Closer

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

"Hey, 'sup, Amazon?"

"W-what are you doing here?"

Pie was surprised. On the back of her head, she never thought that she'd be relieved to hear someone call her Amazon at that moment.

"I was about to ask you the same thing," said Kim, taking a quick sip from the bottle she’s holding.

"Are you following me?"

"Excuse me, following you? I should be the one asking you that."

Realizing what Kim said, Pie played the handkerchief with her hands. "H-how long have you been here?"

"An hour ago, before you came running here like a lost child."

“Oh. I didn’t notice you earlier.”

Apparently, Kim was wearing a black hooded jacket and black Bermuda shorts, making her unnoticeable in the dark. "I figured that out, don't worry."

Pie didn't say anything. Her mind was flying. A minute ago, she was worried if Kim would be spending the night with Jane — she's not sure why she's worried in the first place — and now she feels relieved to see Kim just in front of her boozing on a liquor.

Without any warning, Kim gently threw a small towel on Pie's face, making the latter frown. "Dry yourself up, you're a mess."

Pie stared at the towel first, then to Kim. Being nice to me, huh?

"Don't worry. I haven't used that one yet, princess."

"Oh... thanks..." Pie couldn't understand why the endearment sounded sweeter this time. "So, what are you doing here alone?"

"Just thinking about some random stuff. You?"

"I was on the phone with my mom before it rained."

"Ahhh."

"I, uh, I thought you were gonna be with Jane tonight."

Kim gave her a confused look. "In your room?"

"Yup."

"What am I gonna do in your room then?"

"Well, you know... Jane giving you a real hickey?"

Kim was about to drink from the bottle but she stopped. "Seriously? Do you really think I'd do that?"

Pie nodded. She lied.

"What? Are you kidding me? I won't do something like that, at least not with a random person," said Kim, slightly panicking.

"Well, I thought you and Jane were..."

"We're what?"

"I don't know... flirting?"

Kim burst out laughing. "C'mon, Pie, seriously? Do you really think of me like that?"

Pie nodded hesitantly. "W-weren't you?"

"Pie, the last time I checked, the term 'being nice' is not synonymous with 'flirting'."

"You can't blame me," said Pie, scratching her itchy arm. "You're too nice to Jane, well, to all your fangirls actually. I thought you're just playing with everyone."

"Well, can't I be nice to people who are nice to me too?"

Pie pouted her lips, mentally agreeing to what Kim is trying to point out. "I guess you could say that." She sat on the table with her back facing Kim. "Sorry."

"For?"

"I'm sorry for having that kind of impression on you.”

"No worries." Kim took another sip from the bottle. "Were you thinking that I was flirting with you too?"

"I didn't mean it that way." Pie knew that Kim is teasing her. Good thing she's sitting on the other side of the table, making it easy for her to hide her blushing face from Kim.

"Oooh, do you think you're seducible?" asked Kim in a charming teasing tone.

"Arg! I hate you!"

Kim stood up and walked towards Pie, one hand in her pocket. "And what was that fangirls you mentioned a while ago?"

Pie avoided Kim's eyes. "I won't believe you if you would say that you're not aware how many girls are swooning over you," she said, running her palms up and down her arms, trying to create a warm friction from the cold weather.

Kim noticed the gesture and had a notion that Pie is feeling cold. She motioned the tip of the bottle on Pie's side and asked, "Do you mind?"

Pie shook her head.

"Thanks." She sat beside Pie, slowly squeezing her body to hers.

Pie would've contested to what Kim was doing but the warm feeling of the jacket against her body made her shut up. She knew what Kim was thinking.

There was a moment of silence and all you can hear is the pouring rain.

"Can I stay close for a while?" asked Pie.

Kim nodded. "I would have lent you my jacket but that'll leave me ."

Pie snickered at that. "You're funny," she said, playfully hitting Kim.

"Funny and flirty, huh?"

"Just funny." Pie noticed the red mark on Kim's cheek. "Hey, does this one still hurt?"

"A bit."

Pie laid an arm upon Kim's back. She's comfortable with the warmth the jacket brings. She touched the red mark on Kim's cheek with a fingertip. "I'm sorry about this."

"It's okay. It's not every day I get a hickey, especially not from an Amazon."

Pie pressed the red mark with her thumb. "Stop teasing me, okay?"

"Aww! I'm not teasing you, Pie. I'm flirting with you, haha!"

"Hmp!"

Pie doesn't feel uncomfortable anymore. She's not sure if it's because Kim had gained her trust or if it's because they are alone and she can freely let her guard down knowing that no one can see them.

"I guess we're stuck here until the rain stops," Kim sighed.

"Why, are you already getting bored?"

"No, of course not."

Pie poked Kim's back. "Hey, why don't we play a game while we wait?"

"And what kind of game do you propose?"

Pie placed two fingers on her chin as she leans her entire body against Kim's back. "Hmm, why don't we play the 'answer a question with a question'?"

"Ugh, not that one." Kim scratched her neck. "Jane said it's a hard game."

"It's not hard. You just have to think carefully. Are you afraid of losing to me?"

