Truth

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Ever felt like dying to know about something but too afraid to ask because the answer might be the opposite of what you want to hear?

Pie felt like a bullet hit her, digging a hole in her chest. Her worst fears had come true.

I did, Pie. I did.

Nam's words continuously reverberated in her head. Her eyes were staring blankly at Nam. What would happen to her now if Nam wants Kim back? Does she have the right to say no?

This is the first time in her life she felt something like this. However, she's not sure how to define it. Is she afraid? Worried? Anxious? Jealous? What is clear to her is she felt alone, and no one can help her get up, no one but Kim.

"She was my first love, Pie," Nam continued, her eyes on the floor. "Unfortunately, she was dumb enough to recognize it."

It took Pie few more seconds before she even thought of saying something, "Was that... was that the reason you left…?"

"Mmm... partly, yes..." Nam nodded. "I don't see hope in us. I don't even think she feels the same way for me. So, when the opportunity for my dream career came knocking at my door I took it right away, without hesitation."

"But... but she... she loved you..." Pie found it hard to say those words.

"She could've, but I'm not sure." Nam shrugged. "She cared for me — yes — but I know it was never like what I felt for her."

"How can you say so?"

"Because I've felt it. And when you came into the picture, I saw the proof that I was right."

"What do you mean?"

Nam smiled wearily. "Kim never looked at me the way she looks at you, Pie."

Pie was frozen from where she's sitting. She's wondering how in the world Nam can see such things when in fact they are only pretending.

"Which reminds me that I should apologize for my behavior towards you," said Nam, rubbing a hand on her left arm. "I know I've done something to offend you. I'm so sorry."

"Were you... jealous of me?"

Nam chuckled at that. "I don't know if it's jealousy. My pride just can't accept the fact that Kim took the courage to be with you when you've only known each other for five months. I've been with her for four years and she never did that."

Pie brought a hand to her lips. She felt guilty again because what Nam believes about their relationship is just a big lie.

"She loves you, Pie. I can see it in her.”

Pie is just speechless, unsure how Nam can see such things.

"There are a lot of things that Kim had never done to me before that she's doing to you now," said Nam. "That couple necklace, that henna tattoo. Kim was also never a fan of saying 'I love you' before but just a while ago she told me that she's in love with you."

Ah, really?

Surprisingly Pie didn't feel awkward about it. In fact, she thought it was sweet. She knows though that Kim did it as part of the script.

"How did she tell you that?"

"Well, she actually said it to me because she thought I was you," said Nam. "I was about to leave your room when she grabbed my wrist and called me 'Pie'."

"And then?"

"Her words were very slurred though, but I think she said 'I'm in love with you, Pie.'"

Pie turned to Kim with a gapped mouth.

She told me earlier that there is something important she wants to tell me, could it be that?

She closed her eyes and knitted her eyebrows for a second.

Why are you thinking that way, Pie? Maybe she said that because she wants to drive Nam away!

"Kim can be really sweet at times. That's what I like about her," Nam added.

"Yeah," Pie agreed. Her mind is still lingering on what Nam had told her. Whatever the reason might be, she is relieved to know that Kim is still sticking to the plan even though she's wasted. "Do you still love her?"

"There's no doubt that I love Shone with all my heart..." Nam paused for a second to take in some air, "but I think I need to talk to Kim about this, about us."

Pie felt nervous at that.

"The reason I wanted Kim to come here is because I want to talk to her. I should've done this earlier but I can't find time for it. The last time I had was when I saw you two in her apartment. The moment I saw you, I knew it, Pie, I knew there's something going on between the two of you, and so I left right away."

"But we're not yet together that time yet."

"Yeah, I believe you." Nam nodded. "It's just that you two look good together. I was right. See? You're an adorable couple now."

Pie felt shy and guilty at the same time. She had to break her eyes from Nam's.

"I'd like to ask for your... permission..." Nam said hesitantly. "Shone will have a photo shoot tomorrow morning until noon. I think that's the perfect time for Kim and me to talk…. Only if you'll allow it..."

