Lay-By

Crossroads

Jong Suk and Woo Bin are sitting across each other inside Jong Suk’s study room.

“Why did you wanna see me anyway?” Jong Suk asked while sipping his coffee.

“Eh, I didn’t come here to see you. I’m here to visit eomoni. You said yesterday that she’s not feeling well, so I brought her some organic medicine. I was actually surprise when I saw her outside doing gardening and she said she wasn’t sick.” He said with a smile.

“Ah neh. She felt better after taking a medicine.” He answered awkwardly.

“I’m glad to hear that. But I was actually hoping that I will catch Shin Hye here too. I called her earlier and she said she was on her way here. But eomoni told me she didn’t see her yet. Didn’t she come here?” he asked curiously.

“Ah, I called her on her way here and told her that eomoni is already okay, so she doesn’t need to come here.” He said with a force smile and remembers what happened a while ago.

-Flashback-

“Otteoke? Woo Bin is here. He can’t see me like this.” Shin Hye said worriedly.

“Go over there, it’s a connecting door to my room. You can hide there for a while. Lock the door to the main door so that Jong Hyun can’t get in.” He said pointing to the door.

“Okay.” Shin Hye rush to get out from the study.

“Take this one.” He gives her the jacket that Jong Hyun threw him earlier.

“Is this the one…” she said looking at the jacket.

“Yes. The one I left in your house. Yong Hwa gave it to Jong Hyun.” He said nodding.

“Jong Suk-ah!” his mom once again called.

Jong Suk made sure that Shin Hye is already out of the room when he opened the door to let Woo Bin in.

“Are you with someone? I thought I heard you talking with someone.” His mom said while looking around the room.

“I was talking on the phone with Mrs. Kim.” He said lying.

“Is that so? I will get you something to drink.” His mom said suspiciously and left the two in the room.

-End of Flashback-

“So, how are you and Shin Hye?” Jong Suk asked putting his cup down on the table.

“We’re doing great. We are actually having a dinner tonight in her apartment. I haven’t eaten her cooking for a long time so she decided to cook for me. Isn’t she sweet?” he said with a wide smile.

“Neh.” He said forcing a smile.

“How about you? I see that you are over Suzy. Aren’t you planning to date someone? I can hook you up with some friends if you want.” He said teasing him.

“I don’t know yet. I’m planning to have a vacation first. I want some time alone with myself before I start to go on dates.” He explained.

“Ah, I want to have some vacation too. I’ve been planning to take a vacation with Shin Hye after the China expansion. Shin Hye wanted to go to Italy and I want to take her there.” She said with the wide smile not leaving his face.

“That’s great.” He said with a fake smile.

“So, is Suzy still bothering you?” he asked curiously.

“Ani. I’m glad that she stopped already. I think she got tired of calling me or she run away again.” He said and suddenly thought of the last time that she met Suzy.

The last time that she met Suzy is when she walked Shin Hye to her apartment and the night when he kissed her. He suddenly thought that it was strange. With that incident, Suzy should be clinging to him more this time but she just stopped bothering him. Is it because she thinks he’s going back to her? Or she just realized that she doesn’t love him anymore? Whatever it is, it’s a good thing that she’s not bothering him. Minus one stress in his life.

“Okay, I need to go. Let’s catch up again some other time. Maybe head to gym? Or have some run sometime?” Woo Bin said while standing.

“You know I hate the gym, but running is good I like that.” He said walking Woo Bin to the door.

“I will call for the schedule.” Woo Bin said while they are walking outside to his car.

 

Meanwhile at Jong Suk’ room, Shin Hye is quietly sitting in his bed looking around the four corner of his room. The room is so plain, just a bed and a book shelves with a lot of manga books. There’s not even a study table or a chair. She grabs the picture frame on his left side table near the lampshade. It’s a picture of Jong Suk and Jong Hyun when they were kids in a taekwondo outfit. The other frame is a family picture. ‘He looks like his dad.’ She mumbles. Shin Hye stood up to check his collection of manga books when suddenly someone is trying to open the door.

“Hyung, are you there?” Jong Hyun called knocking on the door.

‘Jong Hyun.’ Shin Hye mumbles and covers with her hands.

“Hyung, I think eomma mistakenly switches our watch. Hyung!” he said still knocking on the door.

