Another Freeway

Crossroads

“Hey, Shin Hye-yah!” Yuri calls while waving her hand.

Jong Suk couldn’t move when he saw whose Yuri’s friend sitting on the left corner of the restaurant with a lovely smile. “I’m really dead. She will definitely kill me now.” He murmurs.

“Yah, I know she’s beautiful but stop spacing out. Come on.” She said and grabs his hand to walk.

Shin Hye wasn’t able to see Jong Suk when Yuri called as she’s busy with her phone.

“Oh Yuri-yah, I thought you’re still…” she said but wasn’t able to finish what she was saying when she sees Jong Suk holding Yuri’s hand. “Jong Suk!? What are you doing here?” she asked glaring at the nervous Jong Suk.

“Huh, do you know each other? Well, I guess I don’t need to introduce you my boyfriend now.” Yuri said confidently.

“You’re boyfriend?” Shin Hye asked in disbelief and still glaring at the nervous Jong Suk who couldn’t even say anything.

“Neh. He’s the one I’m telling you. Ah, I’m starving. Should we order something now?” she said sitting.

Shin Hye immediately kick Jong Suk’s foot as soon as he seated across her. He yell in pain but Shin Hye eyed him to keep it down.

“What the hell are you doing? Why are you her boyfriend?” she asked whispering so that Yuri won’t hear her.

“Yeah, what do you think you’re doing?” A man said taking a seat beside Shin Hye.

“Oh, I thought you two broke up? Are you back together again?” she asked after ordering. “Ah, this is like a double date.” She added.

“Should we just get back together?” Woo Bin asked Shin Hye while putting his arm around her shoulder.

Jong Suk couldn’t take it anymore and felt jealous over Woo Bin putting her arm around her.

“Yah, Yuri-yah I told you I don’t wanna do this. I told you I have a girlfriend and it is Shin Hye.” Jong Suk finally said after receiving much kick from her.

“Ah jinjja? Is it true eonni?” Yuri asked looking at Jong Suk.

“Neh. He’s my boyfriend. And could you please explain what is going on here Lee Jong Suk-ssi?” Shin Hye demanded looking intently at the cornered Jong Suk.

“Okay. Now she’s mad cause she’s calling you with your whole name and formally.” Woo Bin commented teasing the now nervous Jong Suk.

“Miane eonni, it was my idea t pretend. He told me that he already has a girlfriend but I insisted on pretending that we’re together.” Yuri explained.

“Wae? Why would you do that?” Shin Hye asked disappointed.

“Well, it is a very long story. I already know that you’re together. Ji Sung oppa told me and I just thought to make you jealous.” She explained. “I’m really sorry. Please don’t get mad at him. I just really wanna see your jealous face but then I realized that you’re not the type to easily get jealous. Jeongmal miane.” she added begging.

“Ah jinjja. Did you know how much I am holding myself from punching him? I was madder than jealous because I thought was playing me.” She said in relief.

“You wanted to punch me when you were already kicking my leg under the table.” he commented.

“I knew she’ll do that.” Woo Bin commented before bursting of laughter.

“Apeu. I think it is already broken.” He said overreacting while reaching for his left foot.

“Miane. I will treat you in the hospital later.” she apologized.

“I thought you’re with Hong Ki? What happened to the new office? And why are you with him?” he asked pointing at Woo Bin with his sharp look.

“Ah, Hong Ki left after an hour of babbling all his complains about President Han. He didn’t even help me carry the table. Just before Hong Ki left, Woo Bin-ah called me and asking me to eat lunch out. So, I told him that I will only eat out with him if he helps me carry some furnitures.” She explained.

“Yah, why are you inviting my girlfriend to eat lunch without even telling me?” he said a little annoyed.

“Yah, she’s my friend why would I need to get your approval when I want to eat lunch with her? Aren’t you being selfish?” he countered.

“Okay, if you’re not going to eat just go outside and continue you’re conversation there because you’re interrupting our meal.” Shin Hye said trying to get in between, though she knew that Woo Bin was just teasing Jong Suk.