Pie glanced at Kim one more time. She knows that she has no right to hinder this talk. In fact, this is the main reason they went there.

"Don't worry, I won't snatch her from you," said Nam, letting out a soft chuckle. "Kim loves you, okay? I just want to straighten things with her. I can see it in her. She's troubled as much as I am. We really need to settle things up for ourselves."

Pie took a deep breath. "Okay, I'll leave you two alone tomorrow."

Nam couldn't control herself this time. She came close to Pie, bent over to give her a hug. "Thanks, Pie. Thank you."

Pie couldn't react anymore. She felt Nam's eagerness to have this talk. She rubbed Nam's back with a hand to acknowledge her sincerity.

It's all up to you now, Kim.

---

"Pie!" Kim called. There was an excitement in her voice. She saw Pie sitting on the rooftop bench of her apartment.

Pie turned around having that usual sweet smile on her face. "Kim..."

"Have you been waiting long?"

"Not really, I just got here." Pie pats on the chair. "Don't just stand there."

"Ah, yeah..." Kim sat down next to Pie. "Um... hey..."

"Yes?"

"I-uh... I have a confession to make."

"Really? What is it?"

"Well, for a quite a while now, um..."

Pie's eyes were smiling. "C'mon, don't be shy, tell me."

"I, uh..." Kim bit her lower lip first. "I... I've loved you for quite a while now..."

Pie had an unequivocally glad face. "Really?"

"Yeah." Kim held Pie's hands with hers. "Are you feeling the same way for me?"

That question drained Pie's excitement. "Uh... Kim..."

"W-what's the matter?"

"I... I can't..."

"Huh?"

"This isn't right, Kim."

"Uh..."

"Pie, what's the meaning of this?" an unfamiliar female voice spoke.

Pie's eyes widened when she saw the image behind Kim. She pulled her hands away from Kim's grip. "M-mom?"

Kim turned around a saw a silhouette figure of a woman whose face is blurred. The sweet mood in the air had vanished. She knows that Pie's mom isn't fond of people like her: a homoual.

"This is unacceptable, Pie!" the woman screamed.

"Mom..." Pie stood up from the bench and walked towards the woman. "Please don't do this..."

"I did not raise you to be with someone like her!" The woman pointed a finger at Kim. "How are you going to have children?"

"Mom, please, I beg you..."

"No! I want you to marry a guy, Pie, not a guy-wanna-be."

Although the woman's face is blurred, Kim knew that Pie's mom was glaring at her. Not too long another figure came out from nowhere. This time the silhouette depicts a tall man.

In just a snap, Kim noticed that she's already standing on the edge of the building. She's like 250ft above ground. She saw the tiny cars moving below. The wind is blowing so strong that she'd have to struggle and maintain her balance for her not to fall.

"This is what's right for Pie," said the woman, showing Kim her worst nightmare.

The man, with the blurred face like Pie's mom, didn't say anything. He gave Kim a scrutinizing look as he puts his arms around Pie's shoulders.

"There's no way I'll allow my daughter to be with you," said the woman who turned her back on Kim.

Swoooosh!

A strong blow of the wind hit Kim, making her lose her balance. No matter how hard she'd try not to fall, the wind just keeps on pushing her. After a short struggle, the wind won and Kim fell off.

Nooooo...

She then had a last glimpse of Pie's crying face before everything went blank for her.

---

Kim forcefully opened her eyes. She breathes a sigh of relief with her face in her hands after realizing that she's back to reality.

Thank goodness it was just a dream...

She rolled her eyes after and caught a glimpse of the balcony door.

It seems gloomy outside. I wonder what time is it now.

She turned her head aside and found nothing but the pillows.

Huh? Where could Pie be?

Kim tried to get up but her headache started to pound. She let herself fall back heavily on the bed, massaging her own scalp with her fingers.

Argh! Damn hangover!

