Family

HERSHE (TIAOM)

"I always knew that our meeting in Taipei wasn't by accident. We were really meant to meet there for some reasons," said Yam, pointing a finger at the receipt in front of her.

Kim looked down carefully at the paper and signed on it. "Whatever, serendipity lover."

Yam playfully hit her in her arm. "Yah! You wouldn't get Pie if it wasn't for me, right?"

"And you wouldn't have met Van if I didn't invite you to the party, right? I know what's your pointing out, Yam. Why are you being so nostalgic?"

"It's because today is my second anniversary of being together with Van! Have you forgotten that?"

"Oh? Is it really today?" Kim glanced at her watch to check the date. "Wow. How time really flies, huh? So, are you two going out later or what?"

"We're going on vacation for three days!" Yam excitedly exclaimed.

"Ah, yeah? Where this time?"

"Singapore."

"So, you're really over Taipei now, huh?"

"Taipei will always have a special place in my heart, Kim," said Yam, smiling faintly. "But yeah, I have to move on someday, right?"

"And you've got the right to be happy."

"Exactly."

Kim stared at Yam, realizing how special their friendship had become through the years. "I'm happy you're with Van, Yam. That dude is a real nice guy."

"You're just saying that because Van and Pie didn't end up together…"

"You're probably right," said Kim, chuckling.

"Oh, by the way, Van kept on complaining how their department got boring since you left them."

"Oh, c'mon." Kim slapped her palm on the counter. "I quit my job almost two years ago and he hasn't adapted to it yet?"

"Maybe he just misses you?"

"Or maybe he misses my visitors before? Aw!" Kim earned herself a slap from Yam.

"Van isn't as flirty as you, Kim, hmp!"

"He's just good in hiding it," Kim retorted, rubbing her cheek.

Yam glared at her.

Unaffected by the glare, Kim casually leaned her elbows on the counter. "Let's hang out sometime; you and Van, me and Pie..."

"Sounds good! I think we should do it at least once a month. I rarely see you now after you opened your studio."

Kim sighed at that. "Yeah, I've been really busy. Dad's putting more pressure on it."

"But at least you know that your business is in good hands, right?"

"Yeah..." Kim shrugged. "At least I'm doing now what I really wanted to do since then." She felt her phone vibrated in her pocket and checked on it. "Alright. The queen has already texted me. I need to go now."

Yam raised an eyebrow. "Queen?"

Kim chuckled. "Pie's mom. She said Pie's in my apartment now and wants me to surprise her."

"Wow. Finally in good terms with your 'in-law', huh?"

"We're getting there, Yam, slowly but surely. Besides love conquers all, right?"

Yam grimaced immediately. "Ew! Corny!"

"Oh, c'mon! Let me be!"

"Just shut up and take your flowers now," said Yam, handling Kim the bouquet she ordered. "What's with those, by the way? I bet you've done something to piss Pie again, huh?"

"Well," Kim started, scrunching up her face, "let's just say that we haven't seen each other for a week... and I missed our third anniversary..."

Yam's eyes widened. "What? Jeez. You're in trouble, Kim. BIG trouble."

"I know, I know. The queen even scolded me for making the princess upset," sighed Kim. "I told Pie I'll be out with my dad for three days only but something came up. We had to stay in Seoul for a week."

"Let me know the address of your funeral so I could send you flowers, okay?"

"You're crazy, Yam."

"Good luck with Pie later."

"I'll call you if I make it out alive."

---

Kim had to walk back a few blocks from the flower shop where she had parked her car. Out of nowhere, she spotted a familiar figure walking on the other side of the street holding a coffee.

Long legs, slim figure, and that y signature walk; she could not be mistaken. The woman might have had changed her hairstyle and might be dressing a bit more different now but Kim surely knows who she is.

Without having second thoughts she crossed the road and followed the figure.

"Umm, excuse me, miss...?"

The woman turned around and her eyes widened right away. "K-Kim?"

"I knew it was you, Nammy!"

"Oh, Kimmy!" The two hugged right away. "Oh, my gosh! How are you?"

"I'm good! How about you?"

"Still the same," said Nam, pulling back from the hug to observe Kim from head to foot. "Wow, what are you doing here?"

"Just some errands. How about you, are you on vacation or something?"

"Well, I'm kind of stuck here in Bangkok."

"Really? Did you quit your job?"

"Uh, sort of?" Nam chuckled. "Not really. But Shone and I have decided to build a modeling agency and we're kind of in a startup stage right now."

"Wow. For real?"

"Yeah, why you looked surprised?"

"Well, I'm managing a studio with my dad after I quit my job two years ago," said Kim.

"Wow! Are you serious? What a coincidence! I'm actually thinking of which photographer we should get. Would you be happy to provide your services to an old friend?"