“Yah! Why are you shouting? What do you want?” Jong Suk said walking fast to Jong Suk.

“Eh, why is your room locked?” he asked curiously.

“Ah, I think I accidentally locked it. Wae? What do you want?” he said blocking the door.

“I think eomma accidentally switches our watch. I think this is yours and you have mine in there.” He said pointing to his room.

“Neh, this mine. I’ll just put your room later. Go back to sleep.” He said taking his watch.

“Can you give it now? I will use it later, I’m just going down to eat.” He said giving him a smile.

“Okay I will give it to you after you eat. Go.” He said holding the door knob.

“You’re weird.” He said looking at him before he walks down.

Jong Suk immediately knocks on the door. “Shin Hye it’s me open the door.” He whispers on the door.

Shin Hye opened the door. “I thought I was going to die.” She said trying to catch her breath.

“You need to stay here for a while, Jong Hyun is downstairs, she might see you if you get out now.” He said opening the door to his closet.

Shin Hye follows him. “Wow, you have a lot of clothes and suits.” She is amazed by the room of clothes.

“It will be a shame if I don’t have a lot of clothes when it is our business.” He said looking for Jong Hyun’s watch.

“Ah right. Did you wear all of this?” he asked looking at the shirts arranged by colors.

“Not all of them but mostly the white and black shirts.” He answered glancing at her. “I’ll just put this in Jong Hyun’s room.” She said to her when he found the watch.

“Okay.” She said studying the room.

Jong Suk locked the door before he went out and Shin Hye was left in his closet looking around his stuffs. Shin Hye is amazed on how neat his closet. With the pants and shirts hanging on different corner and the soon hanging in another room with his shoes for work. His rings, bracelets and watches in the middle of the room that looks like a jewelry shop. And his collection of different caps in another room. ‘This must cost a lot of fortune.’ Shin Hye said to herself.

“Shin Hye come one. Jong Hyun is taking a shower and eomoni is in her garden in the back.” Jong Suk said popping his head on the door.

“Are you sure?” Shin Hye asked for assurance as she picks up her bag on his bed.

“Yes. Let’s go before eomoni goes back inside. I’ll drop you by the hospital.” Jong Suk holds her hand.

They head downstairs and Jong Suk is still holding Shin Hye’s left hand as he look around them making sure no one will see them. Shin Hye notice how he hold her hand carefully and how squeeze it with every little noise they here. Shin Hye’s heart is pounding fast as she glances of Jong Suk hand in hers. What is this feeling? And why do she need to hide from everybody? No. This is nothing. She already made up her mind. She keeps telling it to herself. Jong Suk let go of her hand when they reach his car outside the gate.

“Get in.” Jong Suk said to a spacing out Shin Hye. “Are you okay?”

“Ah, yes. Thank you.” She answered and get inside the car.

Jong Suk is driving silently while Shin Hye keeps looking at her hand and seems like lost in her own space again. Jong Suk could not help the silence anymore and he needs to say something, but what is he going to say that will not them awkward to start a conversation?

“Yah. What are you thinking? You seem lost in your thought. If you’re thinking about earlier, don’t worry I am not going to do anything, I already agreed to just forget about it.” Jong Suk turn to look at her.

“I know and thank you for that.” She said looking back at him.

Jong Suk turn to look at the road again. “Then what are you thinking? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Ah, work stuffs.” She said looking down to her hand again.

“Why do you keep on looking at your hand? Does it hurt?” he said grabbing her hand.

Shin Hye was startled with his action and she pulled back her hand immediately. Her heart is racing fast again and she feels her cheeks are burning. She cups her cheeks with both of her hands so that Jong Suk won’t see that she’s blushing but her phone suddenly rings. And Jong Suk glance at her.

“It’s your phone.” He said smiling as she see that she’s blushing.

Shin Hye pulled her phone in her bag. “Yoboseyo? Ah, yes Dr. Yoo.” She said looking at her phone screen to make sure of the caller.

“Dr. Park, can you drop by to my house before you go to the hospital?” Dr. Yoo asked Shin Hye.

“Waeyo? I’m on my way to the hospital already.” Shin Hye said annoyed.

“I want to talk to you about something.” Dr. Yoo answered.

“Why don’t we just meet in the hospital? It’s too far to turn around.” Shin Hye said glancing at Jong Suk.

