Hangover

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Although she had a busy weekend, her excitement to go the office that morning didn't trail off. Pie woke up in high spirits, welcoming the rainy morning cheerfully. After their fun dinner and late conversation last night, she can't help but smile to herself at the idea that she's going to see Kim again soon.

She immediately checked the list of her online friends when she got in the office. She was glad to see Kim's already in but has been idle for seven minutes.

She might be in the pantry.

She went to the ladies' room first to check herself. She went back to her station and grabbed her tumbler for her morning coffee.

Someone went out of the pantry just before she pushed the door in. She heard Kim and Jane's laughter from the inside.

She hesitated to go in for a minute. She stepped back and leaned against the wall, holding the tumbler in her left hand and tapping her fingers on it.

You can do this, Pie.

She panicked when someone went out again. Fortunately, it was someone else. After feeling weirded out with herself, she finally decided to go in. Pie pushed the door and got a glimpse of Kim and Jane sitting at the table. Jane is facing the door entrance while Kim is in front of her.

"Good morning, Pie!" Jane shouted, making the other people in the pantry turn their attention to her.

"Morning." Pie smiled awkwardly at Jane. She saw how Kim's head turned around to check on her.

"Good morning," said Kim, casually resting her arm on the backrest.

"Hi, Kim." Pie smiled but totally avoided meeting Kim's eyes. She walked directly to the vending machine and pressed the coffee button. "What are you two doing here? And Jane, you're early, huh?"

"Kim and I are having our breakfast," said Jane. "And as for your next question, well, somebody picked me up and drove me here this morning." The statement was followed by a flirty giggle.

"Somebody?" Pie raised an eyebrow. She knew who it was. She grabbed her tumbler and walked towards the table. "Is that person the reason for your undeniably cheery aura today?"

Jane couldn't react and blushed instead.

"Should we call that somebody as Zee?" said Kim.

"Eeeee, Kim!" Jane hit Kim's arm playfully. "Since when you two are on the same team?"

"Same team?" asked Pie.

"You two are ganging up on me..." Jane whined, looking up at Pie and glancing at Kim after.

"No, we're not..." Kim waved a hand.

Pie sat down beside Kim. "It's pretty obvious, Jane, don't worry. It's not like I never had an idea about it."

Jane reached for Pie's free hand on the table. "Sorry, I didn't tell you. I was afraid you're going to judge me..."

"Psh... It's alright, Jane. In fact, I'm happy," said Pie. "I think it's time for you to be in a serious relationship now."

"Really?" Jane squeezed Pie's hand. "Wow, this is amazing, Pie. I thought you don't approve such things?"

"Don't worry about it." Pie gave the sincerest smile she could before she turning to Kim. "What are you eating?"

"Chicken fillet and rice," said Kim, pointing at her meal. "I bought it from a newly opened restaurant near my place. Want a bite?"

Pie put her tumbler down on the table. "I'm glad you're eating some real breakfast today, huh?" She pulled her chair to lean closer and grabbed Kim's fork to plant it into one of the chicken strips.

Kim pulled her body a bit away from the table to give room for Pie. "Yeah, I don't want boss getting mad at me, y'know..."

Pie chuckled as she took a bite of the chicken. "Mmm, this is nice..."

"Is that boss your girlfriend, Kim?" asked Jane. Pie choked a bit.

"Ahh, no, Jane. She is a good friend of mine.”

"She was the one who requested for you to get a haircut, right?"

"Yup, same person."

Jane folded her arms on the table. "A special friend of yours, perhaps?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

"Is she pretty?"

"Uh... yes..."

Pie continued to munch Kim's food. Pretending not to hear whatever the two are talking about.

"Are you sure you're only friends?" Jane kept on grilling.

"We're just friends, Jane," said Kim, secretly hoping it'll be more than that.

"Hmm, but why do I have a feeling that you like that friend of yours?"

Pie coughed. Good thing she has a small deal of food in , otherwise she might have spat those on Jane's face.

"Hey, are you alright?" Kim rubbed Pie's back and pushed the glass of water to her.

"Yeah, I'm Sorry. Something was just stuck in my throat." Pie grabbed the water and drank it all up.

Kim went back to Jane after Pie had recovered. "Where were we again?"

"I was saying that I have a feeling that you are crushing on your boss, Kim," Jane reiterated.

Kim's jaw dropped. "W-what makes you think so?"

"Well, look at yourself in the mirror," said Jane, chuckling. "You're blushing."