"It'll be my pleasure, mademoiselle." Kim pulled out a wallet and handed Nam a calling card. "There. Contact me anytime you like."

Nam stared at the card with a smile plastered on her face. "I guess you're doing what you've really wanted now, hmmm?"

"Yeah, it gives me a sense of completion."

"That's nice. And thanks for this," said Nam, waving the card. "Expect a call from me anytime soon."

Kim nodded. "So... you two are still together, huh?"

"Yeah, still fighting," said Nam, balling a hand in a fist. "How about you? I assume those flowers are for a special girl, right?"

Kim glanced at the flowers, didn't realize that she was holding it while following Nam. "Yeah..."

"Is it for the same girl three years ago?"

"Mmm-mmm, same girl."

Nam ran a hand through her hair. "Oh, I knew it, Kim, I knew she's the one for you."

Kim absently scratched her head while blushing.

"It's been three years already, right?" asked Nam.

Kim nodded. She knew that Nam isn't talking about Pie this time.

Nam stared down at her coffee. "Can't believe that three years just flew like that so fast..."

Kim pressed her lips together, hesitating to say what's on her mind. "Is it okay for me now to say that I missed you?"

Nam looked back at Kim, smiling. "Of course. I missed you too, Kimmy."

Kim let out a loud exhale of relief upon hearing that. "So... um... are we good now?"

"I think so. I assumed 3 years has healed us both, right?"

Kim hummed to agree. "I just hope you won't go away this time around."

"There's no reason to run away anymore, Kim."

"Does that mean we could hang out with Zee again like before?"

"Why not include Pie and Shone in the circle? And whoever is Zee's current girlfriend because she changes from time to time, right?"

Kim laughed. "Don't worry. She's in a steady relationship now."

"Oh, I guess everything's falling in the right place, huh?"

"Couldn't agree more."

Nam looked at her wristwatch and sighed. "As much as I want to talk to you, Kimmy, I really have to go now."

"Where are you going? Want me to drive you?"

"No need. My place is just there," said Nam, pointing at the near building. "I just went out to get a coffee. Shone's waiting for me inside."

"Oh, I see." Kim stared at the building. It took her long enough before realizing that Nam is staring at her. "What?" asked Kim, feeling a little conscious.

"You look good. Pie's taking care of you well..."

"You still look as amazing as ever, Nam," said Kim, gesturing her head. "And I'm surprised that you still remember Pie's name."

"Oh, c'mon, Kim, how could I forget her?" Nam chuckled.

"You're right. I wasn't able to forget Shone's name either."

They went back to being silent again, feeling a little awkward. It's obvious now that they want to talk to each other however this isn't the right time for it yet.

"So, I guess, we'll see each other soon?" Nam reached an arm around Kim's neck and kissed her cheek. "Bye for now, Kim. It's really nice to see you again."

"Take care," said Kim, lightly tapping Nam's back.

The two pulled back from the hug. "Uh, Kim?"

"Yeah?"

"Ummm, do you think your girlfriend would mind if I'd go out with you alone one time?"

Kim looked away with a smirk on her face. She turned back to Nam. "As long as your boyfriend doesn't mind then I think we could really do that. I mean, I'd love to do that."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, as long as I tell Pie about it then it's fine."

"Tell her it's nothing romantic, just for old time's sake, just to catch things up. I missed my Kimmy, you know."

"Don't worry, she'll understand it. And yes, I missed my Nammy too."

"Perfect."

---

Kim opened the door to her apartment, Her eyes scanned the room, looking for Pie.

Kim went inside, checked her bedroom first and found Pie not in there either. It is when she heard the sound of the running shower did she realize where her girlfriend is. She decided to stay silent so she could surprise Pie when she gets out.

Kim put down the flowers on the bedside table and decided to lie down on her bed. She is too tired from the traveling that she didn't notice she was dozing off.

After some time, Kim felt trickles of water droplets on her face. She tiredly opened her eyes just to see a curtain of wet hair in her view.

"Uh..." Kim tried but she couldn't move because Pie's weight is on top of hers.

Pie is smiling widely. She poked Kim's cheek. "Hey. I missed you..."

"Oh, how's my baby, hmmm?" Kim responded lazily.

Pie pouted, resting her head on Kim's chest. "You missed our anniversary..." she said, wagging her feet.

Kim caged her girlfriend in her arms and realized that Pie's only wearing a towel around her body. "Oh, I'm sorry. One of dad's major clients moved the meeting a few days after the planned one."

"You shouldn't have come with him," said Pie, looking up.

"I know. I won't next time," said Kim, running her hands on Pie's hair. "Or better yet, I should bring you with me."

Pie smiled and brought her head in the crook of Kim's neck. Not too long she started sniffing. Before Kim could react to it Pie got off her and fixed the towel on her body.