"Hey, you're up..."

Kim turned to the familiar voice from the door entrance. She was alarmed when she realized that it's not the voice she's expecting to greet her.

"Nam?"

"Yup, it's me, Kimmy." Nam walked towards the bed.

Although it was a real challenge for her to get up the first time, Kim managed to do it now without much effort due to panic.

"Is this your room? What am I doing here?"

Nam chuckled as she sat on the bed. "Relax, Kim. Relax. This is still your room. And what's with that look? We did not sleep together, okay?"

"Oh, sorry," said Kim, scratching her head. Her eyes scanned the area. "W-where's Pie?"

Nam let out a loud sigh as her face becomes gloomy. She looked like she's going to say some bad news.

"Where's Pie, Nammy?" Kim asked again, more worried this time.

"She... she left Kim..."

"What!"

Is it because I confessed to her? Wait, did I even confess to her? Aaaargh! I can't remember!

Nam burst out laughing after seeing Kim's face. "I'm just kidding!" She messed up Kim's hair with both her hands. "Don't worry, Kimmy, she just went outside. You worry too much."

"Ah, yeah, well..." Kim relaxed again after hearing that. "What is she doing out?"

"She went out to leave us alone now."

"What do you mean?"

"She allowed us to have our talk."

Kim felt confused. She has no idea what happened last night. Everything is still blurred after she got drunk. Just imagine what she's feeling now waking up to this scenario.

Nam glanced at her wristwatch. "It's only 7:30 am, and since you're supposed to check out 12:30 pm, I still have max until 10:30 am to talk to you."

"I don't think I'm physically prepared for this talk, Nammy. I'm not really myself at the moment. I can't even remember a thing that happened last night," said Kim, brushing her hands on her scalp. After having that dream, all she ever wanted is to see Pie now.

"I'm afraid there's no other time, Kim."

"Why?"

"Shone and I are going back to Singapore after a week."

Kim's eyes widened. The same old feeling when Nam left came rushing to her suddenly. "You're... going back…?"

Nam nodded. "It isn't going to be yearlong like the last time, it might be for a month or two only, but yeah, we're going back there for some projects."

Kim brought her hands again to her head. Everything is just coming to her all at once. Her hangover is killing her, her mind is worrying what's going on with Pie, and now she feels upset again that Nam isn't going to stay for good.

"Suddenly out of my life, suddenly coming back, and now you're leaving again?"

"Kim..." Nam held both Kim's hands with hers. They met eyes. Nam brought her hand to Kim's cheek and leaned closer to press their foreheads together. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

This is the first time she felt that her Nammy has finally come home. Kim closed both her eyes and whispered, "What are you apologizing for?"

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry for running away from you..."

"It's okay, Nam. Don't worry about it." Kim pulled herself back. "You've done the right thing. That's your dream, right? I've no right to ask you to stay because you're future depends on that opportunity. I never thought I'd say this, Nammy, but I'm glad you took it."

"No... you don't get it..."

"I don't get what?"

"I took that opportunity because I literally want to run away from you..."

"What? W-why?"

"Because I can't accept it, Kim," Nam whispered, gazing downwards for a moment, "I can't accept that I've totally fallen for you."

---

It was a windy morning at the beach and people weren't in the mood for a swim. The sea waves are stronger than the usual. Pie is feeling the cold wind with her right hand raised mid-air. She looked up and saw the dark-gray clouds forming just above the resort.

"It's gonna rain soon," a woman said out of the blue.

Pie knew that the voice was talking to her. She diverted her attention to it and saw the tattooed woman from yesterday. She faked a smile. "Hey."

"What's up? Where's cutie?" The woman lit up a cigarette.

Although this person was kinda flirty the first time they met — which had irritated her — Pie knew she needs to be nice for today because she could really use someone to talk to. "She's... in our room."

"You had a fight?" the woman asked, blowing smoke opposite to Pie's direction.