“You’re so cool eonni.” Yuri commented and laughs.

The four of them continued to eat and updated each other for the past time that they didn’t see each other. Of course that goes with Shin Hye and Yuri. Woo Bin continued to tease Jong Suk and Jong Suk continued to bicker with him which seems like they are the real lovers in the circle.

 

Shin Hye was back in the hospital after having lunch. She just finished her rounds and she’s sitting in her office in deep thought. It’s been a month when Woo Bin went back to LA and it has been two weeks since Jong Suk went to Japan with Yuri for some business training for her. Her mind drifted back to when they had lunch together, she really thought that Jong Suk was playing with her. And that was when she hit her and realized how deep her love for him is. Yes, they just started formally dating for weeks but the feelings was always there. The feelings that she tried so hard to deny.  She could not even imagine him with other woman and when she saw him with Yuri, her heart broke and for a moment she didn’t know what to do and say. She’s always been in control of everything in her life, her work, her friends and even her emotion. But what will she do if that happens for real? Jong Suk cheating on her? Ah, she shrugs the thought as she felt weakness and anxiety in her mind. Why is she even thinking about it? Jong Suk loves her and he will never cheat on her period.

A smile formed on her face when her thought went back to the night before Woo Bin went back to LA.

-FLASHBACK-

“Where is he?” she asked worriedly.

“He passed out on the table.” Woo Bin said with his drunk voice.

“Why did you let him get drunk? You know that he can’t even handle a bottle of beer.” She scold entering the bar.

“Yah! I’m not his nanny who needs to look at him 24/7. I just went to take a pee and when I came back he was already in his second bottle and then he just passed out.” He explained.

“Yah Jong Suk-ah! Lee Jong Suk!” She called while shaking his shoulders. “Where is his car keys?” She asked Woo Bin.

“In his pocket I guess. Is he still breathing?” He asked curiously.

“Ah jinjja.” She said putting her hand in his pocket to get the key. “I will forgive you this time because you’re drunk but when you get sober, you two will e dead meat!” She warned Woo Bin with her fist in his face.

“Ah, good thing I will leave tomorrow.” Woo Bin teases.

“Hey, can you stand up?” she whispered at Jong Suk’s ear and Jong Suk moves.

“Shin Hye-yah, what are you doing here? Am I dreaming?” he murmurs with his super drunk voice before touching her face. “I wanna kiss you.” He said coming closer to her but Shin Hye stops him.

“Oh you are in a lot of trouble.” she said after stopping him. “Come on, we need to get you home.” she said helping him to stand. “Aren’t you going to help me?” she asked giving Woo Bin a tiger look.

“Alright.” Woo Bin answered putting his right arm on his shoulder.

They walked to the front of the bar where Jong Suk’s car is park. Woo Bin was supporting Jong Suk in his Shoulder while Shin Hye opens the passenger door to throw him in. Shin Hye adjusted the headrest to make more comfortable before closing the door.

“Get in. I’ll drop you home.” Shin Hye motioned Woo Bin pointing at the back seat.

“Ani. I already called Jong Kook hyung and he’s on his way. Just get him home and be careful on driving.” he said giving her a thumbs up and an okay smile.

“Are you sure? You’re drunk too.” She asked with a worried look.

“I’m okay and I’m not drunk. I’m just a little tipsy. I’m still in my right mind, don’t worry about me. I’ll stay inside until Jong Kook hyung comes.” he said trying to balance his feet on the ground.

“Okay. Text me when you get home or I will be worried.” she said and gives him a hug.

“Of course, I will text when Jong Kook hyung gets here.” he tighten his embrace to her. “I will miss you. Don’t be too harsh to him, I kinda mixed some whiskey on his beers. I was just trying if he could tell the difference but then realized he could not because he’s not a drinker.” he said letting go of the hug. “I will see you in the hospital before I drive to the airport.” He added before she even make a protest and gives her a kiss on her cheek. “Be careful.”

