Late

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

The house is dark. No one can even tell that there is a person lying on the couch, not moving, lifeless it may seem, because she hasn't flinched a bit since she plopped herself down there.

The entire place is quite and the only thing she can hear is her own breathing.

I will make her forget you.

Pie closed her eyes tightly and rubbed the creases on her brow.

The conversation with Yam was cut short after Zee and Jane arrived. She couldn’t find an opportunity to talk to Kim after that until they went home.

I should be happy, right? I should be happy knowing that someone will be with her if I can't stand up for her. But why am I feeling so distressed now? Uuuughh...

It would've been easier if it's one sided, if she's the only one having these weird feelings. But this case is different now. Yam just told her what she has doubted all along: Kim is serious about her.

But what would she do now? She doesn't want to hurt Kim but she can't make a decision yet. She knows she can't pick Kim but at the same time she doesn't want to let her go either. Selfish it may seem, but it is the exact reason for her confusion now.

What's hurting her more is the fact that Kim obviously feels comfortable around Yam. Pie knows that if she won't make a move anytime soon, Yam will surely be able to replace her.

---

Pie is walking towards the lift when she spotted two familiar figures already waiting there. She smiled at the sight right away, knowing that the back she's looking at belongs to Kim. However, her smile faded as guilt strikes her again when she saw the crutch on Kim's right hand.

Zee noticed her. "Well, hello there, beautiful!"

"Oh, hello there, handsome," she greeted Zee back with her sweet smile. "Getting lost here this early, huh?"

"Best friend duties." Zee pointed at Kim. "Can't drive."

"Well, that's so sweet of you..." Pie turned to Kim this time and playfully nudged her to see if she'll be ignored or not. "Hey, good morning..."

Kim turned for a quick glance, forced a smile and said, "Morning..." She went back immediately to look at the floor signal.

Pie took it in her mental notepad. Kim didn’t completely ignore her but something’s still off.

"Where's your girlfriend?" Pie asked Zee instead.

"She went ahead of us. I had to pick this brat here first," said Zee, lightly punching Kim's arm, which the latter responded with a harder nudge. Zee laughed at it. "Well, since Pie's here, I better go ahead. Could you assist her for me, Pie?"

Pie unconsciously placed a hand on her chest, emotionally unprepared of being alone with Kim. "Y-yeah, sure..."

"Don't sweat it. I can handle myself," said Kim apathetically. She turned to Zee this time to give an arm punch. "And don't think of me as a weakling!"

Zee stepped backward to keep distance from the attacker who's seriously throwing her punches. "I better go now, Pie, before someone here bruises me."

Pie chuckled. "Okay, you take care."

Zee politely bowed at Pie first before she raised her thumbs to Kim. "Dude, I'll pick you up later, okay?"

"Yah, go already, will you," Kim snorted, pretending to be annoyed. She looked back at the floor signal as she taps the crutch on the floor.

Pie can't take the smile off her face. All the unpleasant feelings she had these past few days just vanished. It's just now that she admitted to herself that Kim's mere presence is giving her solace.

She lightly shook her head after realizing that Kim's unfaltering charm isn't affected by the crutch she's holding. Her hoodie and jeans perfectly matched her somewhat disarrayed hair — which Pie assumed that Kim had done when she absently scratched her head.

Pie hugged herself for a moment and looked away. If there's one thing she's thankful for getting to talk to Yam alone, it is finding about Kim's real feelings for her.

The lift door opened eventually. Kim managed to get in fast even though she's limping. Pie couldn't help but feel worried, hoping that she's the one taking care of Kim now.

They got off on their designated floor and Kim gave her a quick gesture before walking straight to her department. Based on her actions; the somewhat odd responses, the fake smiles, avoiding eye contacts, Pie knows that Kim is still hurting because of her. She sighed as she looks at Kim's back walking away from her.

I really should talk to her soon to clarify everything about last Friday.

Pie initially thought of buying lunch to save Kim from walking here and there; killing two birds with one stone. It's also the perfect chance to get to talk to her alone. Unfortunately, before Pie could even execute her plan, some of the fangirls had the same idea; they already bought Kim something. And according to Jane's observation, there were several visitors today.

Disappointed with the failure of her first plan, Pie decided to ride along with Zee and Kim in the afternoon. In that way, she could offer Kim help to her apartment where they can talk seriously. Mike is out until Friday, a perfect opportunity for Pie since her mom won't bug her to go out with him.

---

After seeing Kim pass by the hallway, Pie hurried to fix her stuff so she could follow right away. She knows that Kim will decline her offer if she'll ask for it straight.

"Wow, going home on the dot today, huh?" said Jane.

"Yeah, well— Aren't you going home with Zee?" asked Pie, noticing that Jane is still busy doing something.

"She'll pick me up later," said Jane, not taking her eyes off the computer. "She had an unexpected client meeting a while ago. She said it might be done in an hour."

Pie turned to look at the hallway door. What about Kim?

Noticing her friend's musing, Jane turned her chair around. "Why?"

"I, uh... nothing..." Pie bent down to cheek kiss Jane. "I better go now, mom's waiting for me."

"Okay. I'll see you tomorrow."

Don't tell me she's planning to go home alone? Will she ride a cab? I should go with her.

Pie is already striding towards the lobby, hoping that Kim isn't fast enough to get into the elevator quick.

"Kim!" Pie called out when she had a glimpse of Kim’s back. She felt hope when Kim turned around. However, her footsteps slowed down when she saw another figure beside Kim.

"Oh, hi there, Pie," said Yam, flashing her pearly white teeth.

"H-hey..." Pie footsteps came to a complete stop when she noticed Yam's arm looped into Kim's.

"Anything you need from me?" asked Kim.

"Huh?"

Noticing Pie's confusion, Kim chuckled. "You called me, right?"

Pie felt that something's not right. After their talk last Friday, this is the first time she'd seen Kim’s natural smile. Her eyes shifted to the lady beside who's clinging on Kim like there's no tomorrow.

Is it because of her?

"Pie?"

Pie snapped out of it after seeing Kim's hand waving before her face. "Uh... well... I was just checking if you have a ride home. Jane told me that Zee's too busy to pick you up..."

"Oh. Don't worry. That's why Yam came here. I asked her to drive me home."

"Well... that's... that's good..."

"I had to close my flower shop for a while just to pick you up here. You owe me another one, okay?" said Yam, playfully hitting Kim's arm.

"Ow!" said Kim, pretending to be hurt. "Okay, tell me how can I make it up to you?"

"Hmmm... why don't you go to my house first before I drive you home? Mom has cooked something for us."

That surely brought Kim excitement. "Really? That sounds great! I'd love to." Then she turned to Pie. "Are you going to be okay? He's picking you up, right?"

Not wanting to sound defeated, Pie nodded.

Yam tightened her hug on Kim's arm and said, "Great. So, we'll go ahead now, Pie. You take care, okay?"

"Have fun." Pie feigned smile. She watched the two happily walked towards the elevator, chuckling and nudging each other like kids.

Pie felt shortness in her breathing. Her heart started beating irregularly. Suddenly a wave of mixed emotions surged into her chest, pulling her heart down. The sight of the two making fun of each other is torturing to her.

Ding!

The lift door opened and they both waved her goodbye before going in. Pie just stood there, feeling weak. She brought a hand to her chest, remembering what Yam told her.

One month? She said one month, right?

It may seem impossible to do it that fast but Pie can't erase Kim's smile off her mind. What's troubling her is the fact that she knows that she's not the reason for those smiles. Pie went back staring lost at the elevator area.

Am I already late?