Friends

HERSHE (TIAOM)

 

Sunday - Issaya Siamese Club

"So, you're saying that you two got back together?"

"Yeah. We're officially together again. Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the breakup?" said Mike, scooping food into his mouth.

Pie set down the glass of mango juice on the table. "Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup had made her realize how much you mean to her, right?"

"Honestly she panicked a little after she found out from my dad that I was going out with you." Mike chuckled.

"Really? Should I start hiding now?" asked Pie, laughing.

"Haha, don't worry. She doesn't kill, but yeah, she tortures..."

"Oooh, scary..." Pie pretends to shudder, making Mike laugh again. "But seriously, though, I'm happy for you."

"Well, thank you," said Mike, bowing slightly. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The break up was hard for me, yes, but I just thought that I should be happy it happened, right?"

"And why?"

"Well, if Sarah didn't break up with me before I don't think we'll get closer," said Mike seriously. "Being friends with you is a breakup retribution I'm glad happened."

Pie gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things has been troubling her lately, she can't deny that Mike is one of those few people who gives her joy from time to time. "I'm thankful to have you as a friend too."

Mike smiled at her and went back to eating his food. After few seconds of silence, he spoke again, "How about you, how's he?"

Pie was glad that she didn't choke on her food because that question had surely struck her bull's eye. The truth is, she's not okay. She never got the chance to talk to Kim until Friday because Yam was the one who drove her and picked her up in the office. Pie didn't even bother to ask Kim out over the weekend because she remembered how Yam told Jane, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Kim.

Pie isn’t sure how it happened. Suddenly, she felt like she doesn't exist in Kim's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Mike asked her out today because she was just gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Mike..." said Pie, absently tapping the tip her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Mike, pausing a little while waiting for Pie to look up to him, "it's that Kim, right?"

"H-how —"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness, yeah; but only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh..." Pie looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one you're with in Pattaya, right?" asked Mike, getting a nod from Pie. "She's the one you were talking to in café that Friday night too, right?"

Pie nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell it to you because I thought you won't accept it."

"Why won't I accept it? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Mike sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled up until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"

"Because it's not as easy as what you're having with Sarah..."

Mike leaned forward, his arms against the edge of the table. "I know, but you can't keep yourself hurting like that. Is this because of your mom?"

Pie nodded slowly. "There's no way she will accept it."

"Maybe you and Kim could work it out in a different way? Have you talked to her about it?"

Pie shook her head. "She doesn't even know what I really feel for her. And she's been avoiding me since she found out that you and I have been going out."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Mike smiled apologetically. "Did I ruin it?"

Pie had a don't-worry-about-it face as she shakes her head.

"Do you want me to talk to her to clarify things out?"

"No. There's no need for that."

"Why?"

"She might be already over me..."

"That fast? That's impossible," said Mike, shaking his head. "If she's really into you there's no way she can get over you that instant. Maybe she's not really that serious about you?"

"She is," Pie answered with a sigh. "She confronted me a week ago about. I was just so confused. I didn't know what to say. I end up denying everything. I even told her I can't be with her. That's the last time we really talked. The next thing I knew is she was treating me like a total stranger."

"Well, you can't blame her for doing that to you. Can't you just approach her and talk to her again?"

"I can't. She's already going out with another girl."

"Going out like dating?"

"Maybe hanging out for now, but who knows. The girl is obviously enamored with Kim," Pie grunted, slightly rolling her eyes.

"And you're jealous," Mike concluded, snickering. "So, you're telling me you're giving up just like that?"

"That girl has no issues like me, Mike. I can't blame Kim for that. She knows there's no hope in us."

"What if she still wants you but she's just avoiding you because she thought you didn't want to be with her?" said Mike, waving his fork again. "Or maybe she’s avoiding you because she thought we're an item?"

Pie brought her hands up to massage her temples. "Uuggggnnnn..."

"One question, Pie: do you really love her?"

It surely sent a giddy feeling all over her body. Pie brought her hands down to look at him. She took a deep breath and weighed herself for the answer, the answer that she has not admitted even to herself up until now.

"I'm scared, Mike..."

"Scared...?"

"I'm so scared..." whispered Pie, clenching her fist. “This is the first time I've felt something like this. I... I feel so vulnerable around her, so out of control, so helpless, like my very breath depends on her..."