“Yeah, you too.” she said before getting in the car.

Shin Hye asked one of the security guards for help to get Jong Suk into the elevator and to her house. Jong Suk is now lying in her bed like a dead man. Shin Hye entered with a glass of water in her hand.

“Hey, drink this.” Shin Hye said while helping him to sit down.

Jong Suk drank the water without even saying anything and laid again after. Shin Hye removed his socks and his coat leaving only his white shirt to make him more comfortable.

“Where are you going?” Jong Suk asked when he heard her footsteps heading to the door.

“I’m going to get you a change of clothes.” She said turning to see the still almost unconscious Jong Suk.

When Shin Hye returned with his clothes hanging on her right arm, Jong Suk was no longer on the bed. She ran to the other side thinking he might fell but he wasn’t there either. And then she heard something in the bathroom and immediately walked in there.

“What are you doing?” she asked still in her calm voice.

Jong Suk was standing in front of the mirror with his hands pressed onto the sink to keep his balance. “I peed. I can still taste the beer in my mouth.” he said trying to put some toothpaste in his brush.

Shin Hye took his brush and helped him. “Where did you throw your shirt and your pants?” She asked before giving back his brush.

No, he’s not , he was half still wearing his boxer shorts.

“Dirty basket.” he said in between brushes.

Shin Hye stared at him in the mirror watching him brush his teeth while trying to balance himself with his left hand pressed onto the sink. “I don’t know if I should get mad at you for drinking or i will laugh at you because you really look awful right now.” she said handling him a towel to wipe his face. “But you’re seem to getting back t yourself.” she added looking at him in the mirror.

“I just washed my face with cold water but my head is still spinning.” he said wiping his face. “Ah, I will never drink or even touch a bottle or a can of beer ever again. I really feel awful, I can hardly stand because I feel like spinning around and my body feels hot.” he added and turned to face her.

Shin Hye was looking at him with a grin in her face.

“Wae? Why are you grinning like that? Come here.” he said before pulling her into his embrace and gave her a kiss once, twice on her lips.

Shin Hye cupped his face with her hands. “You didn’t just drink beer. Woo Bin poured whiskey on your beer that’s why your body feels hot. You didn’t know the difference because you’re not really a drinker.” she said now giving him a kiss on his lips.

“Ah I don’t even wanna think on how he did it with my head spinning right now.” he said touching his head with his right hand.

“Come on I’ll help you walk so you can dress up.” she said motioning to walk but pulled her closer to him.

“Let’s stay here for a while. I just wanna hold you like this and kiss you like this.” he said before giving her a deep kiss in .

Shin Hye answered by kissing him back and putting her hands on his firm back. “You’re drunk but you still know how to kiss.” she said in between kisses.

Jong Suk pulled back and cupped her face with his hands and kissed her button nose. “I will be leaving a week from now and I’m going to miss you. I wanna remember this night every time I miss you and you’re too busy that I can’t call you.” He added while caressing his face with his thumbs before kissing her nose again.

“I doubt that you will remember this. You will forget everything including how you got drunk and passed out in that bar when you wakes up tomorrow.” she said running her hands on his .

Jong Suk felt some electricity runs from his back to his whole body with every touch that she does. “Not if we do this.” he said before giving her a passionate kiss that seems to take her strength away.

Jong Suk suddenly felt his dizziness disappear and his knees getting strong, so he carried her in a bridal style and walked out of the bathroom to her bed while having a tongue fight. He slowly put her down on the edge of the bed to sit before breaking the kiss to make a room for air to breath. He helped her remove her blouse before pushing her up to the bed and adjusted himself to comfortably lay in his stomach facing her under.

“Saranghe.” he said before kissing her fervidly again.