Pie was still holding the glass of water against her cheek when she was tempted to look at what Jane was pointing. Jane was right, Kim's cheeks were red. Pie smiled at the sight of embarrassed Kim.

"Hey, Kim, this is really delicious, huh," said Pie, butting in to rescue. She scooped a spoonful of rice in Kim's mouth. She needed to change the topic because it's getting more and more awkward for the both of them.

"Not mbad, wayt?" said Kim in between bites. She knew what Pie is trying to pull so she rode along.

“Yeah. It’s nice. We should hang out there some time with Zee too. What do you think, Jane?” said Pie.

Jane had a serious look on her face. "Hmmm… I think..."

"What?" Pie and Kim asked in unison.

Jane brought a hand to her chin and shoot suspicious looks at the two people in front of her. "I think there is something peculiar between you two..."

Kim and Pie were frozen. The only thing that they have in mind right now is if Zee had told Jane everything.

"How so?" Kim bravely asked.

"Since when did you become THAT close?" asked Jane, putting emphasis on the word.

"Close? What do you mean?" asked Pie.

"You, feeding Kim? When did this start to happen?"

"Just now,” said Pie, acting cool. "I'm planning to feed you too in a while, don't worry."

Kim was just silent, unsure of what to say.

"It's not just that, Pie..." said Jane, still skeptical.

"What else then?" asked Pie, talking another bite of the chicken so it won't be obvious that she's fidgeting.

"I don't know. There's just something different..."

"Like?"

"Like look at how you sit next to each other now, elbows touching and all that sweetness..." said Jane, gesturing her hands at them. "And you both looked comfortable around each other. Am I missing something here?"

Pie pulled herself back slowly after realizing how close her body is to Kim. "Well, we're friends, Jane. Of course, we're comfortable with each other,” said Pie.

"Yeah. It's just the same thing like how you're comfortable with me," Kim agreed meekly.

"Yeah, but... something's just different.... Oh, is that a tattoo on your hand, Pie?" asked Jane.

Pie was glad it was raining that morning and Kim was wearing a hoodie jacket with built-in gloves, hiding the henna on her hand.

"Nope, just henna. It'll wear off in few days," said Pie.

Jane held Pie's right hand to observe the design closely. "It looks so cute. I never thought you're the type of person who wants things like this."

"Ummm, I was hanging out with some friends yesterday and they all had this. I couldn't say no," Pie lied.

"Really, Pie, you're hanging out? That's a miracle. You never liked going out that much, right?"

"Yeah."

"I think something's just changed with you, and I don't know what that is," said Jane, eyeing Kim. "Whatever that change is, I think it is good. You even approved me and Zee without cringing."

"Oh, c'mon, Jane. I love you. Of course, I'll accept whoever you want as your partner." Pie was thankful that the topic has been changed.

"Thanks, Pie. How about you, Kim, do you love me too?" asked Jane, acting like a baby.

"You are my friend here in the office plus you're my best friend's girlfriend. I don't have any reason not to care for you," said Kim.

Jane brought her hands over her heart. "Aww. That's so touchy. Do you love Pie too?"

"Oh, c'mon, Jane. Stop that," Pie protested.

"What? It's just a simple question, Pie. What's wrong?"

"Then why are you asking something like that to Kim about me?"

"Why, are you feeling awkward about it?"

"Yeah, a bit." Pie looked away. "We're not together, Jane, just to clarify."

Kim sighed.

"Hey, I'm not talking about being attracted romantically," said Jane, obviously enjoying teasing Pie. "I'm just asking her if she loves you as a friend, why are you reacting like that?"

"Because I've known you for more than two years now and I know that you really meant something else, Jane."

"Maybe yes, maybe no..." Jane gave her a smile which made Pie thinks that she's in for a private interrogation later.

Wanting to exit the grilling, Kim checked her wristwatch. "Umm, I think I need to go back to my station now, it's almost eight o'clock." The only thing she wants to do now is to call Zee to make sure that she won't spill anything to Jane.

Both girls nodded and stood up from their chairs.

---

Pie was troubled the entire day because Jane had been teasing her about Kim. She's starting to think that maybe she should avoid Kim for now until the issue subsides. But then, after all that had happened, she knows that she doesn't have enough courage to stay away from Kim anymore.

She made up excuses during their lunch just to avoid going out with Jane alone. She knows that Jane is itching to have some "girl talk" with her. It's too early for interrogation now. She hasn't planned anything to say yet in case Jane asked her again. And what if Zee has already told Jane everything? How will she explain the fact that she volunteered to be Kim's fake girlfriend?

