Visitor

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

It's already three in the morning and Kim's consciousness is still at its peak. She's currently lying on the couch while Pie is occupying her bedroom. Her mind can't seem to forget what Pie had told her earlier.

She can't fall for me? What does she mean by that? She can't as in 'cannot' or she 'doesn't' want to fall for me? Aarrrgh! But she wants me to be her friend. What for? Maybe she's not really into this kind of thing.

Slowly, her deep thoughts brought her to sleep.

---

Pie woke up seeing the beam of morning light from the window. She stretched her arms out and looked around. She got up immediately upon realizing that she's in an unfamiliar bedroom.

Where am I?

She brought a hand to her head after a terrible ache surged. She tried recalling what happened.

Van, Jane, Kim and I went out last night. Jane and Kim were so sweet. Then we met Zee, Kim's friend, and the owner of the bar. She offered us their special house drink. It tastes so good. I had a few shots. I felt my legs getting numb. I remember I was being carried by Kim and Van to the parking lot. What happened after that?

Pie scanned the room. She saw a table alarm clock on the bedside table.

, it's 10 am! I need to call mom. She's going to be mad!

She found her purse nearby and fished for her mobile phone. She frowned because her battery is empty.

Tsk. I'm in big trouble.

She stood up from the bed and wandered around the room, wanting to find out whose house she's in right now. She saw a picture frame on the table near the window. It's Kim's graduation picture with an older man beside her, probably her dad.

Oh. So, this is Kim's place.

Her eyes widened.

Wait, I'm in Kim's place!

She panicked. She can't contain the idea that Kim saw her in that kind of situation. She's more embarrassed with the idea that Kim will see her now in her haggard appearance. And what's worst is she can't remember a thing from last night. What if she'd done something that she wasn't supposed to do?

Wait, did we... oh c'mon, Pie! What are you thinking?

She slapped herself.

But I'm alone in bed, and these are my clothes from yesterday. Where is she?

She went out of the room and found Kim on the couch, her whole body covered in a blanket. Pie bent a little to take a closer look at Kim's face.

Ooh, the kid is still sleeping, huh.

She touched Kim's nose with a fingertip. Kim didn't move. Pie smiled.

Silly me. What am I doing?

She stared at Kim and noticed something.

---

Kim is standing near an abyss.

She looked around to check if anyone was with her. There's none. She felt alone. She always feels alone. Ever since her mom died her father drowned himself to work just to cope up with his grieving. For a little child of her age, Kim didn't know the process to move on.

Then she saw Nam standing on the edge of the other cliff in front of her. She wanted to go there but there's no bridge anywhere. The cliff is too high, and she will die if she falls in the river below.

"Nam!" she called out.

Nam didn't turn.

"NAM!"

Nam didn't seem to hear her.

She took few steps back and strode forward, running fast. Upon reaching the edge of the cliff, Kim jumped as high as she could. She thought she's going to make it -- she was sure she could -- but due to unknown elements, while in the air, she saw the gap of the cliffs became wider, making her land on both hands holding onto the edge of the other cliff.

"Nam! Help me!" She looked down and saw the wild current of water.

She tried to rest her right foot on a stone bump but it cracked and fell immediately. She looked up and saw Nam staring down at her.

"Nam, help me! I don't wanna fall!"

"Kim."

She heard a voice. She was sure it wasn't Nam's. She didn't even saw Nam's lips move. She looked around and there's no one else but them. She looked up again.

"Nam, please? Don't let me down again..."

"Kim!"

The voice was louder this time. She felt her world shaking and everything is falling into the abyss. Her left hand slipped its grip from the stone. She's now hanging with one hand.

The quake's intensity increased. Little by little the cliff's edge cracked and she fell, having the last glimpse of Nam looking down at her.

---

"NAM!" Kim cried out, getting up from the couch.

Pie didn't move for a second. Kim's face is leveling hers, eyes locked into hers. Her mind is full of unexplainable feelings towards this Nam girl that she’s heard for the third time now.

Kim looked down, gasping for air. She's sweating.

"Kim?" Pie tugged Kim's sleeve. "Are you okay?"

Kim slowly nodded. She covered her chin and mouth with a hand and looked away.

"You're... you're having a nightmare…. I had to wake you up..."

"Yeah... Sorry about that. Thanks, Pie."

"Are you sure you're okay now?"

"Mmm-mmm. Don't worry. I'm fine."

"Okay." Pie felt at ease this time. She moved away and sat on the other end of the sofa. "By the way can I use your phone? I need to call my mom. My battery's empty. I'm pretty sure she's already worried about me."

Kim removed the blanket from her body and stood up from the couch. "Sure. Go ahead," she said, pointing at the phone on the table. "Just do your thing. I'll just wash my face."

"Okay. Thanks."

---

That surely was a weird dream.

Kim stared at her reflection in the mirror, making sure she looks refreshed now.

She went out from the bathroom and heard Pie talking to her mom on the phone.

"Sorry, mom, my battery's drained so I wasn't able to call you right away." Pie became silent while listening to the person on the other line. "Yeah, I'm with a female friend right now. I'll be home in few hours." Silence again. "I love you too, mom. Bye."

Kim smiled at the term “female friend”. Well, technically, she’s still a female.

Pie put back the phone on the table. When she turned around she saw Kim wiping feet on the rug. She felt glad seeing the latter looking better this time.

"'sup?" Kim wagged her eyebrows.

Pie smiled after seeing Kim’s aura changed back to normal. “Can you tell me how I end up here in your place?"

Kim threw the towel on her right shoulder as she walked to sit on the couch. "You passed out on me, Pie."