Shin Hye felt a tingle in her stomach that made her moan with his consuming kiss. The night was spent well with their burning body together as one and with the wind blowing outside the window.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

She was smiling like a lunatic until her thought shifted to what Dr. Yoo told her earlier. Ah, what a mood killer. There were reports of some few clinics closing around the area because of tax issue and so Dr. Yoo as the director of the hospital wants them to take some extra shift to accommodate the additional patients that will be transferred to their hospital. And that of course, she has to take Dr. Yoo’s additional hour shift as he like to call it “payment for the office that he gave her”, which means she has to double shift or she will have to work on the weekends. But of course she chose to double shift than work on the weekends, it’s the only time that she can spend with Jong Suk because he doesn’t work on weekends. She suddenly felt a little twitch in her mind, ah headache for over thinking.

“What will you do with all these books? Are you trying to make a library of medical books here?” Soo Hyun asked but she didn’t hear it. “Earth calling Shin Hye, you can get back now to wherever part of the universe your mind is.” He said dropping a book on the table that startled her.

“Oppa! What do you think you’re doing? I almost had a heart attack.” She said picking up the book on the table. “Charles Darwin, one of my favorite.” She said looking at the cover of the book.

“You look like a crazy doctor smiling by yourself in there. What are you spacing about?” he asked her with a grin in his face.

“Ah, about the additional shift I need to take for Dr. Yoo. It’s so unfair, why do I need to take his extra shift?” she said a little annoyed.

“But that’s what you agreed for this.” he said spreading his arms like showing the whole room.

“Right.” she agreed. “So, did he receive your resignation?” she asked standing to her chair and walking to sit beside him on the couch.

“Neh. He didn’t want to but I told him that I really wanna do it and will returned after I get my masters in New York.” he explained.

“I will be very sad when you leave. Who will comfort me and protect me when Dr. Yoo scolds me? Who will buy me lunch and dinner when I’m feeling tired?” she said leaning her head on his shoulder.

Soo Hyun poked her forehead. “Yah! You will be sad because of those things? What am I? Your mother? I thought you’re going to be sad because you’re going to miss me.” he said annoyed but smiled.

“Oppa!” she said scratching her forehead where he poked. “Of course I’ll be said because I’m going to miss you.” she said and gave him a cute smile before leaning her head again.

“When will Jong Suk going back?” he asked curiously.

Shin Hye shifted to face him. “Next weekend.” she said suddenly getting excited.

“Ah jinjja. Are you that excited?” he said trying to . “Therefore I conclude that you were spacing about Jong Suk earlier because your smile is the same as earlier. Ah, I’m so jealous, I need to find love sooner.” he said teasing her.

“Oppa, maybe you will meet her in New York. Do you prefer blonde or brunette? Do you want me to set you up on date? I have some friends that lives in New York.” she suggested.

“Are they beautiful too?” he asked curiously.

“Of course. I have a doctor, a lawyer, and a entrepreneur friend and they are all single. Which one do you prefer?” she asked.

“Ah the doctor would be good, we have the same job but I guess it would be boring to talk about what we already know. The lawyer would be a no, she knows the law and it would be very dangerous for me.” he said smiling with his thoughts.

“Because she might sue you for ual harassment.” she said reading his mind and laughs.

“Exactly. So, the businesswoman will be perfect. And I’m sure my mom will love her. They will have a lot to talk about.” he decided.

“Okay I will call her when you get to New York.” she said in agreement.

“Oh, I can’t wait to meet her. Do you have a picture of her?” he asked with a smile pasted on his face.

Shin Hye showed him some pictures on her phone with her friends when in the States and Soo Hyun was all excited with all the beautiful and professional friends that she has.

 

Jong Hyun is waiting in the parking lot of Gimpo Airport. His plane just landed an hour ago and before he can even lay his back on his bed, he’s here again waiting. He checked his watch and it is already one in the morning, which means he’s been waiting for half an hour inside his car. He spotted the rookie actress that he was partner with in one of their music video a while ago, probably going overseas. So he decided to wait in his car rather than on the VIP lounge to prevent some fans from spotting him and making stories on SNS about him and her. He’s been link with her many times since that video and he doesn’t want any more issue now that the tour is done. He just wanna take this time to rest and not think about his work.

