Curb Extension

Crossroads

Jong Suk could not believe that after trying so hard to avoid Shin Hye, he will run to her. Well, he thought that because she lives in the same building, he might run to her eventually but never had he imagined that he will see her in his hyung’s house. Now, he’s sure that it is fate, but what is he going to do with this fate? The feelings that he has for her now resurfacing, and he don’t know if he should be happy that fate is in his way or be sad because he can never have the girl that fate had brought him. His heart is beating fast by just looking at her and Bo Young notice the look in his eyes.

“Oh, you know each other.” Bo Young said gazing at Jong Suk.

Jong Suk saw how his nunna gazes at him so he answers abruptly before she teases him to Shin Hye. “Yes, she’s Woo Bin’s girlfriend.”

“Kim Woo Bin?” she asked Shin Hye.

“Neh.” Shin Hye gives her a warm smile.

“I’ll just prepare the table so we can eat. Shin Hye I owe you a lunch so just eat with us here.” Hwi Jae said walking to the kitchen.

“Neh. I’ll help you.” Shin Hye offered.

“It’s ok I’ll help him. Watch the twins with Jong Suk.” Bo Young smiles at her and winks at Jong Suk.

“Ah jinjja.” Jong Suk said after seeing Bo Young’s wink.

“What is that?” Shin Hye asks him.

“Ah nothing. Lee Seo Jun, come with me. Do you wanna watch Poli?” Jong Suk said while grabbing Seo Jun to sit on the sofa.

Jong Suk knew that he’s been busted by his nunna. He’s sure that she will never leave him alone now that she knows who the girl that he likes is.

“How are you? I’ve never see you after you walked me home.” Shin Hye asks while sitting beside him in the couch.

“I’ve been very busy at work. How are you and Woo Bin?” he asks not looking at her.

“We’re good. Woo Bin is in China right now for business.” She said with sad eyes.

“You miss him already?” Jong Suk noticed her sad eyes. “Seo Jun-ah, come here. Give this beautiful nunna a big heart.” Jong Suk put his hand in his head making a big heart which Seo Jun copied.

“Saranghaeyo.” Seo Jun said in his cute baby voice.

Shin Hye hugs Seo Jun. “Ah, saranghae Seo Jun-ah.”

Jong Suk can’t help to smile while looking at Shin Hye hugging Seo Jun like hugging her own child. Of course he thought of having his own child before but looking at the scene in front of him gives him a different feeling. It’s a happy warm feeling inside him. Shin Hye noticed his cute smile when they suddenly locked eyes that make Jong Suk face and ears turn red. Jong Suk suddenly turns his head and grabs Seo Jun.

“Seo Jun-ah give nunna a bbo bbo.” He stands Seo Jun in between them facing Shin Hye.

Seo Jun gives Shin Hye a peck on her lips that makes Shin Hye smile. Seo Jun suddenly grabs Jong Suk’s hand and points at Shin Hye’s lips and said “Bbo bbo nunna.”

“Mwo?” Jong Suk asks in shock while looking at Shin Hye.

“I think he wants you to give me a kiss too.” Shin Hye winks at him.

“Bbo bbo nunna... bbo bbo nunna...” Seo Jun now grabbing Jong Suk towards Shin Hye and about to throw a tantrum.

“Ok Seo Jun-ah, samchoon is goig to give nunna a bbo bbo too.”Shin Hye said looking at Jong Suk while pointing in her right cheek.

Jong Suk was about to peck Shin Hye’s right cheek when her phone rings. Seo Jun hurriedly goes down the couch when he heard the ringing on Shin Hye’s bag.

“I think that’s your phone.” Jong Suk said shyly moving away from her.

Shin Hye suddenly feel embarrass. She doesn’t know why her heart suddenly beats fast by just thinking Jong Suk kissing her. She shakes the idea on her mind because she knows it is not right to think of kissing another man while she has a loyal and loving boyfriend whom she misses so much. She grabs her phone from her bag on the couch and answers the call.

“Yeobeosaeyo?” she said on the other line.

