Couple

HERSHE (TIAOM)

  

 

"Yup, I'm already here in the office," Kim confirmed after putting her headsets on. She pushed the car door closed and enabled the alarm.

"Somebody's too early for the office today, huh. It's only 7:17 on my watch."

"I know, but my body was up early, Yam. I don't even know why." Kim continued walking towards the exit of the parking lot.

"Psshh…. You're just excited to see her."

"I guess I am." Kim giggled. She feels lucky to find someone whom she can confide everything about Pie. It's easier for her to tell Yam about it since they don't have common friends. The last thing she wants to happen is for Pie to find out about her true feelings.

"Do you think she'll like your new hairstyle?"

"I don't know," said Kim, fixing the cap on her head. "I'm just afraid that she won't talk to me if I won't do what she says."

"Oh, c'mon, Kim. She's not serious about that, trust me."

Kim had her hair trimmed shorter but not as short like Zee's cut. She still has her bangs on and her ears are still partially covered by sideburns.

"I just hope you're right. Anyway, it doesn't matter if she had requested this or not, I really like my hair this way."

"Besides, it's a good way to start the year, right? I can't wait to see you, Kim. I wonder how you look now."

"Don't worry. I'll visit you one of these days,” said Kim, stepping into the elevator. She pressed 17 on the floor panel.

"I hope you'll bring along a friend of yours when you do that."

"Haha! I can't promise you that but I'll try."

"I want you to observe her reaction when she sees you, okay? Describe it to me."

"Is that really necessary?" asked Kim, gazing up at the floor signal.

B2...

B1...

1...

The elevator stopped on the first floor. Kim moved aside to give space to anyone who's about to enter.

"It's for your own benefit, Kim. If you could relay her exact reaction to me I can give you a hint of her thoughts."

Kim was still smiling ear to ear when the door swung open. Her smile faded when she saw the person behind the door. Their eyes met for a second, turning away immediately after.

The person was wearing a white blouse with a black ribbon lace, partnered with a black skirt. Kim was so mesmerized that she had to shift her eyes away because she's feeling conscious. The person, on the other hand, was obviously also shocked to see Kim in the elevator.

The person stayed in Kim's opposite direction. The awkwardness filled the area. Isn't it weird how an elevator with a capacity of 15 or more people can be too crowded for its two passengers right now?

"Kim? Are you still there?"

Kim didn't realize that she had forgotten about Yam. "Yeah, I'm sorry. The line was jammed."

"Can you hear me now?"

"Yup, loud and clear."

"Can you give me Pie's full name? I'll try to search her on social media. I'm really curious about her looks."

"Ummm, Yam, I can't do that."

"Huh? Why? I'm just asking for a name."

"Exactly, I can't give it now."

"And why is that?"

Kim took a deep breath and looked around the elevator, trying to avoid eye contact with her fellow passenger.

"Here."

"Huh?"

"I said, HERE."

"Who's there?"

"My friend."

"Your friend? Who?" Then Yam finally got it. "What, Pie is in the elevator with you?"

"Exactly, Yam. Bravo." Kim looked around to check Pie's reflection on the mirrored wall, thinking if the latter can hear the conversation even if she’s on headset.

"Oh, really? Are you two alone there?"

"Yup." And this is awkward.

"Then why don't you grab her and kiss her?"

"Agh! You're crazy, Yam, crazy!" A sudden emotion rush through her chest made Kim react so hard.

"I'm just kidding. You're overreacting. Haha! Why do I have the feeling that you're already blushing?"

Kim had no chance to defend herself, and yes, she's blushing. She leaned herself on the wall, defeated. "Oh, Yam..."

"How does she look today?"

"Stunning. Beautiful. Always. What's new?"

"Is she looking at you now?"

"Mmm. I don't think so."

"So, what was her initial reaction when she saw you?"

Kim brought a hand to her face to somehow cover the feeling of being exposed. "I didn't get much of it, but we're both surprised."

"Then why don't you talk to her now, greet her."

"Ugh, I can't, Yam."

"You're friends, right? You don't need a reason to greet each other."

"I know, but... I'm shy..."

"Ugh, you're slow, Kim. How about her, did she greet you?"

"No. I told you — surprised, right?"

"Not even a gesture to say 'hey'?"

"I'm not sure, Yam. Even if she did, I wouldn't have noticed it because I was... you know..." Kim's eyes wandered around. But just like a metal that's always being pulled by the magnet, she can't help but look at Pie from time to time. She turned away immediately when she saw Pie's face on the mirrored wall.

Ugh. Why do you have to be so beautiful?

"Okay, I guess I have to exit the scene now."

"Huh? Why?"

"You can't make a move if you're talking to me now."

"Do I really have to make a move now?"