Mike reached out for her hand to comfort her.

"If I'd defy my mom now and be with her, will she be able to stand it with me? What if she'll leave me in the future? What would happen to me?"

"Shhh... you're thinking too much, Pie," said Mike, rubbing his thumb at the back of her hand. "Every relationship goes through something like that, like me and Sarah. But that's not what you should be thinking now. You're not even together yet for goodness sake. If you two have mutual feelings for each other I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be together."

"But what about my mom?"

"If you really love her then you've got to stand for it. Your mom will learn to accept it. Eventually."

Pie looked away with a pout.

"Don't let this one get away, Pie. It's hard to find someone to love, but it's harder to find someone who will love you back," said Mike, squeezing her hand. "If you're gonna let her go away without a fight, you'll eventually regret it in the future. You deserve the right to be happy, so do it, not for Kim or anyone else, do it for yourself."

It was really encouraging. Pie felt the heavy feeling on her chest becoming a little lighter. She was able to make out a small smile in response. "Thank you, Mike. Really."

"Anytime," he said, pulling his hand. "Now since it's your fault for pushing her away you need to make an effort to talk to her. "

"Look who we have here," suddenly a familiar voice from the back caught their attention.

Pie almost fell off her chair when she saw Yam and Kim approaching them. "Yam. Kim," she said, completely forgetting the proper way to construct a sentence.

"I knew it was you the moment we got in. I had to take a closer look to make sure," said Yam happily. "Oh, my apologies for the sudden intrusion. I'm Yam, by the way."

"Mike," said Mike, shaking her hand. He turned to look at Kim this time and waved at her. "Dude."

Kim beckoned her head to say hello. She then nudged Yam after. "Hey, c'mon, I'm hungry."

"Just a few more moments, Kim. Don't you feel excited seeing them here?"

"They are already enjoying their food. Let's stop disturbing them. Aunt In is already waiting for us."

"Nah, it's alright, it's perfectly fine. We're almost done here anyway," said Mike, wiping his mouth with the cloth napkin.

"Are you coming to the party tomorrow, Mike?" asked Yam.

"Party?"

"Uh, well, it's our company's foundation day tomorrow so there's no work to give way for the party in the afternoon," said Pie. "Every employee can bring a friend or a loved one along with them."

"Did you invite him, Pie?" asked Yam.

"Ah, no, no, he's busy, Yam."

"Oh, I see. Kim invited me for tomorrow."

Pie's eyes shifted to Kim who’s looking somewhere far. "Oh, that's cool. I guess I'll see you there, Yam."

"Oh my gosh, Pie. If you had told me earlier about it then maybe I shouldn't have made plans with MY GIRLFRIEND, " said Mike, winking at Pie discreetly.

Pie smiled at that, amused by how Mike had put emphasis on his words. She noticed from her peripheral vision how Kim's head turned to Mike after hearing what he said.

"It's okay, Mike. It's not like I'd be alone there. I have my team. Plus, you wouldn't want YOUR GIRLFRIEND to get mad at you by canceling your date, right?" said Pie, riding along.

"That would be World War 4," said Mike, laughing.

Yam looked confused and was obviously speechless. "Oh. Okay. So, we better go ahead. Fancy meeting you here, guys."

Mike and Pie waved as they watch the two pick a table on the other side of the area.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know they'd see us here," said Pie.

"You knew they'd come?"

"No, not really. But this restaurant is owned by Kim's aunt. When you asked me earlier where I wanted to go, I immediately thought of here because I always wanted to see this place. It never occurred to me that they'd be here tonight," said Pie, glancing at Kim and Yam's direction

She said she'd bring me here one time.

"Well, no harm done," said Mike, shrugging. He leaned back in his chair, his expression shifting to excitement. "Did you see Kim's face when she heard me? Hahaha!"

Pie couldn't hold of her giggle because she saw it too. "Yeah..."

"It only means one thing. She's not over you yet. Your objective is to make sure you talk to her tomorrow. Affirmative?"

Pie couldn't help but smile at Mike's soldier-like tone. "I surely will, sir," she said, giving a failed salute.

Mike patted her head. "That's my girl."