“Yah, where are you? We’re here in your apartment.” Hong Ki said shouting on the other line.

“Hong Ki-yah?” she said looking at her phone to confirm the caller. “What are you doing here? I thought you’re in Japan?”

“I came back last night. Come here, palli I’m starving already. We bought lunch.” Hong Ki said.

“Is that a tv am I hearing? Are you inside my apartment?” Shin Hye said confuse.

“Neh. Yong Hwa opened the door because we were buzzing for a long time and no one was answering. I almost break your door to let us in, you know.” Hong Ki said laughing.

Jong Suk keeps his eyes fix on her while he’s playing with the twins in their small table.

“Arasso, I’m coming.” She ended the call and let out a sigh.

“Ok. Let’s eat.” Hwi Jae calls out.

“Oppa, I need to go home now miane. There are intruders in my apartment.” Shin Hye said to Hwi Jae while putting her phone in her bag.

“Intruders?” Hwi Jae asks confuse.

“Its Yong Hwa and Hong Ki. He just came from japan and wants to see me.” Shin Hye said.

“Oh, I thought we can have a chat after lunch. Can we meet some other time?” Bo Young asks teasing Jong Suk.

“Of course we can. Miane.” She said apologetically to Bo Young.

“Is it ok if I get your number to Hwi Jae oppa?” she asks smiling.

“Of course. Enjoy your meal.” She bows her head to Hwi Jae and Bo Young.

“Lee Seo Jun, Lee Seo Eon, nunna is leaving, say goodbye.” Hwi Jae said to his twins while forcefully bowing their heads with the help of his hands.

Shin Hye kissed the twins before leaving and waved to Jong Suk while smiling. Bo Young noticed the look in Shin Hye’s eyes and look at Jong Suk, who didn’t say anything and just nod his head to Shin Hye.

 

Meanwhile, at Shin Hye’s apartment upstairs Yong Hwa and Hong Ki are preparing the lunch they bought. Well, it’s not really a meal for lunch, they bought two boxes of pizza and chicken and a lot of potato chips, which is the favourite snack of Shin Hye. While waiting for Shin Hye, Taka is busy looking around the house, well he is particularly looking at every picture frames around the house. It has the parents of Shin Hye, her brother and his wife and of course Woo Bin and her.

“Ssinz boyfriend is really tall. Is he a model?” Taka asked Hong Ki holding a picture of Woo Bin and Shin Hye.

“He used to I think.” Hong Ki replied while putting the chicken in a plate.

“Yah, have you notice that you’re the opposite of Ssinz ideal type?” Yong Hwa butted in laughing.

“Yes, I noticed that too. I was lucky back then I guess that she really loves my voice.” Taka said agreeing to Yong Hwa while laughing along.

“Ahm, she told me she loves my voice too.” Hong Ki said sulking.

“Are you talking about me behind my back?” Shin Hye said suddenly popping in the kitchen. “Taka-chan?” she said surprised.

“Ssinz.” Taka put down the frame and hugs Shin Hye.

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in the States?” she said hugging back Taka.

“Yes, but I wanted to see you so I came with Hong Ki.” He said pulling away from the hug to look at her.

“Takeru is here too, but he visited some friends first.” Hong Ki said while giving her a hug too.

“Yah, you seem to lose some weight.” Shin Hye taps Hong Ki’s back.

“It always happens when having a tour. It’s because of the travel and exhaustion.” Hong Ki said pulling away.

The three of them continue their chats while Yong Hwa is just silently eating a pizza in the corner of the kitchen beside the fridge.

“Yah! Jung Yong Hwa, why aren’t you sharing that box of pizza? You owe me today.” Shin Hye stands beside Yong Hwa and grabs the pizza in his hand and takes a bite.

“Wae?” Yong Hwa grabs back the pizza and put it in his mouth.

“I saw you socks on my bed. I told you not to sneak on my room.” She slaps Yong Hwa’s arm.

“Arasso... arasso. It hurts.” Yong Hwa said avoiding another slap.

