Nuisance

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

"The only place we're going to now is your place," said May, leaning forward to give a kiss.

Kim flattened her palms against May's shoulders and shoved her away. "Hey! Could you please stop this?"

"I'll only stop if you bring me to your place now."

"No, no, no! This is not right!"

The intern didn't seem to get it. "What's right for you then? This?" May started ing her shirt.

Oh !

Kim realized that it was serious when she saw a small pink brassiere already being exposed

"Hey, stop doing that!" said Kim, buttoning back the shirt while May was still ing the others.

What should I do with this girl! Dammit!

Feels like I'm walking on tightrope, my heart is in my throat, I'm counting on high hopes to get me over you

Both turned their attention to the ringing phone on the dashboard. It was Kim's.

"Excuse me. I need to take that call..." said Kim, slightly panting.

May sighed loudly but eventually gave in. She sat back on the passenger's seat and buttoned her shirt back. Kim went out of the car to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Kim? Are you alright?" It was Yam calling.

"I think so. I'm glad you called". Kim wiped her sweat with her handkerchief.

"Why do you sound exhausted? Were you running or something?"

Kim quickly glanced at her car before saying, "I was wrestling with someone..."

"What?"

Kim facepalmed herself when she realized what she said. "One of the new interns in the office was assaulting me in my car a while ago. I don't know how to tame her."

"Assaulting?" Yam laughed. "You should try to stop being charming for once, Kim. It's just your fault."

"It's not funny, Yam," Kim hissed. "She was about to kiss me before you called."

"What? So, I was right, you were really in trouble."

"Huh?"

"I was having a weird feeling just now that I need to call you and I don't know why. It turns out that you really need someone to save your then."

Kim chuckled. "Yeah. Thanks, Yam, I'll make it up to you next time."

"Kids nowadays are so aggressive, eh?"

"Tell me about it." Kim rolled her eyes. "Tsk, what should I do with her?"

"Tell her you already have a girlfriend. She'll stop if you do that."

"But I don't want to break her heart, Yam."

"What if she keeps on assaulting you? Don't tell me you'd give in?"

"No, of course not. I'm still in love with Pie, okay?" said Kim. "I don't have the slightest interest in this kid inside my car."

"Then tell her that you're with Pie."

"I can't. Pie is the one supervising her. I'll be dead if she finds that out."

"Then tell Pie about it."

Kim thought of it as a good idea. She'd do anything to stop this kid from harassing her. "Do you think she would agree to that?"

"If she likes you she will surely agree to it."

"But she has been avoiding me lately. In fact, she has been avoiding me after the trip," Kim confessed.

"Avoiding you in what way?"

"Well, we rarely talk," said Kim, scratching her head. "She doesn't chat me anymore. Thinking about it, I believe it started when Jane noticed our closeness."

"Really? That's interesting..."

"What do you think?"

"There could only be two possible reasons why she's doing that, Kim..."

"The only reason I could think of is everything that she'd shown me was just part of the play," said Kim, dejected. "Since the trip is over, the acting is over too."

"That's the first reason I have in mind."

"What's the second one?"

"It's the other side of the rainbow..."

"And that is?"

"You told me she's been avoiding you after the trip, right? Maybe she's doing that because she's totally fallen for you and just can't accept it yet?"

Before Kim's mind could process what Yam told her, she heard a knock on the door glass from inside her car. May eventually rolled the window down.

"Kim, what's taking you so long? I'm bored."

Ugh. This kid is really annoying.

Kim went back to Yam. "Hey, I need to go. I'll talk to you later."

"Yeah, I heard that."

"Yah! Why are you giggling?"

"Make sure to stay in one piece, okay?"

"Ugh, Yam..."

They ended the call and Kim walked back into her car.

---

"So, where to?" asked May, looking excited.

"I'm driving you home. I got urgent stuff to attend to later," said Kim, turning on her car engine.

"Aww, that's too bad. I thought I could spend some more time with you."

Kim smiled apologetically. "Sorry..."

"I'll let you pass this time on one condition." May raised a finger.

"What?"

"Pick me up for work tomorrow morning."

Kim frowned and looked away. Tsss. what a persistent brat.

"Just this one last time, please? Please?" May pleaded, tugging Kim's arm.

"Fine, just one last time, okay?"

"Okay! Yiiiiiii!!!" May wrapped her arms around Kim's neck.

Your girlfriend is crazy, Dang!

---

Pie was restless the whole night to the point that she didn't enjoy the final episode of the drama she'd been watching.

I wonder how their date went. Did May confess? I know Kim isn't the type of person who'll take advantage of a situation like that. But what if she likes May too? Aish!

She keeps looking at her phone from time to time but was disappointed to see nothing. After thinking about it, she sent a message to Kim.

To: Kim
Message: Make sure May will come tomorrow for work, okay?

The first few minutes were like hell while she was waiting for a reply. She got excited when her phone beeped but she was disappointed with the response she got.

From: Kim
Message: I will.

