Interns

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

After two more weeks, February has finally arrived. Their office is now filled with heart and cupid designs hanging from the main door entrance, the walls, and some on the ceiling.

"What are you girls bringing on the 14th?" asked Puey, cutting his cupid as neatly as he can. Jane and Pie are helping him design their bays.

"Of course, chocolates," said Jane, dropping her scissor on her table to take a look at the finished cupid she'd made.

"Chocolates? Whom are you gonna give it to?" asked Puey. "To be honest, there are no guys here worthy of chocolates except for Van."

"You have a point, Puey. But I will still give chocolates to all my male friends here in the office, especially you..." said Jane, giving Puey a seductive look.

"Ew, Jane! Gross! I wouldn't do that to you! Yuck!"

"What do you want me to give to you then, flowers? That would be awkward,” said Jane, laughing.

"No need, Jane. My Valentine’s is warm this year. I have a boyfriend who will buy me flowers for that day," said Puey proudly.

"Well, FYI, my I'm no single myself so I wouldn't be lonely too."

Jane and Puey then realized that there's still another person in the area who's listening to them while busy cutting her cupid.

"What?" Pie stopped cutting when she felt that Jane and Puey were looking at her.

"You still don't have a boyfriend, Pie, do you?" asked Puey, dragging his swivel chair closer to Pie.

"Nope. Is there a problem with that?" asked Pie.

"Mmm, no, but I'm a bit worried about you, sweetie."

"I'm not lonely, Puey, if that's what you want to know."

"Why are you still single anyway?"

Pie sighed. This is the time of the year when everyone is always asking her about her status. "It's my choice."

"We're just wondering," said Puey, glancing at Jane quickly and going back to Pie, "I've known you for more than two years now and you never had a date in any of those Valentine’s before."

"Puey, you know Pie isn't the type of person who'll say yes to any suitor, right? It’s not like no one has invited her," said Jane.

"I'm just curious, why is it that none of your past suitors were good enough for you?" asked Puey.

"I just haven't found the right one yet, Puey. I don't want to rush into things," said Pie, going back to to cutting her cupid.

"What if the right one had already passed but you missed your chance because you're too naïve?"

Pie dropped her hands on her lap. "Naïve? I don't think so."

"Or what if the right one is already there but you just won't admit it to yourself?" Jane butted, reminding Pie of the conversation they had last time.

Puey turned to Jane, surprised. "Wow! Is it true, Jane? There is someone special?"

Pie shot Jane a death glare while Puey wasn't looking.

"It's nothing, Puey. I was just teasing her,” said Jane, getting the message. "By the way, who do you think is gonna get the most chocolates and flowers this time?"

"For the girls, I'd still root for Pie," Puey answered immediately. “Everyone knows she’s still single, that adds up to the excitement.”

"Why are you two talking like it’s some kind of competition?” asked Pie. “It doesn’t matter who gets more. It’s all about expression of care or appreciation towards another, right?”

"Point taken. But you have to admit, girl, you got quite a lot of attention last year," said Puey.

"Yeah, her secret admirers are suddenly popping out of nowhere during Valentine's. I think she got the most flowers last year," said Jane, looking up at the ceiling to mentally count the flowers Pie got.

"I got few flowers, okay? But it's not as many as you were saying. You guys are exaggerating," said Pie, hissing.

"How 'bout the chocolates, who do you think will received the most?" Puey asked them. "Last year, if I'm correct, Van got like 15 chocolate bars on his table when he came."

"And 4 of them were yours, right?" said Jane.

Puey raised both his hands, palms opened. "I'm over him, Jane. I'm so over him. I'm not giving chocolates to anyone now except my love."

"Besides, I think the one that will get the most chocolates today is not a man," said Jane, making Puey and Pie look at her. She nudged her lips towards the hallway where two people passing by. Kim and Nerd were walking, holding their tumbler in their hands.

"Ooh. I must admit, that Kim had really shaken this office when she came. A lot of ovaries had exploded," said Puey.

"Well, I'm preparing something for her too," said Jane, wiggling her chair.

Puey turned his chair to face Jane. "Yah! You're a cheater, Jane!"

"Why is it cheating? Kim is just my friend!"

Pie was not in the mood to listen to the two arguing. She is busy watching Kim and Nerd. It looks like they were talking about something funny. Kim's eyes seemed smiling and Nerd is surprisingly smiling too.

She's wearing that cap again.

Pie followed the two with her eyes until they entered the pantry. After the pantry door latched, she raised the cupid design she’s been cutting to observe it. Then she smiled.

---

"Good morning, Ms. Mindara!"

Pie was writing something on her notebook when the HR personnel, whom she always forgets the name, called her.

"Hey. How may I help you… um… wait, who are these lovely people?” Pie noticed two new faces along with the HR personnel.

The lady personnel held the two people by their shoulders. "They are our new interns. I'd like you to meet May," she said, gesturing to the petite girl on her left. She then turned to the man on her right and said, "And this is Dang. They'd be staying with us for one month."

They greeted each other with a wai.

"I'll leave May on your hands, Pie. She'll be assigned to your team."

Pie tapped May on her shoulder. "So, where is he supposed to be?"

"I'm gonna bring him to Van's team."

"Oh, graphics..." said Pie, glancing on the entrance of that department.