“Yah you two, what are you doing there? We should eat together here.” Hong Ki shouted at them.

“Sorry. I’ll take this pizza.” She said to Yong Hwa ang grab the box of pizza. “So, you guys are going to States together?” Shin Hye asked as she sat beside Hong Ki.

“Yes. Hong Ki wanted to come for his vacation too.” Taka said while drinking a soda from his glass.

“Ah, I envy you for that. It will be so nice to have a vacation, but I couldn’t leave the hospital for too long.” Shin Hye said sighing.

“Do you want to come with me on our next concert tour in Europe?” Taka offered her.

“Oh, so nice of you but I don’t think that’s a good idea and I want to have a vacation with Woo Bin-ah.” Shin Hye said smiling with the thought of Woo Bin.

“Yah! Wipe your face you’re drooling.” Hong Ki teases her while eating a pizza laughing.

“You rascal!” Shin Hye throws a pillow to him.

They continue to chat and update each other on what is happening to their lives while they are all busy to meet. Shin Hye feels good everytime she hangs out with her old friends. She has a lot of guy friends and so thankful that Woo Bin is not the jealous type. She has not seen Taka for a long time and she’s glad that he visited her.

 

Jong Suk is driving his way to drop Bo Young in their house after they visited Lee Hwi Jae and the twins. The ride to her home is so quiet and she could not take it anymore, she needs to say something. She has been preventing herself from asking Jong Suk about Shin Hye but she needs to know something.

“Jong Suk-ah.” She said trying to test the water.

“Hmm?” Jong Suk answered focusing on the road.

“The girl that Jong Hyun is talking about is Park Shin Hye-ssi? You don’t need to answer me if you don’t feel like talking.” She said while looking to Jong Suk.

“If I don’t answer you, will you stop asking me?” He said glancing at her.

“No.” She said firmly.

Jong Suk let out a heavy sigh. “Yes, she’s the girl I like.” He said giving her a smile.

“And you’re not going to pursue her because of Woo Bin-ah? You think you can do that?” she asks worriedly.

“I should do it. I’ve been friends with Woo Bin-ah for a long time and I will not ruin that with just a girl.” He said trying to strengthen his already broken heart.

“But she’s not just a girl. You like her and I think she likes you too.” She said without thinking.

“Mwo?” he suddenly turns to her in surprise of what she said.

“I mean, I could see in her eyes that she likes you too.” She explained.

“No. She’s just really nice.” He said but could not calm himself with what he heard.

“Yes, maybe I’m wrong. But I think it’s not fair to just give up because of your friendship with Woo Bin-ah. They aren’t married yet and she could still have a change of heart.” She explained further.

Jong Suk could not listen to what Bo Young will say anymore. He already put in the cage whatever he feels for her but with Bo Young’s words, it seems like she’s trying to unlock the cage in his heart. Why does he have to be in this situation?

“Ok. I will listen to you if you can give me one good reason to pursue her.” He said challenging her.

“Fate. I think this is what fate wants.” Bo Young said confidently.

“That’s absurd. I don’t really believe on that.” He said trying to lie.

“Ok, let’s just put it this way. If fate doesn’t want you to end up with her, after that meeting at Hwi Jae oppa, you will barely see her. But if you keep on meeting her without any reasons and even if you avoid it yourself, that’s fate. And you need to do what you’re heart tells you.” She said trying to convince him.

“Meeting someone by accident is called coincident and not fate.” He said trying to deny what she said to himself.

“Coincident happens once in a while, if it happens all the time it’s called fate. Trust me Jong Suk-ah, I’ve been there.” She said assuring him while squeezing his hand.

“Ok. But I doubt that, I might not see her again after this because I will be very busy and I need to leave Seoul for a while. We will be in two different place and it’s impossible for fate to meet us.” He said teasing her.

“Don’t put a period on your words. Fate will find its way to meet two people who are destined to be together forever.” She emphasized to him.