Office hours are finally over. Pie was glad she escaped Jane the entire day. After retouching a little in the ladies' room, she grabbed her shoulder bag quick and readied herself to go home straight.

As she was about to exit the ladies' room she saw Jane coming in.

"Pie! Are you going home now?"

"Oh, Jane, hi there..." Pie faked a smile so it won't be too obvious that she's in a hurry. "Yes, I'm about to go home." She held her bag and started to walk towards the door, hoping that she could just pass by Jane without any problem.

Jane purposely blocked Pie's way. "You seem to be in a hurry..."

"Not really.... I just want to go home early. It's raining all day and I want to avoid rush hour."

"Can't you wait for me for five minutes? Let's go down together."

Pie knew she can't escape anymore. The most she could hope is for Jane not to ask her questions.

Jane walked in and put down her shoulder bag on the counter. Before looking at herself in the mirror, which is her usual habit, she peeked into each cubicle to see if anyone is in there.

Pie noticed it. She had an idea of running away if Jane decides to pee.

"Okay, all clear..." Jane mumbled. "It seems like we're all alone here."

Pie leaned back on the tiled wall beside the hand dryer.

"So..." Jane opened her bag to get her hairbrush out. "There's something I've been itching to ask you, Pie..."

Pie gulped. She can see Jane in the mirror. "What is it?"

"I'm sure you know what it is about." Jane smiled as she combs her hair.

"I don't have any idea, Jane."

"Oh, c'mon, are you sure you want me to ask it to you directly?"

Pie doesn't want to give in. Even though there's only a tiny chance for it, she's hoping it's not about Kim. "What is it about anyway?"

Jane just finished putting a clip on her bangs first before turning to Pie. "Do you like Kim?"

Pie felt her nervousness level rise. She looked around the area first to make sure that nobody is around. She'll be dead if any of the fangirls would hear that conversation.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Where did you get that notion?"

"Would you believe me if I told you that your body language says it all?" said Jane.

"What's different in my body language?"

"It's not just you, you know..." Jane was putting on some pressed powder on her face this time. "Kim's body language sends the same vibe."

“Kim? How?”

"Kim started acting differently when you came earlier. You know, like a teenager who's conscious after seeing her crush."

Pie pressed her lips together to hold off her smile at this newfound information.

"It's like you can read each other's minds," said Jane, looking at Pie. "One moves and the other moves too. You don't need to tell each other what you would do. Everything is just mutual."

"In other words, like you said, we look totally comfortable around each other?"

"It's not just about being comfortable, Pie, but it's... it's sweet."

Pie didn't know how to defend herself with what Jane said.

Jane was leaning over so she could look at her face closely in the mirror. "You should have seen how you guys looked earlier; like a real couple."

"But that doesn't mean I like her, Jane. I admit I'm comfortable around her, but I don't like her," said Pie, thinking that it’s probably just a hangover from the acting they’ve done.

"Oh, sweetie, no woman in this office doesn't like Kim."

Pie rolled her eyes. "I have to admit she's charming, okay. I won't deny that. But I don't like her the way you or the other girls like her."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Yes."

"Why are you so being hard on yourself, Pie? I thought you're okay with Zee and me?"

"What do Zee and you have to do with me and Kim?"

"Well, I just thought that you're okay now to be in that kind of relationship."

Pie stared blankly at the designs on Jane's blouse. She knew herself that the moment she pretended to be Kim's girlfriend she already entertained the idea of being in a relationship with a woman.

"Or are you just still afraid of what your mom would say?" asked Jane.

Pie looked up and met Jane's eyes. She shook her head no to disagree. Aside from that, she doesn’t know what to say anymore.

Jane held both Pie’s hands. "What are you afraid of? People judging you, your mom, or yourself? I'm gonna tell you what you just told me earlier. I think it's time for you to let yourself be in a serious relationship now. Just remember that whoever you choose, I won't judge you."

Pie gave a nod.

Jane smiled and went to her bag to zip it. "Just remember I'm always here in case you've decided that you're ready to talk about it, hmmm?"

Pie felt a tap on her shoulder as Jane walked past her to the door.

Jane turned quick after noticing that Pie isn't moving from her spot. "C'mon now, Zee is waiting for me downstairs."

"Oh, okay..." Pie grabbed her bag and head out the room.