Admire

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Monday – February 12th

The office doesn't look the same now knowing that Kim isn't there. Pie did her usual routine even though it was hella boring the entire day.

On the other hand, people couldn't be more excited for the coming Valentine's Day. Their office is now fully decorated with cupids and hearts all over the place. Some colleagues are already struggling in finding a gift for their special someone. May even told Pie that she'll be preparing gifts for Dang and Kim. Pie didn't mind, she knows how Kim feels about May.

There are times she notices herself just looking at the graphics department's direction, maybe hoping that a certain person would walk out and smile at her.

Her eyes shifted to the wall clock and saw it's already 5:01 pm.

Sigh. Just two more days.

---

When Pie got home, she saw her mom in the kitchen preparing something.

"Hi, mom, it's a surprise that you're early today, huh," said Pie, giving her mom a quick kiss on the cheek.

"The meeting with the client was dismissed early so we decided to call it a day," said her mom, glancing over her quickly ang going back to chopping the vegetables.

Pie dropped her bag on the table and walked to the fridge to get some cold water. "Oh, that's good. Do you want to go out for shopping or something? Maybe unwind a little?"

"I don't think unwinding is a good idea now. We'll just be stuck in the pre-Valentine's Day traffic."

"I just thought you could, you know, relax for a bit. You're always busy with your work. Maybe we could eat dinner outside?"

"Let's do that next time, I'm already preparing our dinner, darling."

Pie leaned over the kitchen table and stared at her mom's back while swirling the glass in her hand. Since her dad passed away her mom had busied herself over work. Their loss was hard for both of them but Pie knew it was harder for her mom. They even had to move out from their previous house because her mom wasn't really recovering at all.

Despite the business and the grieving, her mom never failed to be a mother to Pie. She grew up having a mom and a best friend at the same time. But there are times she wonders if her mom is happy. She won't mind if her mom would remarry someday, she'd love that, at least someone would take care of her in a way that Pie can't provide.

But just looking at her mom now Pie knows it's impossible. Her mom never forgot her dad. There were suitors who came in and tried but it didn't work out. She knows that her mom still lingers in her dad's memory. There are nights that she still sees her mom talking to her dad's picture.

"Mom?"

"Hmm?"

"Don't you ever want to have a boyfriend again?"

Her mom stopped chopping. "What kind of question is that?"

"I'm just curious." Pie shrugged. "I won't mind, just so you know. I just want you to be happy again."

Her mom put down the knife and turned to her with a wry smile. "Why, are you getting married and planning to leave me soon?"

"Nope. I just want you to have a boyfriend. That's all. Period."

"And why do you want me to have a boyfriend all of a sudden? Do you have one already?"

"Urgh, we're talking about you here, mom." Pie suddenly got defensive. She's afraid that this conversation may lead to prying more about her love life. "And I'm still single, okay?"

The older woman folded her arms across her chest and stared at her daughter with skeptical eyes.

"What?" asked Pie, feeling conscious about it.

"You may not say it but I've been noticing something different about you lately."

Pie swallowed something in . "Noticing what?"

"Just slight changes: frequent humming, eagerness to go to the office, constantly looking at your phone, plus your mood has been oddly light lately." The older woman tapped a finger on her chin. "Is my daughter, by any chance, finally in love?"

Pie felt uneasy with the question. She had to look away. "I told you, mom, I'm single..."

"I know, but being single doesn't mean you're not in love with someone, right?"

"I'm not, mom, okay? Don't worry; you'll be the first person to know about it just in case I fall in love soon," said Pie, brushing stray of hairs from her face in an attempt to cover up possible blushing.

"If you say so. I'm just here anytime you're ready to tell me about it..."

Her mom turned back to the veggies. Pie took it as an opportunity to escape to her room right away.

---

Sigh...

Pie plopped herself on the bed, wrinkled her nose and massaged her temples with her palms. She had been fidgeting the entire conversation because the only person who popped into her head when her mom threw that million-dollar question was Kim.

. This can't be...

There's no use in denying it anymore. At some point, somehow, yes, she's attracted to Kim, but she isn't sure if it's love or not. She never really had liked someone so bad before so there's no point of comparison. Plus, she's still seeing her feelings for Kim as momentary admiration, considering that Kim has the same effect on most of the girls.

Pie pulled out her wallet and chuckled at the sight of their picture from the horror house. It was when she realized how much she's missing Kim now. It's only been two days since she last saw her but it feels like they haven't talked in ages. She ran a finger across the picture.

Sigh...

Forgive me for being dense about this because this is all new to me. But if you were to judge what I'm feeling now, what would you say?

Pie dropped her hands to her side and closed her eyes after another loud sigh.

Tell me, Kim, am I already in love with you?