“Yah! Shin Hye. I am not asking you. I am ordering you as your senior. I’ll see you here in one hour.” Dr. Yoo said shouting.

Shin Hye looks at Jong Suk and Jong Suk gives her a nod, which means it’s okay.

“Arasso. Bye.” She said in an exaggerated tone and ended the call. “Ah jinjja. What it is now?” she said irritated that makes Jong Suk laugh. “What?”

“Nothing. You’re like a child throwing a tantrum. So, we need to turn here. Is it Dr. Yoo’s house?” Jong Suk asked smiling.

“Yes. Aren’t you going to be late in your work?” she asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry, I’m just going to meet someone outside the office.” He said looking at her smiling when his phone rings.

“Now it’s your phone.” She said pointing on it.

Jong Suk put on his headset to answer the call. “Oh hyung. What is it?”

“I just want to remind you not to forget to bring something for the triplets.” He said over the phone.

“Otteoke? What am I going to bring?” he asked worriedly.

“I heard they love dinosaurs and strawberry. Maybe you can buy toys and strawberry on your way.” Ji Sung suggested.

“Okay hyung.” Jong Suk agreed and ended the call. “Shin Hye can you help me first to buy some toys and strawberry before we go to Dr. Yoo’s house?” he asked her with his puppy eyes.

“No problem, there is still time anyway. I think there’s a Lotte Department Store here around.” She said looking around. “Ah there!” she pointed at the store.

Jong Suk parked the car and they went inside. Shin Hye look for the Toy-R-Us store in the map in front of the entrance while Jong Suk is following her.

“3rd floor.” She said turning to look at him. “What kind of toy are you looking for?” she asked him.

“Hyung said dinosaur toys. Maybe anything that has dinosaur in it.” He said with no idea.

“How old is he? He might be a boy because he loves dinosaurs.” Shin Hye said guessing.

“Yes and they are triplets. So I need three of different toys.” He said looking at her.

“Ani. You should buy the same toy of three. If you buy them different toys they will surely fight. You should buy the same toy so there won’t be jealousy.” She said looking around the stuff toys.

“Ah I never thought of that, you’re right.” He said rubbing his head.

“What about this stuff toys? They are cute and floppy, they can hug them when they are going to sleep and play with them.” She said hugging the stuff toy.

“Lucky toy.” He mumbles.

“What is that?” Shin Hye looks at him.

“Nothing. They are okay. Let’s get three of this toy.” He said avoiding her eyes.

They walk to the cashier carrying the three stuff toys. Shin Hye keeps on hugging the one stuff toy.

“Let it go, your face might stick in there.” He jokes and grabs the toy from her. “If you want someone to hug, I’m here for you.” He mumbles again but Shin Hye didn’t hear him because she’s busy admiring the toys around her.

Jong Suk paid the toys and head out to the grocery store to buy the strawberry.

“Oh, there’s a free taste of beef. Let’s go.” Shin Hye pulls Jong Suk to where an Ahjumma is giving a free taste of a beef. “Ah delicious.”

“Here’s for your husband.” The Ahjumma said while giving her a piece of beef.

Shin Hye took the beef. “He’s not my husband Ahjumma.”

“Ah, you’re not married yet. So he’s your boyfriend. You’re face look alike so I thought you’re married.” She said smiling at them.

“Thank you. It’s delicious. Should we buy some of that Yeobo?” Jong Suk teases Shin Hye.

“Yah! Let’s go and find those strawberry. Thank you Ahjumma.” She said and grabs Jong Suk arm.

 

The atmosphere suddenly become lively and full of laughter on their way to Dr. Yoo’s house as they make fun of Dr. Yoo. Jong Suk tried to imitate his voice that makes Shin Hye laugh out loud. Jong Suk stops the car in front of Dr. Yoo’s car and it’s a sign for Shin ye to get out.

“Thank you for the ride.” Shin Hye said smiling before she goes down.

“Bye.” Jong Suk said waving his left hand.

Shin Hye let out a big sigh when Jong Suk car left the scene. She shakes off any thought about Jong Suk and head to the gate and press the doorbell. When she heard a click sound she opened the gate and walk straight in the front door. Then someone familiar opens the front door for her.

“Ah, oppa. What are you doing here?” Shin Hye said with her big round eyes.