He pulled out his phone checking for a message but there was none. The truth is, he couldn’t even remember what time he should be in the airport. When they were talking on the phone all he could remember is he should drive to the airport and wait. He didn’t even have the chance to say that he just got home from Los Angeles or even asked for the flight number. Thinking that he might came early, he put his phone to high volume and adjusted his seat so he can take a nap. Just when he was about to close his eyes, a tall guy wearing a gray cap, hugging a medium size rilakkuma bear on his left arm and carrying a black back bag suddenly knocked on the window. Jong Hyun was startled and jumped from his seat that he almost pressed on the horn of his car.

He immediately unlock the door and the guy opened door and tossed his trolley and his back bag to the backseat before running to the passenger side and get in still hugging the rilakkuma bear.

“Yah, I didn’t know you like that bear. You should have told me and bought you every time we go to Japan.” he said laughing.

“This is not for me. It’s for Shin Hye, it’s her favorite. She has a tons of this from the biggest to the smallest one in their house in Busan.” he said smiling while looking at the bear.

“Neh. Yong Hwa hyung always buy her that bear.” he said remembering. “Wait, when did you see her collection of rilakkuma bear?” he asked immediately facing her with curiosity.

“Yong Hwa bought her those bear?” he asked surprise.

“Not all of them I guess. But he does buy her whenever we go to Japan.” he answered.

“Oh.” he said disappointed. “But this is one should be special.” he said trying to console his self.

Jong Hyun didn’t say anything and just looked at his brother who look like a child talking to the bear. He adjusted his seat again before driving out of the parking lot.

“When are you going to visit eomma?” Jong Suk asked sitting the bear in his lap.

“I’m still waiting for Joon Young hyung to finish some of his commitments, so probably on Wednesday. I already informed eomma yesterday.” he said.

“Are you going fishing again?” he asked.

“Neh. Fishing is a good stress reliever. Its fun and exciting waiting for the rod to weigh. And the anticipation on what kind of fish will eat your bait.” he explained smiling.

“Its good thing that you have something to let your stress out, aside from playing on your computer the whole day and night.” he said reminding him of his online games days.

“I realized that being outside and moving is healthy.” he said looking straight to the road.

“Just dropped me off to Shin Hye’s house. I wanna surprise her.” he said smiling.

“She doesn’t know you’re coming back today?” he asked glancing at him.

“No. I told her I’m coming back next weekend. She’s still probably in the hospital right now. She was calling me before I got on the plane in Japan but I didn’t answer her. I wanna see her surprise face.” he said grinning with her thought.

“You know that Shin Hye doesn’t like surprises right?” he reminded him.

“I know but I really wanna see her surprise look. She’ll be out of the hospital an hour from now.” he said checking his watch.

“By the way, is eomma planning to permanently live in Jeju?” he asked changing the topic.

“Didn’t you asked her? She asked Ji Sung hyung to find her a house there. So I guess she’s planning to stay. Most of her friends live there already. And the air is more fresh and healthy there. And Mrs. Kim is there with her to help her.” he explained to his brother who was gone for five months. “I will visit her next month before the winter comes.” he added.

Jong Hyun continue to drive until they arrived in front of Shin Hye’s house building. Jong Suk pulled out his back bag and the paper bag with a Tokyo Banana logo before saying goodbye to Jong Hyun.

He enters the house in darkness and thought that Shin Hye is still not home. He put his bag on the other room and took the bear with him on her room. He sits the bear on the bed before walking to the bathroom to take a shower.

 

Shin Hye is walking to her office after finishing one operation and assisting Soo Hyun with the other one before that. She’s very tired but still smiling because there was no casualty the whole day in the hospital. She yawn and realized that it is already two in the morning and she still needs to do her final round before going home. She suddenly felt sleepy while entering her office thinking of the couch in front of her table. Well, she’s probably not going home and just sleep in the couch, she have her own room now so no one will disturb her sleep. Well, that’s what she thought.