"We'll go ahead now. Take care of May, okay?"

Pie smiled, showing a thumb up. She turned to the newest member of her team. "So... where should I put you?" Her eyes wandered to the nearest bays. The only available terminal is beside her. "I guess you could take that seat."

"Thank you, Ms. Pie." May gestured a bow and walked towards the table.

---

Pie is thankful that May is a fast learner. Aside from the pretty petite image she has, her attitude is also satisfactory.

As the days goes by, Pie has been noticing how Dang keep on appearing around their area literally every hour, just to say hi and talk to May quick. These new interns always arrive at the office together, eat lunch together, and go home together. This gave Pie an impression that something special going on with them.

It was a little past five in the afternoon when Pie noticed that Dang is roaming around their area again, obviously waiting for May. He couldn’t come near because Pie is still teaching May something. He just signaled May something, animatedly telling her that he'll be waiting in the lobby. May nodded.

"What a clingy boyfriend you have there, dear," said Pie, admiring the sweetness of the two.

"You meant Dang, miss?" asked May, confused.

"Yeah, who else? He's your boyfriend, right?"

May immediately shook her head. "No, we're not together..."

"What?"

"We're just friends, Ms. Pie..."

"Friends? How come you guys are always together?"

"Dang and I practically grew up together. He lives few blocks from our house. We were classmates since elementary. We even went to the same university. He's like a brother to me," May asserted.

Pie blinked at that. "I just thought that you two are.... Well, never mind."

"We get that a lot, Ms. Pie. It's not new."

"It's because you two seemed inseparable."

"Dang is just so protective of me. He doesn't have a sister."

"Do you think he likes you?" asked Pie, getting more interested this time.

"I don't know. But he's in love with another girl right now, so us is really impossible, miss."

"Wooo, so you're crushing on him?"

"No, Ms. Pie,” said May, shaking her head. "He's really just like a big brother to me. Besides, he's not really my type."

"What is your type then?"

"Boo!"

Before May could answer, Kim suddenly popped out in front of Pie's terminal, like she crawled silently to surprise them. The two girls were startled and couldn’t move for few seconds.

"Hey, it's already five o'clock. Stop that and go home now," said Kim, tapping her hands in a drumbeat.

Pie felt something rushing down her chest. It's been more than two weeks now since they've actually talked. And with talk, she meant being alone with Kim. Although she feels the urge to stay close, she has been trying to act normal around Kim lately to stop Jane from getting suspicious again.

But the smell of Kim's cologne made Pie realize how she missed that scent. Pie got used to smelling it because of the act they did. The cologne itself does not captivate her. What she loves about it is the way it smells when it's mixed with Kim's body fragrance. That's one of the reasons she enjoyed snuggling with Kim, the scent is too irresistible for her.

"We're just wrapping up. You're going home now?" said Pie.

"Yeah."

“Then why are you still here?” asked Pie, regretting it the last minute. She should’ve use the “nice card” for now because she’s missing Kim.

Kim scratched her nape. "Uh, well... I just... I just happen to pass by the area and noticed that you two are still here. You don't want to force the interns to render overtime, do you?"

Pie rolled her eyes quick, thinking that Kim doesn’t feel the same way. "We're about to go home in a while."

"By the way, I haven't formally introduced myself yet. Hi, I'm Kim." Kim stretched her arm out to May.

May hesitated to give her hand but eventually gave in. "I… I'm May..."

"Ahh, so you're 'the May', Dang's May?" said Kim, looking surprised.

May shook her head right away. "No. We're not really together. Dang is like a brother to me."

"Huh? Really?" Kim scratched her head. "Well, Dang keeps on talking about you, you know. I thought you're his girlfriend."

"I don't have a boyfriend right now..." May shyly admitted.

Kim flashed out her lopsided smile, leaning closer to May. "Are you looking for one?"

Pie was observing how May would react to Kim’s killer smile. She's not sure but she thinks May blushed a little.

"What about Dang then? Don't you like him?" Kim followed up, pulling her body back.

"Oh, Kim, stop that. She's about to go home with Dang now so stop interrogating her, okay?" said Pie.

Kim pretends to froze, saying, "Yes, boss." Then she covered when she realized what she said. Good thing Jane wasn't around anymore.

Pie chuckled after seeing Kim's reaction, which looked so cute by the way.

Kim fixed her bag on her shoulder. "I better go now, girls. I still have tennis practice. I'll see you tomorrow, Pie."

"Take care, Kim," said Pie, feeling a little disappointed because Kim didn’t ask her out.

"You too."

Pie felt her heartbeat rose when Kim patted her head before leaving the area. She missed being treated like that, like a princess. The two girls followed Kim with their eyes until she's gone from their sight.

"So, where are we again?" Pie tried to compose herself so it won't be too obvious that she's been totally distracted. "Ahh, yeah, we were talking about guys. What's your type of guy then?"

May was spacing out and was not in herself yet. Pie had to nudge her slightly before she was able to say anything.

"Kim..." May mumbled under her breath.

"Huh?" Pie heard it but she's not sure what it meant.

"Kim..." said May her eyes staring at nothing, "she's totally my type."

 

In case you're wondering, May and Dang were the lead characters in "Hello Stranger" Thai film released on 2010 (the same year with Yes or No & Crazy Little Things Called Love).