?” Jong Suk asked to Woo Bin.

“You will get used to it. Like what hyung said, she’s a very loyal friend and she gets along with everyone but that’s all. Is she tagged you as her friend you will forever stay in that friend zone. She’s one of the boys, so they threat her as their brother. You will feel the difference along the way and you will get used to the way she threat her friends.

“But aren’t they falling for her?” he asked intrigue.

“Some are but they know her restrictions so they rather stay in that friend zone than loose her as a friend.” Soo Hyun explained.

“I will keep that in mind. I will learn to control my jealousy from now on.” Jong Suk finalized.

“You just need to trust her.” Soo Hyun advised.

“What it is about the new office anyway?” Jong Suk asked curiously.

“There’s a vacant office after Dr. Yoo’s assistant left and Shin Hye asked him to just give it to her. She’s been studying a lot lately and she needs her privacy.” Soo Hyun answered.

“She’s back to university?” Jong Suk asked puzzled.

“Neh. She’s taking her masters. She’s pretty amazing on how she handles her time. I always worry about her when she just falls asleep while we’re talking on the phone.” Woo Bin said remembering.

 

At Dr. Yoo’s office where Shin Hye is looking at his collection of medical books.

“Aacccchhhhooo…” Shin Hye sneezed.

“Do you have colds? You should take a medicine before it gets worse.” Dr. Yoo said.

“Ani. Maybe someone is talking about me.” She said shaking her head. “May I borrow these books?” she asked showing him two books in her hands.

“Neh. You can borrow whatever books in there. How’s your study?” he asked.

“It’s fine. Thank you by the way for helping me get in and for adjusting my schedule to attend my classes.” She said smiling.

“You know that I’m not doing it for you right? And you need to work extra hours when you don’t have classes.” He said with a bossy tone.

“I know but I still wanna thank you.” She said still smiling.

“How’s your abeoji?” Dr. Yoo asked.

“He’s doing fine. I just talked to him last week and he told me that you invited him to be a speaker on the seminar next week.” She answered sitting on the chair in front of his table.

“I’m really glad that he said yes. I was planning to visit him in Busan and convinced him personally if he refused, but as always he’s a very considerate man.” He commented.

“Neh he is.” She said proudly.

“And about that office. Here.” Dr. Yoo said dropping the key on the table and pushed it to her direction.

“Seriously?” she exclaimed in disbelief.

“Dr. Kim told me that you’re having a hard time studying in the Doctor’s lounge when everyone is there. But if you don’t want it it’s fine. I can always give it to someone.” He said taking back the key.

Shin Hye grabbed it. “Of course not. I want it, I was the one requested it to you. I will take care of it. Kansahamnida.” She said bowing her head.

“I know you will.” He agreed giving her a wink. “I think we’re done here and you need to do your round now, lunch break is over.” He said getting his coat.

“Are you leaving now?” she asked standing from her chair.

“Neh. I’m going to meet Dr. Kang Ho Dong to finalize the things for next week seminar. I think I will need to get my ears check after this, I feel like my eardrums are going to explode every time I hear his loud voice.” He said jokingly.

“You’ve been friends for years and you’re still not use to him. Good luck to you then.” She said before going out and check her new office.

 

Hours passes since Jong Suk came back to his office as soon as he finished eating lunch with Woo Bin and Soo Hyun. Well, it wasn’t what he was expecting but he was glad that he met Woo Bin there. He knew that sooner or later he needed to face Woo Bin and he was thankful that everything is okay between them now. Now, he only needs to think of Shin Hye and how to convince her to take him in, in her life. Wait, aren’t they together yet? Well, he just need to make her say it.

“Yah, aren’t your jaws hurt? You’ve been smiling like there’s no tomorrow since you got here. Mrs. Kim is starting to worry about you.” Ji Sung said coming from the door with a handful of folders.

“Hyung, I’m going out at 4pm, I need to pick up Shin Hye in the hospital.” He said after seeing the folders in his hand.

“Don’t worry you don’t need to finish these today. I’m just giving it to you now for tomorrow.” He said placing the folders in his table. “So, what happened?”

“I met Woo Bin-ah, he was there too.” He said walking to sit on the couch.

“Heol. He’s back?” Ji Sung exclaimed.

“Neh. He was there to see Shin Hye.” He answered looking at some of the papers Ji Sung brought him.

“I heard he’s still single. Is he trying to win her back?” Ji Sung asked curiously.

“Ani. He has a girlfriend already but he’s keeping it secret so that his mom wouldn’t know. She will not like his new girlfriend.” He answered with a smile.

“Wae?” he asked curiously.

“She’s much older than him and she lives alone.” He explained.