“Ok I will let fate do the work then. We’re here.” He stopped in front of their house. “Wait, I’ll help you.” He came down on the car and run towards the passenger seat door to help Bo Young go down the car.

“Don’t you want to go inside and have some tea or coffee?” Bo Young asked while going down the car.

“No. I’ll just come by some other time. I need to go back to the office and help hyung with some papers.” He said assisting her on the front door.

“Ok. Be careful. Don’t forget to tell me if you met her again.” She shouted to Jong Suk who is getting in the car.

Jong Suk starts the car and drives his way to his office. He didn’t wanna think about what Bo Young said so he turns on the radio and for his surprise the one playing is K. Will’s Only One Person, the same song he was listening the day he bumped to Shin Hye in the coffeeshop. He wanted to turn off the radio but decided not to and just continues to listen to this great song. ‘Why did I never notice the look in her eyes? Does it really mean like that when she looks at me?’ he unconsciously said to himself. “Argh, why did her phone need to ring at that time?” he said loudly in annoyance. “Wait, why am I thinking about it? Argh, nunna! Now I’m going crazy again.”

 

At Shin Hye’s apartment, Taka and Hong Ki already left to meet Takeru and Shin Hye asked Yong Hwa to stay for a while. Yong Hwa knew that there’s something bothering her, so he agreed to stay. Yong Hwa is sitting on the couch watching tv while waiting for Shin Hye who is washing the dishes. Shin Hye is feeling guilty for thinking of kissing another man when she already has Woo Bin, so she needed to talk to someone who will never judge her, and that’s his best friend Jung Yong Hwa.

“Do you need help?” Yong Hwa shouted at her over the kitchen.

“No. I’m almost done. Do you want me to get you water?” Shin Hye asks turning to Yong Hwa’s direction.

“Yes.” He answered glancing at her.

Shin Hye walks to where Yong Hwa is with a glass of water in her hand. “Here.” She hands him his water.

“Gomawo. You want some?” Yong Hwa offered her potato chips.

Shin Hye just shakes her head not even looking at what Yong Hwa is offering her. She took the remote from the center table and started to scan the channels.

“What is it? I know something’s bothering you. Tell me.” Yong Hwa took the remote from her hand.

“Promise me that you won’t judge me.” She turns to face Yong Hwa.

“Ok, I think this is serious. When did I ever judge you? Spill it now.” He puts down the chips that he’s munching and turns to her so that they are now face to face.

“When you were with someone, I mean when you had a girlfriend have you ever think of kissing another girl?” she asked awkwardly.

“Hmmm... That would be two things. One is, when I was in a serious relationship with her, of course I would not think of kissing another girl, I would not even dare to think about it. And the other one is, if it’s just a fling, I probably have had kiss other girl or girls.” He explained.

“So if you’re in a serious relationship and just thinking of kissing another girl is like cheating to her. Is that it?” she asked with her big round eyes.

“Yes, just like that. You know the saying, when you think of something bad, even if you didn’t do it, you already made a sin? It’s like that, because it crossed your mind and you have the intention to do it.” He said trying to dig deeper to her.

“Yes, I always hear that to eomma.” She said thinking hard.

“So, what it is about? Is Woo Bin cheating on you?” he asked with a loud voice.

“No, of course not. You promise not to judge me right? Actually I was the one who thought of that.” She said embarrass.

“Carry on. Why did you think of kissing another man when you have a boyfriend? It’s not Taka, is he?” he asked curiously.

“No, of course not him. I was holding a baby and the baby gave me a kiss, but after he kissed me, he wanted his samchoon to give me a kiss too. You know what I mean?” she said trying her best to tell him what happened.

“Yes. The baby must have seen his parents’ kissing that’s why he thought its ok for his uncle to kiss you. And then what happened?” he said while drinking on his glass. “Wait, you know the guy right? I mean you didn’t just meet?”

“No, we’ve met several times already. He actually hesitated to kiss me but the baby was about to throw a tantrum so I said that it’s okay to kiss me on the cheek. But when he was about to kiss me I was thinking of all these things.” She said further.

