Asphalt

Crossroads

Shin Hye woke up with a headache due to hang over but thank to Yong Hwa’s experimental hang over soup she forgot about her headache because she got a stomach sipping the salty soup. Hong Ki left early because he has a taping with a variety show. Yong Hwa didn’t wanna leave her alone but President Han called him to talk about their upcoming new album release.

Shin Hye was sitting in her bed after she called the hospital that she could not come today due to her stomach ache. She blankly stares at the engagement ring on her ring finger. She removed it slowly and let out a heavy sigh before putting it inside the red box in front of her. Yes, it was the ring that Woo Bin gave her. He stood up from where she was sitting when someone buzz on the door.

“I’m sorry for calling you out this early in the morning.” She apologized after opening the door. “Come on in.”

“It’s okay. I wanted to talk to you anyway, you just called first.” The man said entering the door. “I’m surprise that you didn’t go to work today.” He added.

“Neh. I have a stomach ache thanks to Yong Hwa’s soup.” She explained.

“Yong Hwa?” he asked curiously.

“Neh. He and Hong Ki were here last night. They found out about last night.” She explained further.

“Ah is that so. They must hate me right now.” He said shaking his head.

“Ani. Do you want something to drink?” she asked trying to change the topic.

“Can I have a black coffee?” he asked.

“Why are we talking so formal? I will get you a coffee?” she noticed.

“I don’t know. I guess it is still awkward.” He said not looking at her.

“How are you doing? You didn’t go to work too.” She asked the obvious.

“Do you really want me to answer that?” he asked in return.

“Ani. Mian.” She said returning with the cup of coffee.

“Thank you.” He said receiving the coffee. “What do you wanna talk about?” he asked sipping from the cup of coffee.

“Ah I need to give you back something. I’ll just get it.” She said standing up and walked to her room.

Woo Bin put down the cup of coffee in the table in front of him when her phone rings. He accidentally saw the name of the caller. He ignored it when he saw the name but couldn’t help himself to be curious why this person is calling her after what happened. He glanced where Shin Hye went and it seems she wouldn’t come out yet so he picked up the phone.

“Yeobosaeyo?” Woo Bin asked over the line.

Woo Bin was shaking in anger, he wanted to curse to the guy who’s on the other line but he was suppressing it for her not hear him. He knew that answering her phone is wrong. He was about to asked him why is he calling her but the guy on the other line hung up. He immediately put down the phone but his hands were still shaking.

“I forgot to give this back to you.” Shin Hye said giving him the red box.

Woo Bin already know what’s inside the box. “Yah! I gave that to you, it’s rude to return it.” He said sadly. “If you don’t wanna keep it just donate it to a charity.” He said giving a smile.

“Are you sure?” she asked sitting beside him.

“Neh. It’s yours anyway. You can do whatever you want with it.” He said sipping another from his cup. “You’re not expecting me to use it again, didn’t you?” he asked seriously.

“Of course not.” She said embarrassed.

“Or you can still wear it if you want.” He said giving her a wink.

“Yah!” she shouted giving him a slap in his arm.

Shin Hye is thankful that their awkwardness earlier is starting to disappear and they are now talking like real friends, though they are still trying to talk about what happened last night. She thought and believe that someday when they meet again, they will just laugh about the things that they are avoiding now.

Woo Bin smile in relief, it is still hurting him but at least they still act like friends. He told her about his stay in China for a while, because he doesn’t want his mom controlling his life when she finds out about them. He made a promise that when they meet again he will take her to dinner. He also told her about the call that he picked up earlier. He apologized and wanted to call Jong Suk but Shin Hye prevented him from doing it.

 

Jong Hyun stayed in his room trying to get a hold of his brother. He’s now starting to worry about his brother, if what Jung Shin said is true, this is the time that he needs him. He’s worried about his relationship with Woo Bin too because they’ve been friends for a long time, and how is he going to face Woo Bin after this? Of course it isn’t his fault but still the reason that they broke up is because of his brother.

He called Ji Sung but Jong Suk already left the hospital heading to the airport. He tried for the last time but still he didn’t answer. And when he was about to give up his phone suddenly rings. Yes, its Jong Suk calling him, he might have seen his missed calls.

“Hyung finally! I’d been trying to call you for ages. Where are you?” Jong Hyun said exhausted.

“In the airport. I just saw your missed calls. Wae?” he asked curiously.

“I told you to wake me up before you go. Why didn’t you wake me up?” he asked a little irritated.

“I did try to wake you up but you didn’t even budge. You were even snoring, so I decided to leave you alone. What do you wanna talk about?” he asked looking at his watch.