Kim realized that she said it aloud. Her initial gesture was to check on Pie's reaction. To her surprise, Pie was already looking at her. Their eyes met through the mirror reflection.

"Just enjoy your day, okay? Call me or I'll call you soon, I gotta go. Good luck!"

Yam hung up the phone immediately.

Oh, Yam.

Kim felt nervous. The elevator is currently on the 10th floor and Pie and she are on the expressway straight to the 17th floor because there are no people yet that early.

Kim removed her headset to somehow inform Pie that she's over with her phone conversation. "Hey..." she called.

Pie's lips lined a smile when she turned. "Hi, Kim..."

Kim almost melted. "You're early, huh?"

"Yeah, I woke up early today..."

Kim nods before saying, "Me too."

There was a moment of silence. Kim wanted to say she missed Pie however she’s not sure how the latter would take it.

"So, you..." there was a bit of shyness in Pie's tone, "you got a haircut."

Kim felt shy and scratched the back of her neck. "Yeah... well... the boss asked me to..."

Pie laughed softly. "Your boss is a bit demanding, huh?"

"Slight. But what can I do, that's her command."

"What a difficult boss you have there."

"Oh, I'm glad you mentioned it. Yeah, she's difficult."

Pie giggled again.

"Do you think the boss will like it?" asked Kim.

Before Pie gets the chance to even start saying something, the elevator door opened. Pie went out first and Kim followed her.

Kim was a bit disappointed to see Pie walk directly to her station. Kim walked straight to her department too. She isn't sure if Pie is in the mood for talk now.

"Kim..."

Kim was a bit far already when she heard the call. She turned around and saw the petite lady still standing in front of her terminal.

"Could you take off your hat for a sec?" Pie asked. Without having any idea why, Kim obeyed. Pie folded her arms while observing her. "Hmmm, I don't think your boss will like your hair now..."

Kim dropped her gaze at the cap in her hand, feeling nervous.

Seeing Kim's expression drew a smile on Pie's face. "But I'm pretty sure she'll love it."

That immediately brought a wide smile on Kim's face. She shook the cap up and down while her eyes were darting around the area.

She turned her eyes back to Pie and put her cap back. She waved her hand as she turned around to walk towards her department. She was so happy that she felt like humming her way there.

YES!!! She loves it! She loves it! Weeee!

Pie can't get the smile off her face either. She couldn’t believe that Kim did that for her.

Although a cap was worn, there's no way Pie won't notice the difference in Kim's hair because she'd somehow memorized the latter's physical appearance.

She was surprised to see Kim earlier because of two reasons: first, she was not really expecting Kim to do her request, considering that Nam wanted it longer; second, she's caught unguarded because Kim was undeniably irresistible and more striking with her new hairstyle.

That thought froze Pie. She glanced at the graphics department's direction, remembering the conversation she had with Meena last week.

But then, she immediately dismissed the idea. It’s impossible. She knows how it feels to have a crush, to like someone. And what she felt with Mike before is different than what she’s feeling for Kim. Kim could be just a close friend, a special friend who happens to be really handsome with her new haircut.

Kling!

Pie smiled when she heard the chat message notification. There's nobody else in the office yet except for the two of them. She surely knows whom the chat came from.

"Hey, boss, it's still early. Want to grab coffee downstairs?"

Pie smiled at the new endearment and replied, "Yeah, sure. Pick me up here whenever you're ready."

---

Friday

As Pie had expected, the fangirls went crazier this time. fanclub.Pie was not sure anymore if pushing Kim to get a haircut is a good idea or not. A lot of them were visiting the graphics department lately. And according to Jane, there were even new recruits in Kim’s

It already past five o'clock in the afternoon and most people are excited to go home for the weekend. Pie is still in her terminal doing some minor work. She’s already done for the day however she was hoping that Kim or Jane will ask her to go out again for a little party like last time.

Ever since that night happened, Pie's weekends started to get boring. The only thing she's excited about the weekend is the fact that she doesn't need to wake up early. Since it's Friday, and it's going to be a hell of two more days before Monday, she was somehow expecting to have a little bonding this time before she goes home.

"Hey, Pie, did Kim go home already?" asked Puey, fixing his things.

"I dunno, I'm not her keeper," she answered with a shrug.

Although they have been really close lately, it is not something that they share in the office. They don't talk that much when people are around. It's like they had a silent rule to keep their friendship in between them. There was no agreement about it. It just started rolling out like that. It's not like they're going to deny it but they don't want it to make it too obvious either, especially on Pie's part who doesn't want to be pissed by the fangirls.

"I know you're not her keeper but why are you acting so defensive?" asked Puey, hooking his bag on his shoulder.

"Because I don't know anything about her whereabouts. I'm not her girlfriend, Puey."