“Ah, not family oriented. Let me guess, she grew up in the states? Ah, his mom will always get in his tail unless he married soon.” He said in disbelief. “And that’s why you can’t stop smiling. So everything went well between the two of you. What about between you and Shin Hye?” he asked again curiously.

“We’re good but a little confuse too. I mean, she agreed to have a meal with me and meet me. We even kissed, I mean I kissed her but she said we’re still not officially dating.” He answered now puzzle.

“I get what you mean. It took me six months to make my wife say that I’m her boyfriend. Huh, I almost gave up that time. I mean, I knew that he loves me too but I didn’t have the assurance that she’s just mine.” He said sympathizing with him.

“Neh same here. What did you do to make her admit?” he asked curiously.

“I lay-lowed for a bit. I followed her wherever she went and bugged her with calls and I just suddenly stopped doing it. She was afraid that I gave up and she called me to meet her in one of her friends meeting and that was when she introduced me as her boyfriend. I knew then that I won over her and I never let my sight out of her.” He said smiling with the memory.

“Ah I don’t think that will work with Shin Hye. We might really end up not being together and stay in the friend zone forever too. I can’t take that risk. I need to think of other ways to spill it to her.” He said thinking deeply.

“Why don’t you make her jealous?” Ji Sung suggested.

“That won’t work either because she’s not the jealous type.” He answered.

“Ah that’s hard. She’s a tough woman.” He said shaking his head.

“I should call her to know what time I should get her.” He said dialing his phone.

“Uhm, Jong Suk-ah.” Shin Hye answered when her phone rang while walking to the room of one of her patient.

“What time should I go and get you there?” he asked looking at the wall clock.

“You don’t need to get me I will be late. I need to take over Dr. Oh’s shift because he has an emergency at home.” She answered.

“How late?” he asked again.

Shin Hye checked on the doctor’s board. “About 11:40PM.” She said after checking Dr. Oh’s name.

“Should we just eat dinner then? I’ll bring you dinner.” He suggested.

“I love that but Dr. Yoo will buy us dinner for staying late. Dr. Kim and Dr. Kang will stay too. Mianhe.” She said apologetically.

“Ah is that so? I will see you tomorrow then.” He said disappointed before ending the call.

“Yah. Director Kwon’s daughter is coming tomorrow. Did you forget?” Ji Sung reminded him.

“Heol. I totally forgot about that. Can you just come and accompany her, please?” he asked almost like begging him.

“I would like to help you with that but I need to go with your nunna for the baby’s flu shot.” He said.

“But I just told Shin Hye that I’m going to see her tomorrow.” He said worried.

“Just call her again and tell her something came up at work and you’ll just see her the next day. You can even take the whole day stalking her if you want. Just get through the day with Director Kwon’s daughter.” He said with a grin. “It was his request that you accompany her while she’s here because his doctor didn’t allow him to travel for a while. I think he wants you to be close to her.” He said. “You’re friends with her right?” he added.

“Neh we get along well, she’s really nice and smart. We’ve met and went out a few times when I was in Japan.” He said remembering.

“I think he’s planning to transfer his stocks to her so he could get some rest in the states.” He observed.

“Ah, I hope he gets better soon. His health is the most important thing.” He said letting out a sigh. “I should finish these papers while waiting for Shin Hye to finish.” He said starting to open the folders in his table.

“Are you going to see her tonight?” he asked curiously.

“I need to see tonight if I won’t be able to see her tomorrow and I need to tell her that my schedule changed.” He said giving him a smile.

“Good luck then. I need to go home in a few minutes. Don’t work out yourself with those.” He said before leaving.

 

Shin Hye just finish her last round and she’s walking back to the Doctor’s Lounge with a smile. Even though she took another shift, it was not that hard because Dr. Oh’s patients were very nice and cooperative unlike her patient Mr. Kim, who’s giving her a hard time when she goes to check on him. She enters the room and its dark, the lights are all out. She turned the switch on and saw Soo Hyun sleeping on one of the bed.

“Yah, aren’t you going home?” she asked checking her things on her bag.

“Ani. My mom is up to something again so it’s better to stay here.” He answered without moving.

“Another blind date ah? Keure, I think Ha Neulie will going to stay too because his car broke earlier. She said looking at her watch.

Soo Hyun turned to face her. “Are you sure you want to go home this late? Do you want me to drive you home?” he offered.

“Ani. You’re too sleepy to drive and besides I’m used going home this late. It’s not the first time that I had a late shift. I will ask the security to call me a taxi.” She answered calmly.

“Ara, be careful then.” He said going back to his original position.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said and Soo Hyun waved his hand to her.

