Hickey

HERSHE (TIAOM)

After one month, the team-building event finally came. It is something that they do annually to strengthen the bond and cooperation within each team.
 

Unlike last year, where the event took place during summer and held in a beach resort, this year will be held in a hotel resort instead to avoid rains. Unfortunately, the event was approved to take place on the latter part of the year, the season when the southwest monsoon is dominating.

Since they are a large-scale sized company, the management has decided that the outing will be held by batch. All the employees sharing the same floors will go together on the same day.

Pie is currently looking out the window. They are riding a coaster on board to their destination. If it weren’t for the lovey-dovey couple beside that keeps on distracting her, she would’ve surely enjoyed the scene outside.

"How many are you on your team again?" Jane asked Kim, her back completely facing Pie.

Kim relaxed her head first on the backrest while mentally counting her team-mates. "We're seven, including Van."

This time, Jane wrapped her arms around Kim's. "What do you guys usually do during your free time? I'm curious, how does a group of artists like you bond?"

"Mmmm, we're making fun of each other most of the time." Kim chuckled as if she remembered something funny. "The most common is editing someone's picture."

"Like?"

"Like putting Van's head on a body of a y--star! Hahaha!"

"Hihihi! So cute! I kinda want to see that y version of Van."

"You bet he's hot!"

The two just kept on laughing. Pie can't help but smile too while imagining Van's picture. She's not sure if she should be eavesdropping or not but she can't help overhearing their conversation.

She didn't plan on being where she's at right now. It was Jane who wanted them to sit beside each other. It was too late when Pie found out that Jane's plan was to put her on the third wheel.

After the long laughing session, Kim spoke, "How about yours, what do you guys do for fun?"

"We usually play the game 'answer a question with a question'," said Jane, leaning her head on Kim's shoulder.

"'Answer a question with a question'? What's that?"

"The mechanics are simple; someone starts a question and you just have to keep answering each other with questions."

"Wow. Sounds hard, huh."

"Yeah, I'm always the one who loses first." Jane pouted.

"Does everyone in your department participate in the game?" Kim asked.

"Yeah, everyone. We even form a circle to make it more fun."

"Well, it just seems to me that you have some serious teammates in your department," said Kim, nudging her chin towards Pie.

Jane, who had almost completely forgotten that they are not alone on the bus, and that Pie is sitting beside her, shifted her body and hugged Pie this time.

"It may not seem like that but Pie can be a jolly person, Kim."

"Oh really? I guess I haven't seen that side of her yet," Kim teased.

Since they were introduced, Jane has been showing Kim the above-the-normal-kindness a person could show to a new colleague. On the other hand, Pie was the opposite. Although she's not doing anything to annoy Kim, she isn't minding the newcomer like she's non-existent in the first place.

Pie continued to stare outside, pretending not to hear what Kim and Jane were talking about. Unknown to everyone, Pie is purposely ignoring Kim, not because she's irritated or what, but because she just doesn't like to be branded as one of Kim's victims.

"You might see it sooner once you start doing a project together," said Jane, grabbing Kim's arm again.

"I can't wait for it, Jane."

Pie eyed Kim for a second, giving her you'll-be-dead-when-that-time-comes glare.

Kim saw it and chuckled. "Hey, miss, I think you'll be prettier if you'll add a little smile on your face," she said, giving out the warmest smile she could.

It's effective most of the time but instead of Pie, it was Jane who fell for that smirk.

"Weeee! You're so cute, Kim!"

Although it may appear that she's snobbish, Pie cannot deny how she was moved by that smile. Kim has this certain charm, an irresistible charm, like a magnet, which can make any female hormones go wild.

Just to clear it up, she doesn't hate Kim. In fact, she agrees to the idea that Kim is kind, nice, gentle, and whatever. However, she sees Kim's kindness as an act of flirting. Kim's flirting with all the girls that she knows are interested in her. Pie had sworn to the idea of not joining that fan club.

While Jane is pinching Kim, Pie showed Kim her sarcastic smile with one eyebrow raised.

"Do you know what this smile means?"

Kim raised both hands. "Easy, easy there, princess. You're so serious. I just want some attention from her highness."

"Huh? Who are you calling princess? Princess your face," said Pie, rolling her eyes.

"You don't want princess? What do you prefer then, Amazon?"

Pie bit her lip and gave Kim the death glare.

Kim smelled trouble. She knew she'd be dead if she'll continue. She signaled a peace sign on her left hand and said, "Peace! The last thing I wanted to do is to get in trouble with an Amazon."

"You —"

Pie doesn't know what's gotten into her. She felt the urge to pinch Kim's arm for punishment but since Jane is holding on it tightly, she went for the cheek instead.

"You want attention, right? Here it is!"

"Aw! Aw! Ow!"

Pie let go of her victim. "Hmp!"

Kim rubbed a palm over her abused cheek. "For a small hand like yours, it really hurts big time, you know..."

Kim took her hand off her cheek and Jane gasped. "Oh, my... Pie, I think you went a little too far on that."

"What?" Kim doesn't have a single clue about it.

Pie looked at the reddened cheek and poked it. "Does it still hurt?"

"Hell yeah..."

"I guess it left a mark on your face, Kim," admitted Pie, sounding apologetic.

Weird. She looks cute even with that red mark.

"What?" Kim covered her cheek right away. "Is it gonna stay there long?"

"I think so. I might have pinched you way too harder.”

"Yeah, I can still feel your fingers — no, your nails — on my face. Jeez. Does it look bad?" Kim showed them her cheek again.