"Hah. I'm not gonna let you win that easy, princess."

"So, is that a yes?"

"Bring it on. What's the penalty for the loser?"

"The loser should do anything the winner wishes."

"That's fine for me. Deal?" Kim clenched her fist, asking for a fist bump.

"Deal." Pie smacked her closed fist to Kim's.

"Okay. You start the ball roll, Madame."

"Okay." Pie put her fingers on her chin again while thinking. "How long do you think this rain will last?"

Kim took a moment to respond, trying to make sure she'll get it right, "Do you want it to stop right away?"

"I'm just a bit worried. If this won't stop until tomorrow, what are we gonna do here?"

"Why, do you think being stuck here with me is a bad idea?"

"But aren't you worried that I might bore you?"

Kim smiled. "Where did you get the idea that you're boring?"

"And where did you get the idea that I don't want to be around you?"

Kim whipped her head to Pie and turned away immediately when their eyes met.

Pie, on the other hand, regret saying what just came out of . Her grip on Kim's jacket tightened. She wanted to take it back however she doesn't want to lose as well. Then she noticed that Kim's ears are reddened.

Kim finally recovered. "Uhm... so… you mean... after all the I-don't-want-you-around-me rapport you've established between us, you actually wanted us to be close?"

"What makes you think that I want us to be close?" said Pie, rolling her eyes.

"Well, y-you, you just said it a while ago, right?"

“Wanting to be around you means different from liking you, right?”

Kim shrugged. “Is it really that impossible for you to like me?”

Pie blushed a bit with that question. "Huh, do you really think you're that charming?"

"Didn't you just mention a while ago that I have fangirls?"

"But did I say that I was one of them?"

Kim sighed. "Seriously, didn't it occur to you once that you and I can be closer?"

"What do you mean by closer?"

"Are you thinking of something else aside from being friends?"

"If we become friends, do you think you could stick with my mood swings and tyranny?"

Kim smiled. "Will you believe me if I tell you that I'd love to?"

Pie struck by that momentarily. "Are you serious about what you're saying?"

"Do I look like I'm kidding?"

Pie had to look away out of shyness. "You’re drunk, aren’t you?"

"Do I smell like drunken to you?"

"Then why are you asking me those kinds of questions?"

"Why, are you uncomfortable in answering them?"

"Are you just teasing me or was that an attempt to flirt with me?"

"Oh, c'mon, Pie. Isn't it obvious that I'm just teasing you?"

Pie somehow felt disappointed. "You do that every time, with everyone, so how would I know?"

"Not unless you want me to flirt with you; do you want me to?"

"Ugh. What makes you think I want to?"

"Then why are you blushing, Pie?"

Pie's eyebrows furrowed. "Aren't you aware that your whole face is as red as tomato as well?"

Feeling embarrassed, both looked away from each other. Kim looked up and Pie hid on Kim's back.

Pie is already scolding herself for bringing that game up. She noticed the almost-empty bottle on Kim's right hand. She grabbed it.

"Hey, what's that?" Kim watched Pie drink all the remaining content of the bottle.

After finishing it, Pie handed back the bottle to Kim. "Why didn't you tell me it tastes good?"

Kim looked at Pie and at the bottle. She glanced back at the other woman, noticing Pie's now reddened-wet-lips. Kim looked back at the tip of the bottle.

"Did you... enjoy it…?"

"Enjoyed what?"

Kim was already thinking of the indirect kiss but didn't mention it, "Uh... well... Vodka tastes good, right?"

Pie nodded. She stared at Kim for a while before finally speaking, "Kim, can I ask you a question?"

"Aren't you asking me already?" Kim joked.

Pie's gave a playful slap. "I'm serious, okay?"

"Then what is it?"

Pie's hand wandered on Kim's back like she's playing Incy Wincy Spider song. "Do you believe in love at first sight?"

Kim smirked at the question. She was warned that it was a serious question but she wasn't expecting something like that. "What kind of corny question is that, Pie?"

"Tsk. Don't I look like I'm serious?"

"Are you sure you want me to answer that?"

"Just tell me, what's your point of view?"

"Well, I can’t really say, you know,” said Kim, her eyes looking far away. “But I believe it’s possible for you to like a person right away the moment you met. And I think that’s the concept of love at first sight; getting attracted to the person on your first meeting and eventually falling deeper along the way.”

Pie smiled. "Have you felt that recently?"

"Love at first sight?"

"Yes?"

"To be honest, I'm not sure."

"Kim..."

"Yeah?"

Pie moved her head closer. Kim slightly shivered when she felt Pie's breath on her ear. Pie covered with her right hand and then whispered, "You lost."

Kim's jaw dropped, realizing that she's been tricked. "You got me there, huh?"

Pie moved away with a lazy-teasing smile on her face, eyes almost disappearing. "Well, well, well..."

Although they might not have started on the right foot, what's happening now is a good thing. Kim is thankful that she finally got the chance to talk to Pie. She's hoping they'd be good friends too.

While the little lady is laughing and celebrating her victory, Kim was already staring in awe at Pie, completely drawn to the adorable smile on her face.