"Tsk. Gosh, Kim, who is it this time?"

"Huh?" Kim knew what those looks meant. She's done something wrong and she needs to figure out what it is.

"You met up with a woman before you went here, right?"

"Y-yeah, I went to Yam's to buy you flowers," said Kim, pointing at the bedside table.

Pie sighed. "I'm already familiar with Yam's perfume, Kim, and it isn't hers. So tell me, who it is now? Is she one of those models who love hugging you?"

Kim sat up on the bed. "Hey, why are you talking like I'm cheating on you?"

"I didn't say that, okay?" Pie folded her arms across her chest and rolled her eyes. "I'm just noticing how you love being around your models..."

"It's because our work requires that we have to get along well. But you have to understand that it's purely work, Pie..."

"Work," Pie scoffed. "Perfect excuse to flirt around, huh? Does work includes one of them kissing you on the cheek?"

"Ugh..." Kim covered her face with her palms in irritation. "How many times should I tell you that she was a new model?"

"Could you blame me for getting mad? She kissed you in front of me, Kim, in front of me!" said Pie, pointing at herself. "Urgh! I swear I could really kill her now if I see her. Ugh!"

"It's because she doesn't know yet that we're together that time, okay? She apologized to me after she found out."

"Admit it, you weren't planning on telling her about us in the first place, right?"

"Huh? Why are you talking like I'm the only one with issues here?"

"What? Are you bringing that one up again?" asked Pie, walking back and forth around the room. "For your information, what happened to me before was not my fault. The guy assumed that I like him."

"Maybe because you gave him signs?"

"I was just being nice because he's a new employee, Kim."

"So, being nice means letting him hold your hand, huh?"

"I tripped on the stairs, Kim, for goodness sake!" said Pie, ruffling her hair in frustration. "Why don't you just believe me?"

Kim sighed loudly and massaged her temples with her fingers. There was an awful silence in the room while the two were waiting for someone to surrender first. After a short while, Kim decided to stand up and walk to Pie to hug her from behind.

"Don't touch me," said Pie, irritated.

"Hey, baby, look, I'm sorry, okay?" whispered Kim, wrapping her arms around Pie's waist. "Can we not fight now? We haven't seen each other for a week and I missed you so much..."

Pie finally softened. She hugged Kim's arm around her and partly turned her head aside to glance at her lover. "I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to suspect you of anything."

Kim hooked her chin on Pie's shoulder "Believe me, I have not thought of cheating on you, Pie, not even once."

Pie gave a quick peck on the cheek. "Do you still love me?"

"Of course, I do. Always."

"Even though I act like a child at times?"

Kim smirked. "That's why you're a baby, right?"

Pie turned around and wrapped her arms around Kim's neck. "I love you, honey. I love you."

"Oh, I love you too." Kim pulled back from the hug and brushed the stray hair away from Pie's face. She leaned over for a kiss.

Pie immediately stopped Kim. "Wait, not yet..."

"What? Why?"

"Tell me honestly, who is it that you met today?"

"Oh, that. You really don't forget things easily, huh?" Kim smiled.

"Of course, I should keep track of your fangirls. Now tell me, who is it this time?"

Kim hesitated at first but continued. "It was Nam."

"Oh. You didn't tell me she's here..."

"I didn't know. It wasn't planned. I ran into her today and we hugged like twice so I smelled like her perfume now."

"So... what did you guys talk about...?"

"Just quick catching up, how is she, where is she working, you know, just stuff..."

"Is she single?"

Kim smiled. " Hmm, don't tell me you're jealous of her too?"

Pie pouted and looked away.

Kim pinched Pie's chin with her fingers. "Hey, hey. No need to be jealous. She's still with Shone, okay?"

"But that doesn't mean that you cannot have feelings for each other, right?"

"Hey, it's not like that..." Kim cupped Pie's face to turn it to her. "You know what I realized when I saw her? I realized that what we had before is just part of the past; that I'm really over her now. My world doesn't revolve around her anymore."

"Hmp."

"Hey, stop worrying. Nam and I are impossible, okay?"

Pie turned to her with her puppy eyes. "Are you sure you're not gonna leave me for her?"

"Of course I won't. Where did you get that notion?"

"I'm just worried," said Pie, looking down. "I really can't imagine my life now without you in it."

"Aww, my poor baby," said Kim, hugging her girlfriend tightly. "I wouldn't want to leave your side either. I can't even contain the thought of some other guy taking care of you. I won't let you go that easily Pie, even you want to break free from me."

Pie smiled at that. "You've got to keep your word."

"I surely would."

Kim kissed Pie's forehead, down to her nose, and eventually capturing her lips. It was a kiss with enthusiasm since they've been missing each other for days now.