Pie sat on the couch adjacent to Kim's. "Sorry about that..."

"I don't know where you live. After driving Van home, I don't know where else to go."

"How did we make it up here?"

"I carried you on my back," said Kim, tapping the back of her shoulder.

"Ow..." Pie, who looks embarrassed, placed her fingers on her lips.

"You're heavier than I thought," said Kim, letting out a soft laugh. This made Pie throw a pillow at her which she dodged immediately. "Do you remember anything from last night?"

"Just hazy memories..."

"Do you remember getting here in my room?"

"No, not that part."

"Oh, I see."

"Did something..."

"Huh?"

"Kim, did we..." Pie scrunched up her face and waved her hand like there is more to say that she cannot say.

Kim didn't get it at first. She gazed at Pie for few more seconds, wondering what the girl wanted to tell her.

“Did something…” Pie trailed off, still hesitating, “…you know… you and me…”

Kim's jaw dropped when she deciphered the message. She knew she got it right when Pie's face blushed.

"No! NO! No, Pie! None of that!"

Both looked away from each other after feeling embarrassed with the idea. Kim looked out the window and Pie looked somewhere else while scratching her head.

There were few seconds of silence until Kim decided to break it, "Umm, Pie? I'm going out for a while to buy something. Would you like to take a shower and refresh yourself before I drive you home?"

"Love to, but..." Pie smelled her blouse and pursed her lips after. "Do you mind lending me a blouse or a shirt? I'd like to change my top, it's stinky."

"Feel free to check my closet. Grab anything you like." Kim pointed at her closet.

Pie looked at the same direction and went back to Kim. "Thanks."

Kim pointed at the bathroom this time. "There's an extra disposable toothbrush in the bathroom, you can use it."

"Perfect."

---

Extra disposable toothbrush, huh? I wonder how many women had she brought here already?

Pie just finished bathing and is now skeptically staring at the toothbrush in her hand. She noticed the mouthwash beside the toothpaste.

Okay, so this is the magical mouthwash.

After brushing and testing out Kim's mouthwash, Pie went out of the bathroom with the towel wrapped around her body. Kim said she'll be out for about an hour, enough time for Pie to finish fixing herself. She opened Kim's closet and ran through the clothes. She chose the white button-down shirt to wear.

While drying her hair in front of the mirror, she noticed a reflection of a room at the back. Out of curiosity, she walked there to check. She the lights and her eyes widened.

Oh. My. Gosh.

Pie was simply amazed. The room is filled with different pictures of people, some framed and some are not. Almost all variations are there; men, women, children, elder, babies, black, white, Asian, Caucasian, and a whole lot more.

And what's making it special is all those people were captured smiling naturally.

As her eyes roam through the room, one specific picture caught her attention. It is the biggest frame hanged in the center of the room. It is a portrait of a woman who's wearing a white satin dress, or lingerie probably, Pie isn't sure herself. She smiled when she felt the positive aura of the image in front of her.

Her smile is genuine. She's beautiful. Did Kim take this photo?

Pie's smile faded.

And it's on her bed.

Pie heard the knob being unlocked. She ran out of the room immediately and saw Kim just got in.

"Hey," Pie greeted with her hands on her back.

"Hello —"

Kim couldn’t continue what she was about to say. Pie is standing in front of her, completely freshened up from the bath. Her brownish hair is still messy, yet it looks perfect on her. Pie is still wearing the denim shorts from yesterday but for whatever reason Kim's shirt looks so good on her.

Kim was so mesmerized right now that she can't even find the right words to describe what she's feeling. Her shirt is obviously bigger but she wonders how Pie managed to still look perfect in it.

Pie sensed that Kim is looking at the blouse she’s wearing. "Um... do you mind if I use this one?"

"No, no... You look gorgeous in it," Kim remarked, walking towards the table to hide her blushing face.

Pie bit her lip, feeling shy at the compliment.

"Come here, Pie, let's eat. I got us a ramen."

Pie squealed with joy upon hearing it. She went to the table immediately. "Really? You bought ramen?"

Kim smiled at Pie, nodding. "It's an authentic ramen."

"Wow! I've been craving this food since last week!"

Kim sat down in front of Pie. "Yeah, that's what you told me last night."

"I did?"

"Mmm. You specifically requested me to buy you a ramen." Kim squinted her eyes and puckered her lips out and said, "'Could you... buy me... a ramen tomorrow?'" She mimicked Pie's tone from last night.

"Eeeeeeiiii! I hate you!" Pie hit Kim's arm.

"Hehehe, you're so cute when you're drunk. Do you know that?"

Pie wasn't prepared for that.

"Do you remember anything else you said last night?" asked Kim.

"Like what?"

"You said Van's house doesn't look like a happy house."

Pie's jaw dropped. "I SAID THAT!"

"YES!" Kim laughed hard. She squinted her eyes again and pouted her lips before mimicking Pie's tone, "'It doesn't seem to look like a happy house to me...'"

"Uuuuggghhhh! I hate you, Kim!" Pie covered her face. "This is embarrassing!"

You even called me honey thrice, Kim thought, smiling to herself.

"What are you smiling at?"

"Nothing. C'mon, let's eat..." ...Honey.

---

After a while, a sound from the door caught Kim's attention. Someone was trying to unlock it. It's too late before she was able to consider doing anything about it because the door flew open, revealing the image behind it.

Kim stood up from the chair, her eyes bulging.

Seeing Kim’s reaction, Pie trailed the latter’s line of sight and noticed a person standing by the door.

Who is she? Wait, she looks familiar. No way! She's the girl in the —

"Hi there, Kimmy. Long time no see."