“This is our house. Get in.” the man said smiling. “I haven’t seen you in ages. You look much pretty now. Do you have a boyfriend?” the man teases her.

“Oppa!” she slaps his arm.

“Ah that hurts. You never change, you still have that mannerism of slapping someone near you.” He said rubbing his arm. “What are you doing here?”

“Dr. Yoo asked me to meet him here. Where is he?” she said looking around the house.

“Ah, he’s taking a shower. Did you have a breakfast already? I’m cooking.” He boast while walking to the kitchen

“Eh, you know how to cook now?” she asked teasing following him.

“I’m still learning. Want to taste it?” he hands her a spoon.

“What is this for?” she scoop a little in her spoon from the sauce pan.

“Spaghetti. How is it?” he asked hoping for a good review.

“A little bit sour but it’s good.” She said putting her thumb up.

“Wow, you two look good together. Why don’t you just date? You look like newlyweds cooking your breakfast.” Dr. Yoo commented coming in.

“Good morning Dr. Yoo.” Shin Hye greeted bowing her head.

“Ah, Appa try it.” Yeon Suk gives Yoo Jae Suk a plate of spaghetti.

“By the way oppa, when did you came back from Massachusetts?” she asked while eating spaghetti.

“Last night. Yah, why didn’t you not sent me an email or texted me? I’m so mad at you. You never contacted me after that dinner date.” He said pouting his lips.

“Eh, you were the one who didn’t contact me since then. I thought you don’t like me.” She said giving him a confused look.

“Mwo? I wanted to court you then but you never replied to my texts so I thought you don’t like me.” He said more confused.

“But I never received a text from you. Maybe you confused me of someone.” She said teasing him.

“Ani. I’m sure I texted your number. Am I too late now?” he asked with a bright smile.

“You are. Shin Hye already have a boyfriend.” Jae Suk commented.

“Ah jinjja. When are you going to break with him?” Yeon Suk asked with a grin.

“I’m not. I’m going to marry him.” She said sticking out her tongue to him.

“Well, you’re not married yet so I’m still gonna bug you until you break up with him.” He said grinning.

“Oppa!” she said and slaps him in the arm again.

“If Seung Ho is here and hear this I’m sure he will freak out. He enlisted himself in the military when he found out that Appa set me on a blind date with you.” He said laughing with the memory.

“When will he be out? I didn’t know then that he likes me. I always treated him as my dongsaeng.” She said guilty.

“He still have 6 months to fill. You’re one of the reason why he enlisted early because you always treated him as dongsaeng and he wants to be more manly for you to like him.” He said making Shin Hye more guilty.

“Ah, Yeon Suk don’t put that burden on Shin Hye’s shoulder. But it’s true that he enlisted when he heard I set you up with his hyung.” Jae Suk said putting the bowl in the sink.

“Ah, Dr. Yoo why did you want to see me?” she asked curiously.

“Ah yes. I need a big favor with you. I’m going to leave for Massachusetts for a while and I need you to tend to my special patients while I’m gone.” He said straight.

“Mwo? You’re leaving? Wae?” she asked almost spitting the spaghetti in .

“My friend from Harvard asked me to help him with his research so I need to stay there for 4 months or 6 months depending on the outcome of the research. I already inform the hospital and they agreed to it.” He explained.

“When are you going?” She asked in surprised.

“Next week. I just need to transfer my special patients to a doctor I trust. And that’s you. I’m sure you’re going to take good care of them while I’m gone.” He said smiling brightly.

“Ah that’s so sudden. Who’s going to annoy me every time in the hospital?” she said sadly.

“Don’t worry I will do that in place of appa. I’m going to stay here while he’s gone and I have nothing to do, so expect me to annoy you every time.” He gives her a wink.

“Oppa, that’s two different thing.” Shin Hye twitches her lips.

“Wae? Are you afraid that your boyfriend might get jealous of me? Then that will be a good thing. By the way, is that your boyfriend you come with earlier?” he asked curiously.

“You saw him? He didn’t even get down from his car.” She asked him.

“You were with Woo Bin? Why didn’t you let him in?” Jae Suk asked her.

“Ani. It wasn’t Woo Bin. It was Lee Jong Suk, I happened to bump to him on my way so he politely gave me a ride.” She said lying.