Puey got confused. "Hey, I'm just asking if you happen to notice Kim. What does it have to do with being her girlfriend? Besides, you don't need to be her girlfriend to notice if she left or not."

"Ugh, fine. What is this about anyway?"

"It's for our February project. I've printed the materials and sent her the soft copy. She needs to get these copies," said Puey, raising some papers. "I tried to chat her but she's been idle for fifteen minutes now."

"Then just bring the materials to her station then leave."

"I can't, Pie. My boyfriend is already downstairs. He doesn't want me to keep him waiting."

Pie smiled. "If your boyfriend cannot wait for you for another five minutes then you should dump him."

"Hmp. It's easy for you to say that. Unlike you, it's not every day I get someone to like me the way I am."

"Fine. I'll bring them." The truth is, Pie just saw it as an opportunity to go to Kim's department.

"Really? Wihihihi! Oh Pie, you're so great!" Puey came close to give Pie a peck on the cheek. "You're so beautiful! I really love you girl! Muwah!"

"Okay, okay. Enjoy your date now."

"Will surely, Pie! Thanks!" Puey hastily went out of the area.

---

Graphics Department

No one is in the room except for Van. Pie walked up straight to him. "Hey, where are the others?"

"Oh, hello there, Pie." Van stood up halfway but went back to sitting. "They already left. How can I help you?"

She raised the documents and said, "Puey wants Kim to have these."

"Oh. Let me take care of those." Van placed the papers beside his computer.

 

 

Pie looked around the area and saw Kim's things still on her table. "Kim hasn't left yet?"

"She was called by the management. The photographer called in sick today and the artists are arriving anytime now."

Pie leaned on the table and folded her arms on her chest. "She's gonna take pictures today?"

"Yeah. It was an emergency call."

"That's nice. So, how's your Friday?"

"As usual, busy. There are too many demands for February issues, you know, Valentine's is coming."

"I heard you've been receiving lots of visitors lately, huh?" asked Pie. Her main purpose is to find out what the fangirls are doing when they are visiting Kim.

Van laughed. "Oh, so you noticed it too?"

"Yeah, it's too obvious. I mean, Jane has been feeding me with what she sees in the hallway."

"It's all Kim's fault, you know, and that boss of hers."

"Her boss?"

"Yeah. I heard some of the girls asked what's with the haircut and all she says is that it was a request from her boss."

Pie secretly giggled at that. She couldn’t believe that Kim is telling that to her fangirls.

"She didn't clarify if that boss is a girlfriend or what. Those girls are so envious of her," Van continued.

Pie pressed her lips together to control her smile. "Maybe it's a special friend of hers."

"Special friend? I don't buy that, Pie."

"Why?"

"I don't think it's just a friend. I'm pretty sure that it's more than that."

"More like what?"

"Well, you know, it's probably Kim's girlfriend."

Pie suddenly felt choked. "W-why do you think so?"

"Girlfriends are those who usually make that kind of requests. And for Kim to obey it, I don't think that woman is just a friend."

Pie felt relieved that Van was busy on his computer. She's not sure if she's really blushing but she felt her face getting warm.

"Just their luck," said Van, pertaining to the fan girls, "somebody has already won over Kim's heart."

"What's the photo shoot again for, the one that Kim's on right now?" Pie asked immediately to change the topic. She can no longer handle the pressure in her chest.

"It's February issue, Valentine's special. They can't cancel the shoot today because the artists are very busy." Van handed the outline of the magazine.

"Who are the artists?" asked Pie, relieved that her heart beat rate is returning to normal.

"I'm not sure. Kim and I haven't looked at the outline yet. But based on what I heard it'll be a couple. The theme for next month's issue is entitled 'The Couple'."

Pie ran through the pages of the outline. She scanned the pages one by one.

Article...

Hearts...

Flowers...

Chocolates...

Weddings...

Her eyes widened when she saw the last page. "Oh my —"

"What's that?"

"Where's the photo shoot happening?"

"Uh, it's in the usual room on the 23rd floor. Why?"

"Nothing. I have to go. Thanks, Van." Pie left the outline on the table and hurried outside.

Van was still clueless with what Pie had seen. He checked the last pages of the outline and saw the artists' pictures and names.

Nam and Shone: Singapore model couple.

---

23rd Floor – Photo Shoot Room

Kim was getting ready for the shoot. She's adjusting the camera settings while waiting for the artists. She heard they arrived fifteen minutes ago and are currently retouching their makeup.

"Hi!" a good-looking guy approached her. Based on his looks, Kim knew that he's one of the models. "I assumed you're the photographer?" He pointed the camera hanging around Kim's neck.

Kim smiled and stretched out her hand for a shake. "Yeah. I'm Kim."

"I'm Shone," the angelic-faced-model introduced himself. "Nice meeting you."

They shook hands. Kim felt at ease. Shone's aura is very friendly.