“I wanna ask you about Woo Bin hyung. Is it true…” Jong Hyun didn’t finish his question.

“Neh, whatever it is that you heard are all true. If you’re waiting for me to say that you’re right and that I should have listen to you. I won’t because I didn’t regret anything and that punch, I deserved it.” He explained.

“Wait. What punch? Woo Bin hyung punched you? Ah jinjja. It’s worse than I thought.” He said in disbelief.

“Jong Hyun-ah, I decided to move on. So please let’s not talk about this anymore. Ah?” he asked.

“But hyung, Shin Hye and Woo Bin hyung…” he wasn’t able to finish his words again.

“I know. So, please let’s just stop talking about it. I don’t wanna explain any further and I don’t wanna hear anything about them. I will used this chance to truly move on.” He begged.

Jong Hyun let go of the idea telling his brother about Shin Hye and Woo Bin’s break up, he felt the urge to move on from his brother’s voice, anyway he seemed to know it already as he said.

After talking to his brother on the phone, Jong Hyun was still lost in his thoughts when he went down stairs. He didn’t even notice his mother sitting in the living room. She grabbed Jong Hyun by the hand when she called him but didn’t hear her.

“Adeul, you seem out of your mind. Are you sleep walking or you’re just thinking too hard? What is it? You can share it to eomma. What’s bothering my handsome son?” Mrs. Lee caress.

Jong Hyun needed someone to talk to but could not tell it to Jung Shin because he has the tendency to talk so much when they gather at FNC. Or to Min Hyuk because he is close to Woo Bin too. Or to Yong Hwa who is close to Shin Hye. And her eomma is the answer, so she told her everything.

“Ah, my two sons are in love with the same girl. Otteoke?” she said giving him a smile while Jong Hyun looked at her in a weird way. “Even I’m not your biological mother, we have that connection because you grew up with me and I can see just by looking at your eyes like your brother. I knew you like Dr. Park for a long time. Or should I say it in past tense?” she said giving him a smirk.

“Neh, it’s in the past.” He agreed but couldn’t his embarrassment.

“What should we do to your brother?” she said thinking. “Let’s just not do anything about it.” She exclaimed.

“What? Did I hear you correctly?” he said in shocked.

“I learned my lesson in the past and I promise not to barge in with your brother’s love life anymore. I don’t wanna put pressure to him that might end up hurting him again. Let’s just do what he think is best for him. If he and Dr. Park are for each other fate will find a way to put them together in its own time.” She explained.

“Keure.” He sigh in relief. “Eomma, does it mean to say that I can turn down that date with that girl who likes calligraphy?” he asked with his cute smile.

“Can you just meet her once? I don’t want her mom nagging me to set you up with her again. Just meet her once and it will be fine to me if you don’t wanna meet her again.” She explained.

“Ah jinjja I thought I already found my way out. Eomma, just by reading her credentials, I already feel bored. But for you, okay I’m going to go on that date and after that I won’t see her again. You just explain to her mother.” He said heavy hearted.

“Neh. I’ll just tell her that you don’t have the time to date because you’re going to be very busy with the release of your new album.” She explained.

“Eomma, I don’t need to stay until desert right?” he asked with his hands put together like begging her to say yes.

“Arasso. Did you really move on from Dr. Park?” she asked curiously. “You always talk about liking these girls on your interview but you don’t go out on date. I don’t have to worry about you and your brother, right?” he asked with a straight look in his eyes.

“Ah eomma, I told you I’m over it. You don’t have to worry about that. I’m just not yet ready to let my sight out of these beautiful ladies and focus on just one girl.” He said giving her mother a cute wink. “Now I need to go and meet another hot girl by the name of Ailee. I need to finish the song that I’m giving her for her album.” He said kissing his mother’s head before leaving.

 

Time passes so fast, fall has come. The cold wind is starting to make it presence as it blows in the air and with people walking around starts to wear thick and layered clothing. This is the season that Jong Suk likes because even if he eats a lot and doesn’t exercise people won’t notice that he’s gaining weights with the thick and layered clothes that he needs to wear. But winter is his favorite season of the year.

After months of working like a cow to get his daily life in Japan busy and make sure to have not time to think of other things, Jong Suk came back to Seoul. He drove straight to the company as he landed.

“How was your trip?” Ji Sung asked who was waiting for him in his office.

“Ah tiring. I wanted to stay for a couple of months more but your wife kept on begging me to come back so you can spend some time with them. Ah jinjja, she’s too determine to get what she wants. She never left me a day without calling or messaging me, she even sent me some picture of your daughter crying with the caption “hurry home appa” or “I miss you appa”. He said removing his brown trench coat and sitting on the couch.