For once, Jane and Pie agreed on one thing about Kim and immediately shook their heads no.

"It actually looks like a kiss mark. Check it." Jane handled Kim a small mirror.

Kim stared at her right cheek. "I can't believe it. Pie left a hickey on my face."

"What did you say!" Pie reacted so hard because she imagined how it was done.

"It really does look like a hickey, Pie. Now I'm getting jealous," said Jane.

"How long is it gonna be here?" asked Kim, still looking in the mirror.

Jane took a closer look. "Maybe for a day or two."

Kim returned the mirror to Jane. "Jeez, Pie. You left a hickey on the most obvious part of my body. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk."

Pie rolled her eyes. "It's not intentional, and it's not a hickey."

"What should I call it then?"

"I don't know." Pie shrugged. "Maybe call it a bruise or a pinch mark perhaps?"

"I knew it! It's an Amazon's curse!"

Pie rolled her eyes and turned back to the window.

After an hour the lovely-doves became silent. Pie didn't notice it because she was astounded by the beautiful scenery they are passing by. She glanced to her right and found Kim and Jane sleeping. Jane's head was firmly resting on Kim's shoulder with her arms interlocked in Kim's arm. The latter's head was also comfortably leaning on Jane's.

Just as I thought, you're really flirty.

---

They end up in a high-end hotel resort. The place is specifically designed for events. It has its own bar and restaurant inside. There's also an art museum and facilities for recreational activities.

Since they were the last batch of employees to go out for an outing, they were also the fewest. They are staying there for two days and one night. Employees were divided into two persons per room.

Of course, Pie shares the room with Jane. Although it is obvious that Jane wants Kim to be her roommate, she doesn't want to leave Pie hanging. Kim was partnered with Nerd, one of the graphic artists in their department. Nerd doesn't talk much; in fact, it's hard to get a reaction from her. Sometimes it's better to talk to a wall than to talk to Nerd.

"I am so glad I'll be staying in the same room with Van!" Puey gladly announced to Pie and Jane. He is also one of the writers in their department who's openly gay.

"How in the world did you do it? Did you ask someone to exchange rooms?" asked Jane curiously, as if wanting to exchange rooms with Nerd.

"No, no! That is called fate, darling!" Puey replied with conviction.

"Oooh, someone has his lucky day, huh?" Pie nudged him. Everyone in the office knows of his major crush on Van.

Puey laughed out loud in excitement. "I can't wait for this day to end so we could all go to our rooms and sleep. Wihihihi!"

"Are you going to make Van a bad boy tonight?" Jane knows what's on Puey's mind.

"Hihihihi! Don't worry, I'll save some for Pie."

Jane saw Kim and Nerd passing by the area. "Hey, Kim, which room are you staying at?"

Kim looked down at the paper in her hand. "Uh, 303. How about you?"

Pie smiled upon seeing Kim's reddened cheek. She still can't believe that she had done that.

"We're in 301," Jane answered.

"Okay. We'll see you then." Kim smiled.

"Well," Jane continued, "if you get bored, you could come to our room. I'll give you a real hickey this time."

"Wow! That was straight Jane!" said Puey.

Pie facepalmed herself, feeling embarrassed at Jane's flirting. Unconsciously, she studied Kim's reaction.

Kim blushed and scratched her head. She gestured that she'll be going to their room now.

After all the activities for the day, they all retired to their rooms. Pie was amused by the faces of some female colleagues who were obviously jealous of the idea that a girl had put a hickey on Kim's face. Kim didn't say anything about it nor answered any questions. She just smiled at them. Although Pie is not sure, she's feeling that Kim is doing that to protect her from the possible fury of the fangirls.

She may not admit it to herself but she's a bit proud of it, to be the reason for that "hickey". And the funny thing about it is that Kim seems to be proud of it too. It's like she's indirectly telling her fangirls, although not true, that she has a girlfriend. But this is just what Pie hopes for, yeah, she's hoping that Kim thinks the same way.

"Where are you going? It's already ten o'clock," asked Jane when she saw her friend preparing to go outside.

Pie raised her phone. "I'm gonna call my mom. Signal here is jammed."

"Oh. Then I'll just be staying here, okay."

"Yeah, you should be. Kim might stop by, you know. I guess I better disappear for a while."

Although she said it that way, Pie is hoping that it won't happen. She doesn't like Kim the way the others do but she knows she'll be completely turned off if Kim will really show up tonight.

---

Pie ended the call with her mom when it started raining. She's far from the hotel room right now and needs to find a place to shed for a while or else she'll be dripping wet.

Stupid rain! Why now? I need to hurry back to the room. Kim might go there.

Although she's hoping that Kim won't do that, there's still a part in her that knows the possibility. It's not impossible though since Kim and Jane have this "flirtatious relationship". All she wanted right now is to go back to her room so she could see it herself, or maybe distract Jane and Kim in case they've decided to have their hickey-moment.

Stupid rain is getting harder. It has been cloudy the entire day, maybe a reason for the hard rainfall tonight. She found a small unoccupied cottage, the one with a roof and one table only. Perfect place to shed until the rain stops.

Pie sat on the table while attempting to dry herself with her handkerchief. She's only wearing denim shorts and a sleeveless shirt. The little rain exposure made her look like she's already drenched.

The night is almost turning out bad for her. Suddenly, she heard a clank sound of a bottle hitting the metal table she's sitting on. She turned around.

Who's that?

The person behind greeted her with a wide grin.

"Hey, 'sup, Amazon?"