Shone squints his eyes and stared at Kim for a moment. "Are you sure you're just taking pictures here? I really believe you're more qualified to be a model."

Kim laughed at the compliment. "Now you're kidding me."

"No, I'm serious, really. You're more handsome than I am."

"Haha! Thank you though, that’s too much compliment." Kim tapped Shone on the shoulder. "So, are you guys ready?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm pretty excited. This is the first photo shoot for a magazine I'll do here in Thailand."

"Oh really? Where did you come from?"

"I'm a Thai too, but you know, my modeling career began in Singapore."

Kim remembered something with that. "Oh really?"

Before Shone could speak, his eyes shifted to the woman behind Kim who's approaching them.

"Hey, Shone, I'm ready now. Let's get started," the woman spoke.

Dug! Dug!

Kim furrowed her eyebrows. She felt her heartbeat rose. She knew that voice very well. She could not be mistaken.

"Oh, there you are, Nam." Shone excused himself to approach his co-model. "Come here, I'd like you to meet our dazzling photographer."

Kim turned around and saw how Shone put his arm around Nam's waist to assist her. Nam raised her head and the beautiful smile on her face faded when she met eyes with their photographer. The time stood still.

Tik... tok...

Tik... tok...

Tik... tok...

"Uhhh... guys…?" said Shone.

Nam broke the silence after getting back to her senses, "Kimmy..."

Kim still hasn't fully recovered yet but felt compelled to respond, "Hi, Nam. Fancy meeting you here, huh?"

"Um, you two know each other?" asked Shone, feeling left behind by the two.

"Yeah. Kim is a good friend of mine. She used to take my photos before when we were in college," Nam asserted.

Kim smiled at the term Nam used.

 

Good friend, huh? Yeah.

"Oh really? That's cool." Shone’s excitement was interrupted by his ringing phone. He took it out from his pocket and glanced at the screen. "Ooops, excuse me, I need to take this."

Kim and Nam were left alone after Shone walked away from them.

"You work here?" Nam started, getting a simple nod from Kim as a response. "I… uh... I didn't know you graduated already."

"Just last year," said Kim, pretending to check something on the DSLR she's holding.

"Oh, that's good. So, you finally decided to go back to school, huh?"

"Yeah. I had to rethink my life."

Nam nodded. "So, who was with you during graduation?"

"My dad," said Kim flatly. She remembered Nam promising her before, when they were still okay, to attend her graduation.

"Oh. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to make it..."

"Don't worry. You're busy with your career. I perfectly understand that."

"By the way, my schedule is really crazy at the moment that's why I haven't gone back to your apartment yet."

"No worries. I'm kinda busy too."

"Oh." Nam looked around first and went back to Kim. "Where were you this New Year's Eve?"

"Taiwan."

"Your dad is still traveling a lot, huh?"

"Yeah, I don't think he'll ever get tired of that," said Kim, feigning a smile.

There was a moment of silence after that. They both knew that there's so much that they need to talk about but this isn't the right time and place for that conversation yet.

Kim cannot hide her curiosity anymore, so she asked, "Is Shone your —"

"Boyfriend, yes."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry that we have to meet this way. I was planning to introduce him to you sooner after we talk."

"No worries." Kim faked a smile. She doesn't want to look pathetic.

"Are you okay, Kim?"

Kim closed her eyes for a second.

Ugh. Don't use that tone on me, Nam.

The timbre of Nam's voice made her feel like she's talking to the old Nam — the Nam who cared for her, her very own Nammy. That's how Nam talks to her during their alone time before. Hearing her talk like that somehow triggered something inside Kim.

Are you okay, Kim?

Are you okay, Kim?

Are you okay, Kim?

Suddenly, flashes of memories appeared on her mind. That was Nam's usual question whatever the situation is. Hearing that same old line from that same old person using that same old tone just made Kim feel something she's not supposed to feel.

"Are you asking me if I'm jealous? I'm not," said Kim, slightly chuckling.

"Yeah, why would you be?" asked Nam.

Kim felt her heart tightened. Hearing Nam's way of talking brought back memories when they were still close. It's like her feelings for the girl that has been buried inside just burst out from the depths.

Then she felt envious of Shone. Nam's smile was only hers before; her attention, her care, her affection, everything. All of those things now belong to the new guy. Kim is now close to finally admitting it to herself. She knows she's losing the battle. She felt her knees getting weaker.

"Hey, honey, I've been looking everywhere for you."

Kim snapped back to reality when somebody from behind clung to her left arm. She knew that voice. She turned her head to make sure she's not dreaming. Her eyes widened when she realized that it's for real.

Pie!?

 

A/N: In case you're wondering, Nam and Shone were the lead characters in the 2010 Thai movie Crazy Little Things Called Love.