She’s standing in front of the elevator waiting for it to open to make her down to the ground floor when he thought about Jong Suk. She pulled out her phone from her bag to check any message or even just a missed call. Her face lighted when she saw an envelope on the top of her phone screen and she immediately opened it. She frown her disappointment when she sees the message, it was from her service provider reminding her of her latest bill due date.

“Yah! I just pay weeks ago and now you’re reminding me that I need to pay next week again? Ah jinjja, this service. Why don’t you just text Jong Suk and remind him to send his girlfriend a message than wasting it on reminding me about my due date? I will gladly pay every week if you can do that.” She said complaining when the elevator door opened. Good thing no one was inside to hear her complains.

“Ah I’m so hungry I haven’t eat anything since dinner. I should eat something before going home. Uhm, what should I eat?” she stopped complaining after hearing her stomach growls of hunger.

She stepped out of the elevator and walks her way out thinking about food. She was looking around while she passed by the information desk when she noticed someone sitting alone on the waiting area near the entrance door. The guy is fast asleep with his head tilting up and down trying to prevent it from falling. A smile formed in her face with the sight of the guy in his most innocent look.

“He must be really tired.” She murmured while approaching to where the guy is sitting. “Ah so stubborn.” She said when she supped his face with her hands and kisses his forehead.

Jong Suk opens his eyes when she felt something cold in his face and his forehead. “Hey, are you done?” he said clearing his sight with his hand.

“Neh. You should just went home and rest. I told you that you don’t need to come here tonight. Have you eaten?” she asked holding his hand.

Jong Suk looked at her and caresses her hands. “I like it when you hold my hand like this. No, I haven’t eaten yet. I was planning to come her for dinner but I was absorbed in finishing some papers in the office.”

“You haven’t had a dinner yet. Yah, do you wanna get sick?” she said pulling out her hands and hit him in the shoulder.

“I don’t mind being sick if I have a doctor like you to take good care of me.” He said holding her hands back.

“I will take good care of you even if you’re not sick, so please don’t get sick. Let’s go and get something to eat, I’m starving. I haven’t eat anything since dinner.” She said pulling him up from his seat.

“What do you wanna eat?” he asked standing.

“There’s an Udon restaurant near my building, so let’s eat some hot Udon.” She said giving him a smile. “You’re hands are cold.” He said rubbing his hands with hers.

“They are warm now.” He said putting his right hand with her left hand in his coat pocket. “Ah, this is much better.” He said and gives her a peck on her lips.

“Ah, Shin Hye-yah, are you going home?” Dr. Yoo asked coming in. “Ah, Jong Suk-ah you’re here too. How’s your mom?”

“She’s doing fine. She’s on vacation with her friends now.” He answered.

“I thought you already left?” Shin Hye asked curiously.

“Neh but I forgot my phone in my table. I’m going to get it back.” He said when he noticed their hands in Jong Suk’s coat pocket. “Yah, I think your mom will be happy about you dating her. You’re such a lucky guy so take good care of her.” He said patting his shoulder. “I will see you tomorrow.” He said to Shin Hye before leaving.

“Where did you park your car?” she asked looking around the street.

“In the office. I wanted to see the night view of the city so I walked on my way here. Wae?” he asked giving her a curious look.

“Don’t tell me you’re planning to walk back to your office at this hour to get your car?” she said assuming.

“Why would I do that? Besides, the office is closed now and it’s too scary in the parking late when it’s dark.” He said cringing with the thought.

“The how are you going to go home? You’ll just take a taxi?” she asked worriedly.

“Who said about going home? My mom is not even home, so no one is waiting for me there.” He said honestly.

“Then when are you going to stay?” she asked innocently but her heart is racing.

“In your house of course. Don’t tell me you’re planning to send me home at this hour when I’m so tired and sleepy? Or should I just call Se Yeon and stay in her house for the night?” he said trying to test her.

“Yah!” she said hitting him again. “I didn’t say that! But you’re going to stay in the other room.” She strictly said.

“Okay, as long as we’re in the same roof.” He gives her a naughty smile. “Don’t try to get into my room when I’m asleep or do something naughty to me when I’m asleep.” He said covering his body with his coat. “Remember I’m a black belt in Taekwondo.” He warned and gives a naughty wink.

“Arasso. I was about to change my mind and tell you to just stay in my room with me because it’s cold. But okay, be sure to lock your door and I will surely lock mine because I’m afraid of your Taekwondo skills.” She said and hurriedly walk leaving him in awe.

“Seriously? Jong Suk-ah pabo! Yah! I was kidding. I don’t even know how to spell Taekwondo. Shin Hye-yah!” he called and walks fast to reach her.