“What things?” Yong Hwa teases her with a smirk.

“Yong!” she slaps his arm when she sees his smirking.

“Sorry. Continue please.” He said rubbing the part that she slapped in his arm.

“I suddenly turn to look at his lips and started to think of kissing me in the lips. And thanks to Hong Ki’s call I was put back to reality and I needed to say goodbye to rush here. And now I’m feeling guilty for thinking such things.” She said shifting her position to lean his back on the couch. “So, what do you think?”

“Well, maybe you’re just exhausted from work and you miss Woo Bin so much.” Yong Hwa said trying to come up with a good reason for her.

“You think so?” she asked looking at him in a serious face.

“Not really. But seriously, if you thought of kissing him means that you feel something for him. I don’t wanna confuse you but I think you need to resort your feelings before it affects your relationship with Woo Bin.” Yong Hwa said in a serious face.

“You think I should tell Woo Bin about it?” she said now confused.

“You better not, until you are sure of what you really feel. It will just bring you to a complicated situation.” He said giving her a smile.

“You’re right. I think I was attracted to him because he was good at the babies.” She said trying to comfort herself.

Yong Hwa moved closer to her and put his arm around her shoulder. “So, who’s this guy? Do I know him? Is he a doctor?” he whispered to her.

“Lee Jong Suk.” She said without hesitation.

“Lee Jong Suk?! Jong Hyun’s brother, Lee Jong Suk?!” Yong Hwa shouted in surprise.

“Yes, that Lee Jong Suk. More complicated than you thought ah?” she said in confusion.

“Yes, really complicated. I mean, he’s Woo Bin’s friend and Jong Hyun’s brother. Ah, I don’t know what to say anymore.” He said now confuse too.

“I know.” She let out a heavy sigh and put her head on Yong Hwa’s shoulder.

“It’s almost dinner. Let’s go out and breath some fresh air.” He suggested.

“Aren’t you afraid that you might be pictured with a girl?” she gives him an eye.

“But you’re not a girl. Come on, I’ll wear my disguise.” He stands up and pulls her from her sit.

“Will you treat me dinner?” she asks with her sparking big round eyes.

“You should be the one who treat me dinner. I just help you with some advice.” He said popping out his head from another room.

“Right. Should we drink after dinner? I have not have drink with you for a long time.” She asks while getting her coat.

“Sure. Kajja.” He holds her hand and walks outside the house.

 

Jong Suk called his brother to accompany him somewhere. He needs to breathe some fresh air but he doesn’t want to be alone. He needs someone to distract him from thinking about Shin Hye. They are walking along the street when Jong Suk saw a restaurant tent and asked Jong Hyun to eat a hot soup with him. They ordered two galbitang and the owner gives them a bottle of soju.

“Ahjumma, we’re not going to drink.” Jong Hyun said to the owner while giving her back the soju.

“Jong Suk grabs the bottle of soju. “It’s ok. Kansahamnida ahjumma.”

“What are you going to do with that? You don’t even drink.” Jong Hyun asked confuse.

“You’ll drink it. I will drink one glass and you finish the rest.” He pours the soju on his shot glass.

“You should have told me that we’re going to drink so I could ask Yong Hwa hyung to come with us. How am I going to finish that bottle when I have an early schedule tomorrow? Ah jinjja hyung.” He said shaking his head.

“Did I just hear my name? Yah! What are you doing drinking here when we have an early schedule tomorrow?” Yong Hwa suddenly interrupted.

Yong Hwa and Shin Hye were walking along the street after they had dinner when Yong Hwa spotted a restaurant tent. She asked Shin Hye to just have their drink in the tent because it is safer for Yong Hwa not to be recognized because most of the customers there are ahjumma and ahjussi. Shin Hye easily agreed to the idea.

“Ah hyung. Shin Hye?” What are you doing here?” Jong Hyun asked surprise.

“I asked Shin Hye to drink with me. Can we share a table?” Yong Hwa squeezes Shin Hye’s hand.