Pie shook her head while tucking a stray hair behind her ears to keep her hair from getting messed up by the strong blow of the wind.

"You didn't fight? But there's something wrong with you guys, right?"

Pie is not sure how to answer it. "How can you say so?"

The woman sniggered and gave Pie a suspicious look. "Well, it's all over your face, miss."

It is only just now, when the tattooed girl pointed it out, that Pie admitted to herself that she's not okay. "H-how do I look to you?"

"You look worried to me."

Pie threw her gaze at the vast sea.

Worried? Maybe.

She's not sure herself why she feels that way. After her conversation with Nam last night, the idea of Nam and Kim talking alone has been bothering her continuously. She doesn't know why she feels like she's betraying herself for offering their room to Nam. It's like the cells in her body are telling her that she made the wrong decision.

"Lemme guess, there is someone, right?" said the tattooed woman.

"Huh?" Pie turned her head quickly to the woman beside her, wondering how the woman knew that.

The woman smiled when she saw Pie's surprised face. "Gotcha!"

"Oh." Pie rubs a finger on her ear, feeling embarrassed. "Maybe you could say that."

"To be honest, I didn't think cutie is a womanizer. She looks kind and faithful to me, y'know..."

"It's not really like that," Pie clarified. She doesn't want Kim to have a negative image. "She's not a cheater, don't worry."

"Hmm, not a cheater? So, what's the issue?"

Pie isn't sure if it's still okay to pretend, but she thought that there's no point if she's going to tell the tattooed girl about the real deal between her and Kim. "Well, someone from her past has come back to her life."

"Ahhh, I see. You're jealous, huh?"

Pie swallowed a lump in . She finds it hard to answer the question.

"Ex-girlfriends are really a pain in the , y'know, especially if they stayed long together before. It's like you're trying to get in this little space," the woman said, forming her hand to a circle, "that the ex had already occupied before."

"What if," Pie hesitated first, "what if they were never official?"

The tattooed woman looked confused. "You mean like pseudo-relationship?"

Pie nodded. "Yeah, and they were like that for four years."

"Gosh, that was long. It's even more complicated than I thought." The woman folded her arms over her chest, raising her hand with the cigar mid-air. "The problem with that setup is they were never official. And because of that, they never also had an official breakup. I can imagine how complicated things are between the three of you now."

"What should I do then?" Pie can't believe she's asking what she just said.

The woman chuckled. "Why are you worried? You're the girlfriend, right? Don't tell me you're not sure of cutie's feelings for you?"

"I don't know," said Pie, keeping her head down. We're not even really together. "They've been together for four years and I'm just a girl she met five months ago."

The tattooed girl shook her head. "Tsss.... The fact that she chose to be in a relationship with you means you mean more to her than that old friend of hers. You should talk to her. She needs you now more than ever."

"Why?"

"If cutie will get confused that's normal because nostalgic feelings will come back for sure. What you need to do is help her realize that she's made the right decision to be with you. Everything that had happened before is now part of the past."

Pie stared blankly at the sea. "What if... what if she's not really over her ex yet?"

"You two should talk about it," said the woman, blowing smoke again. "Remind her of the reason why she took the courage to be with you, which she had not done to her ex even they were together for quite long. Both of you should do your part to make it through this." The woman pointed a finger at Pie's hand and said, "Remember, that henna tattoo won't be completed without it's another half."

Pie smiled as she stares at her right hand.

"Okay, my short break's over. I gotta go back to work now." The woman threw the cigarette bud in the outdoor ashtray. "It's going to rain soon. You should go back to your room now. Besides it is important that you guys talk."

"I will. Thanks." Pie nodded and watched the woman walk back to the tattoo shop.

The cold wind blew again, this time with moist in the air. It'll be probably raining any moment now. Pie inhaled the sea breeze as she contemplates on what the woman told her. She held her right hand and run a finger on the butterfly design. She shifted her gaze and stared blankly at the beach.

Tsk. What have you done to me, Kim?