Getting carried away, Kim slowly led Pie to lean back against the nearest wall; one hand around her waist and one hand supporting Pie's head. Kim's hand slowly reached up to remove the towel which has been separating their bodies.

"And what are you doing?" asked Pie, stopping Kim.

Kim leaned an arm against the wall. "Um, don't you think it's getting a bit hot in here?" she asked, tracing a finger on Pie's collarbone.

"You just need a cold shower."

"You think so?" Kim's fingers were trailing on Pie's shoulder this time. "Do you think you could shower with me?"

"I just came from the shower, Kim..."

"But I thought you missed me?" Kim pouted exaggeratedly.

"I do, but I still have a meeting with mom's haute couture in an hour," said Pie, rubbing their nose together.

"Wow. So they're really tying the knot?"

"Mmm-mmm. Well, you should be happy, right? Ever since he came my mom has been light on you."

"Yeah, I have to agree to that."

"And since you're here you might want to pick something to wear too."

"Wait, am I invited?"

"Of course," said Pie. "You should be invited. Haven't you received an invitation yet?"

Kim just shrugged.

Pie scratched her head. "Oh. I'll talk to her about it."

"No need, Pie. I perfectly understand. It might really take her time to accept me, okay?"

"But it's been three years, Kim. What does she want you to prove to her?"

"We'll get there soon, don't worry. But before that, you're forgetting something..." Kim stopped, kissing Pie again.

Ding! Dong!

Pie was the first one who pulled away from the kiss. "I think you should get that," she said, walking towards the closet.

Kim rolled her eyes. "Ugh. Disturbance. Did you order something?"

"Nope."

"Maybe they got the wrong room number?"

Ding! Dong!

"Nope, it's really for you, Kimhan. Now go and get it."

"Ugh..."

"Or do you want me to get it for you while I'm wearing this?"

Kim rolled her eyes again. "Fine. Don't get dressed yet, okay?"

"Whatever." Pie chuckled.

---

"Delivery for Kimhan Buranaphan?"

"Yup, it's me."

"Please sign here."

After signing the paper, the delivery man gave Kim a brown envelope. It was from Pie's mom.

Kim opened the envelope and found a wedding invitation card and two plane tickets.

Lastly, she found a small note inside. Kim's lips lined a smile after reading it.

"What's that?" said Pie, peeking from the bedroom.

"You mom just sent me an invitation for her wedding," said Kim, walking back to the room.

"Oh, see? I knew she'd invite you."

"It's not only that," Kim continued, placing the envelope on the edge of the bed, "she sent us plane tickets to Hong Kong as an anniversary gift."

Pie, who's now busy in the closet, stopped for a second. "Wow. This is the first time she's done that, right?"

"Yeah, I'd have to thank her boyfriend for that, haha!"

"You really should. Maybe we should buy them present soon, what do you think?" asked Pie, rummaging through the closet.

"Hey, what are you doing?"

"Choosing my clothes, why?"

"Who says you can change now, huh?" said Kim, grabbing Pie by the waist.

"Kiiim!" Pie squealed and shrieked with laughter.

"No, you're not going anywhere, young lady." Kim half-carried and half-dragged Pie towards the bed.

Pie tried to fight back but Kim has already thrown her on the bed and falls on top of her. "Kim, I still have an appointment, okay?"

"I know, and I'll drive you there, don't worry, we'll go there together." Kim playfully kisses Pie on her neck and shoulders. "Mmmm! You smell nice!"

Pie couldn't control her giggling. "Kim... can we... can we do this later? I don't want to be late..."

Kim gave Pie a mischievous smile as she runs her fingers playfully over the towel. "I'll help you change then."

Pie flinched immediately, stopping Kim's hand from removing the towel on her body. "Nah-uh, I swear I'm gonna shout for help if you do that."

Kim looked down at Pie with amazement. "Wow. But why do you seem excited about it, huh?"

Pie laughed at that. "Seriously, Kim, I really should change now."

"Well, I'm serious about not letting you go that easy, princess."

Kim pinned her victim's hands down on either side of her head and launched to execute her evil plan.

"Kim! KIM!" Pie's mixed chuckle and squeals echoed through the room.

The brown envelope fell from the bed with the small note, invitation, and plane tickets scattered on the floor. The note was the side where it reveals what's written on it:

 

Kimhan,

I could never thank you enough for taking care of my daughter these past three years. I know that dealing with me wasn't easy on your part but I'm still glad that you managed to stick with me and Pie.

I've sent you plane tickets as an anniversary gift. I hope you both stay happy and that you continue to love my daughter especially now that I'll be somebody's wife again soon.

I hope to see you, your dad and your aunt at my wedding!

Love,

Mom

P.s.

Welcome to the family :)

 

- fin -