Pie threw her phone on the bed.

That's just it? Did May confess already? Are they together?

She messed her hair up in frustration. Aaaarrrrgh!

---

Something's weird here.

Pie was staring at the empty table beside her. She's already used to see May coming to the office earlier than she does but today is different. Usually, she'll see May's bag already sitting on the chair if the kid decided to go somewhere first, but today it's empty.

She felt hopeful when she heard footsteps in the hallway. She never thought she'd be happy to see Dang coming early, which could only mean that May is just a few steps behind him. Dang walked straight to graphics department without looking around the area. Pie was motionless from where she's standing, waiting for May to appear from the door.

Three...

Two...

One...

No one? Is she not with Dang?

Pie sat in her chair feeling totally disappointed. It doesn't really matter if May is late or what, what worries her is the thought that the kid is with Kim at the moment.

After checking herself in the mirror, she decided to get her morning coffee in the pantry. Pie was passing by the elevator area when the elevator bell dinged. The lift door opened on their floor, revealing May who stepped out and went inside the office without noticing Pie.

But just as before everything feels right, to her disappointment, a certain person went out of the lift after May.

K-Kim...?

Pie was frozen from her spot, thinking that the only reason these two came in together is because Kim picked up the intern from her house. Not to mention that May's ear to ear grin is giving all the answers to Pie's enigma.

She met eyes with Kim for a fraction of a second. Pie turned away immediately and went straight to the pantry. She's not really in the mood to even say hi. She's not sure if she's mad. It was just the start of the morning but she felt like her day has already been ruined.

Were they together? Why are they together?

Pie stared blankly at the coffee machine. She can't take the image off her mind: how Kim went out of the lift, how May's victory smile looked like, and that single eye contact she had with Kim. Pie wanted to give Kim an idea that she's not pleased with what she saw, that's why she went to the pantry without saying a word.

---

"Morning!" said May, humming happily.

"Oh, hey," Pie replied shortly. She settled her coffee down.

"Are you alright, Ms. Pie?"

"Mmm? Yeah. Why?"

"Hmmm, something's just different in your aura. You seem to be emitting negative vibes today."

Pie knew herself that something's off in her mood too. "Don't mind me. I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed."

"You sure?" asked May.

"Yeah." Pie faked a smile. She turned back to her computer. "What about you, you seem to be happy..."

Great, why am I even asking that?

May giggled. "It's because Kim is so sweet. She drove me home yesterday and picked me up for work this morning."

"Ah yeah? Were you able to confess?" said Pie, annoyed.

She's picked me up countless of times already, don't be too proud yet.

"Yesterday."

"So... what happened?"

"She... she confessed something to me too..." said May, pouting a little. "After she dropped me home last night she told me that she's already in love with someone else."

That caught Pie's attention. "D-did she... did she tell you who it is?"

May shook her head. "She told me it's someone I don't know."

Pie curved her eyebrows. Someone May doesn't know?

"But I have a feeling that it's the girl named Yam.”

"H-how did you know her?" asked Pie.

"I saw her name flashing on Kim's phone," said May, looking jealous. "Kim had to step out of the car to talk to her. I wonder what they were talking about that she doesn't want me to hear."

Pie stared blankly at her monitor.

I remember her doing the same thing when we were in Pattaya. What's with you, Yam?

---

Pie was filling her tumbler with water when she felt someone stood behind, waiting for her to finish. Upon recognizing the cologne of the person, Pie smiled. It's the familiar scent she'd been missing all this time.

Pie turned around and involuntarily took a step backward when she realized that they were so near each other. "Oh..."

"Hey." Kim smiled at her. "Why you looked surprised to see me? I'm also an employee here, you know..."

"I know, I'm sorry. It's just that — oh, go ahead..." Pie realized her stupidity and stepped aside to give way to Kim.

"Thanks," said Kim, bending a little to fill her tumbler with water.

Instead of walking away from that place, Pie can't help but admire the exquisiteness of the person in front of her. Kim is wearing a gingham shirt, sleeves rolled up, showing her silky forearms. Her gray pants fit perfectly on her legs. Her hair is a bit messy but looks hot on her.

Pie may not have admitted it to herself before, but the truth is she finds Kim unbelievably attractive, chiseled perfectly to tease hearts.

"How's your day?" asked Kim, not looking at her.

It was then when Pie realized what she's doing. Oh, gosh. Did I just check her out? "Busy as usual. How about yours?"

"It's quite stressful for a Friday," Kim replied, giving a quick look, showing crooked smile. "Can't wait for the day to end."

And that amile just did the trick.

Pie felt her heart starting to act weird, beating twice or maybe even thrice its normal rate. For the nth time in her history, just because of Kim, she was once again lost for words.

Oh my gosh, this is not good!

Pie felt the need to be out of that scene right away. She doesn't want Kim to notice her internal turmoil. In fact, she's a bit concerned about her heart's behavior that she already considered going to the infirmary to have it checked.