Jong Suk noticed it and said. “Yes. I was about to ask Jong Hyun to call you.”

Yong Hwa pulled a chair for Shin Hye to sit across Jong Suk as Jong Hyun move to his side.

“What are you celebrating? I thought you don’t drink?” Yong Hwa asked Jong Suk while the ahjumma is giving them shot glasses and side dishes.

“Nothing really, I just miss my brother. We are both busy with our careers and we barely see each other lately.” He said avoiding to look at the girl in front of him.

Shin Hye felt awkward by the situation after opening up with Yong Hwa, she didn’t expect him to put her in this situation. She pulled out her phone and sent a text message to Yong Hwa. Yong Hwa pulled out his phone as he heard the tone.

‘What are you doing?’ the text says. Yong Hwa immediately replied to the text. ‘Ssinz, you should not avoid the problem, you should face it. It will help you in weighing your feelings. If you try to avoid it, it will just hunt you more. Just relax, I’m hereJ’ Yong Hwa smiled at her when he saw that she read her text message.

“Are you ok? You seem so quiet?” Jong Hyun asked Shin Hye as he noticed her silence.

“Neh. I’m just setting my mind so I can compete with Yong Hwa on drinking.” She said smiling at Jong Hyun.

“She’s a hard drinker.” Yong Hwa commented. “What are you busy these days?” he asked Jong Suk.

“Work as always. I’m feeling out some holes on Ji Sung hyung schedule as he could not go out of town and out of the country because of Bo Young nunna’s pregnancy.” He said turning to look at Yong Hwa.

“So, you don’t have the time to go on a date?” Yong Hwa further inquires while glancing at Shin Hye.

“Actually he likes someone. Did you ask her out already?” Jong Hyun answered for his brother.

“No.” Jong Suk said glancing at Shin Hye.

Shin Hye’s heart beats suddenly went fast by just hearing the word of Jong Suk. She doesn’t know but it feels good hearing that he’s not dating. Yong Hwa noticed the small smirk in Shin Hye’s lips and just smile.

“Why not? I mean, if you like her why don’t you ask her out?” Yong Hwa asked trying to get somewhere.

“Actually, he’s not sure if the girl is still available. He said the girl is wearing a couple ring.” Jong Hyun answered for his brother again.

Shin Hye and Jong Suk could not even talk with the two talking as their representatives. All the questions that Shin Hye wants to him are asking by Yong Hwa and the answers that Jong Suk wants to say are already answering by his brother. The two are just trying their best to conceal whatever feelings that they have right now.

“Why don’t you ask her to be sure? I mean, you will not go further if you just wait. It’s better to ask now than be sorry later. By the way, do we know her?” he asked while drinking his soju.

“I asked him that too but he said no. Maybe Shin Hye knows her cause she’s a doctor. They met in a very unromantic situation. There was this accident...” Jong Hyun never finishes his words when Jong Suk interrupted him by giving him a shot of soju.

“Yah! I told you to drink this. Why do you keep on budging in on my personal life?” Jong Suk smile to Jong Hyun while glancing at Shin Hye.

The time flies so fast they didn’t notice that they already finish 4 bottles of soju. They continue to talk about work and sports and girls when Yong Hwa’s phone rings.

“Who is it?” Shin Hye asked as she eats a piece of egg roll.

“President Han?” Jong Hyun looks at him and Yong Hwa answered the phone. “Neh President Han... No I’m with Jong Hyun, wae?... As in right now? But we’re having a ... Arasso, arasso...” Yong Hwa said on his conversation with President Han and ended the call.

“Jong Hyun-ah we need to go now. Emergency meeting at FNC, Jung Shin and Min Hyuk are already there. Manager hyung is already outside to pick us up.” He said sipping the last shot on his glass.

“What? You’re going to leave me here?” Shin Hye asked with anxiety on her voice.

“Jong Suk-ah, can you walk Shin Hye to her apartment? I will entrust her to you.” Yong Hwa asked Jong Suk with a smile.

“Ah, neh.” Jong Suk answered while staring at Shin Hye.