“I knew you will surrender sooner or later. Don’t worry I won’t ask you to give me a vacation because you already took my place in Japan to take care of them, I just need to go home early every day.” He said giving him a wink and seated on the couch on his right side. “I thought you’re going to go home first but I was really surprise when you called that you’re on your way here. Aren’t you over working yourself? Eomoni might get worried with your health.” He said concern.

“I’m fine, I’m taking my vitamins regularly. I haven’t told her yet that I’m back. She’ll just nag me to go home and rest, but I can’t right now.” He explained.

“She’s just worried about you like we are. You’ve been working nonstop for the past few months and you need to rest even for just a day.” He said with concern.

“Don’t worry I’m going to take the day off tomorrow. I’m sure she won’t let me go out if I won’t tell her that I took the day off.” He said giving him a reassuring smile. “How are the new designs for the S/S Collection?” he said returning to his work mode.

“Here are the best new designs that I and the Design Team chose from all the drawings that they did. The samples will be sent here tomorrow, so you could check them the following day for your final approval.” He said handling him some folders with drawings. “And these are the budget that needs your final approval for the additional production of the padded coats that the CNBlue wore in the winter commercial that were release last week.” He added giving him another folder.

“Ah those guys are really popular. Make sure to make them wear different designs where ever country that they go to. They aren’t finish with their tour yet, right? I haven’t talk to Jong Hyun for a while.” He said looking at the second folder with the budget in it. “It has your signature in it, so this is fine.” He said signing the paper in the folder and giving it back to Ji Sung.

“What do you want for lunch? I will ask Mrs. Kim to get you lunch.” Ji Sung asked taking another folder from the table.

Jong Suk notice the magazine that was under the folder that Ji Sung grab. “Wait, is that Woo Bin-ah?” he asked taking the magazine to make sure that he read the cover correctly. Woo Bin is in the cover of the magazine alongside the quote “Most sought Bachelor of this generation successfully built his empire in China”. Jong Suk blink a couple of times to make sure that he really the word ‘bachelor’ correctly.

“Hyung, what is this?” Jong Suk asked with a shaky voice.

“Ahm, a magazine.” Ji Sung answered with humor.

“I know it’s a magazine. But why is it saying Woo Bin is a bachelor? Didn’t he and Shin Hye…?” he asked but never really finish his words.

“You didn’t know?” Ji Sung asked confuse.

“Know what?” now he’s confused too.

“Shin Hye and Woo Bin broke up. Woo Bin moved to China after they broke up to focus their business. You didn’t know that they broke up?” Ji Sung asked again.

Jong Suk froze for a moment trying to gather his lost thoughts. “Why didn’t anyone tell me about this? Did Jong Hyun knew about it?” he asked still in disbelief.

“Yes. I think all of the people in Korea knew about it because his mother made it a hot issue in the newspaper and entertainment news. We thought you already when you left. Jong Hyun said he called you to tell you about it but you said you already knew. Ah jinjja, what would happened then if you knew that they broke up?” he asked with his Sherlock holmes face.

“They broke up before I even left for Japan and I didn’t know about it? That’s what Jong Hyun wanted to tell me but I never let him finished and even asked him to let it go. Ah you’re such a fool Jong Suk-ah. Why didn’t you let him finish before you said something?” Jong Suk said thinking out loud.

“Yah! You want some water? You look like you’re going to have a heart attack.” Ji Sung said giving him a glass of water.

“How’s Shin Hye doing? Is she here in Seoul?” Jong Suk asked after drinking a water, but his heart is still beating fast.

“We saw her last week in the hospital and she was looking fine. She look even prettier because she lost some weight. Wait, why are you asking about her now? I thought you already moved on?” he asked with full of curiosity.

“Hyung can you leave me alone for a while? I need some time to think.” He asked still in a shock mode.

“Okay, I get it. I will ask Mrs. Kim to get you some food. I think you really need it right now. Let’s talk again later.” He said before going out.

Jong Suk pulled out his phone from his pocket and browse for Shin Hye’s number. He suddenly remembers how many times he tried to erase her number every time he was tempted to call her, but he couldn’t delete it. He thought that maybe this is the reason why he couldn’t do it. He stared at his phone for a couple of minutes until he realized what he’s doing. Yes, what is he doing right now and why is he feeling this way when he already moved on? Or did he really moved on? He put down his phone on the table and stood and looked at the horizon on the big glass window.

“Jong Suk-ah you need to calm down. Ah why is my heart beating so fast?” he asked feeling his heart beat with his right hand. “Ah maybe because I was really surprise about the news and for drinking a lot of coffee before I left earlier.” He said trying to make excuses. “You should get back to work now and stop thinking about things in the past.” He said to himself. “I will have a long day tomorrow. I should just be thinking of what to do to keep me busy.” He said sighing before going back to the folders.