“So, there’s another competition for me. Ah, good thing Seung Ho is still in the military, one competition down.” He winks at her.

“He’s not a competition oppa. He was just being nice and one more thing he’s Woo Bin’s friend.” She said seriously.

“Okay whatever you say, but I know competition when I see one.” He said sure of himself.

“How did you even see him?” she said starting to get nervous.

“When you opened your door. You took some time saying thank you.” He winks at her again that makes Shin Hye annoyed.

“Okay you two, stop it. You still have a lot of time to catch up. For now we need to go.” Jae Suk said interrupting their conversation.

“I will call you. Maybe we can have a meal with your boyfriend and that guy earlier. So I will know my competitions.” He said teasing her more.

“Andwe! I will never answer your call.” She said sticking out her tongue to him and walk fast with Yoo Jae Suk.

 

Jong Suk is silently driving his way to Seoul Golf Club to meet Ji Sung. He doesn’t want to think anymore as his head hurts but the memory of Shin Hye blushing when he holds her hands don’t want to leave his mind. He will definitely do everything to make her realize that there is something for him in her heart. She definitely feels something for him too, he knows that and he needs to do something to let that feelings come out. But for now he will take a lay low and just be friends with her. He’s looking straight to the road and lost in his own world again when his phone brings him back to earth. He put on his headset and answers the phone.

“Oh hyung. Miane, I just needed to do something. I’m on my way. I’ll be there in 5 minutes.” He said over the phone.

“Don’t worry, take your time. Song Il Kook hyung is not here yet. I just wanna tell you not to forget to the dinosaur toys and the strawberries for his triplets.” He reminded him.

“I already have them with me. I’ll see you in a bit.” He said and ended the call.

Jong Suk looks at the stuff toys sitting in the backseat from his rear view. He can’t help but smile to himself like a fool with the memory of Shin Hye shopping with him and what the Ahjumma commented on them. And now he in delusional mode again, well at least his delusion has a basis. He reached the Golf Club and Ji Sung is waiting for him in the entrance to help him carry the gifts.

“Is he here?” Jong Suk asked Ji Sung while giving him the other bag of stuff toy.

“Yes. He just got here too.” He said walking to where their meeting would be.

“I never thought you’re good on picking toys. I’m sure the triplets will love these. And it’s a good thing you bought the same toy or they might fight if you bought different toys.” He said complementing him.

“I got a little help from someone.” He said smirking.

“From who?” he asked curiously.

“I will tell you later.” He said walking toward Song Il Kook. “Il Gook hyung.” He said tapping his back.

“Oh Jong Suk. Nice to see you. How long has it been?” Il Gook said gabbing his arm and greeting him like a man with tapping his shoulders.

“Neh. It’s been a long time. Last time I saw you was when Aboeji’s funeral.” He said sitting on a chair across Il Kook.

“Neh. I was really surprise when Ji Sung called me.” He said smiling.

“About that thing. Where are the triplets? I thought you brought them with you?” he asked looking around.

“They are in the arcade with my manager. Manse is too loud and Minguk can’t stop himself from singing, we can’t talk properly.” He said laughing.

“Ah, I bought them this toys. I heard they love dinosaurs and strawberry.” He said giving him the gifts that he bought earlier.

“Ah thank you. Yes they are obsess with dinosaurs. They can’t stop talking about them and never get tired reading a book with dinosaurs. Minguk will surely love these strawberries. He can eat all of these in one minute.” He’s laughing with the thought.

“So hyung. We are launching our new project and it’s a kid’s line of clothing. We actually want the triplets to represent our line.” Ji Sung said.

“I already talk to my wife about it after you called me and I think there would be no problem as long as the kids are not pressured to do something.” He explained.

“Of course hyung. We’re just going to do some photoshoot and a cf. They are still kids so we decided that the concept will be camping and picnic. We just need to get to the location and just film them naturally as they do their thing.” Ji Sung explained further.

“That would be great. I don’t want them to do anything that they don’t want to or force them to do something.” Il Kook said in relief.

“So is it a deal?” Jong Suk asked smiling.

“Yes. When will I get the contract so that my wife can review it?” he asked Jong Suk.

“Ji Sung hyung will ask someone to deliver it to your house this afternoon. Is that okay hyung?”