"So, uh, I'll go ahead..."

Just as when Pie regret saying it, but left with no choice but to leave, Kim grabbed her by her arm. "Wait. Can we... talk…?"

Pie felt her body heating up with Kim's touch. She missed it. She missed the warmth and comfort that palm had given her. She'd be lying if she'd say she doesn't want to stay. All her body parts are telling her to stay, except maybe for her heart who knows nothing but to pump faster.

"Um, so... what are we going to talk about?" asked Pie instead, trying to sound natural.

"Are you alright?" asked Kim, raising her tumbler to drink from it.

Pie opened to say something but got distracted by Kim's reddened wet lips from the drink. She was brought to more agony when Kim pressed her lips together after putting down the tumbler at the counter.

Oh, Pie, get a grip on yourself!

"Pie?" Kim tapped her. "Are you alright? You're zoning out."

"Y-yeah, I'm... I'm okay..." Pie looked away, pinching her nose with her fingers.

"Okay." Kim exhaled. She placed her hands inside her back pockets and said, "Umm, like I said, can we talk?"

Pie put a hand on her side neck, unsure of what it meant. "Mmmm, aren't we talking now?"

"Umm..." Kim scratched the top of her head. "I mean can we... talk alone?"

"Alone?" Pie looked around the pantry and saw no one around but them.

Kim scrunched up her face and facepalmed herself. "Uh, well, you know, it's Friday and uh... I was thinking if... I mean... can we talk alone in some other place... later?"

"Ahhh, later?" A smile slipped across Pie's face, all because of Kim's cute nervousness. "You mean after work?"

"Y-yeah..." Kim rubbed her palms together slowly. "Umm, only if you're free..." She bit her lower lip on the last word.

Pie observed the somewhat embarrassed Kim in front of her, amused by the obvious coyness. "Don't worry, I'm free." There's no point playing hard to get now, Pie surely missed being with this person alone.

Kim's face lit up. "So, how should we do this? Should we go down together or I'll pick you up in front?"

"Let's just meet in the parking lot like before. I'm still trying to avoid your fangirls, you know."

Kim had a slightly sheepish look on her face as her hand reached for her nape. Then she brought her clenched fist in front of Pie for a fist bump. "Okay, just like before."

Pie smacked her closed fist to Kim's. "I'll see you later then."

"Okay, I'll go ahead." Kim walked out first of the pantry.

After the door was shut, Pie was left alone in the pantry. She was trying her best to hold off her smile, looking around to make sure no one is looking at her the moment.

Did she just ask me out?

She covered her face with a hand while trying to stop herself from squealing.

Eeeeeeeeee!

---

All her anxieties from the past few days vanished after that little talk with Kim. It just made her feel that they are mutually missing each other. Pie scratched off the "May" event this morning from her head.

When the clock struck five, Pie went to the restroom to retouch her makeup. It's not necessary to hurry up because Kim will surely wait for her like before. She's not in the mood for any interrogation yet so she doesn't want Jane or the other fangirls to notice them together.

After the quick retouching, Pie went back to her station and saw May fixing her own stuff hastily.

"Hey, you in a hurry?" asked Pie.

"Yes, Ms. Pie..." May was too busy putting things in her bag.

"Dating?" Pie's feeling confident to ask something like that now because she knows that whoever May is gonna be with this afternoon, it's not going to be Kim.

"Not really. But I have to catch up with Kim."

"W-what did you say?"

"I asked Kim to go out earlier, but she said she can't because she's seeing someone today," said May, busy arranging her stuff. "I have a feeling that it's her girlfriend so I need to go with her. I want to see that girl."

Pie's mouth fell agape, impressed with the kid's boldness.

"I'll go ahead, Ms. Pie. Enjoy your weekend." May grabbed her bag and strode out of that area.

Pie was still dumbfounded, trying to process what May is doing. When she realized that May is gonna ruin their plan, she quickly fixed her things too and pulled out her phone to warn Kim.

Please pick up! Please pick it up!

Brrrr... Brrrr... Brrr...

"Hey."

"Kim, where are you now?" Pie walked quickly, heading to the elevator area.

"Umm, I'm waiting for the elevator down..."

"What? You're supposed to be in your car by now."

"I know, but something came up..."

"You need to hide from M —" Pie reached the elevator area and was frozen with what she saw.

Aside from the other fellow employees who are also waiting, three people caught Pie's eyes: Kim, Dang, and May.

May's hands were firmly placed on Kim's arm, making sure the latter won't escape. Kim's other hand was holding her phone. And Dang, who looked disappointed again, was just standing few steps away from the two with both hands in his side pockets.

The elevator door opened. All the other employees in the area went in except for those four.

Pie slowly took her phone away from her ear. She knew the meaning of Kim's disappointed face.

"Ms. Pie..."

Pie turned her eyes to May who called her.

May glanced at Kim first, specifically looking at the phone in Kim's hand. She looked at Pie after and asked, "Were you the one who just called Kim?"