 

Shin Hye is walking her way to the coffee shop, like what she always do before going to work. But today she’s not going to work. She’s wearing a beautiful white dress with flowers and leaves design printed on it and a black Valentino coat to fight the cold wind and paired it with a black stiletto. She looks like she’s going to a cocktail party early in the morning.

She’s busy reading something on her phone on her way inside the café when she bumped to someone on the door. The guy is wearing a rip denim jeans and a white sweatshirt with Donald Duck printed in front and a black cap. The guy was busy looking at his phone too that he didn’t noticed someone on the door.

Shin Hye dropped her phone while the guy hit his arm on the glass door.

“Saesang-e! Mianhe, are you okay?” she asked the guy who kneeled down to pick up her phone.

“Shin Hye-yah!” Jong Suk exclaimed in surprise.

“Ah, Jong Suk-ah. What are you doing here? Are you alright?” she asked surprise and helped him to stand.

“I’m okay, but your phone is not.” He said looking at her phone with a broken screen.

“Huh! I guess I really need to replace it now.” She said after checking the damage on her phone. “When did you come back? I’m really surprise to see you here.” She said with a wide smile.

“Neh, me too. I came back yesterday.” He said smiling back. “Hyung was right, you’re really beautiful.” He said thinking out loud.

“What is that?” she asked unable to hear what he just said.

“I said you change a lot. You’re more beautiful now.” He said with his sweetest smile.

“Gomawo. And you didn’t change at all. You still have a flowery tongue. How have you been?” she asked excitedly.

“Wanna have a sit over there?” he led her to the chairs placed outside the café. “I’m good. I’d been busy with work. How are you doing? I heard about you and Woo Bin-ah.” He said looking straight to her trying to read her reaction.

“Neh. It’s unfortunate but that’s life.” She said not giving any details. “Are you back for good?” she asked curiously.

Jong Suk’s heart wants to jump from his chest for beating too fast. He doesn’t know why he’s feeling hot in this weather and hope she won’t notice that he’s nervous.

“Yes. I’m here for good.” He said and couldn’t hide his excited smile. “Are you on your way to the hospital? Come I’ll walk you there.” He offered.

“I’m not working today. I’m meeting someone here today. We’re going to our friend’s wedding.” She said when she noticed that Jong Suk is rubbing his arm that hit the door. “Did you hurt your arm earlier? Let me see.” She said moving her chair beside him and grab his arm.

“I’m okay. It’s just itchy, I guess because of my shirt.” He reason out.

Shin Hye pulled up his sleeve to check his arm. “Okay. No bruises. Does it hurt?” she asked as she pressed her thumb on the red part while holding his hand with her other hand.

“No. I told you I’m fine.” He said but didn’t make any effort to move his arm away from her and couldn’t hide his grin.

“Are you sure?” she asked giving him a serious look.

“Neh, Dr. Park I’m okay.” He said and give her an assuring smile.

Shin Hye pulled down his sleeve and about to move her chair to its original place but Jong Suk caught her hand and hold it. She was startled and turn to look at him but Jong Suk is already looking at her and their eyes meet. Her heart is starting to race, she’s now feeling heat from deep inside her body. They stayed like that looking in each other’s eyes and listening to their own heartbeat.

“Can I asked you something?” Jong Suk finally said. “Why didn’t you call me that day? I would have never left if you only called me and told me what happened. And even if I already left if you just called me I would return right away to be with you. Why?” he asked with full of curiosity still looking straight to her eyes.

“Yah, why are you holding another man’s hand? And why aren’t you wearing your ring?” A man standing at her back suddenly asked.

Shin Hye suddenly pushed Jong Suk’s hand. “Yah! Ah jinjja, you startle me, I almost had a heart attack. I thought you’re going to be late?” she asked to the man.

“I felt something is not right so I hurried here. And then I saw you here holding another man’s hand and you’re not wearing your ring.” The man said with a cute pout.

“I forgot. Do I really need to wear it every time?” she asked annoyed.

“Of course it’s our couple ring.” The man said proudly while showing his rings.

“Aish, I’ll wear it next time. I left it in the house and I’m not going back there just to get it.” She said and noticed the confuse Jong Suk in front of her. “By the way, this is Lee Jong Suk, a friend and Lee Jong Hyun’s big brother.” She introduced him to the man seating beside her.

“Nice to meet you another guy friend, Lee Jong Suk-ssi. I’m Kim Soo Hyun, her boyfriend.” The guy introduced himself proudly as he offer his hand to shake.