“Yes. The contract is already in my table. I will send it to your house later.” Ji Sung agreed.

“That’s better. I will call my manager to bring the kids here.” He said pulling out his phone.

Ji Sung looks at Jong Suk smiling with a successful business deal. Jong Suk nods agreeing to his hyung. In no time they can hear some giggling and footsteps towards them. And yes, it’s the triplets giggling and running their way to their father.

“Appa! Appa!” the free-spirited Manse shouted.

“Mase-yah be careful.” The eldest Daehan said.

“Ah strawberries. Strawberries.” The cute Minguk said pointing to the strawberries in the table.

“Ah, they are so cute. I can’t wait for my child to be born.” Ji Sung said admiring the triplets.

Il Kook is laughing with his kids reactions. “I told you they are loud.” He said while hugging each one of them. “Did you miss Appa?”

“Appa dinosaurs.” Daehan said looking at the bag with dinosaurs.

“Appa strawberries! I want strawberries!” Minguk said pointing to the strawberries.

“Ah you like them. Jong Suk samchoon and Ji Sung samchoon bought them for you. What would you say to them?” he said to the triplets.

“Kansahamnida samchoon.” The triplets said while bowing their head to Jong Suk and Ji Sung.

Ji Sung helped Il Kook to sit them on their own chairs and Jong Suk helped him distribute the strawberries to their bowl. And they ordered their meal after taking care of the triplets. Minguk can’t stop singing while eating each strawberries.

“Are you excited for your first child?” Il Kook asked Ji Sung while eating his vegetable salad.

“Yes hyung I can’t wait to see my child.” Ji Sung replied with twinkle in his eyes.

“How about you Jong Suk, any plans to get married?” Il Kook asked him with a curious look.

“Not yet hyung. I need to find the girl first.” Jong Suk said looking at him.

“Eh, I thought you have a girlfriend? Who is it again? The chicken model is it? What is her name again?” Il Kook said trying to remember the girl’s name.

“Ah that girl. We already broke up.” Jong Suk said remembering that she introduced Suzy to Il Kook before.

They continue to talk and catch up about their respective personal life with Minguk singing his never ending collection of nursery rhymes in their background.

 

Time flies so fast, it is already 2 in the afternoon and Woo Bin is having a busy day that he has not have the chance to call Shin Hye. He just came out from a meeting with the China team and walked straight to his office room where Jong Kook is waiting for him.

“Oh you’re done. Are you going to eat now? I will ask Mrs. Kim to get your lunch here.” Jong Kook asked him as he stood up from the couch.

“No hyung. I’ll just eat later. I need to call Shin Hye first.” He said pulling out his phone from his pants pocket.

“Okay. Do you need anything else?” Jong Kook asked him.

“Can you just send me some tea first?” Woo Bin requested.

“Okay I will tell Mrs. Kim. Call me when you want to eat, I’ll just be outside.” Jong Kook said before going out of the room.

“Thank you hyung.” Woo Bin said before dialing Shin Hye’s number. “Hey beautiful. Have you eaten?” he asked Shin Hye.

“Neh. What about you?” Shin Hye asked standing in the corridor of the hospital leaning her back on the concrete wall.

“Not yet. I just got out from a meeting with the China team. What are you doing?” he said sitting on his chair.

“Breathing some fresh air. You should eat first.” She said shifting her position to lean on her right side to look at the glass wall.

“I will eat later after I talk to you. I miss you so much already. Where have you been this morning? I went to Jong Suk house and you didn’t go there. I called your phone but it was out of service.” He said looking at Shin Hye’s picture on his table.

“I came straight here in the hospital. Wae? Why are you looking for me” Shin Hye asked him.

Woo Bin was not able to answer Shin Hye as someone knocks on his door. And Mrs. Kim comes in bringing a tea.

“Mr. Kim, someone is here to see you.” She said while putting the cup of tea on his table and waiting for Woo Bin’s instruction.

“What is it?” Shin Hye asked hearing the interruption form Woo Bin’s line.

“Shin Hye I will call you later. I just need to tend to someone. Saranghe.” He said and ended the call. “Who is it?” he asked putting his phone down on the table.

“It’s me.” A woman said pushing the door open and walks in.

Woo Bin nods to Mrs. Kim to permit her to go out of the room. “What are you doing here?”