She opened the door and saw someone lying on the couch, his back facing the table and snoring.

“Ah jinjja. Do they even know how to read?” she said checking the name written on the door. “Yah! Ha Neul! Why are you sleeping on my office?” he called to the man sleeping on the couch.

“Shin Hye, just let me sleep here tonight. The Doctor’s lounge is so noisy I can’t even close my eyes.” he said but didn’t move.

Shin Hye seated on the chair and just let out a heavy sigh. She pulled out her phone and check for a message but there was none. Jong Suk haven’t texted or called her the whole day and she’s starting to worry again. She called him before going to the operating room but his phone was shut off, so she sent him a text but there was no reply until now. She’s about to dial his number when Soo Hyun knocked on the door with two cups of coffee in his hands.

“Here. Thank you for assisting me earlier.” Soo Hyun said giving her the other cup of coffee. “Ah jinjja, I’ve been looking for this guy everywhere and he’s just here sleeping.” he said seeing Ha Neul sleeping on the couch.

“He haven’t slept for 24 hours straight so I will let him pass this time.” she said looking at him.

“Gomawo.” Ha Neul said still not moving from the couch.

“Wae?” Soo Hyun asked looking at her face.

“What?” Shin Hye asked trying to erase the anxiety written on her face.

“I know you’re tired too but anxiety on your face is so obvious. Jong Suk haven’t call you back?” he said knowing that she was trying to call him for the past few hours.

“Neh. I’m starting to worry. He might be busy but he will never let the day end without texting or calling me.” she said worriedly.

“Is he starting to cheat on you? Huh, this isn’t good, she’s out there alone and cold and he needs someone to make him warm.” he said teasing him.

“Oppa, you know I will never fall on that. So just stop because it’s not helping.” she said a little annoyed and drinks from the cup of coffee. “Ah, I should just probably get my round finish so I can go home.” she said letting out a heavy sigh. “Aren’t you going home yet?” she asked.

“I am.” he said following her out of the door. “

Shin Hye made her last round and when everything is in place and after giving instruction to other interns and nurses, she went straight to her office to get her bag. Ha Neul is already awake when she entered.

“Oh, you’re awake.” she said grabbing her bag from the back of her table.

“I went out to take a pee. Are you going home?” he asked lying again on the couch.

“Obviously I am. My office is pre-occupied that I can’t even sleep here.” she said overreacting.

“Switch off the light and close the door when you leave, please.” he said provoking her.

“Yes sir. Jalja.” she said and left the room.

She’s walking out of the hospital exit when a blast of cold win flew around her. She close her coat with her and continue to walk. She was walking slowly than the usual thinking about Jong Suk. Well, he might be really busy and could not able to even get hold of his phone, she thought, I hope it won’t become a habit though. She shakes the cold wind on her face and look at the old man walking on the street, probably went for a drink on the tent lining on the other side of the street.

It’s almost 3 in the morning and there are already a lot of people on the street with the different color of lights lighting every block and corner of the street. She smile with the sight of the Taekwondo players doing their morning routine on the near park. She was enjoying every step she made by just observing her surroundings. Small things like those are really the precious ones, she thought.

And finally she made it in front of the house. She pressed on the password and entered observing the house, that’s been quite and lonely for some time. She walked straight to the kitchen to get some water when she noticed a used glass on the sink. She suddenly felt nervous and hold the glass to make sure it is real and just her hallucination.

“What is this glass doing here? I’m sure that I clean everything before I left yesterday.” she said to herself when she notice that the light in the bedroom is switch on.

She grabbed a frying pan on the drawer and walks slowly and quietly as possible to the bedroom. She slowly opens the door and her heart almost stop seeing a guy half with just a towel on. He probably just came out of the shower and changing to his blue stripes pajamas.

“Yah! Jung Yong Hwa! What are you doing here?” she shouted with the frying pan ready to hit him.